Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pacers to sign 6'8 Chinese point guard Jian Zhang Yi?

Default Pacers to sign 6'8 Chinese point guard Jian Zhang Yi?

China Sports has learned that one of China's top basketball players Jian Zhang Yi is headed for a try out with the Indiana Pacers. Zhang Yi is a 6'8 point guard under contract the last 6 years to the Beijing Golden Tigers.

Zhang Yi was born in Beijing in 1983. When he was still a child, he showed great interest in basketball. He was also the tallest kid in his age group and when he was seven, he was sent by his father to a professional training school. In 1997, at the age of 14, he was selected by the Army to play on the youth team, however due to thyroid problems he was hospitalized. A year later he was signed by the Beijing Golden Tigers

Between 1998 to 2004, inspired by Zhang Yi, the Golden Tigers secured all the championships in a row in the Beijing basketball league, known as BBA here. Zhang Yi sat out the 2004-2005 season because of a broken leg.

In the 2003-04 BBA (Beijing Basketball Association) season, Zhang Yi led the league in assists 13.5, and steals 5.3, and ranked 4th in scoring (22.4 ppg).

He was even more dominant in the championship series, where he led the Tigers to a 3-1 victory over the Sharks, earning the Tigers sixth straight BBA championship.

In that four-game series, he averaged 21.3 points, 11.4 assists, 5.8 rebounds, 4.3 blocks, and 3.4 steals.

In the clinching 128-122 victory, Zhang Yi recorded 34 points, 11 rebounds, 14 assists, 6 steals, and 5 blocked shots.

For the playoffs, he averaged 18.9 points, 10.2 rebounds and 13.8 assists.

http://www.chinasports/go/tch/adigestpa/rty.com/
    -----

BeastoftheEast

Default Re: Pacers to sign 6'8 Chinese point guard Jian Zhang Yi?

6'8 PG WTF

Why cant we just sign a PG who has played in the NBA and proven him self here. But if we sign this dude it better not me for more then a mil or 2.

Interesting... I wonder if his game will translate to the US... I don't think he played in the Olympics last year...

sweabs

I guess we've given up hope on Saras

Sounds like he might have some injury/health problems. Also, talk about inflated stats!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yi haw.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I like the 13.5 assists per game!

PacerNthaDesert

Were too cheap to sign a real PG, you can steal these foreign players for next to nothing. It's no different than companies in America who only hire hispanic workers because they can get them cheaper, its sad the Pacers are going to this method of madness too.

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by PacerNthaDesert
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Were too cheap to sign a real PG, you can steal these foreign players for next to nothing. It's no different than companies in America who only hire hispanic workers because they can get them cheaper, its sad the Pacers are going to this method of madness too.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Qing ni...Wo hue shuo Zhonguahua bu hen hao. Wo hen ben.

Can I get some courtside tix?
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

PacerNthaDesert

It's true, there's no other way to slice it. This chinese fella plays against ZERO competition. That's probably why he's been putting up these great stats and no NBA team is interested. I guess Pacer management must be bored if they are willing to sign this clown.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

It's true, there's no other way to slice it. This chinese fella plays against ZERO competition. That's probably why he's been putting up these great stats and no NBA team is interested. I guess Pacer management must be bored if they are willing to sign this clown.
    Tell it to Yao................

or it could be total misdirection on the P's brass part.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

PacerNthaDesert

Yao is the greatest thing China has ever sent here and he isn't even that good of an NBA player. Plus I thought the Pacers were a defensive team? Jian wouldn't know defense if it bit him in the ***.

"In the clinching 128-122 victory, Zhang Yi recorded 34 points, 11 rebounds, 14 assists, 6 steals, and 5 blocked shots. "

I picture that game looking like the Rookie vs Sophomore game except the players have FAR less talent.

In all fairness, Yao was putting up Wilt Chamberlain numbers in China.

Also, judging by what I saw of team China last year, there is a very big talent gap between Yao and his countrymen.

Also, the next quality Chinese guard I see will be the first.

Then again, Yi could be the second coming of Oscar Robertson. Who knows? I haven't seen him play.

One thing I do know is I could probably walk to the park right now, pick up 11 random players and we could probably compete in the chinese league. It's that freaking bad.

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Anthony Johnson could put up 30, 15 and 4 blocks per game over there, with some 50-point games thrown in if he ever decided to get serious.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

PacerNthaDesert

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    In all fairness, Yao was putting up Wilt Chamberlain numbers in China.

Tayshawn Prince would put up Chamberlain numbers in China

Tayshawn Prince would put up Chamberlain numbers in China
    I think you and I could put up Jordan-Pippen numbers.

PacerNthaDesert

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    I think you and I could put up Jordan-Pippen numbers.

It seriously wouldn't take much. I'd feel pretty confident that me, kstat, Marcus Fizer, Carlos Delfino, and Kenny Anderson could how our own in a China professional basketball league. Throw in Chris Anderson as our Center and were world champs.

foretaz

Yao is the greatest thing China has ever sent here and he isn't even that good of an NBA player. Plus I thought the Pacers were a defensive team? Jian wouldn't know defense if it bit him in the ***.

"In the clinching 128-122 victory, Zhang Yi recorded 34 points, 11 rebounds, 14 assists, 6 steals, and 5 blocked shots. "

I picture that game looking like the Rookie vs Sophomore game except the players have FAR less talent.
    sounds like u belong in the scouting department of an nba team....especially since u know how this kid plays defense....and have the assessment of yao that u do...an nba team would obviously value ur knowledge and input....detroit probably could use a good scout...

tell me again....just how many times have u seen the kid play???

It seriously wouldn't take much. I'd feel pretty confident that me, kstat, Marcus Fizer, Carlos Delfino, and Kenny Anderson could how our own in a China professional basketball league.

Agreed. But Darko still rides the bench.

PacerNthaDesert

Quote Originally Posted by foretaz
    sounds like u belong in the scouting department of an nba team....especially since u know how this kid plays defense....and have the assessment of yao that u do...an nba team would obviously value ur knowledge and input....detroit probably could use a good scout...

tell me again....just how many times have u seen the kid play???

I probably could be a scout, I've seen lots of basketball in lots of countries, including China.

I've never seen this guy play and I don't have to. Basketball in China is just bad, really bad. Do you honestly think this guy is going to beat out Tinsley or AJ for any minutes on this team? I would bet my left nut he doesn't.

I probably could be a scout, I've seen lots of basketball in lots of countries, including China.

I've never seen this guy play and I don't have to. Basketball in China is just bad, really bad. Do you honestly think this guy is going to beat out Tinsley or AJ for any minutes on this team? I would bet my left nut he doesn't.
    The sad thing is, China is still king of Asian basketball.

Korea is still letting its prime minister draw up plays and workout routines....

foretaz

well at least it probably wouldnt cost us 20 million like a certain number 2 draft pick is costing one of our division rivals....and he certainly couldnt be any bigger bust than that guy...

is there any doubt that anthony johnson would put up better numbers against the chinese national team than a certain number 2 draft pick that cant even compete in the summer league????

im tellin ya paceraz....you could get a job as a scout if u dont mind ur check coming from michigan...

foretaz

do u think they would bring him in to do that? odds are he might be invited to training camp....and if really lucky steals the 3rd pg slot...

that being said...aj most likely wont be around...so that point will be moot...

PacerNthaDesert

that being said...aj most likely wont be around...so that point will be moot...

Well, that may be the case but until he's not around, this is a pointless signing for the Pacers. I'm not sure what you meant by "if you don't mind having your check coming from Michigan" comment?

Well, that may be the case but until he's not around, this is a pointless signing for the Pacers. I'm not sure what you meant by "if you don't mind having your check coming from Michigan" comment?
    Because everyone that disagrees with him is a Piston-loving communist.