Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Montieth just on 950...

Default Re: Montieth just on 950...

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Gill + Pollard for Al
    You can pray all night, guy. Won't do any good. Billy Knight is much more savy than that. If someone gets Al, they will have to give up a good player or a good pick probably.

Quote Originally Posted by foretaz

theres probably only 2 reasons u even think of bringing al back here....

and before i go into those, im not a real big fan of the idea....i dont believe al would be happy here, especially with what role he would have here, now....nevermind hes in the final year of his contract, and would like to make an impression, and he simply wouldnt get the playing time he wants....

1) his relationship with jo and what he might be able to do from a team chemistry standpoint(avoiding the obvious-if hes unhappy with pt , etc)....hes jo's bud and seemed(some may correct me here) to get along with artest ok...his presence MIGHT make jo happier and might have a melding effect where jo and artest are concerned....either way, jo would love having him around...

2) he would be a solid low post threat, something we probably could use....being jo's primary backup he could provide a threat down low, especially if harrisons development doesnt go as quickly as is hoped....and god forbid jo go down again, hes a helluva guy to have waiting in the wings...

i still dont really like it....we already have a shortage of minutes amongst quality players....and despite him being an expiring contract he could just as easily be a disruption as an asset...that being said, he could be traded pretty easily at the trade deadline as well....probably would get us more than pollard would....so i can see an argument for both sides...
    Guessing on what Al would do with team chemistry is a two-sided coin. Would JO be happy he's back? From everything we've read, sure. But this team, the one we saw last year, has to build its own kind of chemistry. Brawl included.

Does Al fit that? Who knows? Pure guesswork.

On point two ... I hate the idea of Al Harrington as a primary backup to Jermaine O'Neal. It's either a) he's getting way too much pay for 12-18 minutes of play or b) JO and Al are maning the paint. B is a horribly scary thought, don't you think?

The Spurs brought Horry in, slid Duncan to the five, and went with it. Two problems. One, O'Neal is no Duncan (not that I have to say that). Two, both O'Neal and Harrington's greatest strength is a offensive post game. Neither are adept passers out of the post. That'd get ugly fast. Horry, on the other hand, would drop bombs but keep on forgetting that he's old and played crappy defense.

I realize you're not a fan of this idea, either, but I just wanted to continue my rant. The Al Harrington idea - which I've never even considered remotely possible or discussed - just makes me want to throw up all over Conseco Fieldhouse.

Talking Re: Montieth just on 950...

Quote Originally Posted by Kraft
    I still don't get the infatuation with bringing Al Harrington back. We saw what happened when he played behind O'Neal and Artest,
    You mean runner up 6th man of the year???????

foretaz

and as far as jo having a buddy on the team....i wouldnt mind if he talked to his buddy brian grant, and talked him into coming to pacer land...hes got bad knees like al, is buds with jo like al, would be loved by all his teammates like al, but wouldnt be worried about his next contract and his playing time like al

Quote Originally Posted by Kraft
    Guessing on what Al would do with team chemistry is a two-sided coin. Would JO be happy he's back? From everything we've read, sure. But this team, the one we saw last year, has to build its own kind of chemistry. Brawl included.

Does Al fit that? Who knows? Pure guesswork.

On point two ... I hate the idea of Al Harrington as a primary backup to Jermaine O'Neal. It's either a) he's getting way too much pay for 12-18 minutes of play or b) JO and Al are maning the paint. B is a horribly scary thought, don't you think?

The Spurs brought Horry in, slid Duncan to the five, and went with it. Two problems. One, O'Neal is no Duncan (not that I have to say that). Two, both O'Neal and Harrington's greatest strength is a offensive post game. Neither are adept passers out of the post. That'd get ugly fast. Horry, on the other hand, would drop bombs but keep on forgetting that he's old and played crappy defense.

I realize you're not a fan of this idea, either, but I just wanted to continue my rant. The Al Harrington idea - which I've never even considered remotely possible or discussed - just makes me want to throw up all over Conseco Fieldhouse.

You've a short memory. Two years ago when Reggie was out at the beginning of the season and we were finishing with Jermaine/Al and Ron at the 2 spot,we POSITIVELY DESTROYED teams. And the good teams too. Not just beat them. Beat the ***** out of them. It was an awesome combination that teams couldn't match up with. I'd take it again in a minute.

foretaz

the biggest problem bringing al back would be the battle for minutes....

and considering that would most likely stunt the growth of both harrison and granger.....im not sure the upside of such a move would be worth it....

Quote Originally Posted by PacerMan
    You've a short memory. Two years ago when Reggie was out at the beginning of the season and we were finishing with Jermaine/Al and Ron at the 2 spot,we POSITIVELY DESTROYED teams. And the good teams too. Not just beat them. Beat the ***** out of them. It was an awesome combination that teams couldn't match up with. I'd take it again in a minute.
    The beauty of regular-season basketball ...

That team wasn't even remotely built for a championship.