Thread: When will Chuck Pagano (finally) get fired?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default When will Chuck Pagano (finally) get fired?

It's not a matter of if, but when, Chuck is no longer coaching the Colts. Will he survive the entire season, or will the wheels come completely off, forcing Irsay/Ballard to pull the trigger earlier?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: When will Chuck Pagano (finally) get fired?

End of the season if it's up to Irsay.

Mid-season if Irsay lets Ballard make the call.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    End of the season if it's up to Irsay.

Mid-season if Irsay lets Ballard make the call.
    And last Sunday around 7:30 if it was up to the fans. Actually, earlier, but I digress .........

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Just gonna throw out this possibility, despite the awkwardness of it: what if Pagano's cancer comes back? It would be #ChuckStrong revisited. Would Irsay still make the necessary move, or would he chicken out and say he can't fire someone going through that? This is why I think he should have been let go last year or the year before.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckSwagger View Post
    Just gonna throw out this possibility, despite the awkwardness of it: what if Pagano's cancer comes back? It would be #ChuckStrong revisited. Would Irsay still make the necessary move, or would he chicken out and say he can't fire someone going through that? This is why I think he should have been let go last year or the year before.
    Chuck is done this season. I think he'll last the season just because I think Irsay has his eyes set on a particular coach or two and won't want to risk a mid-season replacement, interim, coach stealing the thunder. Plus, the Colts get the benefit of the losing record. Irsay isn't afraid to lose short term to win long term. And there's a built in excuse to lose this season right now. That is something the Pacer would never even consider.

I don't think speculating on a return of cancer is all that productive, and I don't think it would change things anyhow. At that point I think Pagano, seeing the writing on the wall, would retire for his health (as well as the good of the team so that they could move forward) making the entire line of speculation a moot point.
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

If Luck was playing, and things looked this bad, Pagano would be gone sooner rather than later. But with Luck out, there's not much reason to consider firing Chuck rather than just take advantage of the losing record and replace him after the season with Irsay's and Ballard's preferred choice. No interim confusion to muddle through.

IOW, with Luck out, there's not much hope of saving the season anyhow. Why waste or risk an opportunity for a higher draft pick?
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by LuckSwagger View Post
    He can always buy a plan on the Obamacare exchanges and get full coverage.

Plus, he makes millions of $ a year so he can absorb a medical emergency.
    Last edited by hoosierguy; 09-12-2017 at 01:22 PM.

End of season there's no point to this team in its current state to fire a coach midseason.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    End of season there's no point to this team in its current state to fire a coach midseason.
    I will add the caveat... IF they could get their guy now and not risk losing him to another team in the off season, plus get a head start on next season's prep, then I could see them making that move. But I can't think of anyone on their short list that is currently available. So they'd need to wait until the off season anyway.

So I don't see them firing Pagano to elevate an assistant to the HC spot. If they have a guy who is available sitting home on game day, then -maybe-.... after a few more losses or debacles like Sunday.

------

-John Wooden

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    I don't buy that. If the horrible losses and poor decisions continue the uproar will force a change.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

17. The Following User Says Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:

Mood

Irsay knows this fanbase will not tolerate (ie, not buy tickets) to watch a Pagano-led losing fest week in and week out and will be clamoring for a change. However, when's the last time we let a coach go mid-season? Ever? It would take something ridiculous.

I'd like to see him fired immediately, before his idiocy causes anyone else to get hurt. Plus, it'd be a fantastic catharsis for the fanbase. We can understand losing under an assistant-promoted-to-interim. But trotting out every week like the dumbest team in football and then listening to "y'know...grit" in the post-game presser has run its course. Maybe we'll get lucky and the team will get blasted and Pagano will give us a presser to remember, and Irsay will be forced to make a change due to failing performance on the field and conduct unbecoming a NFL coach.

But most likely, end of the year.
    It's a new day for Pacers Basketball.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:

Never thought it was possible but Colts fans seem to hate Chuck as much (or more?) than Pacer fans hated JOB

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

The blowouts in the Pagano era are really the most damaging stat. I'm not sure how those can be excused or not be blamed on coaching.

------

-John Wooden

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

I don't think Vince Lombardi could coach this team into success. Not enough talent.

May as well keep Chuck until the off season and then start fresh with a new regime

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Mood

Not sure when it will happen, but either way Dave Toub will be the next coach (KC special teams coach). He is Ballard's guy
    Last edited by Merz; 09-13-2017 at 03:37 PM.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Merz For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Merz View Post
    Not sure when it will happen, but either way Dave Toub will be the next coach (KC special teams coach). He is Ballards guy
    Agreed.

Chudzinksi has already been a head coach. Just put him in charge. There is no reason to keep Pagano around. His fate is sealed. He and Crean lasted much longer than their record dictated.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to hoosierguy For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    I don't buy that. If the horrible losses and poor decisions continue the uproar will force a change.
    But we'll probably most likely benefit more if we wait until the offseason

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pogi For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    The blowouts in the Pagano era are really the most damaging stat. I'm not sure how those can be excused or not be blamed on coaching.
    This, and 90% of our games we come out after the opening kick looking we didn't have a plan what-so-ever for the opposition. Almost, like Pagano does some chicken-scratching on the sideline turf and basically tells offense to: "Run....and get open! Defense - try to stop the opponents offense! Now let's go!"

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pogi For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    You mean like it did with Caldwell? Fired at end of season

Or Mora? Also fired at end of season.

Since Jimbo has taken over he hasn't fired a coach in midseason and if he's tanking why would he get rid of the guy who's making it happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Never thought it was possible but Colts fans seem to hate Chuck as much (or more?) than Pacer fans hated JOB
    I find Chuck to meh to hate that much then again I don't hate JOB that much either and I say this as someone who finds both unimpressive.

Quote Originally Posted by pogi View Post
    "Run....and get open! Defense - try to stop the opponents offense! Now let's go!"
    Don't forget to keep chopping wood.

I actually read somewhere that he said that "There are some good things on the tape" in reference to the Rams game. I can only assume he was talking about a few shots of the cheerleaders.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

I think it will be Monday morning after we get destroyed by the Cardinals by 30 points.

Week 10 would be my guess, if the team is 0-10. If we are on a 3-13 type trajectory he will probably last the season.