Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30

Thread: So let's talk about the roster...

  1. #1
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default So let's talk about the roster...

    As it stands now, here's what we've got:

    Foster / Harrison / Pollard
    JO / Croshere / Bender
    Ron / Granger
    Jax / Fred
    Tins / Sarunas / AJ / Gill.

    That means as things stand right now, we have one spot open. I'm assuming JJ gets it. Is that it, or can we expect moves?

    ----

    As I look at the roster, the backup PF position looks awful weak to me. I'd like to see us try to move Bender, Fred, and Gill for ending contracts, picks, etc. Then I'd like to see us use the LLE to go after a backup big man that could score in the paint.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  2. #2
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: So let's talk about the roster...

    For the record, I'm now even less willing to trade Tinsley than I would have been otherwise. Throughout the season, we said that with Tins we needed a primary backup that was almost good enough to start. Now we have one. Sarunas is 6'4", which isn't huge, but in some settings we could play a dual backcourt of Tins and Sarunas.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  3. #3
    Pacers fan in FL Deadshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    FLORIDA
    Posts
    1,936

    Default Re: So let's talk about the roster...

    Aren't we most likely getting rid of Croshere thanks to the new CBA?

  4. #4
    Member skyfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,559

    Default Re: So let's talk about the roster...

    I hope they waive Cro, cut Gill, resign DD for whatever is left of the MLE/vets min and resign JJ.

    I'd like to see something like this :

    PG : Tins/Saras/AJ
    SG : Jax/F.Jones
    SF : Artest/J.Jones/Granger
    PF : JO/Foster/Bender*
    C : DD/Hulk/Pollard

    edit : oh yea if Bender somehow is healthy enough to play he can be 3rd string PF :P

  5. #5
    canyoufeelit
    Guest

    Default Re: So let's talk about the roster...

    Some more reliability/durability from the frontcourt and frontcourt backups would be, but that looks like a complete roster. Sign James Jones and get ready to roll. The only guy worth getting rid of is Cro, cut him under the amnesty thing. Keep Bender until he breaks out/is out of the NBA because you don't want him to blow up with anybody else. Don't rock the boat. The team's lineup looks complete and formidable.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Age
    38
    Posts
    180

    Default Re: So let's talk about the roster...

    Quote Originally Posted by skyfire
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hope they waive Cro, cut Gill, resign DD for whatever is left of the MLE/vets min and resign JJ.

    I'd like to see something like this :

    PG : Tins/Saras/AJ
    SG : Jax/F.Jones
    SF : Artest/J.Jones/Granger
    PF : JO/Foster
    C : DD/Hulk/Pollard
    Man, what a lineup...

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Anderson, IN
    Age
    44
    Posts
    249

    Default Re: So let's talk about the roster...

    Here is the current roster according to Pacers.com


    Pacers Roster


    2005-06 Roster
    NUM PLAYER POS HT WT DOB FROM YRS
    91 Ron Artest F 6-7 246 11/13/1979 St. John's '01 6
    24 Jonathan Bender F 7-0 219 01/30/1981 Picayune HS (MS) 6
    44 Austin Croshere F 6-10 242 05/01/1975 Providence '97 8
    32 Dale Davis (FA) C-F 6-11 252 03/25/1969 Clemson '91 14
    54 John Edwards (FA) C 7-0 275 07/31/1981 Kent State '04 1
    10 Jeff Foster C-F 6-11 242 01/16/1977 Southwest Texas State '99 6
    4 Eddie Gill G 6-0 190 08/16/1978 Weber State '00 4

    Danny Granger F 6-8 225 03/20/1983 New Mexico R
    13 David Harrison C 7-0 280 08/15/1982 Colorado 1
    1 Stephen Jackson F-G 6-8 218 04/05/1978 Oak Hill (VA) 5
    8 Anthony Johnson G 6-3 190 10/02/1974 Charleston (SC) '97 8
    20 Fred Jones G 6-2 218 03/11/1979 Oregon '02 3
    33 James Jones (FA) F 6-8 215 10/04/1980 Miami (Fla.) '03 2

