Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Famous Elevator companions

Banned

Default Famous Elevator companions

Quote Originally Posted by Zesty
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Speaking of the Pacemates, I went to a late season game this year and went to grab some dinner at the Old Spaghetti Factory afterward. I went back to garage and had to take the elevator up to the third or fourth level, and happened to share a ride with three of the Pacemates. Best elevator ride ever. I would have been my naturally effervescent, affable self, but my girlfriend was there with me and would have frowned upon it. God, she's so selfish sometimes.
    Reading this post from the Pacemate thread made me think about whether or not I'd ever ridden in an elevator with anyone famous.

I've can only think of two that could remotely be considered famous:

1) I rode in an elevator in Reno with Jim Lampley (ABC sportscaster).

2) I once rode in an elevator with Calvin Natt.

So, let's hear it. Who has ever gotten into elevator with someone REALLY famous?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Famous Elevator companions

During the Finals in 2000, I shared an elevator with Rick Fox. They were staying at the same hotel as my grandma, and she met all of the Lakers. She figured out which room Shaq was in and invited him down for dinner and he came. Brought Kobe with him. I didn't believe them, but she has the pics to prove it. Then when she went to pay, Shaq had picked up their tab to the tune of $800 or so. She says he's really nice in person, and he wanted to know about what they were doing in town instead of talking about basketball. She said Kobe just came down and ate and barely said a word.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by travmil
    During the Finals in 2000, I shared an elevator with Rick Fox. They were staying at the same hotel as my grandma, and she met all of the Lakers. She figured out which room Shaq was in and invited him down for dinner and he came. Brought Kobe with him. I didn't believe them, but she has the pics to prove it. Then when she went to pay, Shaq had picked up their tab to the tune of $800 or so. She says he's really nice in person, and he wanted to know about what they were doing in town instead of talking about basketball. She said Kobe just came down and ate and barely said a word.
    Okay, I believe you, but thats still the craziest story I've heard in sometime.

She just randomly called Shaq's room and said "Hi, this is Grandma Travmil and would you like to eat breakfast with me."

Then Shaq says "Sure Grand-mama, is it okay if Kobe comes too?"
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yep, that's pretty much how it happened. Except it was dinner and not breakfast. And Shaq didn't ask if he could bring Kobe. I bet my grandma would have said no.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I rode up in an elevator in the Four Seasons in Seattle with Scott Skiles when the Suns were in town.

I said, "From one Hoosier to another, good luck tonight." He said thanks. That was it. I'd just finished my morning run and he looked like the team flight had arrived just an hour or two earlier.

My, "I had a decent conversation with Carl Lewis" story is much, much better. But I only tell it to fellow track-and-field geeks.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    I rode up in an elevator in the Four Seasons in Seattle with Scott Skiles when the Suns were in town.

I said, "From one Hoosier to another, good luck tonight." He said thanks. That was it. I'd just finished my morning run and he looked like the team flight had arrived just an hour or two earlier.

My, "I had a decent conversation with Carl Lewis" story is much, much better. But I only tell it to fellow track-and-field geeks.
    please tell me u asked him if he was gay...

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by foretaz
    please tell me u asked him if he was gay...
    Nah... I didn't care one way or the other, and his fingernails weren't painted that day.

Besides, he could cover 200m in 19.9 seconds, and my best was only 22.2. If I didn't like the answer, or if he came onto me, I'm not sure I could've gotten away.

And he had his spikes on; I didn't. I was in normal street clothes/ shoes because I was working the starting line.

I know I probably shouldn't say "spikes" in repsonse to your question. Btown will be here soon with the smiley
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Never rode in an elevator with anyone famous, but one Pacemate works at a Check n Go off 52nd and Keystone, I did their security cameras. Really I wasn't too impressed, I think she was one of the talented Pacemates (ie, not hot)
    Sorry, I didn't know advertising was illegal here. Someone call the cops!

I always ride an elevator with someone so dashing, so sexy that it's so hard to concentrate. Thats why I never bring a mirror along...
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Nah... I didn't care one way or the other, and his fingernails weren't painted that day.

Besides, he could cover 200m in 19.9 seconds, and my best was only 22.2. If I didn't like the answer, or if he came onto me, I'm not sure I could've gotten away.

And he had his spikes on; I didn't. I was in normal street clothes/ shoes because I was working the starting line.

I know I probably shouldn't say "spikes" in repsonse to your question. Btown will be here soon with the smiley

I've always wanted to ask you what events you ran. I ran my soph thru my sr. year, but only ran 4meets the last one. I ran sprints, and managed to win 11 different championships in county, conference, and sectional meets in my 2 and 1/4 yrs.

foretaz

did he offer to sing for u???if so, ur right, u definitely cant run fast enuff

One of the guy's from Bob Dylan's band bought me a beer one night... but I can't think of any elevator run-ins with celebs. Plenty of hallway or other places tho....

Suzanne Somers
    Crystal Gayle
    Neil McCoy
    Hank Williams III
    Chuck Mangione
    Ramsey Lewis
    Aaron Tippin
    Pam Tillis
    Mark Wills
    Andy Griggs
    Cowboy Bob
    Drummer from Phish (forget his name)
    Maceo Parker
    Doug Stone
    Bob Larson (The guy that performs excorisms and claims the devil is in rock music)
    Oak Ridge Boys
    Boomer

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Well, I wasn't in an elevator, but I was going up some stairs and I swear I saw Karl Malone with his kids. I just stood there staring and he walks by, and I ask my dad who was with me, "Was that Karl Malone?!", he looks over his shoulder for awhile and very non-chalantley says, "Yeah." I was in Evansville at the time in a tournament. I wasn't really sure if it was him, but when I went back out in the parking lot I saw a car with Utah Plates......so if it was, I am seriously pissed. You know though, if you saw Karl Malone in real life, you would know, and I am almost 100% it was him.

