Thread: Rumsfeld Resigns: Robert Gates In

Default Rumsfeld Resigns: Robert Gates In

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/11/....ap/index.html

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld stepped down Wednesday, one day after congressional elections in which opposition to the war in Iraq contributed to heavy Republican Party losses.

President George W. Bush said he would nominate Robert Gates, a former CIA director, to replace Rumsfeld at the Pentagon.

Asked whether his announcement signaled a new direction in the war that has claimed the lives of more than 2,800 U.S. troops and thousands of Iraqis, Bush said, "Well, there's certainly going to be new leadership at the Pentagon." (Watch why the Army Times said Rumsfeld had to go -- 1:49 Video)

Bush lavished praise on Rumsfeld, who has spent six stormy years at the Pentagon. He disclosed he met with Gates last Sunday, two days before elections in which Democrats took control of the House of Representatives and possibly the Senate.
    Rumsfeld should have done this a couple of months ago. Might have saved the Senate for the President.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Default Re: Rumsfeld Resigns: Robert Gates In

Two years too late.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

I trust what ABADays said a few days ago on here... which makes me agree with the above sentiments even more.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I trust what ABADays said a few days ago on here... which makes me agree with the above sentiments even more.

-Bball
    I certainly respect ABADays opinion (more than my own) but I've always liked Rumsfeld, from what I heard he was not well liked by many in the defense dept because Rumsfeld tried to bring about a lot of change. Also the miltary was in shambles from 8 years of Clinton.

About time. The fact that Gates is part of the Baker-Hamilton Iraq study committee makes me think there's a change coming.

I don't particularly disagree with the "As Iraqis stand up, we'll stand down." But nobody's ever said what that means. What are the parameters - there should be some benchmarks. I've never bought a timetable - thought that was stupid. But how do you know if you're getting anywhere unless you have some measurable goals so you know when you get there?
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    Two years too late.
    More like 4 years too late, but yes.

Obviously this should have happened much sooner. I heard that rumsfeld had wanted to leave for the last year.

I think Rumsfeld was kept out of the admin's feeling that to replace him before the election would rock the republican's base faith in the party's resolution on the war. I think they were wrong but that is my guess as to the timing.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadian View Post
    I think Rumsfeld was kept out of the admin's feeling that to replace him before the election would rock the republican's base faith in the party's resolution on the war.
    I think neither the President nor Rumsfeld wanted this to happen. They just kept hoping that somehow the election would turn out okay.

Had the electorate known that their vote was turning out to be a referendum on Rumsfeld, the Democrats tsunami would have probably been even larger.

Quote Originally Posted by JIM RUTENBERG, NYTimes
    “I don’t think he initiated it,” Mr. Malek said of Mr. Rumsfeld. But, he said, “I don’t think he resisted it,” adding that at 74 and after six years at the helm during two wars, Mr. Rumsfeld was ready to step aside.
    ---
    This official said Mr. Gates’s selection came during a round of meetings in the last two months, as discussions between Mr. Bush and Mr. Rumsfeld evolved to the point where Mr. Rumsfeld had offered his resignation and Mr. Bush had finally accepted it.

On Thursday there were recriminations from some Republicans — among them Newt Gingrich — that Mr. Rumsfeld’s ouster came too late, and Republicans paid a price for it.

But officials said Mr. Bush had always planned to delay action until after the election — and to announce his decision immediately afterward, whether or not Republicans or Democrats won, to avoid the appearance he was acting in response to a drumbeat from a new Congress.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/10/wa...feld.html?_r=1

Here is part of an article talking about what I mentioned.

I believe that Bush would stick with whomever he wanted regardless of what others thought, but maybe he isn't that stubborn.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Maybe, but Bush knew who would win the elections, it was just a question of by how much. I think he did it this way to change the news story from "Bush repudiated" to "Bush moving to the center" as quickly as possible. He knows that he has to now be perceived as a centrist or he will be an extremist foil for whatever the Dems try to pass.