Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vacationing in Indy 2: The Return

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Vacationing in Indy 2: The Return

So, some of you may remember my thread around this time last year: Local Indianapolis Info/Advice Needed

Well, despite the fact I was planning on it being a once in a lifetime or once in a decade trip the schedule just worked out too well again and well, I've already booked the flights. I'm coming back!

Honestly, my visit last year was one of the best times of my life. I felt really welcomed in the city by most people I met and ultimately ended up feeling more at home than I feel at home - Genuinely. I almost felt like a different person in Indianapolis, was able to meet Pacers fans for the first time in my life and felt immediately like I had people I could connect with. I'm sure I picked out the right team to follow and although this season looks like it might be a struggle I'm looking forward to being there at the official start of the Myles Turner era.

I'm going to be in Indianapolis, this time from December 2nd until December 19th. So guys, what's going on in December?! Do things get particularly interesting in the run up to Christmas? Should I bring a lot of rain gear? Where else should I visit that I may have missed last time around? Where is the best deep dish pizza in town? We don't get deep dish in England.

Off-the-cuff some of the places I did visit last year were Shapiro's, Kuma's Corner, Fountain Square, Indianapolis Motor Speedway, White River State Park, NCAA Hall of Fame, Circle Centre, Soldiers and Sailors Monument, Indiana War Memorials... and probably a bunch of places I just can't remember at this exact moment. I didn't get time to visit the Zoo, Children's Museum, Hinkie Fieldhouse and most of the restaurants mentioned. I can't remember all of the ones I did go but know for sure I didn't end up at La Parada which I will do this time for sure and St. Elmo's didn't happen either!

I'll be staying downtown once again, about a three minute walk from Lucas Oil. Don't mind a walk to places and definitely need to visit a few more bars with my evenings. As an example of the walk I'm happy to make, I walked from Lucas Oil to Fountain Square and back quite happily

Anyway, hope to see a few of you around and again the more suggestions the better!

Right now my schedule is:

Dec 02: Arrive
    Dec 03:
    Dec 04: Knicks @ Pacers
    Dec 05:
    Dec 06: Bulls @ Pacers
    Dec 07:
    Dec 08: Cavs @ Pacers
    Dec 09:
    Dec 10: Nuggets @ Pacers
    Dec 11:
    Dec 12:
    Dec 13: Thunder @ Pacers
    Dec 14: Broncos @ Colts
    Dec 15: Pistons @ Pacers
    Dec 16:
    Dec 17: Pacers @ Nets (TV)
    Dec 18: Celtics @ Pacers
    Dec 19: Depart

Thanks all!
    Pacers fan since April 9th 2004 - New Jersey 80 Indiana 90.
    Went to NFL UK in London, Oct. 2016 (1 Colts game)
    Visited Indy from Nov. 11-28th 2016 (8 Pacers games, 2 Colts)
    Went to Global Game in London, Jan. 2017 (1 Pacers game)
    Visiting Indy again from Dec. 2-20th 2017 (7 Pacers games, 1 Colts)

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Eamer For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Vacationing in Indy 2: The Return

Quote Originally Posted by Eamer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So, some of you may remember my thread around this time last year: Local Indianapolis Info/Advice Needed

Well, despite the fact I was planning on it being a once in a lifetime or once in a decade trip the schedule just worked out too well again and well, I've already booked the flights. I'm coming back!

Honestly, my visit last year was one of the best times of my life. I felt really welcomed in the city by most people I met and ultimately ended up feeling more at home than I feel at home - Genuinely. I almost felt like a different person in Indianapolis, was able to meet Pacers fans for the first time in my life and felt immediately like I had people I could connect with. I'm sure I picked out the right team to follow and although this season looks like it might be a struggle I'm looking forward to being there at the official start of the Myles Turner era.

I'm going to be in Indianapolis, this time from December 2nd until December 19th. So guys, what's going on in December?! Do things get particularly interesting in the run up to Christmas? Should I bring a lot of rain gear? Where else should I visit that I may have missed last time around? Where is the best deep dish pizza in town? We don't get deep dish in England.

