Thread: Larry Brown Update-Day 3 update

Hybrid View

foretaz

Default Larry Brown Update-Day 3 update

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2106963

Updated: July 13, 2005, 1:30 PM ET
    Brown still coach, but future unresolved

DETROIT -- Larry Brown had a face-to-face meeting with the Detroit Pistons for the first time this month, and his future is still not resolved.

Brown, his agent, team owner Bill Davidson and president of basketball operations Joe Dumars got together Wednesday morning, and decided they need to talk again.

"The four of them had an open discussion," Pistons spokesman Matt Dobek said. "They decided that both sides have a clearer understanding of the situation and decided to discuss this again Thursday via phone."

Brown's agent, Joe Glass, and Dumars have spoken at least twice since the Hall of Fame coach checked out of a hospital almost two weeks ago. Brown had been resting, on doctor's orders, at his vacation home in New York before flying to his home in suburban Detroit on Wednesday.

The morning after the NBA draft, Brown was hospitalized for two days to address a medical problem that developed from complications following hip surgery in November and didn't go away after a second procedure in March.

The 64-year-old Brown has said if doctors deem him healthy enough, he wants to return next season to Detroit -- and insists he will not coach another NBA team. The Pistons have said they would welcome Brown back, if he's willing to return.

Brown has declined, during two interviews with The Associated Press, to say whether he would want to continue coaching if the medical problem persists.

Last year, Brown became the first coach to win NBA and NCAA championships. He won the college title with Kansas in 1988.

The Pistons came up short in their bid to repeat this season, losing to San Antonio in Game 7 of the NBA Finals last month.

Brown signed a five-year contract worth about $25 million, plus incentive bonuses, two years ago.

im guessing it went something like this...

LB....i honestly want to coach the pistons next year...right now, i m really fired up about trying to win the title again, we were so close....

BD...but larry, what about all this cleveland crap....

LB...all i can say is what ive said all along....i truly want to coach the pistons next year....

BD...but larry, what about all this knicks crap....

LB....all i can say is, i just want to coach the pistons next year...i really think we can win the title again...

BD...larry, u really expect us to buy this crap? especially given ur track record???

LB...bill, all i can say is ive been cleared to coach, and i want nothing else than to coach the pistons next year....

BD...and if we decide we dont want u back?

LB...it would really really hurt....i love my guys...ive never been as close to or loved a group as much as i do these guys....

BD...so u wouldnt coach the knicks?

LB...i couldnt even think about that....all i can think about is not being around the guys i love....

JD....ok, larry, bill, why dont we get back together tomorrow, give us all a chance to think about things....

(meeting ends)

BD....Joe, i want the sob gone....

JD...u know he will coach the knicks

BD...i dont give a *****...i want him gone...

JD...it will cost us a lot of cash

BD...i dont give a crap....ive got more money than i know what to do with...i want him gone...fire him and start a rumor that he insulted my secretary and his wife shelly is a beotch...

JD...but bill, i just

BD...do it ******* it

JD...yes sir

(meanwhile)

JG....larry, u were great...theyve got no choice but to fire u now...

LB...you know , Joe, im really gonna miss these guys...

JG...yea i know...but hey...u won the title...

LB...yea..ur right...oh..and go ahead and call isiah....tell him if all goes as planned we should be able to get together on friday for lunch...

Gamble

Default Re: Larry Brown Update

WEll i thought everything was going to be cleared up today Kstat?
    This is a joke, all one big laughable joke. Brown is going to go relax pool
    side for a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    WEll i thought everything was going to be cleared up today Kstat?
    This is a joke, all one big laughable joke. Brown is going to go relax pool
    side for a year.

I agree. I think Detroit is going to call Brown and say they decided to go in a different direction. Brown will then set out a year or half a year and then coach again.

I don't understand. Why do they need to wait until tomorrow and talk on the phone when they were talking face-to-face. Guess somebody doesn't have the balls to fire him to his face.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Gamble

No its probably bc there trying to find a good way of saying, YOUR FIRED,
    without sounding like they owe him money.

foretaz

naaaa...theyre probably trying to get one of the secretaries to say something disparaging about him

Gamble

ThAT shouldn't be hard. He is like 64.

foretaz

so what time today do we get the announcement that Brown has been fired??

do they announce the saunders hiring today?? or wait a few days??

does larry answer no comment regarding the knicks?

or does he say hes not interested, only to sign within the week

foretaz

hmmmm....no word out of detroit today....

wonder what that means....

they waiting to get flip in town and make the announcement that hes been hired as the new coach?

they haggling with larry browns agent over the buyout details?

calm before the storm???

Default Re: Larry Brown Update-Day 2

Why fire him? If they are going to have to pay him anyway with the contract could they make him the coach with no responsibility so he had to quit? Not sure hoe these contracts are, but it seems like they should be able to make him do nothing if he wants to make the money.

Pure spectulation forthcoming.

