Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pacers offered 3 years 15 millions to Jasikevicius

Default Pacers offered 3 years 15 millions to Jasikevicius

http://www.basketnews.lt/index.php/n...qng797u74gn065

===================================

Quote:
    Theres European U20 (born 1985) Championship going right now in Moscow and scouts are obviously there. Reporter from Lithuanian site www.basketnews.lt (only Lith version) is there and caught Rudy D’Amico, Cavs scout, for the interview. Sorry for my poor vocabulary, grammar and mistakes. Simply its 2 a.m. here and also Im pissed enough to translate it for the 2nd time as at the very end my comp got stuck… AHHH…

So it begins with questions about U20 Champ, but scout doesnt say anything particular because he cant break some NBA rules. Later questions about Andriuskevicius, nothing new or interesting (speculations). And now Saras part… here it goes.

Question: Lets talk about Jasikevicius. Have you offered him a detailed contract?
    Answer: We talked to him. He knows that we are interested. I have talked with him personally, also other scouts contacted him.

Q: About what were you talking? How does he rate his possibility to play for Cavs?
    A: We talked about possibility to play in Cleveland (smiles). He said that everything depends if Ilgauskas signs with us. As you know we extended contract with him.

Q: So Jasikevicius said "if Ilgauskas plays in Cleveland…"
    A: Then he would be interested in our offer, because they are good friends. Will it be surprising news in Lithuania?

Q: Not at all. What do new owners of club think about possibility of Jasikevicius playing in Cleveland?
    A: They gonna listen to what we (scouts) and coaches suggest. We have resigned Ilgauskas, theres possibility that Jasikevicius will also play in Cleveland.

Q: How many percents would you give for him next season playing in Cavs?
    A: Sixty. But there are other teams, which could offer more money. We'll see what will happen, but together with Ilgauskas they would make awesome tandem – like husband and wife. Like a marriage.

Q: What are other clubs heavily interested in Jasikevicius?
    A: As far as I know Indiana and Seattle wants him much. Probably more teams exist.

Q: We heard that Pacers offered 3 years 15 millions to Jasikevicius…
    A: You know everything (laughs).

Q: Could Cleveland offer him the same money?
    A: You probably know that in NBA salary cap rule exists. We cant offer very big sum to him. After we resigned Ilgauskas and signed Hughes I dont know how much money left. We know that he wants to play with Ilgauskas, so we hope that his decision will depend not only on money.

Q: Is there a possibility you go over the cap?
    A: I dont know if its possible. Club owners decide on that. I think such possibility exists, because Cavs want to have them both. I hope that next season they will play together.

Q: What positions your team lacks?
    A: PG. We have SG, also LeBron James can play few positions. We need one or two players besides PG.

Q: Maybe another Lithuanian Arvydas Macijauskas would fit into this position?
    A: As far as I know he has contract with Tau Vitoria (reporter confirms that NBA clause with small buyout exists). I know that hes great shooter and that he no doubt can play in NBA. But our team doesnt need him, because recently we signed his position player in Hughes
    That means we give him the full MLE and that we are planning to sign Dale with the vets minimum.

Default Re: Pacers offered 3 years 15 millions to Jasikevicius

And he didn't accept it I gather.

Well, so much for that. Who's next?

IndyToad
    Should we call for backup?

Fine by me.

I don't know that he didn't accept, rather he's probably mulling it over. I'm sure the Cavs have made an offer too.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

that seems like a fair offer.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

5 mil? I hope Bird is right about this guy. Jax and Tinsley got about the same and he hasn't even played an NBA game yet.

Oh damn, now I sound like Kegboy.

You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

I can't say I care much about this, I'm rather satisfied with who we have
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can't say I care much about this, I'm rather satisfied with who we have
    I agree, I dont even see where he would get the playing time. Unless AJ or Tinsley get hurt. I rather save the MLE and use 1.5 of it to sign DD and the rest to sign one of the vets that get cut because of the luxury tax.

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac
    I agree, I dont even see where he would get the playing time. Unless AJ or Tinsley get hurt. I rather save the MLE and use 1.5 of it to sign DD and the rest to sign one of the vets that get cut because of the luxury tax.

Yep I Agree...

And hellrell is really good...dipset.

BeastoftheEast

I do believe if we get saranus we will trade aj away...

I agree, I dont even see where he would get the playing time. Unless AJ or Tinsley get hurt.
    In which case we are screwed. As admirably as AJ performed in the 2nd half of last season, if Tins goes down I dont want AJ to be our starter and I really dont want Gill to be our backup.

If Tins' injury woes continue then ill be happy with Saras and AJ splitting the minutes.

I hope the $5Mil / year convinces Saras to take a smaller role than he would get with the Cavs. This basically confirms that the Pacers only want to give DD the vet min. Given all the veteran waiver bargains that are likely going to be on the market, I'm suprised he is getting much interest at all.

I hope we didn't offer the entire MLE to him, but I don't think we would need it to sign a player waived by the amnesty rule. I believe we also get an annual vet exception that would allow us to sign a player for the vet minimum, even if we use the entire MLE.
    My hope is to sign DD for as little above the minimum as possible, then offer the rest of the MLE to SJ. That would leave us with the vet min. to use, if we can one of the waived players. If we could get DD for around 2 mil to start a 3 year deal, then we would be able to offer SJ a 3 year deal for close to 10 mil. overall.

I still think it isn't AJ who needs to be worried about his job on the Pacers if Saras is signed. The Pacers (Bird) aren't this interested in a player to be a backup. He might not be the annointed starter but Tinsley's role as starter could be one bad pass away.... And I'd bet practice would start with the starting spot open.

IMHO...

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If this news is correct, that we are offering Saras roughly Tinsley's salary to sign for 3 years, has it not occurred to you that perhaps Bird is thinking about getting rid of Tinsley and not AJ?

Saras supposedly has speed and is a very good passer. I don't know that I'd call Tinsley fast, but he is able to push the ball quickly up the court and is a very good distributor. Saras can shoot the ball from anywhere, Tinsley cannot. Neither player sets the world on fire at the defensive end.

Since AJ is a decent defender, something that neither Saras or Tinsley can claim, then it would seem desirable to keep him. After all, we need at least one player at the point capable of defending his own shadow.

I really believe that if Saras signs for $5M/year, that Bird believes he will be able to trade Tinsley once he gives Saras time to get his footing.

But I also question this rumor. I guess I'd be surprised that we would offer Saras that much, considering our present salary situation and the fact that we haven't signed JJ or DD yet.

There are a couple possibilities.

Maybe they have an agreement in place but they can't move forward until a trade is made, which might have to wait until the 22nd. Isn't Tins contract still considered "poision pill"?, when does that end?

Does it make a difference if we sign Davis & Jones first or Jasikevicius?

It's not so much what events take place, but sometimes the order in which they need to.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

I agree..It be Tins on the hotseat. I would think that one of he enticements to Saras would be the promise that the starter spot is up for grabs in camp.

Is he better than TIns? We know that in one very important area he is...he knows how to win when a championship is on the line.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

foretaz

im not sure tins would be on the hotseat per se'...

there will however, be a helluva backup plan if he were to get injured or get into some sort of mental slump....i also believe the competition would probably improve him....he responded well when demoted to 3rd string...hes still young....if saras comes here...3 years will probably be about it for saras...jt has many more years left in him....

as ive said...if saras does come here, you will probably see a 3 guard rotation with jt, jack and saras....saras and jt could play at the same time....wouldnt be the greatest defensive backcourt, but it can and probably would happen....

i still say aj is out...i cant see them keeping him as the 3 pg....but who knows....if tins were to go down then having saras and aj would be pretty stellar....but i really think if saras is here they would then want someone who is a better defender than aj.....i think aj is overrated when it comes to defending....i think they want someone who is very quick and can stay with some of the blazing pgs in the league...aj isnt that guy...and his trade value will never be higher....there are a number of teams who have very young pgs that could use a quality veteran pg...

all this being said, i wonder how much of this report is actually true...i do believe, as ive said before, that Z signing with the cavs was huge in the saras race, and gave the cavs the upper hand....

as far as signing him to the full MLE...that is interesting but certainly enhances our chances....bird wants something and hes going after it....

this in no way affects our ability to resign dale or anyone else to either the vet min or the million dollar exception(about 1.6 mil)....it also doesnt affect the JJ re-signing....

i say it doesnt affect these things....the higher payroll might, but we would still have the options to do these things....

I think Tinsley was a much better defender last year than he had been in years past. Certainly no Gary Payton, but the major knock on Sarunas is that he's horrible defensively. I really doubt Carlisle is going to start a guy who makes Mark Jackson look like a DPOY, unless his hand is forced.

IF it is true you know a few things for sure:

A: if he really wants a contender he will sign here and not with the Cavs as they can offer no more
    B: Cro wont report to trainingscamp
    C: likely Polly is on his way out for a pick
    D: AJ is on his way out
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by able
    IF it is true you know a few things for sure:

A: if he really wants a contender he will sign here and not with the Cavs as they can offer no more
    B: Cro wont report to trainingscamp
    C: likely Polly is on his way out for a pick
    D: AJ is on his way out

ive felt for quite some time that a trade involving aj and pollard for one player was very possible....we need to do a 2 for 1....a quality point guard and serviceable big man would seem to be attractive to a number of teams.....its these two positions that seem to be the hardest to fill

Quote Originally Posted by beast23
    If this news is correct, that we are offering Saras roughly Tinsley's salary to sign for 3 years, has it not occurred to you that perhaps Bird is thinking about getting rid of Tinsley and not AJ?

Saras supposedly has speed and is a very good passer. I don't know that I'd call Tinsley fast, but he is able to push the ball quickly up the court and is a very good distributor. Saras can shoot the ball from anywhere, Tinsley cannot. Neither player sets the world on fire at the defensive end.

Since AJ is a decent defender, something that neither Saras or Tinsley can claim, then it would seem desirable to keep him. After all, we need at least one player at the point capable of defending his own shadow.

I really believe that if Saras signs for $5M/year, that Bird believes he will be able to trade Tinsley once he gives Saras time to get his footing.

But I also question this rumor. I guess I'd be surprised that we would offer Saras that much, considering our present salary situation and the fact that we haven't signed JJ or DD yet.

Yes that has occurred to me, and yes I think easily could happen. Montieth basically hinted that one of the big four would be traded and it would not be Artest. I doubt J.O or Jax are going anywhere.

And I take this article to mean that he likely will sign with the Pacers.

Mood

and so the Hornets apparently sign one of our other options, Arvydas Macijauskas. Take him off the list too.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer
    and so the Hornets apparently sign one of our other options, Arvydas Macijauskas. Take him off the list too.

actually i was kinda concerned with the hornets going after jj....that signing makes it quite improbable....so i think its a good thing...

foretaz

u know....if the pacers were trying to trade aj, they would probably be in a bit better position from a trading standpoint if they didnt have saras signed...if they have saras on board other teams would know they really needed to get rid of aj and might not be willing to offer quite as much in return....

who knows...maybe thats why larry tried to make it seem like saras might go somewhere else by saying they could afford to pay alot...as long as saras isnt signed, aj has more perceived value to this team...

so larry could have saras locked up and just wanting to hold off a while till they can make a deal for aj...or even tins for that matter....

u never know....

Mood

OK, I'm one that would like to see this happen so I've refrained from jinxing it but....

IMO, the longer this goes on the more likely it is that a) either we are really forcing him to think about our offer hard, or
    b) we already have an agreement with him in principle.
    I believe option "b" myself. Cleveland has been letting their signings "leak". This hasn't leaked and if we have an agreement, it won't leak. Not until right before the signing date "22nd" or what ever date is assigned. But in either case, I feel it is good for the P's chances.

Now I have officially put the hex on this deal.....CLeveland is prolly just hrs. away from leaking his signing.