I was at another tournament this year at the University of Evansville and I saw a guy, the right height, right build, and uncanny resemblence to Freddie Jones, I about crapped my pants, but then I thought, Ok, I'm in Indiana and people are noticing him so it can't be him, right? Think it was?
    Life without water is tough, life without air is hard,life with one leg only is wobbly, Life without Reggie Miller, is impossible.

Do Not Trade Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Brunner
    Veteran Austin Croshere, the longest-tenured Pacers player on the roster, has proven reliable when called upon, invariably ready to step in regardless of the circumstance.

When I was a youngin, me and my dad were going to a card convention for the ABA, The Iceman was standing outside, my dad told me to go up to him and ask him for an autograph, the guy said "sure, just follow me inside", he goes in one set of doors, I go in one with my dad, which was free, then he proceeds to walk over to his booth, where it cost 25 bucks for an autograph. I was like 10 years old at the time. Dickhead.
    Sorry, I didn't know advertising was illegal here. Someone call the cops!

I rode the elevator with the Dalai Lama in 1990. This was after my dad had interviewed him for TV. Really nice guy.

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by efx
    I rode the elevator with the Dalai Lama in 1990. This was after my dad had interviewed him for TV. Really nice guy.
    hmmm....what year did caddyshack come out???

Stacey Augmon on the streets of NY
    Govenor Ronald Reagan in a hotel in GrandJunction Colorado campaining in 1980. (not quite a thrill as i was 7 and my family is liberal-democrat, still Nancy pointed at me and waived so i waived back)
    Sybil Shepard at a museum in DC.
    Reggie Miller at the Bradley Center in Milwaukee
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "It's a league game, Smokey"

Wayne Brady

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Did I ever mention that I saw Hulk Hogan and Vern Troyner (mini-me) sitting next to each other in a coffee shop?

Zesty

Quote Originally Posted by 8.9_seconds
    Well, I wasn't in an elevator, but I was going up some stairs and I swear I saw Karl Malone with his kids. I just stood there staring and he walks by, and I ask my dad who was with me, "Was that Karl Malone?!", he looks over his shoulder for awhile and very non-chalantley says, "Yeah." I was in Evansville at the time in a tournament. I wasn't really sure if it was him, but when I went back out in the parking lot I saw a car with Utah Plates......so if it was, I am seriously pissed. You know though, if you saw Karl Malone in real life, you would know, and I am almost 100% it was him.
    That's two of us that have had a near-brush with KM. My mom was in town visiting several years ago and was staying at (I think) the Omni downtown. I went to go pick her up for dinner and walked right past Karl Malone in the lobby. He almost walked right into me because he was reading the paper while walking and not paying attention to where he was going. Lucky for him he missed, or I would've had to get nasty with him.

Mood

Well, I don't know if anyone on here is going to know who he is...but, Zig Ziglar taught me how to shake hands.

It was really kind of funny. My parents always told me to shake with a nice, firm grip, but, it just never too hold with me I guess. We were at a conference where Zig was a keynote speaker and he was sitting at an autograph table. I was 9 or 10, and not the out-going type, but, not necessarily shy. Mom had him autograph a book, and I just shook his hand and said, "hi." He looked at my hand and said, "Boy, when you shake someone's hand, grab their hand and be firm...let 'em know you're there." And, as he gave me the example, that same lesson Mom and Dad tried to teach me, I finally grasped.

We've seen him a time or two more, and I shake his hand now and he says, "Now there's a good, strong handshake."

Other than that, I've met the entire band 'Pillar,' they rock hard.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Quote Originally Posted by Zesty
    That's two of us that have had a near-brush with KM. My mom was in town visiting several years ago and was staying at (I think) the Omni downtown. I went to go pick her up for dinner and walked right past Karl Malone in the lobby. He almost walked right into me because he was reading the paper while walking and not paying attention to where he was going. Lucky for him he missed, or I would've had to get nasty with him.

Haha, I'm sure you would have faired well with the Mail man
    Life without water is tough, life without air is hard,life with one leg only is wobbly, Life without Reggie Miller, is impossible.

Do Not Trade Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Brunner
    Veteran Austin Croshere, the longest-tenured Pacers player on the roster, has proven reliable when called upon, invariably ready to step in regardless of the circumstance.

My son and I were taking the elevator to the luncheon for David Stern at Conseco the season before last. The elevator stopped at the second floor and on walked Larry Bird and the Commish complete with entourage. I said to the embarrasment of my son, "Commissioner I am glad you could have lunch with Larry and me". Stern chuckled rather heartily; Bird smiled, but barely. They both posed for pictures with us after the luncheon.

I also rode an elevator with Ron Artest in the Bank One Building less than a week after the Malice at the Palace incident. I was making a delivery so my hands were full as I entered the elevator. Ron was kind enough to offer to press my floor's button for me. I accepted. Ron was extremely cordial and pleasant. I told him I was a season ticket holder and wanted him back soon. He said he was happy the team was playing so well. My impression was that Ron was an extremely pleasant, almost shy person. I don't think either of us realized at the time that the suspension he received from Stern would last the entire season.

Mood

Other than that, I've met the entire band 'Pillar,' they rock hard.
    Agreed. I love that band. Favorite christian group.

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness
    I always ride an elevator with someone so dashing, so sexy that it's so hard to concentrate. Thats why I never bring a mirror along...

I meet JR Reed at Circuit City, Steve Smith and Bruce Bowen at church, and saw Greg Popovich at the grocery store.