    Erazem Lorbek ** F 6-10 240 02/21/1984 Michigan State R
    7 Jermaine O'Neal F-C 6-11 242 10/13/1978 Eau Claire HS (SC) 9
    62 Scot Pollard C-F 6-11 265 02/12/1975 Kansas '97 8
    11 Jamaal Tinsley G 6-3 195 02/28/1978 Iowa State '01 4
    DD, Edwards, and JJ don't count, technically since they are FA and then the Euro dude (Lorbek) will be in Europe next year, so he doesn't count either.

    That leaves 13 under contract for the upcoming season, so if we sign JJ and DD we are done barring a trade that might open up another slot.

  8. #8
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: So let's talk about the roster...

    Quote Originally Posted by fooddaman
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Here is the current roster according to Pacers.com



    DD, Edwards, and JJ don't count, technically since they are FA and then the Euro dude (Lorbek) will be in Europe next year, so he doesn't count either.

    That leaves 13 under contract for the upcoming season, so if we sign JJ and DD we are done barring a trade that might open up another slot.
    They don't list Saraunas yet (not surprisingly).

  9. #9
    foretaz
    Guest

    Default Re: So let's talk about the roster...

    definitely will be moves of some sort....since we are not going to carry 4 point guards...

    u mentioned the pacers were not re-signing freddie....the simple explanation for that is he cant be traded if they sign him to an extension now....they dont want to lose his expiring contract this season....much easier to trade him...they can alway re-sign him next offseason if they dont come across a trade that makes sense between now and then-though i think thats unlikely....

    gill could be cut without too much pain, relatively speaking...but im not sure u do that....

    i think u probably trade aj-since his trade value is at an alltime high and alot of teams probably would have interest(maybe even for some sort of protected 1st rounder)....keep gill as ur 3rd(i cant believe i said that-id prefer they sign jay williams, but i doubt they will) and freddie can play the point in emergencies as well.....

    you could always trade freddie and keep aj as the 3rd pg and give him minutes at the 2 as well....but it seems freddie would be better suited for that role since hes the better defender.....

    u still have dd and possibly brian grant available that would make sense to add.....

    i really see a trade of some sort taking place...given the pacers prefer to do it in the offseason versus the trade deadline, odds are its before or near training camp time....

    however they dont have to make a trade, if the right deal comes along...they can sit tight, till the trade deadline if they so choose....

    theyre in a great position....they just solidified their weakest position....

  10. #10
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,105

    Default Re: So let's talk about the roster...

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadshot
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Aren't we most likely getting rid of Croshere thanks to the new CBA?
    cough Bender cough cough

    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  11. #11
    foretaz
    Guest

    Default Re: So let's talk about the roster...

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    cough Bender cough cough

    -Bball

    take two of these and call me in the morning for that cough...

  12. #12
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,753

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So let's talk about the roster...

    I just don't see how we can possibly go into this season with AJ, one of the best backup point guards in the NBA, as a third string player.

    If I were AJ, and were the third string point guard, I'd be insulted. AJ responded to the call to run the point last year for half the season, and did a damn good job of it.

  13. #13
    foretaz
    Guest

    Default Re: So let's talk about the roster...

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerFanAdam
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just don't see how we can possibly go into this season with AJ, one of the best backup point guards in the NBA, as a third string player.

    If I were AJ, and were the third string point guard, I'd be insulted. AJ responded to the call to run the point last year for half the season, and did a damn good job of it.
    he will do it because hes a true pro and is getting paid millions to do it....that being said....i think aj is heading out of town....

    and atlanta is a great place to live....new orleans and charlotte aint bad either....

  14. #14
    Member Isaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    25
    Posts
    3,146

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So let's talk about the roster...

    I'd love to see Foster play more power forward. I think Hulk will be starting at least by the All star break anyway.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    4,624

    Default Re: So let's talk about the roster...

