Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Danny Ainge finally blows his load and gets....Kyrie Irving?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Danny Ainge finally blows his load and gets....Kyrie Irving?

I think it comes down to this, the Celtics gave up:

- A guy that played better than Kyrie last year (Is slightly older & contract is up this year, so he has less value).
    - One of the league's better role players, and one that showed up in the playoffs, that can do a lot of dirty work and hit 3s well enough.
    - A really solid prospect in Zizic, who's 6'11 or 7' with a nice frame and athleticism (23rd in the draft).
    - As well as the draft pick of a team that looks like a sure bet for bottom 5 in the NBA next year, in one of the most hyped drafts (it is extremely early) of the last decade.

I think it is entirely too much. I think Kyrie is an Incredibly talented offensive player (and a guy I trust more than IT in the playoffs) with defensive issues on a roster of guys with offensive talent that aren't anything special, to say the least, on defense. And a roster that has serious frontcourt worries. I think they will find someone on a vet minimum that will fix that a bit though. All of this while giving your competition something they've been looking for in another capable wing, and a guy that can take some pressure off of the best player in the world.

Overall, I think the Celtics are in a weird position. I felt they should have kept it together and been comfy establishing a real winning culture, kept their draft picks, and been the better version of the 6ers in a few years, with key veterans to continue guiding. Alternatively, I think they should have went for some of the better players that have been available over the past couple of seasons, that would have cost significantly less. Especially Jimmy B.

Overall, I think the Celtics are going to be fine, but I do think they could have had the best team in the NBA in a year or two had they played their cards a bit better.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ichi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think it comes down to this, the Celtics gave up:

- A guy that played better than Kyrie last year (Is slightly older & contract is up this year, so he has less value).
    - One of the league's better role players, and one that showed up in the playoffs, that can do a lot of dirty work and hit 3s well enough.
    - A really solid prospect in Zizic, who's 6'11 or 7' with a nice frame and athleticism (23rd in the draft).
    - As well as the draft pick of a team that looks like a sure bet for bottom 5 in the NBA next year, in one of the most hyped drafts (it is extremely early) of the last decade.

I think it is entirely too much. I think Kyrie is an Incredibly talented offensive player (and a guy I trust more than IT in the playoffs) with defensive issues on a roster of guys with offensive talent that aren't anything special, to say the least, on defense. And a roster that has serious frontcourt worries. I think they will find someone on a vet minimum that will fix that a bit though. All of this while giving your competition something they've been looking for in another capable wing, and a guy that can take some pressure off of the best player in the world.

Overall, I think the Celtics are in a weird position. I felt they should have kept it together and been comfy establishing a real winning culture, kept their draft picks, and been the better version of the 6ers in a few years, with key veterans to continue guiding. Alternatively, I think they should have went for some of the better players that have been available over the past couple of seasons, that would have cost significantly less. Especially Jimmy B.

Overall, I think the Celtics are going to be fine, but I do think they could have had the best team in the NBA in a year or two had they played their cards a bit better.
    The thing is they have so many assets...they could still go and get an Anthony Davis if he's ever available; Lakers/76ers pick, Memphis pick, LAC pick...they could dump Tatum or Brown it's not like they got rid of everything. They weren't going to keep IT so they upgraded in the short and long term with Kyrie.

And also, I think secretly the Celtics brass doesn't care that much about next season...if they beat Cleveland and get to the Finals awesome, if they don't oh well LeBron will go to LA the next summer then they can focus on dominating the next phase of the Eastern Conference...
    Last edited by Cactus Jax; 08-25-2017 at 10:05 PM.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cactus Jax For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jax View Post
    The thing is they have so many assets...they could still go and get an Anthony Davis if he's ever available; Lakers/76ers pick, Memphis pick, LAC pick...they could dump Tatum or Brown it's not like they got rid of everything. They weren't going to keep IT so they upgraded in the short and long term with Kyrie.