Off-the-cuff some of the places I did visit last year were Shapiro's, Kuma's Corner, Fountain Square, Indianapolis Motor Speedway, White River State Park, NCAA Hall of Fame, Circle Centre, Soldiers and Sailors Monument, Indiana War Memorials... and probably a bunch of places I just can't remember at this exact moment. I didn't get time to visit the Zoo, Children's Museum, Hinkie Fieldhouse and most of the restaurants mentioned. I can't remember all of the ones I did go but know for sure I didn't end up at La Parada which I will do this time for sure and St. Elmo's didn't happen either!

I'll be staying downtown once again, about a three minute walk from Lucas Oil. Don't mind a walk to places and definitely need to visit a few more bars with my evenings. As an example of the walk I'm happy to make, I walked from Lucas Oil to Fountain Square and back quite happily

Anyway, hope to see a few of you around and again the more suggestions the better!

Right now my schedule is:

Dec 02: Arrive
    Dec 03:
    Dec 04: Knicks @ Pacers
    Dec 05:
    Dec 06: Bulls @ Pacers
    Dec 07:
    Dec 08: Cavs @ Pacers
    Dec 09:
    Dec 10: Nuggets @ Pacers
    Dec 11:
    Dec 12:
    Dec 13: Thunder @ Pacers
    Dec 14: Broncos @ Colts
    Dec 15: Pistons @ Pacers
    Dec 16:
    Dec 17: Pacers @ Nets (TV)
    Dec 18: Celtics @ Pacers
    Dec 19: Depart

Thanks all!
    I'm hoping to be at the game on the 13th. If I make it, we should connect for a beer. Enjoy your trip!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Drew46229 For This Useful Post:

Something that you may or may not be interested in is the Yuletide Celebration put on each year by the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra.
    It is a professional show with holiday themes with various singers and puppetry. Very entertaining.

It is in the Circle Theatre on the circle downtown.
    Last edited by owl; 08-25-2017 at 04:58 PM.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

December is not particularly raining I don't think, but we do sometimes get snow. It can get quite cold. Maybe 10 years ago it got down to -10F on Christmas Eve. Considering the last two winters we are due for a cold winter. Predicting December weather can be difficult, it can either end up the last month of autumn or the first month of winter. So, plan for anything between 20C to -20C, literally.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Three Bulldog games at Hinkle between 12/02 & 12/09. I'm biased but it is a great experience.

I don't live in the state anymore but glad you appreciate the area and the people. Every time I go back am pleased how much I appreciate the experience Indy is and has become.
    Last edited by Downtown Bang!; 08-25-2017 at 07:38 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Downtown Bang! For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Bang! View Post
    Three Bulldog games at Hinkle between 12/02 & 12/09. I'm biased but it is a great experience.

I don't live in the state anymore but glad you appreciate the area and the people. Every time I go back am pleased how much I appreciate the experience Indy is and has become.
    More than happy to visit a college game. Just gotta get tickets and then get there!

Quote Originally Posted by Eamer View Post
    More than happy to visit a college game. Just gotta get tickets and then get there!
    Getting to the Butler campus is a pretty direct and cheap Lyft/Uber ride from downtown at least, so shouldn't be too bad! It's a great place to watch a game.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Hope we can manage to get together this time...

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk
    BillS

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
    Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Hope we can manage to get together this time...

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk
    For sure. I was going to tag you in the opening post but couldn't work out how!

if we talk sweetly to Jose Slaughter he might arrange another Pacers Digest gathering for when you are here.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    if we talk sweetly to Jose Slaughter he might arrange another Pacers Digest gathering for when you are here.
    I'm in if it fits for the rest of you guys. Know it might be a push being so near the Christmas period but it was definitely good to meet you guys in person.

There's openings in the schedule on the 9th and 16th.

Both a non game day Saturday.

Let's see what other plans Eamer can arrange and take it from there.

Just throwing this out there.....

If we go with the 16th we could actually go to Ft. Wayne for a Mad Ants game.

It's a Saturday night home game. Not sure how thrilled everyone would be about going to Ft Wayne a week before Christmas however.

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter View Post
    Just throwing this out there.....

If we go with the 16th we could actually go to Ft. Wayne for a Mad Ants game.

It's a Saturday night home game. Not sure how thrilled everyone would be about going to Ft Wayne a week before Christmas however.
    Yea honestly that would not work for me but if it works for everyone else then go ahead.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Have fun, I love Indy in December around the holidays, maybe it is just family/childhood nostalgia, but it is one of my favorite times of year there.

