Thread: Dale Davis vs. James Jones

Hybrid View

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Dale Davis vs. James Jones

New topic, similar question.

If the Pacers are able to retain only one of these two guys, who would you prefer to keep?

Default Re: Dale Davis vs. James Jones

I'd keep Dale first. We need him more than we need James right now.

I'd keep Dale. Assuming the price is about the same

I'd keep James. While we don't really need more SF's, I see him as a very good future player and a good long term investment. (Admittedly, I thought the same about Bender... in 2002)!

Quote Originally Posted by twscholl
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd keep James. While we don't really need more SF's, I see him as a very good future player and a good long term investment. (Admittedly, I thought the same about Bender... in 2002)!
    Agreed.

But I'd rather drop one of our other players and keep both.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Go for the top - I'm hungry for the win and I want to see the Pacers fitted for thier rings this year. Even at 10 minutes a game, Dale brings something in the here and now that JJ just can't.

Later, James. Thanks for everything and good luck spending all the cash from your big contract on another team. I hope we won't meet in the playoffs.

canyoufeelit

This is easy. Dale is old and his skills are declining, JJ is young and his skills are coming around very nicely.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This is a very hard choice. Keep Dale the vet,for what we need now, a big man to battle the Wallace's and such.

Or keep James Jones, the young forward who's skills are improving and will be good in a matter of years.

It's a case of Now vs Future.

I'm sick of hearing about the future or "wait 'till next year" .

So I choose to keep Dale.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

bye bye Gill..... but seeing as we still have Pollard I'll say Keep James, it's tough because i love Dale and he's a true pacer at heart but James is aaaaigghhhttt

if Harrison doesen't get 12-6 this year then bugga...

Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...

I absolutely Love Dale, I always have, and I was really crushed when he was traded. I really want him to spend the rest of his career in Indy and get a proper send off and I think that he brings game with him. He is, however, getting older, and thats where I am at a crossroads.

I've said it before, and I still believe it, James Jones has amazing potential, he has such a Reggie-type glow around him.I think that it would be totally cold to just get rid of Dale, there is too much history there, too much of....something; however, if we get rid of JJ, I think that would be a HUGE mistake.

So for now, I say toss Bender, because Dale, though old, could play more than 72 games over 6 seasons,and he really really brings it and has more of a mind for the game.
    Life without water is tough, life without air is hard,life with one leg only is wobbly, Life without Reggie Miller, is impossible.

Do Not Trade Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Brunner
    Veteran Austin Croshere, the longest-tenured Pacers player on the roster, has proven reliable when called upon, invariably ready to step in regardless of the circumstance.

3ptmiller

Quote Originally Posted by 8.9_seconds
    I absolutely Love Dale, I always have, and I was really crushed when he was traded. I really want him to spend the rest of his career in Indy and get a proper send off and I think that he brings game with him. He is, however, getting older, and thats where I am at a crossroads.

I've said it before, and I still believe it, James Jones has amazing potential, he has such a Reggie-type glow around him.I think that it would be totally cold to just get rid of Dale, there is too much history there, too much of....something; however, if we get rid of JJ, I think that would be a HUGE mistake.

So for now, I say toss Bender, because Dale, though old, could play more than 72 games over 6 seasons,and he really really brings it and has more of a mind for the game.

Given a choice I would keep both.

However..........

DD will likley command to much money from elsewhere for us to keep him and please despite all the love for DD he will likely bring spot minutes as last season made it clear that doing 20 mpg is something he no longer has in the tank certainly not with his way of playing.
    He would be a great teacher to Hulk and ideal for spot minutes (share them with polly) but you have to wonder how much that is worth.
    It is not a question of either but a matter of what does DD accept to stay, and he has a history of demanding slightly more then realistic or available.
    DD has a great chance of playing for a real contender in a place he says he loves, if that means or 2 million less, then the choice is his, not ours.

JJ has far more upside, and I keep saying I see him slowly moving from the SF position to (either, depending on Rick) backup PF or, far more likely, backup SG.
    I still see in JJ the future SG of this team, but I seem to be alone in that thought, so if we keep him we'll talk about that again in a year or two.

If you have to choose between the evening and the morning, there is no real choice to be made, but if you can not sustain the night, you better go for the morning because the evening will come eventually, while if you choose the evening, it might become night sooner then you think.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Quote Originally Posted by able

If you have to choose between the evening and the morning, there is no real choice to be made, but if you can not sustain the night, you better go for the morning because the evening will come eventually, while if you choose the evening, it might become night sooner then you think.
    The night might come sooner than you think if you choose the morning. So the thing to do is to choose the afternoon and not have to worry about morning, noon, or night.

Don't think JJ is gonna be cheap. As more and more FA's re-sign with their own teams, that leaves the space-heavy teams desperate for signings. Hell, if Miami loses Damon, they alone will throw a good deal of money at JJ.

Not to pull a Peck, but if JJ blows up, where exactly would we play him? He's still gonna be behind Jack, Ron, and (hopefully) Granger. Add in recently acquired 2-guard Cabbage, and the argument could be made there's no room for either of the Jones boys.

As for whom to pick, JJ's the better prospect, hell, he could be the better player this year. But signing him would be superfluous now. We need a big body, especially if we cut Cro or trade Pollard. I'd rather it be Dale Davis than John Edwards.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

woman without a team

As much as it pains me to say I'd keep JJ.

ok in which case: expect the MLE to be around 5.7 this year, therefore we have about 2 million left to sign DD, if that is to little, then sorry .
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!