Thread: Dixon's agent says Pacers are interested in his client

Default Dixon's agent says Pacers are interested in his client

7 days Archive

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...507230433/1088

July 23, 2005
    Pacers notebook
    Dixon's agent says Pacers are interested in his client
    Wizards guard, an unrestricted free agent, has averaged 8.2 points in 3 NBA seasons.

By Mike Wells
    mike.wells@indystar.com

The Indiana Pacers have expressed interest in free agent guard Juan Dixon, according to Dixon's agent, Calvin Andrews.

"We've had a conversation with (Pacers CEO) Donnie Walsh about Juan," Andrews said. "The next phase is seeing about bringing Juan in for a visit with them."

Andrews didn't have a timetable on a visit with the Pacers, but Dixon, the 17th pick in the 2002 draft, reportedly met with Portland on Thursday and he's expected to meet with Seattle this weekend. Miami, Cleveland and Sacramento also have shown interest in the unrestricted free agent.

Dixon, who can play both guard positions, spent his first three seasons in the NBA with the Washington Wizards. He averaged 8.2 points and 1.6 assists in 176 games, including 23 starts.

The Pacers have only the midlevel exception, which is expected to be about $5 million a season, or the $1 million exception, with the value actually being $1.6 million annually, to offer Dixon.

They've said they want to re-sign Dale Davis and James Jones. The Pacers have three point guards under contract next season and Stephen Jackson and Fred Jones at shooting guard.

The free agent signing period was supposed to start Friday, but it was delayed indefinitely because the new collective bargaining agreement is not finalized.

Cases assigned

Three judges will hear cases against five Pacers charged in last November's brawl with Detroit Pistons fans.

Rochester Hills (Mich.) District Judge Lisa Asadoorian initially was assigned all the cases. She will hear Anthony Johnson's case, while David Harrison's case was assigned to Judge Nancy Carniak. Ron Artest, Jermaine O'Neal and Stephen Jackson will all appear before Judge Julie Nicholson.

Court dates will be set Monday. The players and several fans are charged with misdemeanor assault and battery. They face a maximum penalty of 93 days in jail and a fine of up to $500.

Juan Dixons career.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Dixon's agent says Pacers are interested in his client

My question is: Why? We have Tinsley, Johnson, and Gill at the 1, and he's small for that, let alone this "also plays 2" crap. Even still, we have Jackson and Fred. With that established, and considering the situation with our roster, why the hell would we be bothering to talk to this guy?

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks007
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My question is: Why? We have Tinsley, Johnson, and Gill at the 1, and he's small for that, let alone this "also plays 2" crap. Even still, we have Jackson and Fred. With that established, and considering the situation with our roster, why the hell would we be bothering to talk to this guy?

My guess is the Pacers like his defense and his big play ability. They also might be involved in some trade talks that could involve one of the current guards you mentioned, so they are doing their due deligence in case a trade is made.

Or, it could be that Dixon's agent is trying to play the feild. Maybe make it look like several teams want his services to help drum up interest. Notice that the Pacer's haven't brought him in. Basically all it says is that Dixon's agent called Donnie to see if there is interest. Hell, it doesn't even say if Donnie said if he was actually interested or not!

Buck's theory is a good one too. Maybe if a trade goes through, then some real talks will begin. But as it seems now, an agent made a phone call to Donnie, and that was it. Probably happens a thousand times a week. Especially this time of year.

And what's with all the female judges in Detroit? Isn't there any male judges up there?

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Netweeny
    And what's with all the female judges in Detroit? Isn't there any male judges up there?
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Dixon is a better 2 than he is a 1. Mostly he's just annoying on defense, and can score quickly.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

He damn well better be a 2. I like my point guards getting at least two assists a game.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Fred's better in every catagory, so why do we need Dixon?

Juan Dixon
    Washington Wizards
    Position: G
    Height: 6-3 Weight: 164
    College : Maryland '02
    Player file | Team stats

2004-05 Statistics
    PPG 8.0
    RPG 1.9
    APG 1.8
    SPG .68
    BPG .06
    FG% .416
    FT% .897
    3P% .327
    MPG 16.7

Fred Jones
    Indiana Pacers
    Height: 6-2 Weight: 218
    College : Oregon '02
    Player file | Team stats

2004-05 Statistics
    PPG 10.6
    RPG 3.1
    APG 2.5
    SPG .79
    BPG .40
    FG% .425
    FT% .850
    3P% .380
    MPG 29.5

I think people are mistakenly seeing him as a replacement for Gill, not Freddie.

Boy, all these rumors tell me Larry has no use for Fred whatsoever. Granted, he's not the combo-guard we all dreamed of, but you can do alot worse in a backup 2.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

PacerNation

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen
    Fred's better in every catagory, so why do we need Dixon?

Juan Dixon
    Washington Wizards
    Height: 6-3 Weight: 164
    College : Maryland '02
    Player file | Team stats

2004-05 Statistics
    PPG 8.0
    RPG 1.9
    APG 1.8
    SPG .68
    BPG .06
    FG% .416
    FT% .897
    3P% .327
    MPG 16.7

Fred Jones
    Indiana Pacers
    Height: 6-2 Weight: 218
    College : Oregon '02
    Player file | Team stats

2004-05 Statistics
    PPG 10.6
    RPG 3.1
    APG 2.5
    SPG .79
    BPG .40
    FG% .425
    FT% .850
    3P% .380
    MPG 29.5

I'm not saying Fred hasn't proven his ability to play; I think you're right in that respect, but you can't compare these numbers directly.

-Fred Jones played twice as many minutes as Dixon
    -Fred Jones was also a primary scoring option for a number of times during the season

There's no harm in looking at him. He's a proven college player, and like Fred, maybe with the right playing time he can become a big producer in the NBA.

foretaz

this could just be posturing for the saras situation...

suddenly utah became involved, by all accounts somewhat late in the game, most noteably after cleveland had limited salary cap room and therefore had a ceiling of what they could offer...

indiana has more money available if need be, but with cleveland unable to go any higher, any bidding war is basically eliminated...

enter utah, that does have more money and a need...now saras' agent can attempt to drive up the price with indy to get the full MLE...

my guess is indiana already has an offer on the table that is higher than what they would like and expected....

dixon could just be a way of saying we are looking in another direction....we are done negotiating...

with cleveland looking a different direction also, it appears saras' agent might have gotten too greedy, if thats possible....hes the one that put the 3 years 10 million out there a while ago...now it appears hes gotten more than that and thats still not enuff....should be interesting to see if saras ends up going to utah....if so, he would end up doing something that doesnt really fit in with much of what he said he was looking for....

as far as dixon himself goes, hes very similar to freddie...not sure why we would really want him unless theres a deal involving freddie going somewhere...and i hardly think we would pay him the kind of dollars hes looking for to be the third pg and third sg on the team, nor would he be happy with that

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    Maybe this means Fred's days are numbered?

Of any player on our team, besides our starters. I'd say Fred has the highest trade value. He has shown flashes of great potential, which a lot of teams really like. Especially struggling ones.

IF we get Dixon, that allows us to possibly move Freddy/Foster for a solid back up at one of the guard slots. Or get a guy to back up Jermaine.

A lot of options are available if we get Dixon. He's like Fred Jones w/o the flashy dunking skills. Big deal. Dunking isn't winning a title anytime soon.

Gamble

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Theodore
    Of any player on our team, besides our starters. I'd say Fred has the highest trade value. He has shown flashes of great potential, which a lot of teams really like. Especially struggling ones.

IF we get Dixon, that allows us to possibly move Freddy/Foster for a solid back up at one of the guard slots. Or get a guy to back up Jermaine.

A lot of options are available if we get Dixon. He's like Fred Jones w/o the flashy dunking skills. Big deal. Dunking isn't winning a title anytime soon.
    Why would you want to trade our best rebounding PF and solid player for
    a lesser talent. Doesn't make sense. I don't claim to know much about
    dixon but if he can stop those quick 2 guards than i am down for trading
    freddie for him.

If we get Dixon then it makes no sense to keep Fred. 2 undersized shooting guards don't help much. At least Fred has some bulk to keep bigger guys from backing him down too much. I see it as a lateral move at best. Wait, Fred is a better shooter, so less than lateral.

We wouldn't try to be trading Fred for Dixon. More than likely if this really happens, which I doubt it will. You will see a trade involved with Fred, where we will likely come out on top. Larry knows what he's doing. If some team is calling for Fred and making offers we can't pass up. Then why wouldn't we try to bring in Juan to replace Fred.

Like I said this is all speculation. But if we sign Juan Dixon, Fred is probably on his way out. Possibly with one of our bigs. Either way we would prob get a big in return.

Someone to back up Jermaine possibly.

Naptown Seth

I like Juan Dixon. He's got a lot of heart. I don't get the guy posting the stat comparison betwene he and Freddie. Per minute, Juan was clearly the better player last season. Don't get me wrong, I love Fred, but Juan Dixon is one of the most underrated players in the league.
    Here are his past seasons stats per-35 minutes (average starter minutes)
    16.8 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 3.8 apg, 1.4 spg

Very solid all-around player. The Pacers can do a lot worse than Juan Dixon *cough*Keyon Dooling*cough*

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown Seth
    I like Juan Dixon. He's got a lot of heart. I don't get the guy posting the stat comparison betwene he and Freddie. Per minute, Juan was clearly the better player last season. Don't get me wrong, I love Fred, but Juan Dixon is one of the most underrated players in the league.
    Here are his past seasons stats per-35 minutes (average starter minutes)
    16.8 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 3.8 apg, 1.4 spg

Very solid all-around player. The Pacers can do a lot worse than Juan Dixon *cough*Keyon Dooling*cough*
    Where did you get those #'s from? Just curious.

Is it safe to assume that we will not be bring him in for a visit now?

Quote Originally Posted by RSmits
    Is it safe to assume that we will not be bring him in for a visit now?
    Yup.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!