Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite Firefox extensions

Zesty

Default Your favorite Firefox extensions

I know there are a ton of these out there and thought this might be a good way for some people to learn about any that are handy or cool that they were heretofore unware of. I'll get things started.

BBcodeXtra - I use this one all the time and find it to be invaluable, and anyone who frequents message boards will almost assuredly agree. In text boxes such as this one, you highlight text that you're typing, right-click on it, and the BBcodeXtra menu lets you apply formatting such as bold, italics, blockquoting, etc in the very common bbCode format. If you're wanting to make a link, just copy the URL and select Make selection URL. It's just insanely handy, and you can also use it to apply HTML and xHTML code. Here's a screenshot of it at work:

ColorZilla - Very handy for getting hex color codes from images in your browser.

BugMeNot - Very hand for bypassing registration on sites that want you to register to view content. Just right-click in the username box on the sign-in page and select the BugMeNot option and it checks the BugMeNot database for valid sign-in info and automatically applies it. Login accounts are all user-submitted, so don't feel like you're hacking into someone's account or something.

Allow Right-Click - Some sites won't let you access a right-click menu to keep you from copying text or images. This does a good job of bypassing that.

Gmail Notifier - I don't really use this one anymore since I installed a Gmail checker plugin for Trillian (fantastic program), but I used to use it all the time. Does what you might think -- provide your login info and it will let you know when you have a new email in your Gmail account. For security purposes, you have to re-enter your info after closing Firefox, though I think you can have that info saved.

I'm sure lots of you have some cool ones I've never heard of, so let's hear 'em.

Default Re: Your favorite Firefox extensions

I use the gmail one all the time, its so handy.

sweabs

The only one I use is forecastfox. I love it.

Adblock. Can't do without it.

Besides the obvious uses, I use it on people's avatars when I'm sick of looking at them.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Adblock. Can't do without it.

Besides the obvious uses, I use it on people's avatars when I'm sick of looking at them.
    I never thought of that! That's

What themes do you guys use?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Zesty

I don't use one, just the default.

I didn't use any until this thread

Now I use Adblock, thanks to Anthem... Good call on the Avatar block tip

and I just downloaded the Noia theme, so far so good...

The two best themes, IMO, are Pheonity and Qute. Noia is a little much for me.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Nuke Anything (great for printing only what you want)

AdBlock

Spellbound
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

I guess I'm a dork, I couldn't get either Adblock or BBCodeXtra to work.

I do use Cookie Culler, which lets you keep the cookies you want and dump the rest. At least I got that to work.
    "If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you." - Jack Handy

Quote Originally Posted by Vicious Tyrant
    I guess I'm a dork, I couldn't get either Adblock or BBCodeXtra to work.
    Are you sure? Right-click on an image and see if you get new options.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Yeah, it doesn't work. The "extensions" window shows it loaded, but its crossed out and says it will load next time Firefox loads, or something to that effect. It's been saying that for a couple days now after numerous times being loaded up.

any ideas?
    "If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you." - Jack Handy

Yeah, it doesn't work. The "extensions" window shows it loaded, but its crossed out and says it will load next time Firefox loads, or something to that effect. It's been saying that for a couple days now after numerous times being loaded up.

any ideas?
    Not really. Did you try updating it? Maybe uninstall and reinstall?

I really couldn't say.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Heh. That did it. All hail Anthem.

I played around with it this morning. It seems like a lot of times the id/password they provide isn't valid. Is there any way of reporting that? Most times it took me four or five tries before it would go through.

Ad Block is great
    I also use FoxyTunes to control iTunes from the FF status bar

Oops. Just realized my ID comment/question was about Bugmenot, not AdBlock.

Hey Anthem (or anyone else) - I've got AdBlock up, and I'm enjoying it (even if I don't quite understand the regular expressions).

I've got one question - when I click on the AdBlock icon on the bottom right corner (which calls up the blockable images) - is there a way to just hit a button to block the highlighted image? I can't make it do that, so I end up having to go back to the webpage and left click it. It seems like I should be able to do that from the window, but I can't.

Does that make sense?

Also - Zesty, when I downloaded that BBCode program, it came to me in an *.xpi thingy. My computer didn't know what to do with that. It sounds cool, but can you give me any tips on how to get it set up?

Hey Anthem (or anyone else) - I've got AdBlock up, and I'm enjoying it (even if I don't quite understand the regular expressions).

I've got one question - when I click on the AdBlock icon on the bottom right corner (which calls up the blockable images) - is there a way to just hit a button to block the highlighted image? I can't make it do that, so I end up having to go back to the webpage and left click it. It seems like I should be able to do that from the window, but I can't.

Does that make sense?
    To be honest, it does make sense but I don't know how to fix it.

I also don't know how to unblock something after I've blocked it.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I can answer that one for you.

I just go to the Adblock section in my Tools menu. Click on Properties and all your blocked thingys will show up. I can use the Delete key to unblock them.

I am so smart...S-M-R-T!

Zesty

Also - Zesty, when I downloaded that BBCode program, it came to me in an *.xpi thingy. My computer didn't know what to do with that. It sounds cool, but can you give me any tips on how to get it set up?
    Just double-click on the file. When Windows asks what it should do to find the program to open it with, click the radio button to select the program from a list. Select Firefox. The .xpi should turn into a Firefox icon. Double-click it again and it should load up the normal extension installer window.

An update on Wally's computer life (for those who've been jonesing)

I got Bugmenot, AdBlock, and BBCodeXtra all working for me. Thanks to all for the good recommendations, they're fun additions!

Zesty,

If you don't mind, what version of Firefox are you using? I haven't been able to get the cut and paste thing to work with web pages although I've downloaded BB codextra, confirmed it's an installed extension and changed my WYSIWYG settings here. I keep getting a message that states"you need to edit your Mozilla config to use this feature" What am I doing wrong?

Zesty

Please explain exactly what you mean by "cut and paste thing." I'm using version 1.0.6, btw.