http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2106963

Updated: July 13, 2005, 1:30 PM ET
Brown still coach, but future unresolved

DETROIT -- Larry Brown had a face-to-face meeting with the Detroit Pistons for the first time this month, and his future is still not resolved.

Brown, his agent, team owner Bill Davidson and president of basketball operations Joe Dumars got together Wednesday morning, and decided they need to talk again.

"The four of them had an open discussion," Pistons spokesman Matt Dobek said. "They decided that both sides have a clearer understanding of the situation and decided to discuss this again Thursday via phone."

Brown's agent, Joe Glass, and Dumars have spoken at least twice since the Hall of Fame coach checked out of a hospital almost two weeks ago. Brown had been resting, on doctor's orders, at his vacation home in New York before flying to his home in suburban Detroit on Wednesday.

The morning after the NBA draft, Brown was hospitalized for two days to address a medical problem that developed from complications following hip surgery in November and didn't go away after a second procedure in March.

The 64-year-old Brown has said if doctors deem him healthy enough, he wants to return next season to Detroit -- and insists he will not coach another NBA team. The Pistons have said they would welcome Brown back, if he's willing to return.

Brown has declined, during two interviews with The Associated Press, to say whether he would want to continue coaching if the medical problem persists.

Last year, Brown became the first coach to win NBA and NCAA championships. He won the college title with Kansas in 1988.

The Pistons came up short in their bid to repeat this season, losing to San Antonio in Game 7 of the NBA Finals last month.

Brown signed a five-year contract worth about $25 million, plus incentive bonuses, two years ago.

im guessing it went something like this...

LB....i honestly want to coach the pistons next year...right now, i m really fired up about trying to win the title again, we were so close....

BD...but larry, what about all this cleveland crap....

LB...all i can say is what ive said all along....i truly want to coach the pistons next year....

BD...but larry, what about all this knicks crap....

LB....all i can say is, i just want to coach the pistons next year...i really think we can win the title again...

BD...larry, u really expect us to buy this crap? especially given ur track record???

LB...bill, all i can say is ive been cleared to coach, and i want nothing else than to coach the pistons next year....

BD...and if we decide we dont want u back?

LB...it would really really hurt....i love my guys...ive never been as close to or loved a group as much as i do these guys....

BD...so u wouldnt coach the knicks?

LB...i couldnt even think about that....all i can think about is not being around the guys i love....

JD....ok, larry, bill, why dont we get back together tomorrow, give us all a chance to think about things....

(meeting ends)

BD....Joe, i want the sob gone....

JD...u know he will coach the knicks

BD...i dont give a *****...i want him gone...

JD...it will cost us a lot of cash

BD...i dont give a crap....ive got more money than i know what to do with...i want him gone...fire him and start a rumor that he insulted my secretary and his wife shelly is a beotch...

JD...but bill, i just

BD...do it ******* it

JD...yes sir

(meanwhile)

JG....larry, u were great...theyve got no choice but to fire u now...

LB...you know , Joe, im really gonna miss these guys...

JG...yea i know...but hey...u won the title...

LB...yea..ur right...oh..and go ahead and call isiah....tell him if all goes as planned we should be able to get together on friday for lunch...