Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 61

Thread: Has Bender made it possible for me to dislike Ron Artest less???

  1. #1
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,816

    Default Has Bender made it possible for me to dislike Ron Artest less???

    I'm thinking about it & right now I wouldn't give a plugged nickle for either of them but that stunt Jon pulls every summer just has me hoppin mad.

    For everything I dislike about Ron, & God knows I've listed many of them on multiple times, at least I never had the feeling Ron didn't care whether he played or not.

    I had gotten to the point where just to be honest I didn't give a crap about Bender one way or another. But the fly in for one game & leave the team sitting thing just rekindled what I hate about him & have for every season he has been here.

    Do you realize this is not a unique situtation with Jon? He does this every year & has since his rookie year.

    He wouldn't come to the city as a rookie to work with the trainers or coaching staff, they had to fly to him.

    He refused to take part in Pete Newells big man camp & decided he could work out on his own & again the Pacers had to fly staff down to meet him.

    This happens year after year after year with him.

    I know some are going to say "big deal" it's the summer. Well, yes it is a big deal.

    David Harrison moved to the city last summer to work with the staff, Danny Granger is already here now. Fred Jones flew in several times for individual workouts. Yet Jon can never seem to be bothered working with the team on his game.

    He can't seem to play in any form of organized Pacers games yet can participate in charity games & pick up games. Wasn't his knee supposedly injured last year while playing in a pickup game?

    Is he injued? Probably, hell I'm not even sure anymore. At one point in time I would have said yes he was injured but I don't know if he still is or not.

    At the very least he needs a P.R. guy to tell him that when you have never lived up to expectations you should do everything in your power to make it look like you are trying to live up to your expectations & that injurys are holding you down.

    Jon has no visibility in the franchise at all. Hell I'd be happy if he showed up a the local MARSH store to sign autographs.

    People want to believe in him, people want to accept as fact his injury. But he makes it so damn hard to beleive him because of his isolation & percieved refusal to be part of the team.

    Real or perceived is irrelavent about being part of the team because perception becomes reality & for a lot of us Jon just doesn't seem to posses any form of burning desire to be part of this team.

    If nothing else good has come from this at least we can say that Jon has made me have a better appreciation for Ron Artest.

    Ron's out there busting his @ss everyday while Jon heads back to the big easy for rest.

    Does anybody think for a min. that Jermaine O'neal wouldn't do summer league if he was asked to? I can tell you I've seen J.O. at several summer practice sessions with rookies & free agents over the years just wanting to get better.

    I've never seen Jon darken the door.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  2. #2
    Mjolnir Diamond Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Crawfordsville
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,175
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Has Bender made it possible for me to dislike Ron Artest less???

    Man he doesn't need no stinking summer league.

    I mean, remember what he told us on draft night.

    "All the similarities to Kevin Garnett are nice, but I'm Jonathon Bender"
    House Name: Pacers

    House Sigil:



    House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

  3. #3
    ENABEABLER MagicRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,852

    Default Re: Has Bender made it possible for me to dislike Ron Artest less???

    http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...TS04/507200398

    Jonathan Bender
    Bender's stop in Minneapolis was shorter than expected, but not because of another injury.

    He was supposed to play two games, but the Pacers decided to pull him after one. Bender, who has yet to live up to his potential since being the No. 5 overall pick in the 1999 NBA draft because of injuries, had been rehabbing his injured right knee almost nonstop for the past few months. He will take about a week off before he continues rehabbing in New Orleans and Houston.

    Bender looked out of sync because he didn't practice with the team before going to Minneapolis. He had eight points and five rebounds in 26 minutes and showed no signs of his knee bothering him on the court.

    The Pacers expect Bender to be ready for training camp in October.


    ------------------------
    Supporting Jon Jon = Supporting PACERS
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

  4. #4
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,632

    Default Re: Has Bender made it possible for me to dislike Ron Artest less???

    Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He was supposed to play two games, but the Pacers decided to pull him after one.
    I saw that, but I've gone over to the dark side. I think that's spin, that he bailed without consulting with "The Pacers", and they are just trying to keep any problems internal to the team. IMO, the next time Bender looks like he cares about The Pacers, The NBA, or basketball in general will be his first.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  5. #5
    Mjolnir Diamond Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Crawfordsville
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,175
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Has Bender made it possible for me to dislike Ron Artest less???

    Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...TS04/507200398

    Jonathan Bender
    Bender's stop in Minneapolis was shorter than expected, but not because of another injury.

    He was supposed to play two games, but the Pacers decided to pull him after one. Bender, who has yet to live up to his potential since being the No. 5 overall pick in the 1999 NBA draft because of injuries, had been rehabbing his injured right knee almost nonstop for the past few months. He will take about a week off before he continues rehabbing in New Orleans and Houston.

    Bender looked out of sync because he didn't practice with the team before going to Minneapolis. He had eight points and five rebounds in 26 minutes and showed no signs of his knee bothering him on the court.

    The Pacers expect Bender to be ready for training camp in October.