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As it stands now, here's what we've got:

    Foster / Harrison / Pollard
    JO / Croshere / Bender
    Ron / Granger
    Jax / Fred
    Tins / Sarunas / AJ / Gill.

    That means as things stand right now, we have one spot open. I'm assuming JJ gets it. Is that it, or can we expect moves?

    ----

    As I look at the roster, the backup PF position looks awful weak to me. I'd like to see us try to move Bender, Fred, and Gill for ending contracts, picks, etc. Then I'd like to see us use the LLE to go after a backup big man that could score in the paint.
    I look for Gill to be released unless there is a trade involving Johnson.

    I think the Pacers would bring back James Jones but why would Jones want to return & play behind Artest & Granger?

    Thier focus should be getting Dale Davis signed next, as long as he will accept whatever money we have available.

    Most assume that Croshere will be waived but I'm thinking it's Bender. Bird seems more impressed with Croshere's work ethic & ability to play thru pain.

    We do need to upgrade our backup 4 spot & we have lots of options to get that done. But if thats our only worry going into the season then I'm not gonna loose any sleep over it.

  16. #16
    Member Ragnar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Age
    42
    Posts
    5,865

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: So let's talk about the roster...

    I see JJ as our backup sg this year. Everyone keeps putting him in at the 3 but he can play the 2 just fine. And since AJ IS NOT A POINT GUARD! I dont think he will complain too much about being moved to his natural position of SG.

    Tins/Saras
    Jack/JJ/AJ
    Artest/Granger
    J.O./Dale
    Jeff/Pollard/Harrison

    I think Cro and Bender are on the way out. There is just no where to play them.

  17. #17
    Grumpy Old Man (PD host) able's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    8,699

    Default Re: So let's talk about the roster...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I look for Gill to be released unless there is a trade involving Johnson.

    I think the Pacers would bring back James Jones but why would Jones want to return & play behind Artest & Granger?

    Thier focus should be getting Dale Davis signed next, as long as he will accept whatever money we have available.

    Most assume that Croshere will be waived but I'm thinking it's Bender. Bird seems more impressed with Croshere's work ethic & ability to play thru pain.

    We do need to upgrade our backup 4 spot & we have lots of options to get that done. But if thats our only worry going into the season then I'm not gonna loose any sleep over it.
    OK this is really the last tiem but I am willing to do it one more time Jose, just for you and bball.......

    Cro will be waived (if anyone) under the amnesty rule and not JB.
    Reasons:

    More savings.
    Contract to big for whatever he brings, no matter how much he is a warrior.

    JB CAN already be waived under the "permanently injured rule" as of July 1.
    That would give the Pacers an excemption of an equal amount to his salary to sign a new player, whereas releases under the amnesty rule are just a dump under the luxury tax; no more.

    So with JB they can ride several horses: He gets fit and assumes the backup PF role (yeah pffffftttt)
    He does not get fit (enough) and is waived under the above (he only played 7 games last season which is the exact max he is allowed to play to fall under the permanently injured rule)
    In both cases they get "something" besides "LT relief" which in both cases is more valuable then that.

    They have an awful amount of money invested in JB, but I have a harsh feeling that if certain players become available under the amnesty rule JB will be labelled "permanently injured" before the season starts.
    The "unless" is that he shows that he is healthy upfront and works his *** off, unlike pullintg what he did in the summer league, which in my opinion is exactly what LB was referring to at the end of the season, though some of you think that referred to JO (pfffft)

    So waiving JB for LT purposes only is "not a good idea"(tm)
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

    If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!


  18. #18
    Member Ragnar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Age
    42
    Posts
    5,865

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: So let's talk about the roster...

    I thought the originally injury had to have been sustained over two years before being waived. Now there are plenty of things you could point to that were at least two years ago but I thought he played too many games the year before last.

    I could be wrong but I remember them worrying about Hill playing too many games because they were thinking of waiving him.

    Hey if we can dump Bender under the injury rule I am all for it.

  19. #19

    Default Re: So let's talk about the roster...

