Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kevin Durant shocked by OKC trade for Paul George: 'Indiana just gave him away'

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Default Kevin Durant shocked by OKC trade for Paul George: 'Indiana just gave him away'

My bad if this don't deserve its own thread
    (your bad is not mentioning the writer! by Colin Ward-Henninger)

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/k...gave-him-away/

Plenty of teams were in on the Paul George sweepstakes this summer: Cleveland, Boston, the Lakers ... but in the end it was the Oklahoma City Thunder coming out of nowhere to trade for the four-time All-Star.

Even more surprising than the team that got him was the package that they sent to the Indiana Pacers. In order to get George, the Thunder traded guard Victor Oladipo (who has a higher salary than George this season) and forward Domantas Sabonis, who averaged 5.9 points and 3.6 rebounds in 20 minutes per game as a rookie last season.
    Kevin Durant is quite familiar with Oklahoma City, and the Warriors forward appeared on "The Bill Simmons Podcast" to talk about the NBA offseason frenzy (the episode will be released Monday, but a partial transcript can be found on The Ringer). When it comes to George, it appears that Durant is just as confused as the rest of us.

"I think Paul George is so good. A lot of people disrespect him. Because I play against him and I respect my position," Durant said. "So that was shocking because Indiana just gave him away. And I ain't think OKC would even think about giving up anything to trade for him. I didn't think they would do it, but that was a ballsy move."
    NBA players tend to be defensive about other players in the league, so for Durant to say that the Pacers "just gave him away" is telling. He probably doesn't mean any disrespect to Oladipo or Sabonis, but he clearly feels that a player of George's ability was worth much more than those two guys.

In case you were wondering, the Warriors and Thunder meet for the first time on Nov. 22 in Oklahoma City. The OKC fans will surely boo Durant just as much as they did last season, but maybe this time -- thanks to George -- the Thunder will actually have a chance to win the game.
    4 Comments

fortyacres • 2 hours ago
    I agree JR. Advice to my fellow Longhorn: You are under no obligation to say everything you're thinking.

Joe Cabot fortyacres • an hour ago
    So he should go on a podcast and be silent?

JR Whitmore • 3 hours ago
    He talks too much nowadays. The quieter Durant was more mysterious, and likable.

Fourth Ring JR Whitmore • 2 hours ago
    The Adele of pro sports.
    Durant and Simmons predicted the Thunder's crunch time lineup of George, Russell Westbrook, Steven Adams, Andre Roberson along with either Alex Abrines or Doug McDermott to stretch the floor.
    Sittin on top of the world!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Default Re: Kevin Durant shocked by OKC trade for Paul George: 'Indiana just gave him away'

In order to determine whether the Pacers gave away PG13 or not.....we have to know what was the quality of the other trade offers.

It sounded like if we took the Cavs/Suns/Pacers trade...it would have been the #4 + Expiring for PG13.

Is #4 + Cap space > or < then Dipo + Sabonis?

But given that it was the Cavs/Gilbert that pulled out of that trade....I guess it doesn't matter.

I guess it will be how much you value the #4 pick.

Also....there was the Gary Harris + ???? for PG13 ( I forgot who else was included in that rumor ).
    Last edited by CableKC; 08-27-2017 at 07:03 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Kevin Durant shocked by OKC trade for Paul George: 'Indiana just gave him away'

Kevin is sure bored this offseason he seems to be in the headlines for so many things...

Ghost story about D. Rose, Why Kyrie wanted out, his comments about India, Manning dissing him at the ESPYs etc.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Durant: "Indiana just gave him away. And I ain't think OKC would even think about giving up anything to trade for him."

Am I missing something, or is this completely contradictory?
    "Look, it's up to me to put a team around ... Lance right now." —Kevin Pritchard press conference

8. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Durant: "Indiana just gave him away. And I ain't think OKC would even think about giving up anything to trade for him."

