Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pistons second rounders in summer league... doh

Default Pistons second rounders in summer league... doh

"Detroit appears to have made out like bandits by picking up two keepers -- athletic high schooler Amir Johnson and versatile, talented wing guard Alex Acker -- with the 56th and last pick of the draft. Although Johnson is raw as hell and was typically overmatched on the boards and in the skills department, he showed the ability to score very effeciently against bigger, taller and older competition -- mostly by dunking the ball in his opponents' faces. Since Amir has all the physical tools, don't be surprised if he emerges as a force after a couple years of D-league seasoning. Meanwhile, Acker's great overall play clearly put him in the top 10 rookies at the Vegas Summer league, regardless of round. His play almost certainly secured him a spot on Detroit's opening day roster next season. When you add Maxiell to the mix, it looks like nobody drafted better from a worse position than the Pistons."

W's fan Vegas report

foretaz

Default Re: Pistons second rounders in summer league... doh

but the best comment of all came from the commentators on nba tv doing the game.....

they said they fully expected johnson to get meaningful nba minutes before darko.....then....to make sure he drove home the point he said....some of u may think im joking, but im serious....this guy looks closer to being ready than darko...

the kid looked very raw....

darko looks like brown has seriously ruined him for a good long while by not playing him....you can see theres something there....but he looks rustier than a bucket of screws at the bottom of a lake...he and kaman took turns trying to school one another....and truthfully neither one looks like an nba center...

maxiell doesnt look bad...however it remains to be seen when he actually plays some guys closer to his size that have any ability....get the feeling he might not look so effective....however, at least give him credit for being able to take advantage of his advantage....unlike the darko one...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

From what I've seen, Maxiell is a mortal lock to make the team, and Acker is probably %75 likely.

Maxiell is a guy that flat-out plays 6 inches taller than he is. With his arms, he may as well be 6'10." You don't block shots with your head. He reminds me a lot of Horace Grant, which surprised me, because I never saw him shoot at Cincinnati. He's really come out of nowhere with all these 15-footers.

Acker is another Reggie Miller deciple, like Rip Hamilton. He's not as tall as rip, but he's got better range, and his long wingspan makes him a tough defender. I really want to see how he does in training camp.

It also should be noted that Acker grew up (according to him) a HUGE Pacers fan in Compton, Because of Reggie Miller. He said that he patterned his game after Reggie, catching and shooting off screens. Then again, his role model was fellow Compton native Tayshaun Prince, so it all evens out.

Amir is definately NBDL material. He's got a body not unlike Jermaine O'Neal at the same age, but he has a jumper that could scare small children. He needs to get to the minors for 1-2 years and refine his skills, because athletically, he really does have a lot of natural gifts, including a nose for the ball, and very soft hands. He certainly knows how to finish underneath the rim, but he's clueless outside of the basket. I'm actually very happy I got a chance to see this kid play, because I don't anticipate seeing him play again until next summer.

Darko just needs some confidence. Maybe that's something that he'll NEVER get back, but then again, maybe it isn't. I do know this: he needs to get somewhat of a longer leash. He's not going to improve if he thinks any little mistake will get him a month off.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Yeh, like PLENTY of guys haven't looked like keepers in summer ball!

foretaz

k, i am curious about one thing.....as ive watched the pistons a bit as ive mentioned in their summer league games....

what are ur thoughts on delfino??????

to me...hes even a bigger story than darko...and it aint a good story....for someone that appeared to have a bit of an attitude problem....he seems to me to only be solidifying that belief.....he seems to be playing like he simply doesnt care and doesnt want to be there...almost like hes too good to be there.....

ur thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by foretaz
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    k, i am curious about one thing.....as ive watched the pistons a bit as ive mentioned in their summer league games....

what are ur thoughts on delfino??????

to me...hes even a bigger story than darko...and it aint a good story....for someone that appeared to have a bit of an attitude problem....he seems to me to only be solidifying that belief.....he seems to be playing like he simply doesnt care and doesnt want to be there...almost like hes too good to be there.....

ur thoughts?

First of all, Delfino has nothing to prove in a summer league, as far as I'm concerned. He's proven to me that he's a legit NBA player. And yes, I think that he was too good to be in summer league. If Joe wasn't so lacking in quality passers for that team, I doubt Carlos would have been told to go.

To clarify, Carlos wasn't not trying, he was just being a passer. He spent most of the league getting his teamates involved, which is Delfino's main strength to begin with.

He wasn't healthy at any point last season. And still, he showed flashes of a very productive player off the bench.

