Thread: Kwame Brown traded to LA

Default Kwame Brown traded to LA

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basket...1475463.story?

Lakers Agree to Get Brown

Team will give up Butler and either Atkins or George to acquire the former overall No. 1 pick from the Wizards.

By Mike Bresnahan, Times Staff Writer

The Lakers have taken another bold step to remake their roster, agreeing in principle on a trade that would bring forward-center Kwame Brown from the Washington Wizards and would send Caron Butler and likely Chucky Atkins to Washington.

Brown, 6 feet 11, was drafted No. 1 overall in 2001 and fell on hard times last season with the Wizards, but he has the potential to be an impact post player.

Laker General Manager Mitch Kupchak and Wizard President Ernie Grunfeld declined to comment Wednesday, but sources said the components of the deal were in place involving Brown and Butler. The Wizards could choose small forward Devean George instead of Atkins to complete the deal.

NBA teams cannot announce free-agent signings or sign-and-trade transactions until a league moratorium is lifted July 22.

Brown, 23, received two guaranteed years with a third-year option held by the team. The Lakers will not be parting with the 2006 first-round pick they received from the Miami Heat in the Shaquille O'Neal trade last July.

In 2001, Brown became the first high school player taken with the top pick in the draft, but he has been erratic and enigmatic throughout his first four seasons.

Last season, he was suspended before Game 5 of the Wizards' first-round series against the Chicago Bulls and missed seven playoff games because he had groused as his playing time decreased, claiming a stomach illness and missing a practice.

Brown was also suspended for a game last December because he reportedly walked away from the huddle during a timeout as Wizard Coach Eddie Jordan questioned his failure on a defensive assignment.

In his first two seasons, Brown clashed with aging guard Michael Jordan and former Wizard coach Doug Collins.

Brown showed traces of improvement in his third season, averaging a career-best 10.9 points and 7.4 rebounds, but he broke his right foot during a pickup game last summer and started the 2004-05 season on the injured list.

Brown was out of shape most of last season, playing only 42 games and averaging seven points and 4.9 rebounds. He was booed at home numerous times.

Off the court, Brown has been troubled, getting arrested in 2002 for driving 120 mph and again in 2003 for driving under the influence.

The Wizards are interested in Butler in the wake of losing unrestricted free-agent guard Larry Hughes to the Cleveland Cavaliers. Butler, who played small forward and shooting guard last season, was one of the Lakers' most consistent players down the stretch, averaging 21.9 points over his last 15 games.

Butler, 25, was one of three players acquired from Miami in the O'Neal trade. If the Lakers waive Brian Grant to save $30 million in luxury taxes as part of a one-time amnesty provision under the new collective bargaining agreement, Lamar Odom would be the only Laker left from the O'Neal trade.

Atkins, 30, averaged a career-best 13.6 points last season for the Lakers but his lack of size made him a poor fit for a triangle offense that has historically worked better with taller guards under Phil Jackson.

With the addition of Brown, the Lakers would have under contract Kobe Bryant, Odom, Chris Mihm, Jumaine Jones, Brian Cook, Slava Medvedenko, Sasha Vujacic, Luke Walton, Andrew Bynum and Ronny Turiaf. Atkins or George would also be under contract.

PacerNthaDesert

Default Re: Kwame Brown traded to LA

Can't believe the Lakers did this to be honest

Ah that's to bad that LA is in the position of hoping they will get lucky. I feel so really bad for them. Really, really, bad. Really I do!

Does anyone believe me? If so I have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale . . . cheap.

foretaz

maybe Zen is just what Kwame needs....

it very well could work out as a steal for the lakers....if kwame ever lives up to some of his potential...

if not...they give up two players that dont fit into their plans...so its no major loss anyway....

he has two years to get it right...

Wow! There are only 2 legit starters on that roster unless you want to include Mihm due to the lack of talent at his position. If Phil gets that squad to the playoffs he should get COY. They are going to suck with a capital S-U-C-K.

At least Kobe will get his 35 ppg on 30 shots/game and continue to stake his claim as the unquestioned "leader" of the Lakers.

This trade makes some sense both ways. Caron Butler was best when Kobe was out. There just probably isn't enough room for another offensive-minded swingman with Kobe in charge, so his value to LA is less than it is to others.

Butler seems a great fit for Washington, replacing Hughes.

Kwame was out of shape last year after the broken foot. If he stayed fat then this is a disaster for LA. If he got back in shape, he can be a good player if he has no lingering foot issues. Phil has a history of helping the headcases fit in. I can actually see him being a 15-8 guy in 2-3 years.

Also now Odom may play more SF and cause matchup problems. He's too thin to defend at PF.

Gamble

Also now Odom may play more SF and cause matchup problems. He's too thin to defend at PF.[/QUOTE]
    Good for the Wizards bad for the Lakers. You know Odom might be to
    thin to defend but he is a Laker so there shouldn't be to much problem
    there. Plus he would be to slow to defend the SF's of the world.
    PPG15.2
    RPG10.20
    APG3.7
    EFF+ 20.52

I would say this is better than K Brown any day of the week.

This a pretty good trade for Wiz. After losing Hughes, they get Butler. They still have pretty much the same team, without Kwame.
    AKA Sactolover05

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Didn't Brown hate playing with Jordan?

How happy can he be knowing he is joining Kobe?
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Great trade for the Wiz. Now they get to join every other team in the league with the exception of us, the Spurs, Pistons, and Heat in a desperate struggle for a quality big man.
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

I don't really like the trade for either team. I thought that Washington was better off developing their young players like Hayes and Blake rather than bringing in another perimeter guy. On the plus side I couldn't believe that they got a player as good as Butler for Brown.

I guess they are hoping for the next JO. But JO never got the minutes that Brown has nor had been kicked off the play off roster. I do think that Brown has talent but I don't believe that he is a winner or brings many intangibles to the table. I can't believe that is all the Lakers could get for Butler.

Sports Logo

I can believe they did this.....at worst....the guy is a 8ppg/8rpg type of guy or the next <<< shudder >>> JONeal waiting to get out of the dog house. The good thing about going to the Lakers is that ( although he has a contract to live up to ), he won't be the main guy in LaLaLand......he has Kobe to run next to. But the bad thing about going to the Lakers is that....he has Kobe << cough cough......the "Real GM">> to run next to. Kobe ( although demanding with the ball ) and may be the closest thing we have to a modernday MJ....but he won't be as demanding and ( likely ) hard on Kwame as MJ was.

I really won't be surprised if he does become a standard Double-Double type of guy....he may not fully live up to his potential as a #1 pick....but he'll probably be a solid PF/C for years to come.

But you never know....if he thinks the spotlight in Washington was bad...wait til the LakerFans start demanding that Brown conforms to the Triangle offense.

This isn't a bad trade for the Lakers. Kwame should be better than Slava or Brian Grant.

I don't really like it for the Wizarads though. Caron will not be replacing Larry Hughues. Caron is a forward who can play some SG in spot minuates. If I were them I would rather let Kwame walk and go after Flip Murry.

What the trade means is Jamison is moving back to power forward. I would have gone after just about any big man to keep Jamison at the 3.

I would not be the least bit surprised if Kwame wins MIP this season.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!