Thread: Comformation-Pacers land European guard sought by Bird

Default Comformation-Pacers land European guard sought by Bird

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...507250383/1088

Pacers land European guard sought by Bird

By Mike Wells
    mike.wells@indystar.com

Indiana Pacers president Larry Bird will get the player he's been coveting, after all.

Lithuanian guard Sarunas Jasikevicius agreed Sunday night to a three-year contract reportedly worth $12 million with the Pacers.

Jasikevicius, who played college basketball at Maryland, chose the Pacers over Utah and Cleveland.

"It boiled down to the opportunity to win a championship," Jasikevicius' agent, Doug Neustadt, said Sunday night.

"He has great respect for the organization and the people involved in it. He feels this team is very deep and talented."

The 29-year-old Jasikevicius averaged about 15 points and six assists in leading Maccabi Tel Aviv to its second straight Euroleague title last season. He scored 28 points in Lithuania's victory over the United States in last summer's Olympics in Athens, Greece.

Jasikevicius gives the Pacers another player they can turn to at point guard in case starter Jamaal Tinsley, who has battled injures the past few seasons, can't stay healthy. The Pacers also have Anthony Johnson and Eddie Gill under contract next season.

By agreeing to terms with Jasikevicius, the Pacers may have hurt their chances to re-sign center Dale Davis.

The Pacers only have the midlevel exception, which is expected to be around $5 million a season, and the $1 million exception, with the value actually being $1.6 million a season, available.

Seattle, New Jersey, Cleveland and Philadelphia also have expressed interest in Davis.

The Pacers also want to re-sign James Jones.
    -----------

After all the Saras deals I had read about I was glad to see the Star confirm the Pacers had him.

Interestingly Saras picked the Pacers because they are a leading contender rather than another team where he could start and get more money. Now it appears we will see if Dale is about winning or the money.

Personally I think he'll take the money.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Comformation-Pacers land European guard sought by Bird

Is he stupid? If the Pacers still have the full MLE, which I doubt, that will be pleantly enough to sign DD. Hell I think the veterans minimum will be enough. DD is closer to 40 than 30; I would agree that it takes them out of the JJ sweepstakes unless they want to go money crazy.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Quote Originally Posted by PacerFanInAZ
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is he stupid? If the Pacers still have the full MLE, which I doubt, that will be pleantly enough to sign DD. Hell I think the veterans minimum will be enough. DD is closer to 40 than 30; I would agree that it takes them out of the JJ sweepstakes unless they want to go money crazy.

The only way the Pacers have in signing free agents is with exceptions. If Saras is signing for a 4 million average he has to have a starting contract of at least $3.5 million. That leaves no doubt, the Pacers are using the MLE on him.

JJ is still in the Pacers plans.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen
    Sigh . . . I'll let someone else fill you in.
    I wasn't talking to you, your comments weren't up when I responded, I was talking about the writer of the article.

I don't think I'm missing anything here. The writer is saying the Pacers still have the full MLE which can't be true since the Pacers are over the cap, and signing Saras.

If the contract is fairly low the 1st year and not a flat 4 mil a year, then they might be able to sign DD for the rest of the MLE.

DD is in his LATE 30'S! HE'S NOT 25 YEARS OLD. Teams want to try and nab him for the veterans minimum, and Dale's agent is trying to generate interest so he and his client can get paid more. If he gets near or at the full MLE then let him walk as much as it sucks.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Quote Originally Posted by PacerFanInAZ
    I wasn't talking to you, your comments weren't up when I responded, I was talking about the writer of the article.

I don't think I'm missing anything here. The writer is saying the Pacers still have the full MLE which can't be true since the Pacers are over the cap, and signing Saras.

If the contract is fairly low the 1st year and not a flat 4 mil a year, then they might be able to sign DD for the rest of the MLE.

DD is in his LATE 30'S! HE'S NOT 25 YEARS OLD. Teams want to try and nab him for the veterans minimum, and Dale's agent is trying to generate interest so he and his client can get paid more. If he gets near or at the full MLE then let him walk as much as it sucks.
    I didn't think that quote you have of mine was appropriate so I edited it and answered your question.

The Cleveland Plain Dealer has this on their website as of now.

Another thing, I haven't read a quote from the Pacers yet talking about signing Saras.
    ---------

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/plaind...150.xml&coll=2

The newest Cavaliers
    Wednesday, July 20, 2005
    SARUNAS JASIKEVICIUS

The skinny: The 6-4, 190-pound Euroleague star averaged 15.7 points and 4.9 assists last season. He is also a threat from 3-point range, connecting on 37.9 percent of his attempts.

DONYELL MARSHALL

The skinny: Veteran was hard to stop from outside last season, hitting 41 percent of his 3-pointers. In 11 seasons, the 6-9, 230-pounder has averaged 12.4 points and 7.3 rebounds.

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen
    The Cleveland Plain Dealer has this on their website as of now.

Another thing, I haven't read a quote from the Pacers yet talking about signing Saras.
    ---------

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/plaind...150.xml&coll=2

The newest Cavaliers
    Wednesday, July 20, 2005
    SARUNAS JASIKEVICIUS

The skinny: The 6-4, 190-pound Euroleague star averaged 15.7 points and 4.9 assists last season. He is also a threat from 3-point range, connecting on 37.9 percent of his attempts.

DONYELL MARSHALL

The skinny: Veteran was hard to stop from outside last season, hitting 41 percent of his 3-pointers. In 11 seasons, the 6-9, 230-pounder has averaged 12.4 points and 7.3 rebounds.
    looks like they will be taken that down then

u wont hear anything from the pacers till thursday....the agents do all the talking during the moratorium....

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think (hope?) Dale will re-sign here. I really think he wants to retire a Pacer, and unless someone just offers him a ridiculous amount of money, he would rather stay here and take a shot or two at a ring.

Dale already got his fat contract when he was traded for JO.