Now, I have no desire to be there from the day after New Years to the end of February for the rest of my life when it is incredibly cold and gray, but during the holidays, it is great!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Restaurants to hit while you're here

Milktooth- Brunch place. Some people believe Milktooth might be the best place for breakfast/brunch in the country...seriously. Price: $$

The Eagle- Fried chicken place, it's pretty decent and right downtown. Price: $-$$

Chatham Tap- English soccer bar. Amazing wings (Prince Dean's Angel Wings they are called) and also lots of good sandwiches. It's on Mass Ave. Price: $

Fat Dan's Deli- It's a Chicago style bar. Lots of Chicago sports gear, but the food is great. Hot dogs, sandwiches, burgers, wings, fries. It's all super greasy, but cooked fresh on a flat top grill and it's good. Usually a fun atmosphere too. The original is in Broad Ripple, but there is one on Mass Ave now too. Price: $

Livery- New place downtown. Small plates. Spanish/Mexican food. Pretty good. It's popular right now. Price: $$

Union 50- Mass Ave again. This place has good food, but it's also a bar that has a decent crowd at night. Price: $-$$

The Tap- Really great beer selection. Original one was in Bloomington (Indiana University). This one is just off Mass Ave. Price $-$$

Thunderbird- Maybe the best restaurant downtown? They do rotating menus and have good cocktails. I'd definitely hit this up for dinner one night. Price: $$-$$$

Tinker Street- Also a new-ish place. It's a restaurant and wine bar. Price: $$-$$$

Bru Burger- Local burger place. Decent beer selection. Solid burgers. Nice atmosphere right on the corner of Mass Ave. Price: $-$$

That's a pretty good variety of downtown restaurants.

If you're adventurous. Take an Uber or something out to Fortville and try Foxgardin. Great place. About a 50 minute Uber ride from downtown.

If you're really adventurous, find a way out to Bonge's near Anderson which is probably the best restaurant in Central Indiana and is in this unassuming old style farm house basically in the middle of nowhere. It is awesome. Food is incredible and they get busy, so people typically tailgate in the parking lot as they wait for their tables (they don't take reservations). In December you might have to tailgate in a vehicle. Probably about a 75 minute drive from downtown.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

If we're mentioning eating places - Working Man's Friend.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

If your looking for something to do during the day and enjoy architecture, you could take a short drive down 65 to Columbus Indiana. Columbus is well known for architects from around the world designing buildings here. It is about an hour drive South of Indy.

Mood

If you're there that long, should be enough time for a day trip to Chicago for the most famous deep dish (among other things to do up there). Hell, I'd drive you up, but I'll be way up here in Canada. As a home-grown Indy resident, pack for every possible weather condition.
    "I mean, you'd walk into our dressing room and run into Mel Daniels holding a .45 -- it makes you wonder."

Bob Netolicky

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

As a downtown resident I'd say Trader Joe laid it out pretty well, right down to Chatham having the best wings. For the stay you are doing the long trips will probably be too much though both Bonges and Foxgardin are legit.

Livery has been my favorite place (the Red Drum is my #1 meal in Indy) the last 6 months but the service is starting to get a rep as terrible. Food good, drinks good, but often you are waiting on the wait staff.

I still love Bakersfield which is Mexican but I think for most locals it was so hot for the last 2 years that might be losing buzz to all the new places. Still reliable and serves my favorite cocktail in Indy, the Red Headed Stranger (Wild Turkey, ginger liquor and cayenne pepper).

Goodfellas pizza is new to Mass Ave and people love it, but I don't believe they do deep dish. Bazbeaux pizza is down by Eagle and is an Indy staple, so reliable and interesting it almost gets forgotten, but it's definitely uniquely good in a way that's not like other pizza places, Fancy without losing touch of being stuff your face good like pizza should be.

I love Fat Dan's but its is more fun when it's warm enough to have the outdoor seating going. Still you can get some Wrigley Field caliber Italian beef and killer tater tots.

There is a great meatball place at the north end of Mass Ave called Mimi Blue. 45 Degrees has great sushi options and I believe Sunday's it's 50% off. The fried chicken at Eagle is good as Joe mentioned.