    I really don't think we will see any trades since we are now in a really strong position. The only person I see adding (besides maybe DD and JJ....if the price is right = Gill being cut) is Brian Grant once the LA Laters waive him. He will fill the spot left by Croshere when he is waived here. (hey, maybe the Lakies can pick him up to replace Grant...*Laughing*).

    Outsider

  20. #20
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,630

    Default Re: So let's talk about the roster...

    "small" line-up

    5 - JO
    4 - Ron
    3 - Jax
    2 - Saras
    1 - Tins

    Looks pretty good to me.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  21. #21

    Default Re: So let's talk about the roster...

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerFanAdam
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just don't see how we can possibly go into this season with AJ, one of the best backup point guards in the NBA, as a third string player.

    If I were AJ, and were the third string point guard, I'd be insulted. AJ responded to the call to run the point last year for half the season, and did a damn good job of it.
    AJ imho is not one of the best back ups PGs... He plays a better SG than a PG. Every time he brings the ball up the floor, I cringe waiting for a turnover, he fights against the 8sec count every time, and the clock is always down to 10-14 secs before he even looks for the predictable set up pass to initiate the offense.
    That being said I like him as 3rd string PG or SG, maybe even stick him in front of Fred. He can still get 15 mpg or so, and I'd like to see him stay.

  22. #22
    Banned PacerMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,132

    Default Re: So let's talk about the roster...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I see JJ as our backup sg this year. Everyone keeps putting him in at the 3 but he can play the 2 just fine. And since AJ IS NOT A POINT GUARD! I dont think he will complain too much about being moved to his natural position of SG.

    Tins/Saras
    Jack/JJ/AJ
    Artest/Granger
    J.O./Dale
    Jeff/Pollard/Harrison

    I think Cro and Bender are on the way out. There is just no where to play them.
    No way can JJ guard 2 guards. just not quick enough. besides he rebounds and blocks shots very well for someone his size.
    He's a THREE.

  23. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lifelong Indy-area resident
    Age
    62
    Posts
    4,655

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So let's talk about the roster...

    Quote Originally Posted by able
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Cro will be waived (if anyone) under the amnesty rule and not JB......

    JB CAN already be waived under the "permanently injured rule" as of July 1.
    That would give the Pacers an excemption of an equal amount to his salary to sign a new player, whereas releases under the amnesty rule are just a dump under the luxury tax; no more.

    So waiving JB for LT purposes only is "not a good idea"(tm)
    Agree totally.
    --------------------

    I do believe that JJ is capable of playing SG for short stretches. In fact, he was used in that capacity at times last season.

    Also, I believe that Saras will also see time at SG. Actually, if he is as capable a shooter as we are lead to believe, I think he may get more minutes as the backup SG than any other bench player. And, if that is the case, then Freddie just became expendable.

  24. #24
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So let's talk about the roster...

    I do expect the Pacers to sign DD, and man the center position with DD, Harrison and JO.

    I think Foster will continue to get decent minutes as the backup PF.

    So I see it as:

    C - DD/ JO/ DH
    PF - JO/ JF/ AC
    SF - Knucklehead/ DG
    SG - SJax/ Saras/ FJ
    PG - Tinsley/ Saras/ AJ.

    The best you can do is a eight man rotation of Tinsley, SJax, Knucklehead, JO, DD, Saras, Granger, and Foster. A regular season nine-man rotation would include Harrison, and if he progresses as expcted, then Harrison could be substituted for DD in the 8-man rotation as the season progresses.

    I'd consider trading FJ and Foster for a backup PF that can play in the post. I guess D. Marshall is off the table. But somebody like that. Or what about FJ and Foster for Al?

    BTW, Gill isn't being paid very much, he's a fine fourteenth-man candidate.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  25. #25
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,105

    Default Re: So let's talk about the roster...

    I didn't think Bender's situation fit the clause allowing him to be waived due to permanent injury. But if it does I know of no reason not to use it. However we get rid of that distraction and waste of roster space is fine by me.

    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •