Thread: Looks like Brown will be back as coach.......

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Looks like Brown will be back as coach.......

http://www.detnews.com/2005/pistons/...H01-248984.htm

Pistons, Brown are on fast track

Coach's agent says there is 'immediacy'; sides haven't discussed a contract buyout.

By Chris McCosky / The Detroit News

Brown

Brown out?

What should the Pistons do about Larry Brown?
    Have him come back as coach.
    Have him sit out a year.
    Buy him out of his contract.
    Other

Get results and comments

Comment on this story
    Send this story to a friend
    Get Home Delivery

AUBURN HILLS -- Joe Glass said he believes coach Larry Brown's fate with the Pistons will be determined "in the next couple of days."

Glass, Brown's agent, uttered those words Thursday after a short telephone conversation with Pistons president Joe Dumars.

"It seems like there is some immediacy to this process now," Glass said.

Though he would not go into details of the discussions, he did confirm the sides have not discussed a buyout of the three years and nearly $20 million left on Brown's contract.

That would seem to indicate they are working on ways to bring Brown back, but nobody would confirm that.

It is believed the Pistons have requested that a legitimate lead assistant be hired in the event Brown needs time off for health.

Again, that was neither confirmed nor denied.

"Nothing new," was Dumars' e-mail response Thursday. Discussions are expected to continue today.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Default Re: Looks like Brown will be back as coach.......

Another Pistons fan had this idea:

WIth Laimbeer suddenly pulling his name out of consideration for the Knicks job, it seems likely that my boy Lambs is likely the "lead assistant."

Meaning, if Larry leaves/quite/health fails, we have a legit X's and O's guy on the bench, more ready to take over.

And if this is true, it means Laimbeer is the likely successor to Brown.

Saunders was my #1 choice, but give Laimbeer a year or so to get experience with the team, and he could be a seamless replacement.

In some ways, this would be an ideal scenario for both the Pistons and Larry, and it eases a lot of pressure, for Brown to fight through health issues, and for the Pistons to constantly worry about Brown's future. This gives them a contengency plan.

This is all guesswork, of course, but it does seem as though they aren't discussing a buyout anymore.

Of course, my worry still stands about Larry burning out his players, but the upside is still there also. You don't put up with this level of crap from a coach you don't have confidence in.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Dammit. And now, I'm back to hoping they somehow meltdown under Brown.

We are going to lose in the ECF yet again.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Yeah, but that happens every year anyway. Dunno if it has much to do with who we play.

IndyToad
    The contrast is astounding

Yeah, that'll work great. Bill Laimbeer working "under" Larry Brown, after all this drama?

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

WIth Laimbeer suddenly pulling his name out of consideration for the Knicks job, it seems likely that my boy Lambs is likely the "lead assistant."

Meaning, if Larry leaves/quite/health fails, we have a legit X's and O's guy on the bench, more ready to take over.

Saunders was my #1 choice, but give Laimbeer a year or so to get experience with the team, and he could be a seamless replacement.

In some ways, this would be an ideal scenario for both the Pistons and Larry, and it eases a lot of pressure, for Brown to fight through health issues, and for the Pistons to constantly worry about Brown's future. This gives them a contengency plan.

This is all guesswork, of course, but it does seem as though they aren't discussing a buyout anymore.

Of course, my worry still stands about Larry burning out his players, but the upside is still there also. You don't put up with this level of crap from a coach you don't have confidence in.
    ummm...im not a pistons fan...

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/s...3&postcount=10

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Of course, my worry still stands about Larry burning out his players, but the upside is still there also. You don't put up with this level of crap from a small forward you don't have confidence in.

If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

A legitamate asst. coach huh? Mr. Heard meet The Door.

If I'm Gar...I'm gone. That is a slap in the face like no other.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer

I agree, but I'd be happy about him leaving. He is TERRIBLE as a head coach. His rotations sucked, he never seemed to adjust ANYTHING during a game, and he couldn't even call a decent timeout (maybe the easiest thing a coach has to recognize).

As for Laimbeer. I like him as an assistant, not as a head coach. His arrogance and confidence would probably work well as the #2 guy but I don't like putting a guy with no NBA coaching experience into the #1 slot of a team on a finals appearance streak.

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer

......and if that isn't enough, I'll gladly slap him in the face with the back end of a shovel. That guy is the worst coach I've ever seen. I wouldn't trust him to coach the 2nd grade. It's insulting to me to see him so much as pouring gatorade on the sidelines, let alone COACHING.

If hiring Bill makes Gar quit, that alone makes it an awesome hire......

I really do hope Laimbeer is on the bench as an assistant or coach. I just have this feeling the Pistons would experience the pain we went through the last season if this happens. You think Artest is a hot head? Look in the dictionary and you'll find Bill's name.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Quote Originally Posted by RWB
    I really do hope Laimbeer is on the bench as an assistant or coach. I just have this feeling the Pistons would experience the pain we went through the last season if this happens. You think Artest is a hot head? Look in the dictionary and you'll find Bill's name.
    The difference is, Bill played the mental game as well as anybody in history. Ron is a loose cannon. HUGE difference.

The difference is, Bill played the mental game as well as anybody in history.
    If you mean being an @sshole then we agree. Seriously I will give Bill Laimbeer credit for this. He'll even admit he's not the nicest guy and I think he kind of likes that persona.

The problem I see is if a player gives him a ration of crap, challenges his authority, I have NO doubt he is willing to meet that challenge. Laimbeer really is willing to go fistucuffs with Ben Wallace if provoked.

Now you're asking how do I know what's in the man's mind? Do I know Bill Laimbeer personally? No I do not. The only thing I can base this on is an incident I witnessed when he was a player. To many it probably doesn't mean much and people do change (for Artest's sake I hope so).

I know many have already heard this so I do apologize in advance. Back during the Pistons' Daly championship years when they would come to MSA there was always a pretty strong Piston following there. Fans leaving the game actually could get pretty close to the away team's bus. Though being a PAcer fan sometimes we would stop for a few minutes to watch the other team get on board.

This particular time there was a boisterous crowd of Piston fans waiting near the Piston bus as players were getting on. Chuck Daly, Vinnie Johnson, IThomas all came over and signed autographs with these guys and gals wearing their Piston caps and jackets. Laimbeer comes out and they're hollering Bill, Bill, Bill. He looks right at them, get's this silly ***** eating grin, and flips them off. The crowd look stunned and went dead silent. I myself thought it was funny as hell but you know being a PAcer fan that's too be expected.

The morale to the story is Laimbeer is a prick, plain and simple. As berating of a coach Larry Brown can be I can only imagine what Laimbeer may do if the right buttons are pushed. OR he's changed and could be perfect.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Gamble

HOw much respect will the players have for Brown given the fact that
    he has gave them the run around. I still believe Brown will go mid season
    with all his issues. Bill is a train reck waiting to happen. Give him the coaching
    job so i can laugh a little more.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

First off, I don't get from this article at all that Brown is coming back. And if he does, I think that's a bad decision on Detroit's part. LB is rapidly wearing out his welcome, and I could easily see an implosion next season, ala the Pacers' '97 season.

woman without a team

All I know is when they talked about this yesterday on ESPN they said Laimbeer was interested in the Seattle job.

sweabs

My feelings for Laimbeer are plain and simple: I hate him.

He is one of the most arrogant, cocky, and condescending people I have ever listened to or seen. I absolutely hate his attitude, and everything about his persona.

Therefore, if he joined the Pistons coaching staff it might actually have its benefits. Wishful thinking on my part, but not unrealistic by any means - his over-confident and superior attitudes rub off on the Pistons players, thereby giving them many of the same characteristics. We already got a taste of an over-confident Pistons team this year...under Larry Brown!

Quote Originally Posted by rcarey
    My feelings for Laimbeer are plain and simple: I hate him.

He is one of the most arrogant, cocky, and condescending people I have ever listened to or seen. I absolutely hate his attitude, and everything about his persona.

Therefore, if he joined the Pistons coaching staff it might actually have its benefits. Wishful thinking on my part, but not unrealistic by any means - his over-confident and superior attitudes rub off on the Pistons players, thereby giving them many of the same characteristics. We already got a taste of an over-confident Pistons team this year...under Larry Brown!
    Hey, Laimbeer is hated everywhere except his own team. That's always been the case, and that's why I'll always love the guy.

Bill is one of the smartest players I've ever seen. You want to believe that he's somethign that he's not, though. I'd take him as a head coach anyday. The guy is a winner, plain and simple.

I don't think any non-Piston loves Laimbeer as much as Reggie Miller. He has a lot of respect for Lambs, because he played the game with his head.

Laimbeer frustrates people because he's always very good at whatever he does. His teamates all love him though. Everyone loves to play with Bill Laimbeeer, you just hate playing against him.

I'm on the record as saying that Bill is a hell of a coach.

That said, I don't know how well he'd be as an assistant. One, I can see him and Larry butting heads. Two, you can't have your coach and the top assistant being hard asses. Players will get burnt out mighty quick.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    I'm on the record as saying that Bill is a hell of a coach.

That said, I don't know how well he'd be as an assistant. One, I can see him and Larry butting heads. Two, you can't have your coach and the top assistant being hard asses. Players will get burnt out mighty quick.
    Bill worships the dirt Larry walks on. Working with Larry would NOT be a problem.

woman without a team

Does it make me a bad person to hope that Larry and Bill try to co-exist. The fireworks would be bigger than the 4th of July. I can see the team taking sides although I'm not sure who would be on Larry's.