Thread: Bender returns to the lineup

Default Bender returns to the lineup

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...507150515/1088

pacers notebook
    Bender returns to the lineup
    Often-injured forward expects to play today and Sunday during summer league.

By Mark Montieth
    mark.montieth@indystar.com

Experience has taught the Indiana Pacers to be wary of positive reports about Jonathan Bender's health.

If the latest word is accurate, however, Bender will be in the starting lineup today when the Pacers' summer league team opens play in Minneapolis.

The Pacers will play Houston at 3 p.m. at the Target Center. Minnesota, Milwaukee, New York and Toronto also have entered teams.

Bender, the fifth pick in the 1999 draft, has played in just 74 games the past three seasons because of assorted injuries.

He did not participate in summer league practices this week, working instead with therapist Dan Dyrek in Boston. The Pacers, however, believe Bender is ready for limited game action and plan to play him today and Sunday.

"We'll see how it goes," said assistant coach Dan Burke, who will direct the Pacers' team. "As long as he's strong and feeling good, we'll give him a good look."

The Pacers have heard that Bender recently played without pain in a game at former NBA guard Kenny Smith's camp.

"You always hear that kind of stuff in the summer," Burke said. "We'll wait and see."

Thomas impresses

Chris Thomas has a long way to go to prove he's ready for the NBA, but he didn't falter in his initial steps.

The former Pike High School and Notre Dame point guard was among the free agents who made a positive impression in the Pacers' practices at Conseco Fieldhouse this week, and he will start today.

"Each day he's looked better as far as making decisions and being a leader," Burke said. "And it looks like he can really shoot."

Thomas will be joined in the starting lineup by shooting guard Maurice Carter, Bender, Ron Artest and last year's first-round draft pick, David Harrison.

Vets get preference

Summer league rosters usually don't include veterans such as Artest and Bender, but the Pacers made exceptions.

Artest is trying to regain his conditioning and timing after missing the final 73 games of last season because of a suspension. Bender is trying to rehabilitate injuries that kept him out of all but seven games last season.

They'll be the primary focus of the Pacers' attention, along with Harrison.

"Our focus has to be our guys," Burke said. "That's not saying they have to get every shot, though. I hope they play within the team framework. It's not about Ron or Jonathan playing 40 minutes or getting 50 points."

Artest's primary interest will be to test himself against the highly regarded rookies coming into the league. Milwaukee's Andrew Bogut, the first overall pick in last month's draft, is scheduled to participate, along with notables such as Channing Frye and Nate Robinson (New York) and Luther Head (Houston). Charlie Villanueva and Joey Graham (both with Toronto) and Rashad McCants (Minnesota) are expected to sit out with injuries.

"The last couple of years, the rookies coming into the league have been pretty good," Artest said. "LeBron James, Amare (Stoudemire), (Emeka) Okafor . . . I want to play with guys who are really, really hungry. The young guys are really, really hungry these days."
    ------

Today and Sunday! This is about the third different way I've read how Bender is going to play in games. I really don't think they know what the heck they are doing where Bender is concerned!

canyoufeelit

Default Re: Bender returns to the lineup

Good one!

I refuse to get my hopes up until I see him play 2 games in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by Eindar
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I refuse to get my hopes up until I see him play 2 games in a row.

Man that's some low expectations...I am holding out for 82 games in a row and the playoffs. Until then I'll be waiting for the phantom injury to strike, this in all likelyhood will be right after he has his best performance (say 14 points in 12 minutes or something like that). I could care less about if he plays in the summer league, let's see if he can play in the regular season.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

that reminds me.........shouldn't Bender be getting about 7'8" and dunking from the 3-point line right now? It seems about that time of year......

Can't wait for that yearly article from the star.....

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

*yawn*
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    that reminds me.........shouldn't Bender be getting about 7'8" and dunking from the 3-point line right now? It seems about that time of year......

OR, that his domination of summer league constitutes some reason for chest thumping.

Mood

Yeah those types of articles are *almost* as tiring as your "contributions" to this board.......YAWN......

*yawn*

Man, they are right when they say yawning is contagious.

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by travmil
    Yeah those types of articles are *almost* as tiring as your "contributions" to this board.......YAWN......

i nominate this as post of the day....

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I can see this isn't going anywhere good.

I'll let you decide if I'm referring to the expected Bender-Bashing or the expected Kstat-bashing.

Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

I would jump for joy, but fear that Bender may try to mimic me and get reinjured again.

Yeah, that sounds about right. =/

Btw, shouldn't Darko be on the verge of Shaq-esque dominance right about now as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    I would jump for joy, but fear that Bender may try to mimic me and get reinjured again.
    Don't worry super hero Dan Dyrek will come to our rescue. Heard it was the first year Bendee didn't help with the Gold Rush camp down in New Orleans this summer. Said it before, it appears Bird really has come in and put the pressure on.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    I can see this isn't going anywhere good.

I'll let you decide if I'm referring to the expected Bender-Bashing or the expected Kstat-bashing.

How terribly ignorant of me.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Bender?
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Damn I wonder how our guys are playing.