Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article Request

Default Re: Article Request

Quote Originally Posted by PacerFanAdam
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Chad Ford, not Chris.
    Damnit!

Yeah, well, I hate Chris Ford too. Dirty, no good Celtic!
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

[QUOTE=Will Galen]I think Bender is a bit mad at the Pacers right now for two reasons. One, the Pacers medical staff haven't fixed him, in fact there are rumors that the medical staff is part of the problem.

QUOTE]

If the team's docs couldn't fix his problem couldn't he have gotten on outside source to do so? It's only been, what, 5 years now?

The only thing about Bender that keeps me encouraged about him is that Doc Rivers said, " He reminds me of a longer Tracy Mcgrady" *remember Doc coached T-mac... From watching JB in Minny I didn't notice that he seemed disinterested at all, he just looked a little unfimiliar with the guys and the strategy of the team... IMO he was pretty aggressive taking the ball to the hoop and most of the time he'd draw a foul, although most of the time he was passing it off (like everyone else) to Ron.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

They're exactly alike . . . except that TMac had a breakout season his first year.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan
    They're exactly alike . . . except that TMac had a breakout season his first year.

Well, his first year in Orlando.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by PacersandIU
    The only thing about Bender that keeps me encouraged about him is that Doc Rivers said, " He reminds me of a longer Tracy Mcgrady" *remember Doc coached T-mac... From watching JB in Minny I didn't notice that he seemed disinterested at all, he just looked a little unfimiliar with the guys and the strategy of the team... IMO he was pretty aggressive taking the ball to the hoop and most of the time he'd draw a foul, although most of the time he was passing it off (like everyone else) to Ron.
    I totally believe you in one sense, but what you are saying is exactly why some of us are so p!ssed at him for leaving.

He never works out with the team unless it's during the season & then he sets out over half of those with pain.

I know there will be some on here to rush to point out that he wasn't with the real team & that they don't care because after all it was just the summer league.

All of that may be true but one thing that keeps running through my mind now about Jon that ran through it about Ron earlier this season. It's an old Rudyard Kipling saying that goes something along the lines of "your actions ring so loudly above your head that I cannot hear what you say".

Well Jon once again could not be bothered to be with the Pacers org. forget if it was his team mates, the management of the team was there along with some of his team mates.

Now for all I know Ron is playing there as a condition for re-instatement but even I don't doubt for a min. that Ron would have played if the Pacers/league had demanded it or not. Now if you wanna say Ron is a special case then fine, but to me Jon is to.

Like I've said before, Jon has never once come to the Pacers during the summer.

Now is he required to? No.

Should we as fans hold it against him for not coming? Maybe. If someone can be praised for going above & beyond then someone can be chided for only doing the bare minimum to get by. Even Benders biggest supporters can show you no evidence that this guy has a burning desire to get on the floor & play with the team. He can always manage to play in unorganized pickup games for charity but can't seem to ever become involved in organized games for the team.

Which brings me to another question. Is there anybody else who wonders if there isn't some form of restriction the Pacers should put on Bender for playing in unorganized games? Let's face it, if he is as injury prone as he claims & some of you believe then just like other players have it in thier contracts that they can't skydive, ride motorcycles or fly on their own shouldn't Jon have a clause that does not allow him to play at all without medical clearance? Or maybe even at all.

Which brings me to another point. Could the Pacers void his contract if he played in that charity game without medical clearance? If they could would you be ok if they did it?

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

foretaz

hmmmmm....

interesting concept....

dangerous activities described as: skydiving, motorcycle riding, bungee jumping, stock car racing, snow skiing, and playing basketball....

i have a feeling he might be the first professional basketball player to ever be prohibited from playing basketball....

i guess its neither sad nor funny that its come to this...

theres not a player in the league that doesnt play these games...

its what they do during the summer....

if hes gonna break, hes gonna break....whether it be in a pickup game or a pacer regular season game....

if he indeed is that fragile....then such a clause would probably only be delaying the inevitable....

by manys admission, he needs to improve, and hes probably not gonna do that by never playing except regular season.....or practice...

there are many stories of summer pickup games....remember the kobe/ reggie stories?

the competition he finds there would almost invariably be better than any summer league as most of these guys in these games are nba players...

i still feel like the only thing thats gonna change peoples minds about bender is not unlike what it will take for the same people to change their minds about ron....

an extended period of time playing nba regular season games and producing, contributing, and helping the team contend for a title....

till that happens, people will always be able to find many things to be unhappy about, towards bender or ron...

Quote Originally Posted by foretaz
    hmmmmm....

interesting concept....

dangerous activities described as: skydiving, motorcycle riding, bungee jumping, stock car racing, snow skiing, and playing basketball....

i have a feeling he might be the first professional basketball player to ever be prohibited from playing basketball....

i guess its neither sad nor funny that its come to this...

theres not a player in the league that doesnt play these games...

its what they do during the summer....

if hes gonna break, hes gonna break....whether it be in a pickup game or a pacer regular season game....

if he indeed is that fragile....then such a clause would probably only be delaying the inevitable....

by manys admission, he needs to improve, and hes probably not gonna do that by never playing except regular season.....or practice...

there are many stories of summer pickup games....remember the kobe/ reggie stories?

the competition he finds there would almost invariably be better than any summer league as most of these guys in these games are nba players...

i still feel like the only thing thats gonna change peoples minds about bender is not unlike what it will take for the same people to change their minds about ron....

an extended period of time playing nba regular season games and producing, contributing, and helping the team contend for a title....

till that happens, people will always be able to find many things to be unhappy about, towards bender or ron

On this we are in 100% agreement.

There is no better way to shut some of us up than to give us productive basketball that contributes to winning.

All Artest has to do is play within the team & not be a distraction & all Jon has to do is play & show that he has been in the NBA for 6 seasons & knows the plays & does not look like a deer in headlights.

Actually if you want the truth, my bar is set much higher for Jon than it is for Ron.

All Ron has to do is play & not F up.

Jon on the other hand has to do something a little more. He has to show that he will play & that he knows how to play.

Now as to your theory that if he's gonna break no matter what then if I'm the Pacers I sure as hell would much rather him go down playing in a game trying to help us win than to be playing vs. Bob Sura in a pointless one on one game.

As to getting better??? Here's a thought, Jon would get better by just getting away from the NBAstreet game that he embody's. In other words read what has been said about him by both the coaching staff & our own poster who saw him play. He looks like he hasn't played with our team & he doesn't know the plays.

Come to the Pacers & learn how to play our plays & get insider our team concept.

Playing one on one will do nothing to get better. Now if he want's to play one on one with someone may I suggest it be Ben Wallace or Rasheed Wallace or hell even Nazr Mohamad. But not players that he is almost a foot taller than.

I could care less if he worked on shooting at all or if he didn't play a lick of offense for that matter for the rest of the summer. Get with Carlisley, Burke, Person or hell Mel Danials for that matter & learn to play some defense.

I'm sorry the more & I the way this went down & the more I read about it the less & less I like Bender.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

foretaz

well like ive said before...if the bender frustration takes away some of the artest disdain, then it might not be totally bad....

i think artest is valued alot more by management than bender at this stage....

though i am greedy...id love for the both of them to be able to contribute....because i believe their contributions could both go along way towards helping this team achieve its ultimate goal....

if bender would be able to play quality minutes at the backup 4....it would give us a number of options at the trade deadline...