Thread: Harrison enthused about his recovery

Default Harrison enthused about his recovery

Harrison enthused about his recovery
    Center feels comfortable in summer league play months after arthroscopic knee surgery.

By Mike Wells
    mike.wells@indystar.com

MINNEAPOLIS -- Indiana Pacers center David Harrison caught the ball in the post, looked over his shoulder to see how the defender was playing him, then made a quick move to the center of the lane for a jump shot.

On the next possession, Harrison, in the post again, turned toward the baseline and knocked down a 14-foot jumper.

To some, those two moves aren't anything to get excited about. But to Harrison, it's a sign of progress from a knee injury that cut his rookie season short.

"I'm feeling good," he said after the Pacers' 82-54 summer league victory over the Toronto Raptors on Saturday. "The thing now is, I actually have two good legs I can use."

Harrison, who played 43 games last season, injured his left knee in late February. He underwent season-ending arthroscopic surgery in early April.

Harrison was only recently cleared for full contact, but he still spent time in the weight room working out. Harrison said he hasn't dropped much weight, but rather he has toned up.

"It helps so much that my knee feels good and I'm able to lift without any problems," Harrison said.

Harrison has shown the ability to get off the ground quickly on both ends of the court. He received a technical foul in Friday's game against Houston for hanging on the rim after a two-handed dunk. Harrison has gone 8-of-9 from the field and blocked five shots through the first two games.

"David is one of these guys that's physically gifted," Pacers assistant coach Chuck Person said. "He brings a lot to the game with the ability to grind teams out and force double teams."

Pacers assistant coach Dan Burke said Harrison has to worry about staying out of foul trouble, especially on offense when trying to get position in the post.

"He can't get discouraged . . . when he picks up those fouls," Burke said. "I hope some of the guys realize how wide he can get in the post. He's strong, he gets wide and he gets low in the post."

Harrison said he's going to monitor his knee closely, as the Pacers are playing fives games in five days in the summer league. A healthy Harrison gives the Pacers added depth at center.

"I don't want anything to happen that sets me back," he said.

Artest struggles from field

A day after going 8-of-15 from the field, Pacers forward Ron Artest shot just 5-of-16 against the Raptors.

"It felt good, especially when I tried to make the shot," said Artest, who played his second game since returning from a suspension for his role in the Nov. 19 brawl at the Palace of Auburn Hills. He missed the final 73 regular-season games and the playoffs. "A couple of times, I took some lazy shots. For the most part, they were on line, with the exception of maybe one."

Artest, who finished with 16 points, had six rebounds and five assists. He turned the ball over five times for the second straight game.

"There's more to it than shooting the basketball," Person said. "He played with force and he shared the ball with his teammates. That's something we're going to have to stress all year long. It's all about the team and it's not about the individual."

Girl injured

A girl who wipes up wet spots off the floor during games injured her collarbone when Pacers forward Shelly Clark fell on her while diving to get a loose ball Saturday.

Team president Larry Bird, rookie Danny Granger and Artest were among Pacers representatives who visited the girl in the training room after the game. The girl was not hospitalized.

Call Star reporter Mike Wells at (317) 444-6053
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

foretaz

Default Re: Harrison enthused about his recovery

i wish mr. harrison would get a bit more excited about rebounding the basketball....

it used to drive me crazy that rik smits couldnt rebound the basketball....how a guy that large couldnt get more boards....

but harrison has far more athleticism and quickness....he simply doesnt have much of an excuse, IMHO....and while i understand him being able to block out will help others get boards, there is simply no way a guy that size, with that kind of athletic ability should not get more rebounds....

ive stated id really like to see him be the starting center....that being said, its imperative he improve his rebounding....its not like he doesnt have the ability....

Harrison is going to be an important player for next year. We have no one
    like him in regards to strength and being able to get position in the post.
    Once he gets the ball in the post he almost surely will score or go to the foul
    line where he is a good free throw shooter. He will be the back up center over
    Pollard. His weakness is rebounding and I believe he can do better. Shortish arms or not.

owl

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by foretaz
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    it used to drive me crazy that rik smits couldnt rebound the basketball....how a guy that large couldnt get more boards....
    I used to say that ALL THE TIME!!

I wish Foretaz would learn to post in a normal color and font.

More to the point, geez David was a rookie, give him a break. He has potential. FFS, he was not a lottery pick, and frankly he has a lot of potential. He plays with lots of energy, to much really he can foul out in 5 minutes if left alone. He has the potential to be a great role player,n enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by foretaz
    i wish mr. harrison would get a bit more excited about rebounding the basketball....

but harrison has far more athleticism and quickness....he simply doesnt have much of an excuse, IMHO....and while i understand him being able to block out will help others get boards, there is simply no way a guy that size, with that kind of athletic ability should not get more rebounds....

ive stated id really like to see him be the starting center....that being said, its imperative he improve his rebounding....its not like he doesnt have the ability....
    First, I'd just like to say the thing about Harrison helping the team rebound better is no joke. Last year, even though he was grabbing rebounds at a somewhat low percentage, our team's rebounding percentages still went up when he was on the floor.

Harrison will be fine when it comes to rebounding next year. He is the type of guy that boxes out very well, and will simply move the other teams best rebounder out of position. This is especially true when it comes to offensive rebounds, David is pretty good at sealing his man under the basket.

Harrison missed a lot of rebounds last year simply because they slipped right through his hands. He was catching the ball much better after his concussion, and will have a whole offseason to improve on that. I look for Harrison's rebounding numbers to go up this year.

You also have to remember that he has just recently been cleared for full contact, he is still getting his feel back for the game.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

In one of the articles on Harrison he made the comment he had not lost a lot
    of weight but that he was building his muscles. That is one thing I noticed
    last year is that he would hurt his shoulders easily. Mainly because that mass he had was not muscle but fat. If he strengthens those muscles in his shoulders and arms there should be very little that could hurt him there. He has the body
    type that could be incredibly strong.
    I am encouraged that he has not let himself go with the injury layoff.

owl

Doesn't he have smaller hands?
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness
    Doesn't he have smaller hands?
    Yup. Doesn't have a big wingspan, either.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!