Thread: Pacers need Bender on floor

Default Pacers need Bender on floor

Mike Beas: Pacers need Bender on floor

Jonathan Bender soon dips a big toe into the waters of his seventh NBA season. In this era of Internet access that means we should know everything about the guy short of his maternal grandmother’s maiden name and what vegetables he hated as a kid.

Yet here is what most Indiana Pacers fans can tell you about the 24-year-old forward the franchise plucked out of high school in the 1999 NBA Draft:

Bender is, um, really tall.

Regardless of what mathematical formulas are laid out regarding the 7-foot forward, none can be categorized as flattering due a frustrating linage of injuries that have greatly assisted in Bender solidifying his friendship with the water cooler at the end of the Indiana bench.

Consider that:

n Since donning the blue and gold for the first time, Bender has taken part in an average of 39.2 games per season — or 48 percent of the 82-game regular-season schedule. Furthermore, the numbers have dipped to an embarrassing 24.7 games the past three seasons, bottoming out in 2004-2005 with only seven games played.

n In the time it’s taken Bender to see court time a total of 235 times, Reggie Miller in his first six seasons in Indiana tucked away 484 regular-season performances and well over 500 when one throws in playoff games. And the list goes on. Dale Davis 444 games, Jeff Foster 392, Austin Croshere 340.

By pouring in 31 points in the 1999 McDonald’s High School All-America Game, Bender came off exuding a sort of Garnett-ish air the Pacers found too tempting to pass up.

The kid could post up, windmill opposing shots, even step out and feather in long-range jumpers. JB was our KG, doggone it. Our future. Our post-Reggie. Bender and the newly built Conseco Fieldhouse were going to hit their stride together, perhaps deliver a championship or two.

Fast-forward to 2005 and Conseco looks great. Bender remains the world’s tallest unanswered question.

Every October we hear those all-too-familiar words — ‘breakout’ and ‘season’ — because Bender looks and plays spectacular during Indiana’s training camp. Then, like clockwork, the sleek and spit-shined Ferrari turns into the last car out at the county fair demolition derby, dents galore and a dragging back bumper.

There was the broken left wrist in 2000, the torn left calf muscle in ’03 and knee issues the past two seasons — left in ’04, right this past season.

Somehow franchise twin towers Donnie Walsh and Larry Bird have demonstrated incredible patience waiting for Bender to live up to his pricetag, probably out of fear that, if traded, he’ll ultimately deliver the goods for another franchise. If Bender was to evolve into an NBA All-Star for, say the Lakers or Kings, Bird would require hospitalization from kicking himself so many times.

In fairness to Bender, no one other than Jonathan Bender knows how Jonathan Bender feels. The nagging pains. The frustrating inability to stretch that incredible potential over 82 games and into the playoffs. The mental burden of knowing you’ve become the poster child for letting people down.

Just maybe the 2005-2006 season, his seventh, will be a lucky ‘7’ for Bender. Lord knows the kid is owed some good fortune.

WHERE ARE THE UNIFORMS: For weeks I’ve heard the Pacers were finally ditching the pinstripes for new uniforms, but to date there has been no visual evidence of that.

An e-mail courtesy of Pacers spokesman David Benner informs me the unveiling is likely to happen sometime in September.

Here’s a vote for a blue-gold version of those mid-1970s Cleveland Cavaliers uniforms with the horizontal stripes down the side of both jersey and game pants (now you know why they don’t consult me on such matters).

PACERS NEED TO RETIRE MORE NUMBERS: Move over Roger Brown’s ‘35’, Mel Daniels’ ‘34’ and the ‘30’ made famous by George McGinnis and make room for ‘31’.

Though no announcement has been made, it’s only a matter of time before the Indiana franchise showers retired Reggie Miller with one final wave of applause by retiring the number of the team’s all-time leading scorer.

If Miller demonstrates any apprehension in a solo ceremony, the Pacers ought to consider letting Rik Smits’ No. 45, Billy Knight’s No. 25, Freddie Lewis’ No. 14 or the No. 11 of Billy Keller grace the rafters of Conseco Fieldhouse.

Not in the running: No. 1 (Bo Lamar), No. 35 (Charlie Edge), and No. 44 (Tom Thacker).

Sports Editor Mike Beas can be reached at mike.beas@

heraldbulletin.com.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Default Re: Pacers need Bender on floor

I was shocked! That's my hometown newspaper. Former hometown I should say.

I must say, I don't agree with retiring those numbers with Reggie's.

After Reggie (can't wait for that mid-week ceremony during the Cliipers game) I think that you could retire Smits and that is about it other than perhaps Terrence Stansbury
    Heywoode says... work hard man.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hey now, don't Dog Thacker
    (waiting)

HE LEFT OUT NETOLICKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm sorry guys. I'm just not one who thinks Smits number should be retired. If you're looking the numbers hanging up his will stick out like a sore thumb. Now if they want to create a ring of honor for Rik, Dale, Mark, Vern, etc... I'm all for it. But the retired numbers are for true superstars, one of a kind players.
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm sorry guys. I'm just not one who thinks Smits number should be retired. If you're looking the numbers hanging up his will stick out like a sore thumb. Now if they want to create a ring of honor for Rik, Dale, Mark, Vern, etc... I'm all for it. But the retired numbers are for true superstars, one of a kind players.
    Agree completely with DD on this. I however suggest we could name some fixtures in Conseco after players. I would have no problem flushing the Jon Bender memorial urinal.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Look at the numbers??? Smits is 2nd all time in Pacers scoring. He was the 2nd biggest part of those 90's teams.
    Sorry, I didn't know advertising was illegal here. Someone call the cops!

I thought Smits was supposed to get his number retired sometime in the near future, am I wrong???

Quote Originally Posted by rommie
    I thought Smits was supposed to get his number retired sometime in the near future, am I wrong???
    Probably.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by rommie
    No, but I did hear Smits number will be on a beatup Cadillac he plans on entering a county fair for smashup derby. Oh, and Bender is driving.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by RWB
    I would have no problem flushing the Jon Bender memorial urinal.
    Good luck with that. It's always out of order.....

foretaz

at the risk of sounding insensitive.....putting rik smits number up at conseco would be unbelievably insulting to those whose jerseys are already up there and those that will soon be up there....

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If Rik's number is retired, it won't be #45.

(One more reason to dislike Bender. )
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

bender is the modern day grant hill. Only he never showed any of his skills. Grant will never play a full 82 games plus playoffs and neither will JB.
    "GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by J33J
    bender is the modern day grant hill. Only he never showed any of his skills. Grant will never play a full 82 games plus playoffs and neither will JB.
    I thought Grant Hill was the modern day Grant Hill.
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"