Thread: Pacers.com Q&A July 14, 2005

Default Pacers.com Q&A July 14, 2005

How are Injured Players Coming Along?

Thursday, July 14, 2005
    If you'd like to pose a Question of the Day to Conrad Brunner, submit it along with your full name and hometown to Bruno's_mailbag@pacers.com. Brunnerís opinions are his own and do not necessarily reflect those of Pacers players, coaches or management.
    QUESTION
    OF THE DAY

Conrad Brunner

Q. Can you give us an update on how everyone's injuries are coming along? Have any of the guys had any surgeries yet or do they plan to? Also, I know that (Jonathan) Bender is going to play in the summer leagues but do you know how he's looked and felt so far? Is he still kind of tentative or is he going all out, full contact? (From Matt in Indiana)

A. The two most pleasant surprises have been Bender and David Harrison. Though Bender has not been practicing with the Pacers' summer campers this week, he has been working out regularly and the reports the team has received are extremely positive. He presently is scheduled to play in two of the summer league games in Minnesota in order to test both his conditioning and his knee's ability to recover from game stress.

After missing the final month of the regular season and the playoffs due to a minor knee procedure, Harrison did a remarkable job keeping his weight down and reported to rookie camp as slim as he's been since joining the Pacers. He, too, is being brought along at a measured rate. He hasn't been going through the full-speed scrimmages but is expected to get some game action in Minnesota.

Though Danny Granger won't play in Minnesota, it's a preventive measure. He had knee surgery during his senior season at New Mexico and missed just three games before returning, thus he never was able to regain full strength in his leg. The Pacers are playing it safe with Granger because they want him at 100 percent for training camp.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers.com Q&A July 14, 2005

Everything sounds good! I'm not yet sold on Bender, though, the Pacers received reports on Bender bulking up last year in the off season, and we all know how that turned out......
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Harmonica

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twenty-three times, shame on me. I'm not buying the company line on Bender.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Harrison did a remarkable job keeping his weight down and reported to rookie camp as slim as he's been since joining the Pacers.
    I really liked this part.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm completely numb to injuries at this point. I just basically try and forget about the players who are injured as it seems that it takes them forever to get back.

And once again I'm glad to here Bender is beating the hell out of his sparring partners, but until he steps in the ring who gives a *****.
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And once again I'm glad to here Bender is beating the hell out of his sparring partners, but until he steps in the ring who gives a *****.
    Lost the softball game last night, eh?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    Lost the softball game last night, eh?
    F'n rain. It drizzled all the up till our game at 8 o'clock. Then at like 7:56 it just rips loose. They canceled the game.

Then in like 20 minutes the rain stopped.

House Sigil:

Harmonica

F'n rain. It drizzled all the up till our game at 8 o'clock. Then at like 7:56 it just rips loose. They canceled the game.

Then in like 20 minutes the rain stopped.
    I thought maybe you lost and were taking it out on Bender.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    I thought maybe you lost and were taking it out on Bender.
    Ah, no. Just like you, I'm tired of the company line.

One day karma will get me though. I'll probably screw up a knee and proceed to dominate practice for several years.

But then again I won't be getting millions of dollars to do it.

House Sigil:

Ah, no. Just like you, I'm tired of the company line.

One day karma will get me though. I'll probably screw up a knee and proceed to dominate practice for several years.

But then again I won't be getting millions of dollars to do it.

Uh oh, watch out for that dark cloud over head.

Therefore, the law of Karma teaches that responsibility for unskillful actions is born by the person who commits them.

Let's take an example of a sequence of events. An unpleasant sensation occurs. A thought arises that the source of the unpleasantness was a person. (This thought is a delusion; any decisions based upon it will therefore be unskillful.) A thought arises that some past sensations of unpleasantness issued from this same person. (This thought is a further delusion.) This is followed by a willful decision to speak words that will produce an unpleasant sensation in that which is perceived as a person. (This decision is an act of hostility. Of all the events described so far, only this is called a karma.) Words are carefully chosen in the hopes that when heard they will cause pain. The words are pronounced aloud. (This is the execution of the decision to be hostile. It may also be classed as a kind of karma, although technically it is an after-karma.) There is a visual sensation of a furrowed brow and downturned mouth. The thought arises that the other person's face is frowning. The thought arises that the other person's feelings were hurt. There is a fleeting joyful feeling of success in knowing that one has scored a damaging verbal blow. Eventually (perhaps much later) there is an unpleasant sensation of regret, perhaps taking the form of a sensation of fear that the perceived enemy may retaliate, or perhaps taking the form of remorse on having acted impetuously, like an immature child, and hping that no one will remember this childish action. (This regret or fear is the unpleasant ripening of the karma, the unskillful decision to inflict pain through words.)
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by RWB

Therefore, the law of Karma teaches that responsibility for unskillful actions is born by the person who commits them.

Let's take an example of a sequence of events. An unpleasant sensation occurs. A thought arises that the source of the unpleasantness was a person. (This thought is a delusion; any decisions based upon it will therefore be unskillful.) A thought arises that some past sensations of unpleasantness issued from this same person. (This thought is a further delusion.) This is followed by a willful decision to speak words that will produce an unpleasant sensation in that which is perceived as a person. (This decision is an act of hostility. Of all the events described so far, only this is called a karma.) Words are carefully chosen in the hopes that when heard they will cause pain. The words are pronounced aloud. (This is the execution of the decision to be hostile. It may also be classed as a kind of karma, although technically it is an after-karma.) There is a visual sensation of a furrowed brow and downturned mouth. The thought arises that the other person's face is frowning. The thought arises that the other person's feelings were hurt. There is a fleeting joyful feeling of success in knowing that one has scored a damaging verbal blow. Eventually (perhaps much later) there is an unpleasant sensation of regret, perhaps taking the form of a sensation of fear that the perceived enemy may retaliate, or perhaps taking the form of remorse on having acted impetuously, like an immature child, and hping that no one will remember this childish action. (This regret or fear is the unpleasant ripening of the karma, the unskillful decision to inflict pain through words.)

Ya know, you cops got waaaaaaaaaay too much time on yer hands.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by RWB

I'm feeling an unpleasant sensation right now.

Oh wait, I just have to use the restroom.

House Sigil:

I wish they would just get rid of Bender so we don't have to listen to this crap every year
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness
    I wish they would just get rid of Bender so we don't have to listen to this crap every year
    Careful, Jon doesn't believe in Karma, however he does believe in voodoo.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Nice sig RWB.

Glad to hear that about David, so much for his questionable "work ethic and atitude."
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?