Thread: This will Probably be Good for Bush

Default This will Probably be Good for Bush

In 1994 Clinton's approval numbers were even lower than Bush's. After the Republicans took power they soared because he moved to the center rather than having to follow the more liberal wing of his party.

I look for the same thing to happen with Bush. Probably not to the same extent since he still has Iraq hanging over his head but some. There are things he can work with the Dems on. He isn't opposed to raising the minimum wage (not as high as the Dems want but some) and he certainly never wanted the House Gestapo Immigration Bill. He probably won't budge on tax cuts.

Bush came into office with a reputation of working well with Texan Democrats. No reason to think this won't happen again now.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Default Re: This will Probably be Good for Bush

Democrats used the Iraq card (what a surprise) and won.

And how it will be we'll see.

I'm looking forward how Dems will work.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler."

- Albert Einstein

I agree that President Bush could have a more enjoyable and productive final two years.

For one thing, instead of making the war in Iraq a Republican war, he will now need and want to listen to people like Joe Biden a lot more. Biden will be a lot more forceful and effective with Bush than Richard Lugar was as a Foreign Relations chairman.

The President, Congressman Mike Pence who might be the Minority Leader in the House, and the Democrats ought to come up with something regarding the immigration problem that will make the country proud, instead of embarrassed. President Bush 43 needs to work with Pence and key Democrats who will have a large influence on the immigration issue, even ones not in Congress, like Governor Bill Richardson of New Mexico. All of these folks can be reasonable people when motivated and I see no reason why a fair immigration bill can't be fashioned that can get enough votes in both houses of Congress and that will be something that the President will proudly sign.

The two sides will probably fight about tax and budget issues, but so what, they should. The country will be better off for the discussion. For sure, all things won't go smoothly ---but, as has been said, there are definitely opportunities ahead to do some good.

It depends if he's willing to get out (or mostly out) of Iraq. If not, then he is doomed.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Meh.

I don't think it's good for Bush. If his popularity goes up a little bit it means absolutely nothing to nobody. It certainly doesn't help him do a better job.

Taking the Senate now is actually very bad for the Democrats. They don't have enough votes to get anything substantial done, and they just lost the bite behind the "vote for change" bark for 2008. Now it's all about who gets the blame for gridlock: Congress or the President. Historically, 4 times out of five people will blam Congress.

I think it's probable that the Senate switches back to the Republicans once Operation Boot-Stomp the Libruls goes into full swing in the presidential cycle.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Taking the Senate now is actually very bad for the Democrats. They don't have enough votes to get anything substantial done, and they just lost the bite behind the "vote for change" bark for 2008. Now it's all about who gets the blame for gridlock: Congress or the President. Historically, 4 times out of five people will blam Congress.

I think it's probable that the Senate switches back to the Republicans once Operation Boot-Stomp the Libruls goes into full swing in the presidential cycle.
    I'm sure Senate Democrats are mulling over the challenge they face - you describe the political dangers clearly.

Guess the task is to make lemonade from a forest of lemon trees.

Senators John McCain, Hillary Clinton, and Barack Obama all figure to be major players in 2008. The cameras will be on these folks in the Senate these next two years.

Wierd as it sounds I think Bush has always been a better leader when having to negotiate with other party. However, I don't hold out much hope. He'd have to do a lot to win me over again.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Diesel_81

Quote Originally Posted by 3Ball View Post
    It depends if he's willing to get out (or mostly out) of Iraq. If not, then he is doomed.
    We can quit the battle field but the battle field will not quit us.

People want to compare this to Vietnam.Its as if we pull out and all our problems are over, but they're is one big difference the Viet-Cong didn't follow us home.The terroists will. Pulling out before were ready solves nothing and in the long run will be counter productive.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_81 View Post
    People want to compare this to Vietnam.Its as if we pull out and all our problems are over, but they're is one big difference the Viet-Cong didn't follow us home.The terroists will. Pulling out before were ready solves nothing and in the long run will be counter productive.
    I don't deny that there will continue to be efforts to do harm in our country to U.S. citizens, and maybe some will succeed.

But, I don't think the frequency of attacks in America has any correlation with being in or out of Iraq. What matters is that we be forever vigilant and aggressive in deterring terrorists from operating in this country.

It's also my opinion that had the US government and American people been as vigilant as we are now, the attacks on the World Trade Center, etc. would not have happened. We had our guard down as a nation.

In today's environment, no way that those 9 11 terrorists could have operated as effectively and easily as they did. They would never have gained entry to the flight cockpits and they never would have been able to take flight lessons in the United States without citizens making plenty of noise to federal officials. This country was asleep. All of us.

Quote Originally Posted by sixthman View Post
    I don't deny that there will continue to be efforts to do harm in our country to U.S. citizens, and maybe some will succeed.

But, I don't think the frequency of attacks in America has any correlation with being in or out of Iraq. What matters is that we be forever vigilant and aggressive in deterring terrorists from operating in this country.

It's also my opinion that had the US government and American people been as vigilant as we are now, the attacks on the World Trade Center, etc. would not have happened. We had our guard down as a nation.

In today's environment, no way that those 9 11 terrorists could have operated as effectively and easily as they did. They would never have gained entry to the flight cockpits and they never would have been able to take flight lessons in the United States without citizens making plenty of noise to federal officials. This country was asleep. All of us.
    All it would take is a suicide bomber

Quote Originally Posted by sixthman View Post
    That isn't all that matters unless you want to close all our embassies down and watch American tourists get blown up.

Playing Pong against terrorist attacks isn't my idea of sound policy.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    That isn't all that matters unless you want to close all our embassies down and watch American tourists get blown up.

Playing Pong against terrorist attacks isn't my idea of sound policy.
    Not sure if we have a disagreement here, but I don't know how it can be said that occupying Iraq made our embassies or citizens, traveling around the world, safer.

Obviously a sound policy against terrorism involves more than keeping the home land as safe as possible from terrorist attacks.

What I have a problem with from some of anti-war camp is that they seem to equate anti-war with isolationism.

I'm not saying anyone on here takes this possision, but when I hear that the US just needs to pull back into its boarders and everything will be fine, I shake my head.

Aside from it not being possible in this age of global enterprise, it fails to take into account that there are aggresive factions out there aside from the US.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."