Thread: Dale Davis

foretaz

Default Dale Davis

will he sign a contract that has a starting salary of about 1.6 million or so....cause that appears to be about what we can offer him...

now...we could offer him that for up to 4 years....without many problems...meaning we could get him about 7-8 million to finish out his career here....is this outta line???? remember, he doesnt have to play those years....he could very well play 2 more years and be done and still collect up to about 7-8 million if they give him 4 years or about 5- 6 million on a 3 year deal....

Default Re: Dale Davis

I think it's enoug to keep Dale at home.
    He has earned enough money in his career.
    If I were him I would pick the opportunity of winning a ring over money, especially since he's already pretty rich.

foretaz

i tend to agree....a 3 year deal for just over 5 million doesnt seem to be out of line...

he plays 2 years max...and based on what weve seen....i think most would probably agree 2 years would be the most hes got left....he collects the 3rd year, not unlike reggie, and hopefully hes a happy camper....

I can see several teams offering him half their MLE. Detroit for one, just to get him away from us. I think if the money offered is greater than a million he'll take it.

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can see several teams offering him half their MLE. Detroit for one, just to get him away from us. I think if the money offered is greater than a million he'll take it.
    if a team offered him half of the MLE, the key then becomes for how many years....i have a feeling if they do that they would only do so for 2 years....

which means the pacers could offer him the 3 year deal and basically match that as far as overall dollars...

now, on the off chance someone offers him 3 years at half the MLE, which i think is unlikely, the pacers could still get him similar money by paying him that 4 th year....

ive said before, this is eerily similar to the mark jackson situation....so unless someone just gets stupid by offering him 4 years and half the MLE, we are still in a situation where we could retain him....

in DD's case, its probably more about the overall money versus the actual yearly salary....

Quote Originally Posted by foretaz
    if a team offered him half of the MLE, the key then becomes for how many years....i have a feeling if they do that they would only do so for 2 years....

which means the pacers could offer him the 3 year deal and basically match that as far as overall dollars...

now, on the off chance someone offers him 3 years at half the MLE, which i think is unlikely, the pacers could still get him similar money by paying him that 4 th year....

ive said before, this is eerily similar to the mark jackson situation....so unless someone just gets stupid by offering him 4 years and half the MLE, we are still in a situation where we could retain him....

in DD's case, its probably more about the overall money versus the actual yearly salary....
    I hope you're right. I got the impression the first time Dale was here though that he was all about the money. If he doesn't listen to his brother like Peck says he did that time, maybe we will be okay.

foretaz

I hope you're right. I got the impression the first time Dale was here though that he was all about the money. If he doesn't listen to his brother like Peck says he did that time, maybe we will be okay.
    oh, i think its almost always about the money....and while some on here think he just wants to retire here, which i believe he does, i dont agree that he would do so regardless of the money difference....

if he gets 10 million somewhere else and all we can give him is 5....i dont think he will finish with us....

but i dont think we have to worry about that...i dont....like i said...we can get pretty close to 8....so somebody would have to really overpay to get him...in which case, u have to let him walk, not unlike jackson, because it simply has to make some sorta sense...

so i think we will retain him, if we really want to....barring some other major moves...

If Detroit offered him a multi-year contract starting at the MLE, they can have him.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If anybody offers him a multi-year contract, period, they can have him.

I know we're not talking about Austin-Croshere=type-$$$, but I really don't want to overpay anybody else or still have his contract on the books after he's done. At his age, I'd tell him that I'd be happy to sign him to as many one-year contracts as long as he can still play, but I wouldn't want to make a multi-year commitment, period.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

There is an "over-36" rule that is kinda complicated. From the Salary cap FAQ:

47. What is the "Over-36" rule?

Suppose a player will play four more seasons before he retires, and he wants to play those four seasons with a team that can only offer him their Mid-Level exception. If they want to give the player more money than the Mid-Level exception would allow, then there is a potential loophole they could exploit by signing a contract for more years than they expect the player to play.

For example, suppose the Mid-Level exception is $5 million. With 10% raises, a four-year contract would total $23 million. But if they added a fifth year to the contract, the total salary would be $30 million. If the player retires after four seasons, as expected, and continues drawing his salary for the additional season, he will effectively be paid $30 million for four years' work. In essence, they are giving the player a four year contract, plus an additional year of deferred compensation.

This loophole is closed by the Over-36 rule.

Certain long-term contracts that extend past the player’s 36th birthday are deemed Over-36 contracts. In an Over-36 contract, the presumption is that the seasons at the end of the contract are likely to come after the player retires. Therefore, they are considered to be deferred compensation as described above. This is important because deferred compensation is charged to the salary cap in the year it is earned, not the year it is paid.

Read more

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

I guess you could call that the "Reggie Miller" rule.

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by Grant
    There is an "over-36" rule that is kinda complicated. From the Salary cap FAQ:

47. What is the "Over-36" rule?

Suppose a player will play four more seasons before he retires, and he wants to play those four seasons with a team that can only offer him their Mid-Level exception. If they want to give the player more money than the Mid-Level exception would allow, then there is a potential loophole they could exploit by signing a contract for more years than they expect the player to play.

For example, suppose the Mid-Level exception is $5 million. With 10% raises, a four-year contract would total $23 million. But if they added a fifth year to the contract, the total salary would be $30 million. If the player retires after four seasons, as expected, and continues drawing his salary for the additional season, he will effectively be paid $30 million for four years' work. In essence, they are giving the player a four year contract, plus an additional year of deferred compensation.

This loophole is closed by the Over-36 rule.

Certain long-term contracts that extend past the player’s 36th birthday are deemed Over-36 contracts. In an Over-36 contract, the presumption is that the seasons at the end of the contract are likely to come after the player retires. Therefore, they are considered to be deferred compensation as described above. This is important because deferred compensation is charged to the salary cap in the year it is earned, not the year it is paid.

Read more
    what the over 36 rule ends up meaning is we cant give dale a contract for more than 4 years.....

as mentioned, i could see a 3 year deal for about 5 million being done to appease both parties....

we will see...