Thread: Artest critical of Carlisle or just telling the truth?

Default Artest critical of Carlisle or just telling the truth?

A lot of very interesting quotes from both coaches and players on both teams.

I agree with Artest by the way and was surprised and not happy that Artest did not start out on James. Artest has to start on the best offensive player from the first moment of the game. I realize that would put Reggie on Eric Williams but that is too bad.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/quotes_040314.html

PACERS FORWARD RON ARTEST

(on getting into early foul trouble and his defensive assignment): “With the exception of my third foul, that probably wasn’t a good call, all the other fouls were good calls. The next time, coach will put me on first (against) the best player instead of starting me on the weakest player out of the two on the wing. You’ve got to put me on the best wing player so we can take him out of the game, instead of putting a not so good defender on Lebron James. Hopefully, we’ll change that a little bit. It’s best we can get him out early. Why wait until late to put me on him? That’s my job. That’s part of my job, to help the team. These days, the wing players are the best scorers and throughout the history of basketball, the wings are the best scorers because they can do so much, post up, shoot and run

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Artest critical of Carlisle or just telling the truth?

I agree with Ron. Don't know what Rick was thinkin' on that one.

I admit without having seen the game I am just guessing but I did listen on the radio and it seemed liked the Pacers lost the game in the second quarter and that was when Ronnie picked up his third foul early. He only played 28 minutes

The quote wasn't very media savy. I would have rathered Artest simply say he wished he was on James from the start and leave it at that.

Instead he questioned his coach and called a teammate a not so good defender--not he doesn't have a point or that I think he is a bad guy. But just think if Al or JO had said that people would be all over that.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

My guess is that Carlisle was trying to keep him frrom early foul trouble.

Its the reason that Foster starts. If O'Neal started at Center, he would be in danger of picking up a quick couple of fouls against someone bigger and stronger han him, and that would mess up their rythm.

If you get through the first quarter with a foul or less, then you can take Foster out (move O'Neal to C) and switch Artest to a dangerous slasher without fear that they could get into serious foul trouble.

I agree with Foster being a starter for this reason, but I like the idea of putting Artest on James right away, do what you can to shut him down or intimidate him. Let him focus on that and let everyone else worry about scoring points. If you stop James you stop the Cavs. Its a little like trading queens in Chess when you have better supporting pieces.

Just my 2 cents

duaneok66

this is what I don't get . . .

I can see Carlisle's argument IF that was his reasoning . . .

however IF Artest is one of the best perimeter defenders in fthe NBA, then you have to put him on James (like Artest said) . . . bringing up fouls is a copout . . .