    ------------------------
    Supporting Jon Jon = Supporting PACERS
    Well it has been quietly hypothized around here and at RATS for several years that the Pacers have realized that they built this guy up so much that he can never live up to it and they now feel a pressure to hide him.
    House Name: Pacers

    House Sigil:



    House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

  6. #6
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,051

    Default Re: Has Bender made it possible for me to dislike Ron Artest less???

    Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...TS04/507200398

    Jonathan Bender
    Bender's stop in Minneapolis was shorter than expected, but not because of another injury.

    He was supposed to play two games, but the Pacers decided to pull him after one. Bender, who has yet to live up to his potential since being the No. 5 overall pick in the 1999 NBA draft because of injuries, had been rehabbing his injured right knee almost nonstop for the past few months. He will take about a week off before he continues rehabbing in New Orleans and Houston.

    Bender looked out of sync because he didn't practice with the team before going to Minneapolis. He had eight points and five rebounds in 26 minutes and showed no signs of his knee bothering him on the court.

    The Pacers expect Bender to be ready for training camp in October.


    ------------------------
    Supporting Jon Jon = Supporting PACERS

    That's what they are saying now. I swear I read last week somewhere that the Pacers were surprised when Jon Left. The article was either a Star article or a Bruno article on Pacers.com. It wasn't the article where he says he was taking a break, it was a different one.


    I've looked for it but I'll look again.

  7. #7
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,986

    Default Re: Has Bender made it possible for me to dislike Ron Artest less???

    MR, even I think that is spin.

    I'm not going to defend Bender. Especially when he makes Artest look good.

  8. #8
    Mjolnir Diamond Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Crawfordsville
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,175
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Has Bender made it possible for me to dislike Ron Artest less???

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    I'm not going to defend Bender. Especially when he makes Artest look good.


    The tables are beginning to turn your way again eh?
    House Name: Pacers

    House Sigil:



    House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

  9. #9
    ENABEABLER MagicRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,852

    Default Re: Has Bender made it possible for me to dislike Ron Artest less???

    I thought Mike Wells was supposed to be the great anti-bunny?
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

  10. #10
    Mjolnir Diamond Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Crawfordsville
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,175
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Has Bender made it possible for me to dislike Ron Artest less???

    Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought Mike Wells was supposed to be the great anti-bunny?
    They've gotten to him.

    House Name: Pacers

    House Sigil:



    House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

  11. #11
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,496

    Default Re: Has Bender made it possible for me to dislike Ron Artest less???

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm thinking about it & right now I wouldn't give a plugged nickle for either of them but that stunt Jon pulls every summer just has me hoppin mad.

    For everything I dislike about Ron, & God knows I've listed many of them on multiple times, at least I never had the feeling Ron didn't care whether he played or not.
    Unless he (Artest) is retiring at some point in a season....




    Jon has no visibility in the franchise at all. Hell I'd be happy if he showed up a the local MARSH store to sign autographs.
    And sprain a finger or wrist signing autographs? Heaven forbid he has to reach to grab whatever a fan is handing to him to sign and strains a shoulder!!!


    Does anybody think for a min. that Jermaine O'neal wouldn't do summer league if he was asked to? I can tell you I've seen J.O. at several summer practice sessions with rookies & free agents over the years just wanting to get better.

    I've never seen Jon darken the door.
    This is another reason why Bender's contract extension was a big fat mistake. If we re-signed him at all we should've let him test the water of FA and see what was out there for him. His agent has to be laughing to this day that either we offered or accepted such a deal. IMHO it would've been well worth rolling the dice to see if anyone else wanted him and at how much rather than extending him.

    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  12. #12

    Default Re: Has Bender made it possible for me to dislike Ron Artest less???

    I've hated the fact that he's on this team for so long. He is such an incredible distraction, whether he's going to be playing one day, but not the other. It's just so irritating. And I think that he just can't play, that's why they pulled him.

    Not to mention his basketball IQ is so freaking low that....well, it sucks.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  13. #13
    Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cumberland
    Posts
    15,359
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Has Bender made it possible for me to dislike Ron Artest less???

    Don't do this to me Peck.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

  14. #14
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: Has Bender made it possible for me to dislike Ron Artest less???

    Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not to mention his basketball IQ is so freaking low that....well, it sucks.
    I have no idea what his basketball skills are considering I haven't seen him play for so long. He could be the next MJ for all I know. That doesn't do any of us any good if he's not a contributing member of the roster this year.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Has Bender made it possible for me to dislike Ron Artest less???

    Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have no idea what his basketball skills are considering I haven't seen him play for so long. He could be the next MJ for all I know. That doesn't do any of us any good if he's not a contributing member of the roster this year.
    After watching him repeatedly drive into the lane against the Pistons in '04 and having the ball gotten stolen or getting an offensive foul or whatever in just 1 game, he has to be stupid basketball-wise. No other explanation, is there?
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  16. #16
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,986

    Default Re: Has Bender made it possible for me to dislike Ron Artest less???

    You know what, for someone most of you have given up on long ago, Bender is sure getting a lot of discussion in this forum. I thought you gave up years ago. Why all of a sudden all the discussion.

  17. #17
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: Has Bender made it possible for me to dislike Ron Artest less???

    Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    After watching him repeatedly drive into the lane against the Pistons in '04 and having the ball gotten stolen or getting an offensive foul or whatever in just 1 game, he has to be stupid basketball-wise. No other explanation, is there?
    Like I said, it's been a long time. Thanks for refreshing my memory ... or re-opening my almost-healed headwound.

  18. #18
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: Has Bender made it possible for me to dislike Ron Artest less???

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You know what, for someone most of you have given up on long ago, Bender is sure getting a lot of discussion in this forum. I thought you gave up years ago. Why all of a sudden all the discussion.
    Utter and complete boredom. You have to ask?

  19. #19
    Mjolnir Diamond Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Crawfordsville
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,175
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Has Bender made it possible for me to dislike Ron Artest less???

    Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've hated the fact that he's on this team for so long. He is such an incredible distraction, whether he's going to be playing one day, but not the other. It's just so irritating. And I think that he just can't play, that's why they pulled him.

    Not to mention his basketball IQ is so freaking low that....well, it sucks.
    Are you talking about Bender or Artest.
    House Name: Pacers

    House Sigil:



    House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

  20. #20

    Default Re: Has Bender made it possible for me to dislike Ron Artest less???

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You know what, for someone most of you have given up on long ago, Bender is sure getting a lot of discussion in this forum. I thought you gave up years ago. Why all of a sudden all the discussion.
    It happens every year. Bender plays in one game, and all of a sudden the next coming has returned. That inexplicable hope that he will somehow shine in glory gets every so excited.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  21. #21
    Member Ultimate Frisbee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,374

    Default Re: Has Bender made it possible for me to dislike Ron Artest less???

    http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/question_050720.html

    Conrad says that Bender made the decision not to play:

    "Q. I think a lot of people were under the impression that (Jonathan) Bender was going to play two games this week but he only played one. Did his knees get bad again or was it more of a precautionary thing so he would be ready for training camp? Also, do you think players like Maurice Carter and Chris Thomas have a chance to make the roster this year, much like (John) Edwards did last year? (From Ben in Indiana)



    A. Bender was originally scheduled to play two games, Friday and Sunday, with two days off in between to allow his knees to rest. But after playing 26 minutes in the opening game Friday afternoon, Bender opted to pull out of the summer league because he reportedly said he needed some time off after his busy rehab schedule. The team certainly would've liked to see him play in the second game, but he reported no pain after the first, so that was a positive sign. There remains hope he'll be able to participate in training camp but, at this point, there is no certainty where Bender is concerned.

    As for the non-roster free agents, Carter certainly impressed the staff both with his consistent production (14.5 points, 5.5 rebounds and 66.7 percent shooting) and his ability to get the most out of a secondary role on a team focused on Ron Artest and David Harrison. He should be in somebody's training camp this fall. Thomas was up and down, finishing with averages of 7.3 points and 2.8 assists while shooting 47.1 percent from the field. He reinforced his strengths (shooting and scoring) but didn't eliminate questions about his ability to defend at the NBA level. Still, he'll probably be in an NBA training camp this fall."

  22. #22
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,496

    Default Re: Has Bender made it possible for me to dislike Ron Artest less???

    I just have to add... Jonathon Bender should thank God for Donnie Walsh every day of his life and should bend over backwards (I admit he could hurt himself doing it) to do what the Pacers ask of him.

    He is grossly overpaid and he cost this team a productive player who we could've used all this time or traded for someone more durable and productive than Bender. And he should also look at the players we could've taken at #5 instead and what many of them have accomplished.

    Walsh took a gamble on him and then compounded it with a nice extension and it looks like Walsh, the fans, and the organization are losers. Bender and his agent are the winners... That was a major roll of the dice and I don't know whether that was being loyal to a fault, overly optimistic, or refusing to admit a mistake and hoping for better things ahead but in any case I'm ready to see the Bender distraction come to an end.

    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  23. #23

    Default Re: Has Bender made it possible for me to dislike Ron Artest less???

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are you talking about Bender or Artest.

    Bender!
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  24. #24
    Fear my small avatar Gyron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    6,366

    Default Re: Has Bender made it possible for me to dislike Ron Artest less???

    I have a signed piece of Gym floor autographed by the one and only Jonathon Bender from his rookie season.......

    Now I'm feeling bad thinking maybe he might have hurt himself signing that piece of gym floor and I might be the cause of all of his lost "potential"......

    I guess from this day forth you can officially blame it all on me...

  25. #25
    Mjolnir Diamond Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Crawfordsville
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,175
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Has Bender made it possible for me to dislike Ron Artest less???

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You know what, for someone most of you have given up on long ago, Bender is sure getting a lot of discussion in this forum. I thought you gave up years ago. Why all of a sudden all the discussion.
    Because it became very apparent this season that roster spots are meant for those who can contribute.

    He has been uselessly filling a roster spot for years.
    House Name: Pacers

    House Sigil:



    House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •