Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know anything about Harrison

PacerNation

Default Anyone know anything about Harrison

It was great to see Jermaine put on 20 lbs. (a good 20) with last summer's workouts. Does anyone know if Harrison is making similar strides or if there are plans this summer for him to do so?

He's 7 feet, almost 300 pounds. Given that his father was a football player, 6'8" and 280 (4 inches taller and almost the same weight), it seems like it would be easy for Harrison to bulk up with some kind of efficient mass.

If he were to get over 300, at his height he could easily match up with Shaq, and maybe become a pseudo Shaq if he learns to use the size he has.

Default Re: Anyone know anything about Harrison

I don't look to se hrrison be a psuedo Shaq. I look to se him be a counter wiegth to guys like him. I hope he will become a great big body to through into the mix and a center than can put up some points. I like his play and am excited, but I don't see a future all-star.

PacerNation

Right. I meant a pseudo Shaq in terms of a big body - a presence. Again "pseudo" Shaq; by no means will David Harrison ever be a true Shaq.

I think David's ideal weight is about 270-275. Maybe 265. I certainly don't want him getting any bigger.

All reports indicate that David has done a fantastic job getting in shape this summer, and is looking his thinnest yet. Rick said he almost did a double-take when he first saw him.

Maybe after David gets his conditioning down pat, I would be okay with him looking to pack on weight. Not until then though.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

David Harrison's Butt > Bertha's

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

I could care less about a guy's size as long as it doesn't effect his health and athleticism as a basketball player. Talent, stamina and sturdiness are the keys.

Lets start with Talent - it's a legit question to wonder if David's size is an aid in his ability to play the position. Will losing weight help him or hurt him here? I honestly don't know.

In the case of stamina, it was pretty well accepted that he wasn't even able to pull a 24 minute shift on a regular basis. That's a big problem if you want to play in the NBA. Again, was it his weight? Was it inexperience? Or was it just that he didn't spend enough time on the treadmill? Ultimately, you can be 300 pounds and be in the best shape of your life, but this varies from person to person. I hope Harrison's headed in the right direction.

Now sturdiness. David injured just about everything (including his head) last year. And none of us really know if it had anything to do with his weight or his "condition", or just dumb luck. IHis weight has been pointed to as an area that could improve and maybe help him avoid his injuries. I hope it's that easy.

David needs to find his groove - AND HIS LIMITS - as far as his body is concerned. Once he settles in, the coaches can put him in, know what to expect, and not be disappointed. I see his recent concentration on losing weight as nothing more than an experiment to improve his game.

Let's just wait and see if the experiment works.

Well, he started the year with a shoulder injury, I believe. You can't blame the head injury on him, he's lucky he's not having someone spoon feed him applesauce. And the knee, well, that could definitely be due to being overweight. I guess we'll have to take a wait and see approach.

I heard Brunner on WIBC last night and he said he was shocked when he first saw Harrison this week. Shocked that he was in as good a shape as he was. Thinest he has been since he has been a Pacers.

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by Eindar
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, he started the year with a shoulder injury, I believe. You can't blame the head injury on him, he's lucky he's not having someone spoon feed him applesauce. And the knee, well, that could definitely be due to being overweight. I guess we'll have to take a wait and see approach.
    I didn't realize the head injury was that bad. I know concussions are serious, but exactly how severe was it? Where was he hit exactly and how hard and what was the extent of the injury?

well he spend almost a week in hospital, which is not a normal thing after a concussion anymore nowadays, unless it is severe.

he could've easily broken his jaw as well, but that is another matter, seeing him stagger of the court and flop on the seats was disconcerning to say the least
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

PacerNation

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    I think David's ideal weight is about 270-275. Maybe 265. I certainly don't want him getting any bigger.

All reports indicate that David has done a fantastic job getting in shape this summer, and is looking his thinnest yet. Rick said he almost did a double-take when he first saw him.

Maybe after David gets his conditioning down pat, I would be okay with him looking to pack on weight. Not until then though.

I agree that he should work on getting "in shape" before trying to bulk up. But if he can lift and bulk up properly (i.e. increase muscle mass so his joints will have the support needed for the extra weight) I think he should. It would be a waste of his natural frame for him to not at least be around 300.

I just don't buy it that his ideal weight is at 265-270; that's what Ron weighs. Again, David Harrison's father was a Probowl player for the Philadelphia Eagles. He was 6'8" and 280 - if you do the math David has the potential to be a big strong guy. Keep in mind also, when I say his father was 6'8" and 280, I'm not referring to a strong but also fat defensive lineman; a guard, tackle, or nosegaurd. His father was a feared defensive end, meaning he had quickness, strength, and was most likely in better shape than the other linemen. Given that, I hope once David has learned to cope with the playing time and intensity of the NBA that he can move towards becoming a truly dominant player because of his size.

Again, I do agree that the cart shouldn't come before the horse and he should get in shape first.

Gamble

[QUOTE=SoupIsGood]I think David's ideal weight is about 270-275. Maybe 265. I certainly don't want him getting any bigger.

David could get to the 300's if he worked out more and ate less.
    He's not an ideal 280 right now with his fatt %. You could see him
    get leaner and be able to move better in the paint to finish stronger.
    I can't wait to see what he brings to the table. In reports its been said
    that he is highly motivated and he is moving much quicker than last year.
    Now if he could just box out more and grab some rebounds.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble
    Now if he could just box out more and grab some rebounds.

I've always thought he boxed out fine. He just didn't ever break away and go after the ball.

He always kept his man away from the ball as well, turning it into a 4 on 4 situation.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think David's got plenty of size at 280, I'd like him to stay at 280 with better muscle mass. Too much weight might be bad for his knees.

I must not watch the same guy as some of the rest of you. David was excellent at using his body in the post as a rookie. He's got to learn to use his hands less, defensively, but just about every rookie C has to learn that, or at least how to hide it from the officials. He blocks out quite effectively but his individual rebound numbers - because of his small hands - will never tell the story of how easy he makes it for his teammates to get rebounds.

He's already a legit post presence at a "soft 280", and that is not measured with any type of stats. His soft hands and good touch mean that he should be an effective scorer from the post, and in fact he was generally effective at scoring from the post last season.

I'm looking forward to more and more of David and JO on the court together next season.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Since86
    I've always thought he boxed out fine. He just didn't ever break away and go after the ball.

He always kept his man away from the ball as well, turning it into a 4 on 4 situation.
    I generally agree with this. But with his relatively small hands, I'd prefer he continue to 'seal' his man away from the rebound and let his teammates pick up the ball.

His presence in the post makes us a better rebounding *team*, regardless of whether his individual numbers look good or not.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

woman without a team

Other than the fact that he's a tall black guy who inevitably gets called for at least one foul within 30 seconds of checking into the game I don't know much.

Harrison can be as good as he wants really... I think he can be much better than the Dampiers and Jerome James of the league for sure. He seems to have a natural instinct and athleticism for the game that can be developed pretty quickly....Plus he's got a nice touch around the basket for all that size and muscle. Its tough to find a legit big with a soft touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    I must not watch the same guy as some of the rest of you. David was excellent at using his body in the post as a rookie.
    Us balcony guys just have a different perspective, I guess. One of my favorite things to do last year was watch people try to get around David in the post. He takes up a tremendous amount of space and people just cannot get around him. He also sets a nice pick.......
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    I must not watch the same guy as some of the rest of you. David was excellent at using his body in the post as a rookie.

When he has already gathered the ball. My biggest knock on him, is that he doesn't use(or comfortable enough at the pro-level) his body to seal off his man. He always has his hands down trying to use them to gain width. I'm not upset with it, at this point, though. It's a major jump from Big 12 big men defenders, and the NBA.

We'll see a huge improvement in his play if he can get comfortable/experience in being able not to use his hands to post.

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat
    Us balcony guys just have a different perspective, I guess. One of my favorite things to do last year was watch people try to get around David in the post. He takes up a tremendous amount of space and people just cannot get around him. He also sets a nice pick.......
    Great day in the morning. An actual basketball-related post by MR. You don't see these very often.

Quote Originally Posted by grace
    Other than the fact that he's a tall black guy who inevitably gets called for at least one foul within 30 seconds of checking into the game I don't know much.
    No, you're getting him confused with Eddie Gill.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Looking at the number of blocks he had today, it reminded me that I also like his use of his left hand to block shots......

Wow, two posts in a row, way to go Rat.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    Wow, two posts in a row, way to go Rat.
    I've met my quota for the year......

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    No, you're getting him confused with Eddie Gill.
    No I'm not. David is the taller one.