Thread: Apparently, the Heat don't want the Pistons to hog all the fun...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Apparently, the Heat don't want the Pistons to hog all the fun...

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/s...a-sports-front

SKOLNICK: Riley needs to put out the fire he started

Ethan J. Skolnick

July 13, 2005

If Pat Riley really did not recognize the flammability of a semi-provocative statement during a slow sports time, at least the Heat president has considerable experience extinguishing such fires.

So why hasn't he?

This is a man so word-conscious that, a decade after saying he "envisioned" a parade, he reminded a reporter that he had never actually "promised" one.

So why hasn't he clearly, definitively, angrily, and -- here's the key -- publicly said that Stan Van Gundy is the Heat coach for the foreseeable future? Why hasn't he listed reasons for that decision, however obvious: Van Gundy winning 101 games with two different rosters and styles, preparing his team exhaustively, rarely slipping against underdogs, and rising within a rib strain and thigh bruise of the NBA Finals? Why was Van Gundy vague about his status Monday? Why did Van Gundy's brother, Jeff, recently say strange things on WFAN, like "Stan deserves an answer" and should be given time to "hook on with another team" if the Heat doesn't want him?

At first, this controversy appeared short on credence. Even after Riley suggested June 17 he might take a more "active participation" while again speaking wistfully of coaching, the frenzied reaction seemed just a time-killing, logic-twisting, mind-numbing media obsession borne of summer boredom. "Active participation," after all, could have simply and innocuously meant serving as a sounding board for players and coaches. As such, you could understand Riley's refusal to grant subsequent sensational inquiries the dignity of thorough on-the-record responses. Further, you could understand why he wouldn't rule out any option, to avoid being accused of breaking his word if unforeseen circumstances someday warranted sideline change.

Mostly, you had to assume Riley had reassured his protégé in private.

Now we're weeks past "at first."

So is this, at last, resolved?

If Van Gundy is vague about his status? If Alonzo Mourning is saying on 760-AM Tuesday that he didn't know who would coach, but that the Heat couldn't go wrong with either?

Shouldn't they be clear, even if we're not?

While Riley's handling has been vexing, the public has responded predictably to the obvious question:

Would it be reasonable and forgivable for Riley to shove his long-time loyalist aside, now that the roster is more attractive than when he quit in October of 2003?

Of course it wouldn't be. It would be ego-driven treachery of the greatest degree. But fans and media usually side with the bigger name, so many have found a convenient rationalization to answer that question affirmatively: "Riley, as team president, must do whatever he deems in the best interests of the franchise."

Yet, why are they so certain it is in the franchise's best interests for Riley to coach?

Could there be wisdom in the current structure, with Riley focusing on supporting and equipping Van Gundy?

Could Van Gundy actually be the better coaching choice for this team at this time?

Yes, he could. Forget the pedigrees and the presentation, and consider that.

Van Gundy lost Game 7 on his home floor. Still, no one called for change when Riley lost deciding games at home in 1998, 1999 and 2000. While those Heat rosters were not as talented, Riley wasn't coaching against defending champions.

Van Gundy has made some curious in-game decisions and does not claim the strategic and motivational expertise of his master mentor. This, however, is about a process, not a single game. The locker room is far looser now, for the better. The young, athletic, quicker-paced players get more rope. Many have questioned why Van Gundy sat Dwyane Wade for the final minute of the 2004 postseason. Ask this instead: would the rookie Wade, with his defensive deficiencies, have played enough under Riley for the Heat to get that far? Would Riley have allowed go-go guards Rafer Alston and Keyon Dooling to fill critical roles? And, with a need for more athleticism in support of Shaquille O'Neal, would Riley be sufficiently patient with Qyntel Woods and Dorell Wright now?

Van Gundy's "pedal to the metal" philosophy can exasperate, such as when Wade gets garbage minutes in winter blowouts of the Clippers. This season, when the Heat clinches its soft division, it would be best if he let O'Neal escape to some remote island, far from stray knees. But who set the organizational agenda? You know who.

Van Gundy, a screamer, could channel more criticism toward his stars (as Spurs coach Gregg Popovich does) rather than role guys such as Udonis Haslem and Rasual Butler. But this controversy has only served to undermine the authority required to do that.

The story, strangely, still breathes, feeds, burns.

Extinguish it, Pat Riley.

Unless you'd rather not.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Apparently, the Heat don't want the Pistons to hog all the fun...

They talked about this on Cold Pizza this morning, and Woody Paige, I thought it was, said he thinks Riley will be the coach of the Heat next year.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

The guy isn't that great of a coach IMO.

[Hubie] You have to love that the two teams in the East that may be better than us have a little bit of coaching turmoil. [/Hubie]
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

canyoufeelit

Quote Originally Posted by Moses
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The guy isn't that great of a coach IMO.
    Code:
                        Reg Season      Playoffs   
     Year  Tm   Lg      W    L  WPct    W   L  WPct 
    +--------------+-----+----+-----+----+---+-----+
     1982  LAL  NBA    50   21  .704   12   2  .857
     1983  LAL  NBA    58   24  .707    8   7  .533
     1984  LAL  NBA    54   28  .659   14   7  .667
     1985  LAL  NBA    62   20  .756   15   4  .789
     1986  LAL  NBA    62   20  .756    8   6  .571
     1987  LAL  NBA    65   17  .793   15   3  .833
     1988  LAL  NBA    62   20  .756   15   9  .625
     1989  LAL  NBA    57   25  .695   11   4  .733
     1990  LAL  NBA    63   19  .768    4   5  .444
     1992  NYK  NBA    51   31  .622    6   6  .500
     1993  NYK  NBA    60   22  .732    9   6  .600
     1994  NYK  NBA    57   25  .695   14  11  .560
     1995  NYK  NBA    55   27  .671    6   5  .545
     1996  MIA  NBA    42   40  .512    0   3  .000
     1997  MIA  NBA    61   21  .744    8   9  .471
     1998  MIA  NBA    55   27  .671    2   3  .400
     1999  MIA  NBA    33   17  .660    2   3  .400
     2000  MIA  NBA    52   30  .634    6   4  .600
     2001  MIA  NBA    50   32  .610    0   3  .000
     2002  MIA  NBA    36   46  .439
     2003  MIA  NBA    25   57  .305
     21 Seasons      1110  569  .661  155 100  .608

This is strictly media-created crap. Between this and The Hateable Dan LeBatard starting that "Nash won MVP because he's white" bull****, I'd have to say their local media is pretty irresponsible.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

woman without a team

Well, yesterday on ESPN Jack Ramsey said he'd heard through his sources that Riley would be back on the bench. Of course Jack is older than snot and most probably more than a little senile.

If Jack has sources anywhere, I would think they'd be in Miami.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by canyoufeelit
    Code:
                        Reg Season      Playoffs   
     Year  Tm   Lg      W    L  WPct    W   L  WPct 
     1982  LAL  NBA    50   21  .704   12   2  .857
     1983  LAL  NBA    58   24  .707    8   7  .533
     1984  LAL  NBA    54   28  .659   14   7  .667
     1985  LAL  NBA    62   20  .756   15   4  .789
     1986  LAL  NBA    62   20  .756    8   6  .571
     1987  LAL  NBA    65   17  .793   15   3  .833
     1988  LAL  NBA    62   20  .756   15   9  .625
     1989  LAL  NBA    57   25  .695   11   4  .733
     1990  LAL  NBA    63   19  .768    4   5  .444
     1992  NYK  NBA    51   31  .622    6   6  .500
     1993  NYK  NBA    60   22  .732    9   6  .600
     1994  NYK  NBA    57   25  .695   14  11  .560
     1995  NYK  NBA    55   27  .671    6   5  .545
     1996  MIA  NBA    42   40  .512    0   3  .000
     1997  MIA  NBA    61   21  .744    8   9  .471
     1998  MIA  NBA    55   27  .671    2   3  .400
     1999  MIA  NBA    33   17  .660    2   3  .400
     2000  MIA  NBA    52   30  .634    6   4  .600
     2001  MIA  NBA    50   32  .610    0   3  .000
     2002  MIA  NBA    36   46  .439
     2003  MIA  NBA    25   57  .305
     21 Seasons      1110  569  .661  155 100  .608
    Firstly, I think he was referring to SVG.

Secondly, all you have to look at there is Riley's last two seasons. 61-103, with no playoff appearances? Yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    This is strictly media-created crap. Between this and The Hateable Dan LeBatard starting that "Nash won MVP because he's white" bull****, I'd have to say their local media is pretty irresponsible.
    You can call them irresponsible if you want but at least they aren't rabbits w/pancakes on their collective heads. Riley himself is the one that started this whole mess so if the media is being irresponsible why doesn't Riley come out and say publicly and unequivically that he was misquoted and that he will not coach and that SVG will?

BTW I agree that Lebatard can be a jerk, mainly because he's non-conforming and always willing to ask questions just to get a rise out of people, but his radio show is hilarious. Check out 790 AM The Ticket M-F from 4-7 ET.
    http://www.790theticket.com/main.cfm...on&item=events

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Is it sick that I enjoy it when our rivals become mired in controversy and distraction?

Neither the Pistons nor the Heat know who's going to coach them, and I have a spring in my step.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles
    Is it sick that I enjoy it when our rivals become mired in controversy and distraction?

Neither the Pistons nor the Heat know who's going to coach them, and I have a spring in my step.
    Easy there Riverdance.

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles

do u notice a common denominator in all this???

arrogance...ego...from ownership and/or top brass....

riley and his ego has created the drama in miami....

davidson, wilson and company's arrogance and ego has created the problem in detroit...

we are very very fortunate to have simons as the owners and donnie and larry driving our ship....

Quote Originally Posted by foretaz

davidson, wilson and company's arrogance and ego has created the problem in detroit...

we are very very fortunate to have simons as the owners and donnie and larry driving our ship....
    AMEN!

Yes, because the Pistons have just gone down the toilet under Davidson

I pray every night that Davidson sells the team, so we don't have to put up with these putried championship seasons ever again. I mean, when you keep reaching the finals, it gets boring.....

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

This seems awfully familiar to the Popovich/ Bo Hill situation a decade ago or so - wait until the team gets a lot better, then fire a good up-and-coming coach and name yourself the coach.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    Yes, because the Pistons have just gone down the toilet under Davidson

I pray every night that Davidson sells the team, so we don't have to put up with these putried championship seasons ever again. I mean, when you keep reaching the finals, it gets boring.....

i think relief is on the horizon then.... all ur wishes are about to come true....davidson will remain the owner....and u will never have to worry about championship seasons or making it to the finals again....therefore....no more boredom....and i think mr. r. wallace will make sure its anything but boring this coming year....if not there is always big ben and his flying headband trick

i think relief is on the horizon then.... all ur wishes are about to come true....davidson will remain the owner....and u will never have to worry about championship seasons or making it to the finals again....therefore....no more boredom....and i think mr. r. wallace will make sure its anything but boring this coming year....if not there is always big ben and his flying headband trick

Yes, Davidson and his three championships will remain our owner....darn.

Maybe if the Pistons are lucky, we will win 2, maybe 3 games this year, while the mighty pacers, on the way to their 82-0 season, graciously allow us to score 5 points per game against them. The Pistons are a horrible team with a horrible owner that doesn't allow them to win. The Pacers are a team of perfect hall-of-famers, and the greatest organization in the history of the universe...... yeah, we all know.

Writerman part III, ladies and gentlemen.

By the way, in your infinate wisdom, oh great one, it is SO insulting that you compare Davidson to Al Davis, who runs the winningest franchise in the history of sports....well, next to the Simons and the perfect Pacers, who have never lost a game in the history of the world, that is.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm busy playing NBA live. I recently benched Magic Johnson in favor of Jerry West at PG. Perhaps his superior point guard skills will better suit my team.

Maybe if the Pistons are lucky, we will win 2, maybe 3 games this year, while the mighty pacers, on the way to their 82-0 season, graciously allow us to score 5 points per game against them. The Pistons are a horrible team with a horrible owner that doesn't allow them to win. The Pacers are a team of perfect hall-of-famers, and the rgeatsest organization in the history of the universe......
    See? That wasn't so hard, was it?

foretaz

Yes, Davidson and his three championships will remain our owner....darn.

Maybe if the Pistons are lucky, we will win 2, maybe 3 games this year, while the mighty pacers, on the way to their 82-0 season, graciously allow us to score 5 points per game against them. The Pistons are a horrible team with a horrible owner that doesn't allow them to win. The Pacers are a team of perfect hall-of-famers, and the greatest organization in the history of the universe...... yeah, we all know.

Writerman part III, ladies and gentlemen.

By the way, in your infinate wisdom, oh great one, it is SO insulting that you compare Davidson to Al Davis, who runs the winningest franchise in the history of sports....well, next to the Simons and the perfect Pacers, who have never lost a game in the history of the world, that is.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm busy playing NBA live. I recently benched Magic Johnson in favor of Jerry West at PG. Perhaps his superior point guard skills will better suit my team.
    based on ur comments im a bit surprised u didnt put wilt in at the point...if so u couldve left magic in to play center...i seem to remember the lakers winning a title with him doing that...hmmm...wonder if that makes him a better center than lanier

as far as winningnest franchise in sports....that sounds like a subject for the sports pub...

Writerman
    Damn K, kill the guy's family in front of him, but don't compare him to the big W. That's just mean.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    Damn K, kill the guy's family in front of him, but don't compare him to the big W. That's just mean.
    No, he's definately Writerman's reincarnation. If it wasn't for the different font, i'd have made this comparison a lot sooner. He makes the same exact uber-homer comments Writerman used to make.

No, he's definately Writerman's reincarnation. If it wasn't for the different font, i'd have made this comparison a lot sooner. He makes the same exact uber-homer comments Writerman used to make.
    I guess it takes one to know one
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!