View Poll Results: Was it a good move to hire I. Thomas as the head coach?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, and he should still be the coach.

2 5.00%
  • No, we should have hired Rick Carlise from the beginning.

24 60.00%
  • No, we should have hired Byron Scott.

5 12.50%
  • Yes because now we have Rick Carlise and it all has worked out fine.

9 22.50%

Thread: Looking back was I. Thomas the right coach for us?

Default Looking back was I. Thomas the right coach for us?

Looking back in 2000 I think it was when Larry Bird stepped down as head coach and the Pacers were strongly considering 3 possiable coaches, Thomas, Rick Carlise, and Byron Scott, was it the right move to hire I.Thomas at the time even though it doesn't look like it with Wins and Losses?

Default Re: Looking back was I. Thomas the right coach for us?

Not even really looking back, but just looking at the title of this thread: NO!
    Three years ago when we melted down in the playoffs against the Celtic's would not have happened under Carlisle IMO. Although, Isiah did have some qualities which seemed to inspire and educate Jermaine and who knows how much that played into him becoming an all-star caliber player? So I guess I did look back, and still didn't like Isiah as coach over Carlisle at any point.

foretaz

i love rick as the coach...and its very easy to say that based on what has happened he wouldve been the right choice.....

but i dont believe he was the right choice then....

larry the legend bird was being replaced.....we had just come off a finals appearance....naming rick just wouldnt cut it with the masses.....maybe the very few expert fans....but not the masses....given the teams changes and bird being gone, the team needed to make a hit.....you dont lose larry bird, dale davis, mark jackson, etc. and then name rick as coach....just wont work....byron scott probably wouldve been the best choice for all things, he probably wouldve lead the team to the most success, but isiah was the right choice because he was received the best by the fan base and jalen rose....right or wrong, the hiring of zeke was a pr move more than anything else....to try and make fans forget about alot of things that were changing.....

it was a great move by donnie...probably only exceeded by having bird come in and fire zeke....if donnie does it, it raises alot of questions...having bird do it was sheer genius....i still look back at those two times in the franchise history and just shake my head....those were two very, very delicate times....and donnie was simply magical in how he manipulated those two situations into homeruns...

oh...and btw....a few of the guys on here from the espn board could vouch for this.....i couldnt stand the thought of isiah being coach....though i knew he would be....i understood why he would be....but knew he was gonna be a disappointment....but i give donnie credit for doing what had to be done given the situation....i was only hopeful he would get rid of zeke much earlier, though im sure bird wasnt available till then

sweabs

At the time, we were a very young team and Isiah was a guy who related with the players very well, and took a lot of them under his wing. He was a "players-coach", and helped a lot of them in their development to where they are today.

At this point, a lot of these guys have matured and can thank Isiah for his help in that process. Now they are ready for a real coach in Carlisle - so I voted for the last option. It all worked out fine - we have Rick now.

Isiah was a gimmick hire and it backfired. He was expensive, in over his head, and he couldn't coach.

I'd be closest to answering to the first choice but that would be arguable. Give me a choice that says "Isiah was a bad hire" and no secondary options and that would be the one I choose.

Byron or Rick had good arguments for being more deserving. Byron had bench experience and ties to the Pacers and community. Rick had bench experience and ties to the team including was the option of departing coach (Bird) to continue what he'd done.

Isiah simply had the gimmicks going for him... NBA legend... Indiana (IU) star player...
    But NO coaching experience. The same type thing could be argued for Bird but for whatever reason (Bird chose wisely for assistants and leaned on them for one thing), Bird made it work. Isiah didn't.

-Bball
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

foretaz

isiah is the absolute perfect assistant coach....cept the he has an 'owners' ego

PacerNthaDesert

To say he couldn't coach might be a little over the top. He was faced with an inmature, inexperienced team and I believe he got a lot out of them. Thomas did a great job developing these guys in the short time he was here and personally I wish Isiah would have had a little more time here. Obviously we did alright getting Rick but his days will be numbered if things don't pick up in the post-season.

When I think back to Isiah's coaching the things that stick out, besides the end of season tailspins, is his woeful clock management and 'mad scientist' type rotations (both within games and from one game to the next). From top statistical player one game to DNP CD the next.

-Bball
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

PacerNthaDesert

He struggled a little bit but my real concern with him was everytime we lost a game our guys wanted to start fighting with the other team. This team was getting a horrible reputation there for awhile. I remember that New Jersey game well, I believe it was like the second game of the year and we just melted down. While is was pretty entertaining to watch, you knew it wasn't healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarey
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    At the time, we were a very young team and Isiah was a guy who related with the players very well, and took a lot of them under his wing. He was a "players-coach", and helped a lot of them in their development to where they are today.

At this point, a lot of these guys have matured and can thank Isiah for his help in that process. Now they are ready for a real coach in Carlisle - so I voted for the last option. It all worked out fine - we have Rick now.

Good point...

I also kinda feel like Isiah had no business being a head coach and that a couple of Reggie's last years were wasted by **** poor coaching. I'm glad we didn't hire Byron to coach...Even thought the Nets made two Finals in a row, I'm not that impressed with his coaching skills. I think it worked out just fine, but in hindsight it would've been nice to hire Carlisle and have Isiah consult. Not even sure I would've wanted him for an assistant under Carlisle....

I should caveat this whole statement with the fact that I don't like Isiah, never have, never will....

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

woman without a team

Where's the "yes he was but only because Scott Skiles took the Phoenix job" choice?

Yes, because everything worked out fine.

Rick was not ready to coach young-in's, and our veterans were sick of him. I fear for how JO and Tinsley would have reacted to Rick's heavy-handed approach. Rick himself needed to learn to mellow out, which his unceremonious ouster from Detroit taught him.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

I hated Isiah. I really belive that if Rick was the coach after Bird left, that Croshere wouldn't be the horrible player he is now. It seemed he never saw the light of day (along with Foster) when Isiah was here. He would do good one game, then never play the next.
    Sorry, I didn't know advertising was illegal here. Someone call the cops!

Now, who was it who said that nobody actually "hated" Isiah.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Lot of you won't agree but Isiah was a good hire for 3 or 4 years. He gave a lot of the young players a chance to play. Once these young players developed, then we needed a coach like Carlisle. So I think it worked out perfect.

I don't have proof but Carlisle would not have been successful with that young team. He would have been playing Sam perkins a lot, would have asked Donnie to keep Mckey, etc, etc.

Isiah just handed over the reigns to our young players (then) Jamal, Jermaine, Al.

He was very patient with them. He never would pull them out if they made couple of mistakes. It is not tangible but I think what Isiah did helped these players a lot to be the players that they have become.

However, he was very bad with time and clock management.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I would've prefered Byron, but since the choices were Rick and Isiah, then I was okay with the Isiah hiring decision.

I just think DW should've fired him much, much sooner. Once he proved just how bad he was, we should've changed gears - especially when JVG ( ) became available.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

"Yes, and he should still be the coach."

OK, who are the 2 people who voted for this?