St Elmos has the rep but when I do nice steak/seafood I hit Prime, and since its basically a Pacers place (including location) it fits your trip. If you want the famous St Elmo shrimp cocktail just go to Harry and Izzy's next door. Also you can buy mild or hot St Elmos cocktail sauce all over the place now, I think even at the airport and definitely at the downtown Marsh on New Jersey (or whatever they decide to rename it). If you just have to go into St Elmo to experience it you could probably get away with just having a cocktail at the bar with some shrimp if you really wanted to knock it off your list.

I friends with the chef at Char Blu where ex Colt Gary Brackett is a co-owner and I like it quite a bit. Its upscale and interesting.

The Virginia Ave/Fountain Square situation has really taken off. You should definitely hit Hotel Tango for a drink, and try some of the restaurants in that area. Tappers is a video game bar where all the games are free. Grab a drink and play all the Mortal Kombat you can take. Milktooth that Joe mentioned is also right there. Thunderbird is a few blocks down in the heart of Fountain Sq. 5 minute Uber or a pleasant walk on the cultural trail if you catch a mild day by chance.

Both the Mass Ave and Virginia Ave areas are runs of 5-6 blocks where you can walk between a pretty dense run of bars restaurants, at least by Indy standards. So it makes for a good night of food and bar crawling.

Tinker Street is up at 16th street which by my standards is the far north end of "downtown proper". There is a pretty good new Mexican place also on 16th about 6-7 blocks east of Tinker Street called Festiva. Small like a hole in the wall but we've been walking up there quite a bit lately.

Other new stuff directly downtown is Punch Bowl Social which is a huge bar that features all sorts of backyard and bar game areas, like horseshoes and bowling. It's pretty fun and quirky. Nada is another Mexican place that's fancier than a quicky taco place. And another Indiana favorite, Brothers, just opened a huge location right on Meridian St.

There's also a good Italian place called Iozzo's which is on Meridian about 4 blocks south of downtown proper, just a bit south of the downtown Shapiro's if that's where you went before. You wouldn't even realize this is a place to go for food, but again it's 5 minutes in an Uber from a downtown hotel.

If we're mentioning eating places - Working Man's Friend.

Yeah, it's a bit west of downtown proper and basically a classic hole-in-the-wall. Cash only but great greasy burgers and huge tenderloins, which to me is the classic Indiana food item along with an ear of corn at the state fair.

Drinking
    Indy has a town of microbrew places to the point of it being stupid. Sun King is a natural stop and a good Indy special, but you can find plenty of options past that. Personally I'm a cocktail guy and I'd say hit Plat 99 at the Alexander hotel right by Bankers Life. Get a pour of Absinthe done proper (ice water drip over sugar cube). If you go up to Mass Ave I'd hit Ball and Biscuit for a cocktail, McNivens for scotch and Rathskellar for German beer.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Since you are from Bristol you might actually appreciate dropping in at the Rolls-Royce building downtown to see the engine museum. It's free, open to the public and not particularly big, but RR Aero is definitely part of Bristol's history so you might get a kick out of it. What else do you have to do at 2pm on a weekday? ;-)

Depending on my work travel I could actually meet you for lunch, and probably I could talk Imawhat into joining as well.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

You can stay in my basement. People love it so much they don't want to leave.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to btowncolt For This Useful Post:

Prime 47 is what Seth is referencing as a steak place. It's literally right next to the fieldhouse. Great service, but the regulars there are really crazy

If seafood is your thing, Salt on Mass which is I don't know, maybe 6 months old? Is getting really good reviews. And it's right in the thick of all of the restaurants Seth and I already rattled off.

Lurker of the Year Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

I'll second the Bakersfield recommendation, love their tacos.

For deep dish pizza, the Chicago deep dish restaurant Giordano's recently opened a downtown location if you want authentic Chicago deep dish. There is also Union Jack Pub in broad ripple if you are looking for a home grown Indy version of deep dish pizza that's also really good.

In fact If you didn't make it to Broad Ripple Village last time I would recommend it, it's more on the north side of the city so roughly a 20 minute drive from downtown but has a whole host of restaurants and bars to choose from in it's own right... including the quintessential Indianapolis dive bar, The Alley Cat. Which is pretty much my favorite bar.
    Last edited by Infinite MAN_force; 08-30-2017 at 04:25 PM.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Infinite MAN_force For This Useful Post: