Thread: Foster Recovering from Hip Surgery

Hybrid View

Default Foster Recovering from Hip Surgery

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/foste...ry_050714.html

Foster Recovering from Hip Surgery

By Conrad Brunner | July 14, 2005
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Jeff Foster is on the road to recovery.
    The Pacers' center is expected to be at full strength for training camp after undergoing arthroscopic surgery on his right hip last week.

"The good news is we have two-and-a-half months before training camp," said Coach Rick Carlisle, "so we're going to take it slow and gradual and make sure, step-by-step, that we're going at the right pace."

Foster averaged career highs of 7.0 points and 9.0 rebounds last season, starting 43 of his 61 games played. He missed the first month of the regular season while recovering from surgery on the same hip.

"It went great," said Athletic Trainer Josh Corbeil. "It's going to be slow, to make sure he heals right because this is the second procedure, but he should be ready for training camp."

In 38 starts, Foster averaged 8.4 points and 9.8 rebounds. Veteran free agent Dale Davis took over as the starter for the final six weeks of the regular season and playoffs. Foster averaged 18.8 minutes, 5.9 points and 7.4 rebounds in the postseason.
    ----------

It occured to me after reading this that Foster won't be in any trades until he can pass a physical.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Default Re: Foster Recovering from Hip Surgery

Same hip huh?

Did anyone even see this coming?

So much for my belief that Foster had great trade value.

Old as Dirt

Why do all the basketball players waite a month or two after the season to go to have something operated on?

Quote Originally Posted by Old as Dirt
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why do all the basketball players waite a month or two after the season to go to have something operated on?

Because the training staff and doctors want to see if things can heal on their own with rest, and often to do that you have to wait 6 weeks or so.

Old as Dirt

ok UB thanks for the information.

Yes I saw it coming he was hobbling the whole season. He was not running as smoothly or as fast as he has in the past. He was playing injured the whole season.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't pay much attention to Foster's stats, but we was clearly hobbled all season. Although he had some games with gaudy rebound numbers, I thought he was much less effective than he was in 03-04.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Jeff will be back, he had a good season, maybe not great. He is a great role player for us, a great match with JO in the 4.

foretaz

there is no doubt in my mind that foster will be 100% this coming year...you hear all the 'being careful and taking the right amount of time to make sure hes healed' talk??? just another reason the medical staff was revamped...it was probably deemed that guys were allowed to come back to soon from injury....now while everyone understands how desperate we were for players...the fact he was allowed to come back to soon and then was reinjured, combined with some other apparent snaffus, is probably why we saw the changes made...

its also apparent people are a bit on eggshells....bird evidently has mandated that the injury thing will be better from here on out....or else...seems to be given alot of care to making guys are truly healed before theyre brought back....

i personally think bird was fed up with all the injury situations, and feels some of it couldve been avoided with better care and prognosis....given all bird went thru in his career, he certainly seems to have some very strong feelings where the subject is concerned....and i have a feeling the misdiagnosis of JT brought back memories from his own playing days...and he vowed that those sorts of things wouldnt happen anymore....JMO...

woman without a team

Um, isn't this how last season started?

Quote Originally Posted by grace
    Um, isn't this how last season started?

Ummm Let's see...
    The big question is whether Artest will be able to shelve his hotheaded ways and focus his energies on basketball. Last summer: SAME

The Pacers couldn't beat the Pistons in the playoffs so the question is if the addition of Sjax would make a difference. Last summer: SAME

There are questions about Harrison's work ethic and weight. Last summer: SAME

Foster has just had hip surgery. Last summer: SAME

Bender has knee problems but all is looking great in the media... tho he'll be held out of games. Last summer: SAME

There are questions about Tinsley's ability to run the point and his ability to stay healthy. Last summer: SAME

A draft pick that we've been told would've been a top 10 pick fell into out laps deep into the draft. Last summer: SAME

Pacers have salay cap/luxury tax concerns. Last summer: SAME

I see no comparison to last off-season.... :headinsand:

Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Mr. Optimist: He's a milk drinker, he'll be fine.

Mr. Pessimest: Yeah, he's a milk drinker, and he still needed two surgery's in less that a year on the same bone. Maybe milk ain't all it's cracked up to be.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    Mr. Optimist: He's a milk drinker, he'll be fine.

Mr. Pessimest: Yeah, he's a milk drinker, and he still needed two surgery's in less that a year on the same bone. Maybe milk ain't all it's cracked up to be.
    Mr. Obvious: I think he just has a bad hip.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    Mr. Obvious: I think he just has a bad hip.
    Just like Jonathan has a bad knee.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So, the current injury count is:

Foster - hip
    Bender - knee
    Granger - knees

At least, that's what we know of for the moment.

Mood

Granger has one bad knee, not two. If anyone, Bender should be listed as both knees.

Foster just bought a new house recently in North Harbour, Noblesville Indiana.

Basically, I live down the street from him. I literally grew up in the house that Foster is purchasing. My best friend lived there. His dad is a multi-millionaire who ran Olinger Distribution. It is a huge mansion on Morse Reservoir, right across from the dam. Kind of interesting tidbit, I thought i'd share.

I could not agree more, we are in a time warp. Every question we had 12 months ago we still have today. Nothing has changed in the past 12 months. Nothing

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well except one big one -will Reggie Miller be a big contributer to the Pacers? We know the answer to that one.

Also think since David Harrison , arrived at Rookie/free agent camp thinner dispite rehabbing his knee, he appears to have a little more desire to get in condition than we thought last year.

Danny Granger's knee does not bother me. I've had several surgeries , rehabbing is the key to them healing correctly. Granger rushed back too early ,fact the knee is 80% strength can be fixed. The more important note is its structually fine and he did no damage to it playing on it at 80%.

Agree with Diamond Dave. We've stopped asking "Will Reggie come off the bench?"
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    Agree with Diamond Dave. We've stopped asking "Will Reggie come off the bench?"

Now it is ....Will Reggie come back if it looks like we could win it all? Say, sometime in April.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

I saw Jeff today while I was out and about. I asked him how the hip was doing and he said it was doing all right......Not a very interesting story, really, but I thought I'd share it.......
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat
    I saw Jeff today while I was out and about. I asked him how the hip was doing and he said it was doing alright......Not a very interesting story, really, but I thought I'd share it.......
    Now, see, if you were more talkative like Peck you'd at least have a funny story to tell us.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    Now, see, if you were more talkative like Peck you'd at least have a funny story to tell us.
    I guess I could've gone with "Hey, I hope you're here next year", but I didn't want to upset him.......
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat
    I saw Jeff today while I was out and about. I asked him how the hip was doing and he said it was doing alright......Not a very interesting story, really, but I thought I'd share it.......

See that is the sort of inside information you just don't get any place else.