Thread: ABC is so stupid

Default ABC is so stupid

For not televising the Pacers v Cavs today. Anyone with a half a brain could have told you that the Pacers v Cavs was going to be a better game than Sixers v Pistons or Knicks v Bucks.

I am not saying this as a Pacers fan, even if I weren't, it was obvious what game should have been on TV.

As Mark Boyle said it was a terrific regular season game.

Next time some network TV bozo says there are never any good NBA games, you can just tell him, there are, but the networks chooses not to show them.

Default Re: ABC is so stupid

Sounds like the Knicks-Bucks was a pretty good game - coming from 26 down in the 2nd half to win by 3.

Still seems like Pacers-Cavs would have made more sense as a regional game, Top team in the conf vs LeBron. But what do I know.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Sounds like the Knicks-Bucks was a pretty good game - coming from 26 down in the 2nd half to win by 3.

Still seems like Pacers-Cavs would have made more sense as a regional game, Top team in the conf vs LeBron. But what do I know.
    It's too bad all those t.v.'s switched form ABC at half time and nooone saw it. I can't believe the network doesn't have the power to switch to more favorable matchups late in the season. Oh wait, if its not in New York or LA it doesn't matter, does it.

To be honest, I don't see why ABC can't run regional games all around the country like NFL games are broadcast. All they'd need to do is contract with local stations to use their local commentators. I'm sure there's some sort of licensing/legal reason but it would seem like they could get it done if they wanted to.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

The NBA's national package has suffered since ABC/ESPN has taken over from NBC. NBC was not perfect by any strech of the imagination, but I always thought their regional coverage was usually right on because if it were not the Pacers, it was a game that mattered in the standings, or a game that mattered. Not just a ratings getter. Since ABC has taken over...They tend to miss good games that matter.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

duaneok66

ABC is stupid enough to have the 76ers and/or the Knicks semmingly every week, those teams have been "ugly" for the last decade . . .

Sports Logo Sports Logo

ABC is stupid but so is the NBA for signing the television deal with them.

So far, it's been a ratings disaster. Sure their cable ratings are up but their overall viewership is down. Although David Stern and his crew hate to admit it, there are still more people without cable or satelitte TV than their are that have it.

With basic TV, you also had the chance to get some casual sports fans or people that really don't like sports that much to tune in.

IMO, Stern and the crew sold out for the quick money rather than looking at the longterm effect of the NBA's popularity. The best they could hope for is a lot of game 7s in the playoffs - especially involving the Lakers and Knicks. That might help turn things around.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Although David Stern and his crew hate to admit it, there are still more people without cable or satelitte TV than their are that have it.
    Naptown, I don't mean to jump on you here, especially if you are using a little hyperbole.

According to the stats I have seen I think over 80% of all US households have cable.

Edit: here is a good article out of Ohio

http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/sports/8189705.htm

TV network tunes out great game

By Tom Reed

CLEVELAND - Nobody likes heading back to work on Mondays.

But as badly as your day might be going, take solace in knowing there's at least one person who had a worse morning: The ABC Sports executive who decided not to include the Cavaliers' 107-104 victory over the Indiana Pacers as part of the network's Sunday doubleheader package.

In the best NBA game that nobody in America saw -- except the fortunate 20,562 fans at Gund Arena -- the Cavaliers extended their winning streak to six against one of the league's elite teams.

Rumor has it SportsCenter frantically dispatched a courtroom sketch artist to Cleveland in time for the second half to capture some of the drama and playoff-caliber intensity.

LeBron James scored 20 points before halftime. Pacers power forward Jermaine O'Neal was awesome in tallying 32.

Kevin Ollie hit a miraculous 3-point bucket midway through the fourth quarter, as the 24-second clock was expiring. Zydrunas Ilgauskas made a month's worth of big defensive plays in the final five minutes.

``There would have been a lot of viewers on this ABC night (if they had televised the game),'' James said.

What do you think NBA commissioner David Stern was thinking as a national audience suffered through the Detroit Pistons' 85-69 win over the Philadelphia 76ers? Fitness guru Tony Little's infomercial for ``The Gazelle'' was must-see-TV by comparison.

Neither America nor a Midwest fan base got the chance to see a Cavaliers team come of age Sunday. They also missed an impressive Pacers team, which owns the league's best record, playing as if its postseason life rode on the outcome.

Thank goodness for Joe Tait.

Both teams shot better than 54 percent. There were no double-digit leads. It was a fitting conclusion to a four-game series (Indiana won the first three) decided by an average of 4.3 points.

Memo to ABC, ESPN, TNT: The Pacers-Cavaliers rivalry figures to be one of the league's best and most entertaining for the next few years.

Forget Boston vs. Philadelphia. Forget the New York Knicks, the most mediocre team money can buy.

The Pacers are in their prime. The Cavaliers' improvement is so rapid it could be measured on a radar gun. Network executives only wish they could move these rosters closer to a coast.

``You've got to be a good team to have a rivalry, and we are trying to make a rivalry with someone,'' said James, who finished with 26 points. ``Indiana could be a rival, or Detroit.''

The win over the Pacers was a great way to open a five-game homestand that could see the Cavaliers, brace yourself here, make a run at homecourt advantage in the first round of the playoffs.

It's a long shot, but armed with the confidence and poise they possess nothing seems impossible. Especially if the Indiana game is a precursor for the stretch drive.

The Cavaliers beat the Pacers despite getting just six points from James in the second half.

The Cavaliers never trailed after halftime even though the score was tight throughout. They held Indiana scoreless in the final pressure-packed 1:23.

``Cleveland has gained momentum, they are playing great, they look like a playoff team and (coach Paul Silas) is doing a great job with them,'' Pacers coach Rick Carlisle said

Silas received solid contributions from everybody. Jeff McInnis dished out 10 assists and made some clutch mid-range jumpers. Forward Lee Nailon was outstanding in relief of a foul-plagued Eric Williams.

Nailon scored 15 points, connecting on his first six field-goal attempts. The third-year pro might soon become the patron saint of 10-day contract holders everywhere.

``I knew I could play in this league,'' Nailon said. ``It was just finding the right team and the right coach that had confidence in me.''

Right now these Cavaliers believe, and with good reason.

They persevered in the final minutes against an opponent that had won seven consecutive games. The Cavaliers missed some opportunities to extend the lead but were good enough defensively when it counted.

Ilgauskas was brilliant, blocking an O'Neal shot, altering another and forcing a turnover with less than 40 seconds left. In the end, it was James getting out on Ron Artest to make his last-gasp 3-point attempt a difficult one.

How ironic James would be harassing Artest. Isn't it usually the other way around?

James is an emerging superstar. The physical Artest is one of the game's best two-way players. It should be a great battle for years to come.

Perhaps some network will have the good sense to televise it in the future.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Neither America nor a Midwest fan base got the chance to see a Cavaliers team come of age Sunday. They also missed an impressive Pacers team, which owns the league's best record, playing as if its postseason life rode on the outcome.

Thank goodness for Joe Tait.

Joe Tait is a great announcer on Cavs radio - perhaps the second best radio play-by-play guy I've ever heard. Back in the day before the Pacers were on Prime Sports Net, 3WE would come in with clearer reception than WNDE, so when the Pacers and Cavs would play I'd tune into their radio broadcast.

I was driving from Upland to my then-fiancee's parents in lovely Richmond listening to Joe Tait the night that Danny Ferry single-handedly destroyed us in the last minute of a game at MSA.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you