Bingo. WTF are you saying there KD? I suppose it's "ballsy" for OKC since PG has only one more year on the contract. But, even if you accept that interpretation, then it's not that we gave him away because that very condition of PG's contract situation - not to mention his going public saying no way did he intend to re-sign here - took any leverage we had away. Whatever we were getting from PG clearly was going to be pennies on the dollar.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

10. The Following User Says Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post

That jumped out at me too. And who the hell "disrespects" PG? Durant says some weird stuff.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yes. The Pacers should have waited until they lost him for nothing. We don't want to be known around the league as the team that gives players away...
    Edit Signature

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Natston For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Natston View Post
    Yes. The Pacers should have waited until they lost him for nothing. We don't want to be known around the league as the team that gives players away...
    Yeah, I mean, they obviously didn't have time to wait. When they made the trade, they were down to a mere 224 days before they'd lose him for nothing.

The trade was bad. It was rushed. It was unnecessary. People need to stop trying to rationalize it.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LongTimePacerFan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Where is this magical trade market where Indiana was supposed to get more for Paul George? The media try to make it sound like Indiana could have gotten an all-star for Paul George.

Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Durant isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    That jumped out at me too. And who the hell "disrespects" PG? Durant says some weird stuff.
    He has defended him randomly on Twitter a few times as well.
    I do think Durant says really off the wall things, but I do like that he's the star that says at least a lot of what he thinks. I end up disagreeing with him often enough, but it's entertaining a bit.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ichi For This Useful Post:

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Two things can be true...Durant is a talkative guy and also the Pacers did probably worse than just giving him away by taking on just as huge of contract for a much much lesser player.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cactus Jax For This Useful Post:

Durant was raving in an interview a few weeks ago about how great it is that the players (by this I assume he means star players) control the league and can essentially determine where they play. Then, after a player makes it public that he wants traded, he takes a franchise to task for not getting an optimal return. That's pretty rich.

26. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I still cant believe that not only did we trade him for a lesser player but for MORE salary. If the Celts were offering anything close to what they gave the Cavs its even worse. The whole thing makes me sick.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ragnar For This Useful Post:

Undefeated

We'll see. The one thing that has become apparent this offseason is that Durant is a much more likable guy when his mouth is shut
    Danger Zone

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rogco For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    I still cant believe that not only did we trade him for a lesser player but for MORE salary. If the Celts were offering anything close to what they gave the Cavs its even worse. The whole thing makes me sick.
    I still feel sick to my stomach when i think about this trade
    Impossible Is Nothing

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Romsey31 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Let's file this in the "who cares!?" category. A team's former player commenting on the team's decision to trade two guys he never played with for another guy who would've walked away from his own team the same way the first player did - it's worth about as much what OKC got for Durant, which is NOTHING.

Unless KD was in on the negotiations with Pritchard, it's safe to say he has no idea what he's talking about. I agree with one of the comments - KD was a lot more likeable when he didn't talk so much.
    It's a new day for Pacers Basketball.

34. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:

Frankly, i think durant's an idiot.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to clownskull For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    I don't think you fully appreciate just how bad of a position the Pacers were forced into.

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Hell of a world where we believe Kevin Durant about what was on the table vs. Kevin Pritchard.
    BillS

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
    Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...

40. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

I don't think you fully appreciate just how bad of a position the Pacers were forced into.
    Exactly. I think there are a lot on this board that don't fully grasp the situation we were put in and no one on this board knows what options were available for Pritchard.

42. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sav For This Useful Post:

Mood

Side note, kevin durant calling PG 'so good' is honestly some high praise.
    Lifelong pacers fan

44. The Following User Says Thank You to pacers_heath For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by sav View Post
    Exactly. I think there are a lot on this board that don't fully grasp the situation we were put in and no one on this board knows what options were available for Pritchard.
    I agree. I can honestly say that I thought the LA draft night trade was as good as it was going to get at the time. The fact the Indiana had the option of two descent trades still blows my mind. Personally, I don't think anything was going to happen with the Cavs or Celtics. KP was looking towards the future, so he probably didn't want to build a Superteam in Cleveland. I think the Celtics were trying to stall Indiana into a low ball offer.

Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

46. The Following User Says Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

I agree.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

48. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vnzla81 For This Useful Post:

Thank you, Kevbo, for providing one more snippet of bulletin board material for Dipo and Sabonis.

50. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phree Refill For This Useful Post: