Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Coach pays a player to hurt handicapped child

  1. #1
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Coach pays a player to hurt handicapped child

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050715/...ng_player_hurt

    PITTSBURGH - A T-ball coach allegedly paid one of his players $25 to hurt an 8-year-old mentally disabled teammate so he wouldn't have to put the boy in the game, police said Friday.

    Mark R. Downs Jr., 27, of Dunbar, is accused of offering one of his players the money to hit the boy in the head with a baseball, police said. Witnesses told police Downs didn't want the boy to play in the game because of his disability.

    Police said the boy was hit in the head and in the groin with a baseball just before a game, and didn't play, police said.

    "The coach was very competitive," state police Trooper Thomas B. Broadwater said. "He wanted to win."

    Downs has an unpublished telephone number and couldn't immediately be reached for comment Friday. It was unclear whether he had an attorney.

    He was arrested and arraigned Friday on charges including criminal solicitation to commit aggravated assault and corruption of minors. He was released from jail on an unsecured bond.

    The alleged assault happened June 27 in North Union Township, about 40 miles southeast of Pittsburgh, authorities said.

    The boy's mother asked state police to investigate her son's injuries because she suspected Downs wanted to keep the boy off the field, despite a league rule that required each player to participate in three innings a game, Broadwater said.

    Eric Forsythe, the president of the R.W. Clark Youth Baseball League, said Downs had two daughters on the T-ball team.

    League organizers investigated accusations against Downs before the T-ball season ended earlier this month but could not prove that he did anything wrong. If Downs is convicted of any crime, he won't be allowed to be a coach next year, Forsythe said. The league is not affiliated with Little League International.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  2. #2
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,804

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Coach pays a player to hurt handicapped child

    There are some sick people in this world. Someone should hit HIM in the head with a baseball. Repeatedly.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Anderson, IN
    Age
    44
    Posts
    249

    Default Re: Coach pays a player to hurt handicapped child

    This is just sad... very sad

  4. #4
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,985

    Default Re: Coach pays a player to hurt handicapped child

    That is truly unbelievable

  5. #5
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,968

    Default Re: Coach pays a player to hurt handicapped child

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There are some sick people in this world. Someone should hit HIM in the head with a baseball. Repeatedly.
    Yeah, like Randy Johnson.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  6. #6
    Member Isaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    26
    Posts
    3,151

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Coach pays a player to hurt handicapped child

    That's ridiculous.

  7. #7
    Harmonica
    Guest

    Default Re: Coach pays a player to hurt handicapped child

    Well, did they win the game?!

  8. #8

    Default Re: Coach pays a player to hurt handicapped child

    Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, did they win the game?!

    Haha, yeah I guess if they didn't that would be a waste of $25 bucks and a few years in the pen.
    Life without water is tough, life without air is hard,life with one leg only is wobbly, Life without Reggie Miller, is impossible.

    Do Not Trade Austin

    Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Brunner
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Veteran Austin Croshere, the longest-tenured Pacers player on the roster, has proven reliable when called upon, invariably ready to step in regardless of the circumstance.

  9. #9
    IMPD Officer MarionDeputy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Age
    40
    Posts
    337

    Default Re: Coach pays a player to hurt handicapped child

    I once had to break up a fight of two women fighting at a 6 year olds soccer game. This kind of stuff is truly disturbing.
    "I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post."

    --Jack Nicholson as Colonel Nathan Jessup in A Few Good Men

  10. #10
    Member Pacers#1Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Age
    25
    Posts
    3,781

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Coach pays a player to hurt handicapped child

    That is sick!

  11. #11
    Member denyfizle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Nap Town
    Posts
    1,409
    Mood

    Default Re: Coach pays a player to hurt handicapped child

    death penalty!

  12. #12
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Coach pays a player to hurt handicapped child

    Someone should cut his nuts off.

  13. #13
    sweabs
    Guest

    Default Re: Coach pays a player to hurt handicapped child

    Hmm...if we're suggesting torcher methods, I thought of this wild one!

    We should give him a cold, so that his nose is plugged! That way, we can tape/keep his mouth shut and force him to breathe through his plugged nose!

    MUHAHAHAHA.

  14. #14
    Junior Member The Toxic Avenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Age
    29
    Posts
    3,389

    Default Re: Coach pays a player to hurt handicapped child

    I agree with everyone...

    http://www.boston.com/news/nation/ar...r_hurt_player/

    This is a look at the story a little later... Its more detailed. The child must not be as handicapped As i thought because he testified in the trial. His mother said he is Autistic, and has Paraxia? He said he was hit in the groin and the EAR... but couldn't identify the coach in the courtroom of 27 even when asked 3 times.

    The little League said that IF the coach is convicted then he won't be able to come back and coach but for now he is still coaching the same team, including his twin daughters, and will coach next year.

  15. #15
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    9,024

    Default Re: Coach pays a player to hurt handicapped child

    I wouldn't want that chap ANYWHERE NEAR the team my kids (IF I had them ) would be playing in.

    That guy is a sick individual who should step away from training or coaching KIDS.

    Regards,

    Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  16. #16
    Pacerman157
    Guest

    Default Re: Coach pays a player to hurt handicapped child

    and i thought my coach was too competitive

  17. #17
    Member Pacers#1Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Age
    25
    Posts
    3,781

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Coach pays a player to hurt handicapped child

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cox
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Someone should cut his nuts off.
    OUCH!!! That would teach him.

  18. #18
    teY dennaB toN
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,606

    Default Re: Coach pays a player to hurt handicapped child

    I wonder if the coach was this guy?


  19. #19
    Member jax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Charleston
    Age
    34
    Posts
    52

    Default Re: Coach pays a player to hurt handicapped child

    An enemy deserves NO Mercy!
    This quite possibly the most pathetic thing I have ever heard of.

  20. #20
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Coach pays a player to hurt handicapped child

    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wonder if the coach was this guy?

    Ha!

  21. #21
    Member Just's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Butler University
    Age
    26
    Posts
    248

    Default Re: Coach pays a player to hurt handicapped child

    I had to look this back up for something I'm researching.

    Truly sick.


  22. #22
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,632

    Default Re: Coach pays a player to hurt handicapped child

    Not about this incident, but about some of the other recent ones:

    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15631576/

    There's even a Greenwood, IN mention at the end.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  23. #23

    Default Re: Coach pays a player to hurt handicapped child

    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wonder if the coach was this guy?

    Sweep the leg!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •