Thread: Van gundy to remain Heat coach

Default Van gundy to remain Heat coach

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...07/1004/SPORTS

A 31/2-hour summit between Stan Van Gundy and Miami Heat president Pat Riley apparently has brought closure to the team's monthlong coaching soap opera.

"He assured me that I would be coaching the Miami Heat this coming season," Van Gundy said Monday. "There were no stipulations attached."

Default Re: Van gundy to remain Heat coach

I'm shocked! Shocked, I tell you!

Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

But if there is firm support for SVG why the 3 1/2 hour meeting? My God we could watch the extended version of Apocalypse Now in that interval, still not a situation with a lot of equilibrium IMO.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The question is, why did it take Riley so long to do this? Methinks he was indeed pondering taking over, then ultimately decided it would be a tremendous hit to his rep if he did.

If SVG doesn't at least make the Finals this season, however, look for Riley to be on the bench next year. Possibly earlier if the Heat come out of the gates slowly.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

I can only imagine the flying accusations and screaming that happened in that room. 3.5 hours??? I'd rather get a root canal than sit through that.

Of course, they'll likely come out and say that it took a while because they were discussing golf of the heat girls or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The question is, why did it take Riley so long to do this? Methinks he was indeed pondering taking over, then ultimately decided it would be a tremendous hit to his rep if he did.

If SVG doesn't at least make the Finals this season, however, look for Riley to be on the bench next year. Possibly earlier if the Heat come out of the gates slowly.
    I think you're right on here Icy Manipulator, and why have you switched your avatar, did the previous one insufficiently display the degree to which you can icily manipulate?

foretaz

i think riley waited till the brown news was released.....i mean he did talk to the lakers last year....

this way he can be courted by davidson

if the pistons brass was smart, they would pounce on rileys ego and desire to coach again and go after riley....can u imagine riley coaching those pistons players? that would worry me...

that being said...the pistons brass has proven theyre not the sharpest tool in the shed-especially when it comes to coaching decisions....therefore they will hire flip....

and i have much fewer worries where the pistons are concerned, as a result...

On a relatively related topic, what have the Heat done this postseason to get better? I see people who say the Pacers won't be winning the title because they have basically the same team as last season, but they have made more improvements (added Ron and Danny) than the Heat (re-signed Haslem, probably will re-sign Shaq for a boatload of $$$, might lose Damon Jones), Pistons (lost Brown, added Flip), or Spurs (have stood pat so far). The Suns are also on the verge of losing JJ, while Curry may bolt the Bulls for Atlanta, so those two teams may downgrade as well.

Quote Originally Posted by McClintic Sphere
    I think you're right on here Icy Manipulator, and why have you switched your avatar, did the previous one insufficiently display the degree to which you can icily manipulate?
    A new Icy Manipulator image was born, so I decided to upgrade.

Icy manipulation for the next generation.

foretaz

On a relatively related topic, what have the Heat done this postseason to get better? I see people who say the Pacers won't be winning the title because they have basically the same team as last season, but they have made more improvements (added Ron and Danny) than the Heat (re-signed Haslem, probably will re-sign Shaq for a boatload of $$$, might lose Damon Jones), Pistons (lost Brown, added Flip), or Spurs (have stood pat so far). The Suns are also on the verge of losing JJ, while Curry may bolt the Bulls for Atlanta, so those two teams may downgrade as well.
    actually the drafting of simien may work out pretty good for them....i think he will get quite a few minutes at the backup 4....

also....i would be semi shocked if the heat dont end up with one of the amnesty casualties....the opportunity to play with shaq, compete for a title, and live in the miami area is about as good as it gets...

But if there is firm support for SVG why the 3 1/2 hour meeting? My God we could watch the extended version of Apocalypse Now in that interval, still not a situation with a lot of equilibrium IMO.
    Well, I look at it this way. We all spent 8 hours talking basketball on Saturday, and we don't know jack about the NBA, comparatively speaking. They could have easily spent that long talking about how Pat can be more involved without infringing on Stan's athority as HC.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

They met at Riley's house, so I wouldn't imagine there was any yelling, more like back slapping and ice clinking in scotch glasses, maybe assurances, certainly explanations, from Riley as well. SVG still has 2 years left and I don't think he has to serve on the bench if Riley decides to replace him, i.e. they have to pay him as head coach for 2 years.

Riley it appears would like to be more involved with the team and may even have considered coaching the Heat earlier in the month, but I like fortaz's take on the availability of PR for the pisston job, although it does look like Flip has the inside track. The waiting to have this meeting and the timing of it are suspect.

OTOH, SVG didn't get his contract extended either, although that's usually something that happens with one year remaining. I'll bet he's not the coach in 2006-07 unless the Heat take the EC.

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    Well, I look at it this way. We all spent 8 hours talking basketball on Saturday, and we don't know jack about the NBA, comparatively speaking. They could have easily spent that long talking about how Pat can be more involved without infringing on Stan's athority as HC.
    Blasphemy! The brainpower inside that Pizza King Sat.night was astounding. Given sufficient time we could have cleaned up not only the NBA, but many of the world's problems.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Blasphemy! The brainpower inside that Pizza King Sat.night was astounding. Given sufficient time we could have cleaned up not only the NBA, but many of the world's problems.

But if I were there it would have resulted in the fall of western civilization.

Shade, Forget what the other teams did. I think we are discounting that we do not have Reggie Miller the teammate anymore. I think Reggie had a lot to do with the season that we had post brawl. He was the glue. Right now we have lots of basketball talent but a bunch of hotheads, with some of them constantly whining to the refrees. I am not quite confident how or whether they will gel together. It is good to have Ron back but Danny? He is just a rookie.

woman without a team

On a relatively related topic, what have the Heat done this postseason to get better?
    Shaq and D. Wade have promised not to get hurt. That's the only improvement I see them needing.

Quote Originally Posted by foretaz
    i think riley waited till the brown news was released.....i mean he did talk to the lakers last year....

this way he can be courted by davidson

if the pistons brass was smart, they would pounce on rileys ego and desire to coach again and go after riley....can u imagine riley coaching those pistons players? that would worry me...

[Kstat]Flip Saunders is a better coach at this point in time than Pat Riley. I'm very excited that Flip will be coaching the Pistons and we should be favorites to win it all. I appreciate what Larry did for us but it was time to move on and you're going to see Flip take this team to the next level. Larry had maxed out the team with his style but Flip can get more out of them. [/Kstat]

After the press leaks word of Riley as a front runner for the Pistons...

[Kstat]When a coach of Riley's caliber makes himself available you have to listen. He's the perfect coach for the Pistons. His record speaks for itself and we would have a style of play that is 'take no prisoners'. I'm stoked to think we could get Pat Riley. Keep in mind Larry had a track record when he got here, unlike Carlisle, but he didn't have championship credentials like Riley. This clearly makes us favorites to win it all next season [/Kstat]

After being called out on his 180deg turn...

[Kstat]I never said Flip was better than Riley. Show me where I said that! Pat Riley is a coaching legend and far from washed up. Riley over anyone is an upgrade. Flip is good and would've been a nice upgrade at this point but not over Pat Riley. I'm sorry Pacer fans have to live with a coach we tossed aside on our championship marches but you need to talk to Donnie and Larry about that. I mean for a small market team like Indy with its quaint arena and limited support Carlisle should be fine for you but here in the big leagues where championships are what matter you have to go after the big fish. No doubt we are now favorites to win it all again next season. [/Kstat]

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    [Kstat]Flip Saunders is a better coach at this point in time than Pat Riley. I'm very excited that Flip will be coaching the Pistons and we should be favorites to win it all. I appreciate what Larry did for us but it was time to move on and you're going to see Flip take this team to the next level. Larry had maxed out the team with his style but Flip can get more out of them. [/Kstat]

[Kstat]When a coach of Riley's caliber makes himself available you have to listen. He's the perfect coach for the Pistons. His record speaks for itself and we would have a style of play that is 'take no prisoners'. I'm stoked to think we could get Pat Riley. Keep in mind Larry had a track record when he got here, unlike Carlisle, but he didn't have championship credentials like Riley. This clearly makes us favorites to win it all next season [/Kstat]

[Kstat]I never said Flip was better than Riley. Show me where I said that! Pat Riley is a coaching legend and far from washed up. Riley over anyone is an upgrade. Flip is good and would've been a nice upgrade at this point but not over Pat Riley. I'm sorry Pacer fans have to live with a coach we tossed aside on our championship marches but you need to talk to Donnie and Larry about that. I mean for a small market team like Indy with its quaint arena and limited support Carlisle should be fine for you but here in the big leagues where championships are what matter you have to go after the big fish. No doubt we are favorites to win it all again next season. [/Kstat]

-Bball

Quote Originally Posted by Bball

[Kstat]I never said Flip was better than Riley. Show me where I said that! Pat Riley is a coaching legend and far from washed up. Riley over anyone is an upgrade. Flip is good and would've been a nice upgrade at this point but not over Pat Riley. I'm sorry Pacer fans have to live with a coach we tossed aside on our championship marches but you need to talk to Donnie and Larry about that. I mean for a small market team like Indy with its quaint arena and limited support Carlisle should be fine for you but here in the big leagues where championships are what matter you have to go after the big fish. No doubt we are now favorites to win it all again next season. [/Kstat]

-Bball
    Um, you nailed that one dude. The rolling rationalizations are written in perfect Kstat-ese.