Pretty much the entire Argentine team, Manu included, has said that Delfino was the most talented player on that team. They've also done a good job about telling him that he needs to grow up a bit more.

I think the biggest question mark on Delfino is his health, not his attitude or his talent. He's got an ego, I won't deny that. But he's also a very explosive player in transition.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

BabbleOn

Wow, I'm coming into this subject a little late, but I can't help it. Kstat isn't speaking for a growing number of Piston fans. Delfino is painfully disappointing and he doesn't deserve to have excuses made for him. He gets paid to play for one of the best franchises in all of sports, and yet he whines to the foreign media about his coach and he shows up to the summer league flabby and disinterested. Little baby is in constant fear that his knee isn't right. He's done nothing to draw the support of any Detroit fan, and I think many of us are fine if he never wears a Piston jersey ever again (which seems likely).

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by BabbleOn
    Wow, I'm coming into this subject a little late, but I can't help it. Kstat isn't speaking for a growing number of Piston fans. Delfino is painfully disappointing and he doesn't deserve to have excuses made for him. He gets paid to play for one of the best franchises in all of sports, and yet he whines to the foreign media about his coach and he shows up to the summer league flabby and disinterested. Little baby is in constant fear that his knee isn't right. He's done nothing to draw the support of any Detroit fan, and I think many of us are fine if he never wears a Piston jersey ever again (which seems likely).
    i know if i was a pistons fan (which thankfully im not), i would be very disappointed in what i saw at the summer league....

and it has less to do with his production and i dare say more to do with his body language and the like....if i didnt know any better i would swear he utterly despises being there....

For all I care they can keep all these guys. They were retarded with their picks. They needed swingmen, not big men. Their stupidity is our gain.

I'm all for Maxiell stealing some of Darko's minutes next year. Maxiell's ceiling is about as high as a dollhouse. =/
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by Destined4Greatness
    For all I care they can keep all these guys. They were retarded with their picks. They needed swingmen, not big men. Their stupidity is our gain.
    What exactly would you call Alex Acker?

You aren't terribly bright, are you?

See, there's this thing, called FREE AGENCY, and we can pick up GOOD swingmen, as opposed to the swingmen that were available to us in the draft....

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've watched some of the summer league action on NBA tv.Jason Maxiell has looked good as he always has against guys he can over power, but he's still not playing against quality nba players. He is an animal and fits the Piston persona, has a decent 15 footer and goes to the boards, we will know more about how he fits come regular exhibition season . Whether he has long arms or not he's still less than 6'7 and most NBA players expecially power forwards also have long arms.

Alex Acker , has looked good against borderline nba talent too . Again height as a sg will be his biggest problem he's about 6'4 1/2. But drafted at #60 he was a great choice. The kid may well have an NBA future.

I'll be in the minority potentially Amir Johnson could be the best of the 3. But Amir's game is a work in progress , he has superior athletic ability and has been able to get away with that more than developing a complete game. The NBDL is perfect for him , he can improve in 2 or3 years there then join the Pistons.

For where they drafted the Pistons had a good draft . But none of these picks scare me for the upcoming season.

Depending on who coaches the Pistons with Rasheed , Ben and Antonio up front will Maxiell even see serious minutes?? To me he's not a small forward , so I see his effectiveness limited.

Acker is as K says about 75% chance to even make the team and Johnson will be better served in the NBDL.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    What exactly would you call Alex Acker?

You aren't terribly bright, are you?

See, there's this thing, called FREE AGENCY, and we can pick up GOOD swingmen, as opposed to the swingmen that were available to us in the draft....
    I call him a second rounder. As in not on the team. You aren't terribly bright are you?

And exactly who have the pistons courted in FA. Nobody. Retarded. Too busy firing their coach to worry about the team.

I call him a second rounder. As in not on the team. You aren't terribly bright are you?

And exactly who have the pistons courted in FA. Nobody. Retarded. Too busy firing their coach to worry about the team.
    Called "amnesty," buddy.

They'll be able to go after Finley, Rose, Houston and Bonzi after july 22.

Or do you really think Joe Dumars has spent all of his time dealing with Brown? He's not that stupid.

As for Acker, you didn't answer my question. Is he a swingman? Yes. And he has just about as good a chance to get playing time as ANY swingman we could have drafted at #26. And we got Acker with the last pick in the draft. Seems like a damn good pick to me.

foretaz

Called "amnesty," buddy.

Or do you really think Joe Dumars has spent all of his time dealing with Brown? He's not that stupid.

As for Acker, you didn't answer my question. Is he a swingman? Yes. ANd he has just about as good a chance to get playing time as ANY swingman we could have drafted at #26. And we got Acker with the last pick in the draft. Seems like a damn good pick to me.

while i would be mildly surprised if they dont get houston or rose(if indeed rose is released, which i still have doubts about) odds are they wont be able to do so till august at best-with the moratorium likely pushed back....and even then, it remains to be seen just how quickly these amnest players are actually released....the teams might choose to hold off till as late as october to do so, as they have no real incentive to release them sooner than later....

now bonzi, they could go after early as he will likely be a free agent the way things are going....though some sort of trade with memphis still isnt out of the question....plus i dont think bonzi is their first choice, but who knows...

as for finley....i think that most reasonable folks would say thats a pipedream...

best bets would have him going back to phoenix with his buddy nash, whos already lobbying for him...even if that doesnt happen, it wouldnt appear likely that detroit would be at the top of his list...

they better hope for rose, bonzi, houston...in that order....though i cant help but think its gonna be houston in a detroit uniform next year...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Called "amnesty," buddy.

As for Acker, you didn't answer my question. Is he a swingman? Yes. And he has just about as good a chance to get playing time as ANY swingman we could have drafted at #26. And we got Acker with the last pick in the draft. Seems like a damn good pick to me.
    Barring Finley, not a single one of those players worries me. I can almost see Bonzi in Detroit already, though. The Pistons would go from Lakers East to Blazers East in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    Barring Finley, not a single one of those players worries me. I can almost see Bonzi in Detroit already, though. The Pistons would go from Lakers East to Blazers East in a hurry.
    Off the bench, any of those guys would be a quality 7th man/3rd guard.

None of those guys needs to START to be a valuable contributor to another finals run.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Off the bench, any of those guys would be a quality 7th man/3rd guard.

None of those guys needs to START to be a valuable contributor to another finals run.
    Then why are you sweating getting Bonzi so much?

I am sure you said the same thing about arroyo.

Trapt1307

You guys need to take off the blue and gold glasses...you talk like the Pacers are guarenteed to be the best team in the league or something. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Pistons just won back to back Eastern Conference Championships, not the Pacers.

Until the Pacers can prove that they can beat the Pistons in a seven game series, I'm not (and I can guarentee you that most if not all Pistons fans feel the same way) the least bit worried about them.

Now lets hear the injury excuses. You're team is just soft. That's all there is to it. If they haven't been able to stay healthy for the Pistons the last couple of years, what makes you think that they can this year?

Nobody is scared of the Pacers, like you all would love to believe. Hell, Heat fans don't even consider the Pacers a threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    Then why are you sweating getting Bonzi so much?
    His attitude, primarily. You can be a 12th man and still be a bad apple.

I am sure you said the same thing about arroyo.

Yeah, Arroyo sure sucked when he was kicking dust in AJ's face in games 4 and 5.......

He was easily the best reserve guard on either team in a few games that series.

Actually, out of all the players on the current Roster, I think it's Arroyo that's going to benefit most from Flip Saunders.

Quote Originally Posted by Trapt1307
    You guys need to take off the blue and gold glasses...you talk like the Pacers are guarenteed to be the best team in the league or something. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Pistons just won back to back Eastern Conference Championships, not the Pacers.

Until the Pacers can prove that they can beat the Pistons in a seven game series, I'm not (and I can guarentee you that most if not all Pistons fans feel the same way) the least bit worried about them.

Now lets hear the injury excuses. You're team is just soft. That's all there is to it. If they haven't been able to stay healthy for the Pistons the last couple of years, what makes you think that they can this year?

Nobody is scared of the Pacers, like you all would love to believe. Hell, Heat fans don't even consider the Pacers a threat.

Yeah....I'm going to step about 2 miles from this post right now....

Though I think that a lot of people here are a bit more worried about the health of the Pacers than they are willing to let on......

foretaz

Yeah, Arroyo sure sucked when he was kicking dust in AJ's face in games 4 and 5.......

He was easily the best reserve guard on either team in a few games that series.

Actually, out of all the players on the current Roster, I think it's Arroyo that's going to benefit most from Flip Saunders.

i know a certain guy named darko thats really hoping ur wrong...

sweabs

Quote Originally Posted by Trapt1307

Great way to introduce yourself around here!

That post has so many stupid things written within, I don't even know where to start. And I'm not going to waste my time.