Detroit team owner Bill Davidson could buy Larry Brown out with the stipulation that he can't coach New York next year. However, he knows that Isiah Thomas is waiting to see what happens with Larry Brown before he officially hires Williams to coach the Knicks.

Since Davidson doesn't like Isiah it could be nothing will be announced. Larry Brown has already said he thinks he will be back in Detroit, that might be all the news forcoming. After all Larry Brown is still under contract to Detroit, so nothing really has to be done.

Thus Isiah is left waiting and put on the hot seat on hiring a coach for New York.

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pure spectulation forthcoming.

Detroit team owner Bill Davidson could buy Larry Brown out with the stipulation that he can't coach New York next year. However, he knows that Isiah Thomas is waiting to see what happens with Larry Brown before he officially hires Williams to coach the Knicks.

Since Davidson doesn't like Isiah it could be nothing will be announced. Larry Brown has already said he thinks he will be back in Detroit, that might be all the news forcoming. After all Larry Brown is still under contract to Detroit, so nothing really has to be done.

Thus Isiah is left waiting and put on the hot seat on hiring a coach for New York.

and its quite apparent zeke is prepared to wait quite some time before hiring a coach....

i think the pistons are trying to figure out a way to get rid of him while saving some sort of face and satisfy their arrogant attitudes as well....

i wouldnt be surprised if browns camp has offered to let them off the hook for the rest of the contract....

probably saying he just has to have the time off and will probably sit out next season due to health reasons....

but if the pistons do that...brown could turn right around and coach the knicks....and i think brown coaching the knicks would pi$$ off the arrogant pistons brass, specifically wilson and especially davidson so much, that they cant live with that...

i truly believe theyre gonna get rid of him no matter what....they just cant figure out a way to do it that will satisfy their enormous ego....i have a feeling they would pay the remainder of his salary if he would just guarantee he wouldnt coach or be with any organization next year...and he wont do it...and like i said....probably volunteered to go separate ways and no more money changes hands....and frankly the pistons cant live with that, which is comical....they dont want to be one upped by larry brown...i mean get real...its obviously personal....its not like the knicks would be a contender...

foretaz

i think larry is just begging them to fire him....every word out of his mouth i think just pi$$es davidson off to no end....just like twisting the knife over and over....i think hes gotem....and it just drives davidson crazy

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2108262

Updated: July 15, 2005, 9:55 AM ET
    Brown says he has no intention of retiring

Larry Brown wants to return to the Detroit Pistons if owner Bill Davidson will have him back. If not, he wants to move on.

"My thing has never changed. I want to coach Detroit, and I expressed that to them," Brown said of his meeting Wednesday in suburban Detroit with Davidson, team president Joe Dumars and Brown's agent, Joe Glass. "Now Mr. D and Joe just have to talk to Mr. Glass and decide what they want to do.

"I want them to be comfortable. I don't want to retire, but I want to move forward," Brown said.

In a telephone interview Thursday night with The Associated Press, Brown again described the meeting as positive and said he was relieved to have an opportunity to address numerous issues with Davidson. Among the topics were Brown's health, and how the team might respond if Brown is again forced to miss time as he did last season when Gar Heard guided the team for 17 games while Brown underwent surgery.

Brown developed a bladder problem after having hip surgery, and he said during the NBA playoffs that he would not want to coach again with his current medical condition.

He sought treatment in late June at the Mayo Clinic, and Brown still does not know if his bladder disorder can be corrected. But in his interview with the AP, Brown sounded much more open to the idea of learning to live with the discomfort while continuing to coach.

Dumars has said Detroit would welcome Brown back if he's willing to return, but Davidson is believed to have been bothered by Brown's flirtations with the Cleveland Cavaliers and his comments over the winter to a New York tabloid that coaching the Knicks would be a dream job.

The Knicks have been awaiting a resolution of Brown's status with the Pistons, and they presumably would make a strong pitch to bring him aboard if Detroit decides not to bring him back.

Knicks president Isiah Thomas had a falling out with Davidson years ago, and the Pistons' owner would clearly not relish the prospect of Brown joining Thomas in New York.

The Pistons signed Brown to a five-year contract worth about $25 million, plus incentive bonuses, two years ago.

"I'm confident I'll be back, but you never know," Brown said. "Whatever happens will be for the best of the franchise, and that's the important thing."

Brown, who said he has not had any conversations with anyone representing the Knicks, expects to know his status with the Pistons "by Monday at the latest."

"I hope I can continue to coach, but if not I'll hang out with my kids," Brown said.

Pistons spokesman Matt Dobek said talks between Dumars and Glass were continuing, and there was no other news to report.

Brown held discussions with the Cavaliers in the spring about the possibility of becoming team president, though he steadfastly maintained he was only looking for a fallback plan of his own in the event his medical condition precluded him from coaching. The Cavs hired Danny Ferry as their general manager last month, and owner Dan Gilbert assured Ferry he would have complete control.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Larry Brown Update-Day 3 update

Monday at the latest, eh? We shall soon see what transpires.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Larry Brown Update-Day 3 update

Nothing as of yet...