And also, I think secretly the Celtics brass doesn't care that much about next season...if they beat Cleveland and get to the Finals awesome, if they don't oh well LeBron will go to LA the next summer then they can focus on dominating the next phase of the Eastern Conference...
    Well Kyrie only has two years left on his contract, but if he stays, then they've more than likely made nice upgrade at point guard. If they pull in someone to help that frontcourt, it's a different conversation though, you are right. I still can't help but to think they'd be much better off with Jimmy Butler, who went for considerably less.

celticsblog comments section is at least 75% negative...my favorite comment: "Literally just throwing away the heart and soul of the team in IT and Jae for a f****ing flat earther"

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    celticsblog comments section is at least 75% negative...my favorite comment: "Literally just throwing away the heart and soul of the team in IT and Jae for a f****ing flat earther"
    Good to know. I imagined most Celtics fans would hate giving up so much and helping your only challenge in the East.

Sports Logo

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

LULZ
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "

The NBA once again is asleep at the switch. For the second time in a year, we've had a trade where a team has tried to pawn an injured player off on another team. Houston did it last season with the Motiejunas trade. Now it's Boston with IT. Teams who try and trade severely injured players knowing full well of said injury should be fined and stripped of draft picks. The NBA isn't exactly the boy scouts (obviously), but trying to give damaged goods to a team in exchange for their players who're in good or great condition is a serious breach of trust within the NBA fraternity and could be labeled as shady business practices.

Sports Logo

Long winded response to freddielewis14:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Short Version response to freddielewis14:

Spoiler Spoiler:
    Last edited by CableKC; 08-26-2017 at 01:03 AM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    The NBA once again is asleep at the switch. For the second time in a year, we've had a trade where a team has tried to pawn an injured player off on another team. Houston did it last season with the Motiejunas trade. Now it's Boston with IT. Teams who try and trade severely injured players knowing full well of said injury should be fined and stripped of draft picks. The NBA isn't exactly the boy scouts (obviously), but trying to give damaged goods to a team in exchange for their players who're in good or great condition is a serious breach of trust within the NBA fraternity and could be labeled as shady business practices.
    Each player takes a physical, and teams can void the trade if they don't like the results of the physical for any of the players involved in the trade. That's exactly what happened with Motiejunas (it happened with Tyson Chandler a few years back).

It's not like Thomas' hip injury was a secret. Maybe that's why the Celtics gave Cleveland the Nets pick.
    #DBAP

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:

For the second time in a year, we've had a trade where a team has tried to pawn an injured player off on another team.
    It's like buying a used car. Some people get all giddy over a shiny car and don't bother checking the important stuff like the drivetrain. A week or so later, the realize exactly what they bought. Buyer beware applies here too. At least the NBA has a decent return policy in place.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

If this doesn't go through it's going to be funny to see the fan bases flip flop yet again on the players worth and talent.

I feel bad for IT in all of this. Likable, loyal guy works hard to become an MVP candidate after being the 60th pick, plays through injuries and the death of his sister, then has to go through this ****.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to freddielewis14 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by freddielewis14 View Post
    If this doesn't go through it's going to be funny to see the fan bases flip flop yet again on the players worth and talent.

I feel bad for IT in all of this. Likable, loyal guy works hard to become an MVP candidate after being the 60th pick, plays through injuries and the death of his sister, then has to go through this ****.
    They should be happy. According to some people, they overpaid for Irving anyways.

Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    They should be happy. According to some people, they overpaid for Irving anyways.
    Yes, but...

If the trade falls apart, Boston would almost certainly have to find another destination for Thomas. When teams already know that Boston doesn't want to keep him long term, plus the injury red flag of the Cavs turning him down. They might end up having to keep him for the year, which at the very least is going to be a huge distraction.

For the Cavs, on the surface their situation doesn't look good but if they're turning down the Boston deal then they must have a 2nd offer in hand, like perhaps the rumored Bucks' deal.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    Each player takes a physical, and teams can void the trade if they don't like the results of the physical for any of the players involved in the trade. That's exactly what happened with Motiejunas (it happened with Tyson Chandler a few years back).

It's not like Thomas' hip injury was a secret. Maybe that's why the Celtics gave Cleveland the Nets pick.
    Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    It's like buying a used car. Some people get all giddy over a shiny car and don't bother checking the important stuff like the drivetrain. A week or so later, the realize exactly what they bought. Buyer beware applies here too. At least the NBA has a decent return policy in place.

Noted. However, when you sell on sites like Amazon and Ebay there is a seller agreement contract. If your items get flagged, returned or reported too many times your account is eventually suspended. At some point, teams should have to pay some sort of penalty for this beyond taking back the players they tried to trade.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Grimp I am very entertained by you, but you have the worst case of Sunny logic I've ever seen in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Grimp I am very entertained by you, but you have the worst case of Sunny logic I've ever seen in my life.

You don't think NBA executives should be forced to honor a fair trade system? It's one thing to rip off a team in terms of a lop-sided deal (Nets Celtics draft picks), but it's a whole nother thing to be pawning off damaged goods. In the outside-the-NBA world, many businesses have been sued, had their licenses taken away, or banned from doing business in certain states for these practices.

Sports Logo

You don't think NBA executives should be forced to honor a fair trade system? It's one thing to rip off a team in terms of a lop-sided deal (Nets Celtics draft picks), but it's a whole nother thing to be pawning off damaged goods. In the outside-the-NBA world, many businesses have been sued, had their licenses taken away, or banned from doing business in certain states for these practices.
    "Pawning off Players" implies that the Celtics were trying to pull a fast one on the Cavs. It's not like it's not known that IT wasn't healthy nor injuried toward the end of the Playoffs. This wasn't a secret that the Celtics were desperately trying to hide from the Cavs....it's a known fact. The Cavs knew that going in and accepted the trade offer going into the negotiations based off of that knowledge.

Trades in the NBA ( or in Professional sports ) isn't the same as buying and selling goods on EBay and Amazon. We're not talking about some guy going onto his computer and buying something off of some guy in some garage making conterfeit collectibles. We are talking about Professional Sports Teams that are part of a Billion Dollar Professional League with rules and regulations that have existed for decades.

As for the extent of the injuries and protecting the receiving Team from any unforeseen and unknown injuries after a trade is accepted.....that's what the physicals are for. All trades are dependent on passing whatever physical that Players have to pass.
    Last edited by CableKC; 08-26-2017 at 08:49 PM.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    "Pawning off Players" implies that the Celtics were trying to pull a fast one on the Cavs. It's not like it's not known that IT wasn't healthy nor injuried toward the end of the Playoffs. This wasn't a secret that the Celtics were desperately trying to hide from the Cavs....it's a known fact. The Cavs knew that going in and accepted the trade offer going into the negotiations based off of that knowledge.

Regarding the extent of the injuries and protecting the receiving Team from any unforeseen and unknown injuries after a trade is accepted.....that's what the physicals are for. All trades are dependent on passing whatever physical that Players have to pass.

Most of the NBA sites are saying Ainge tried to sneak IT's hip past Cleveland. Seems he has a torn labrum.

Sports Logo

Most of the NBA sites are saying Ainge tried to sneak IT's hip past Cleveland. Seems he has a torn labrum.
    Well, that's what the physicals and whatever trade rules that are in place to protect situations like this when unknown injuries are discovered.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

The NBA doesn't need a fair trade system, not really. There are only 30 teams and every team knows who the shady dealers are. Anyone going into a trade situation with Boston knows they have to be extra careful about stuff like this. Pretty sure the Cleveland doctors were told to be through about the exam. Willing to bet that every team has a list of who is a straight dealer and who isn't. There just aren't enough teams to create the necessity of a rule beyond what they have.

Sports Logo

Yet, Anige was an idiot for trying to get rid of that player....

Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

32. The Following User Says Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

This is ridiculous.

The Cavs did the deal for the pick anyway. They won't get offered a better one.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post: