Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hate the beach...

Hybrid View

Default Hate the beach...

Just came back from a week of family reunion (in-laws) in Cancun.

Clearly, some people just love the beach, the sun, the salt water, etc. But I HATE it. I think the beach is the most boring thing in the world, plus its waaaay too hot, plus you've always got either lotion or sunburn or sunscreen or something all over you. Plus sand everywhere, you can't ever wash it all off. Granted, there is a lot of eye candy around, but there's also a lot of really ugly overweight people in skimpy outfits (I won't mention which category I fall into...). The food's great, as long as you avoid the american chains - but then you have to worry about germs and diareahha (SP?).

All things considered, I'd rather just stay home and rent some movies.
    "If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you." - Jack Handy

Default Re: Hate the beach...

Just so there's balance in the universe -- I love the beach.
    It's relaxing and warm. I take a nap or read a book and just listen to the waves. I go where there are few other people to bug you, but then I also go in Jan or Feb when an 80 degree day is heaven. I do agree about the lotion and the sweatiness. And you left out about the bugs that bite.

And nobody knows how to spell diarrhea anyhow, maybe not even Webster. Many many years ago when I was a federal employee at a boring job, I would sometimes call in sick and I would always tell them I had diarrhea, even if it was something else, because they had to fill out a form and nobody could spell it. Then the next day my first chore was to sign the form and I could always start my day with a chuckle.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Knucklehead Warrior
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And you left out about the bugs that bite.
    Yea, that part sucks. One thing that I'm not to fond of is the threat of jelly fish.

The only thing I don't like about the beach is when you get sand everywhere. Not a big fan of it.

I'm used to the heat so that doesn't bother me, but I love going out in the waves. I would never buy a house near the beach due to the threat of having it blown away in hurricanes.

Overall, I like the beach. Just have to work on that sand part, but unfortunately I think it's going to be around for awhile.

I went to Cancun last year and loved it. Beaches are fun for me, so long as I don't go too far into the water.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness
    I went to Cancun last year and loved it. Beaches are fun for me, so long as I don't go too far into the water.
    Why not go deep in the water? That's the one redeeming feature the beach has. I do enjoy snorkeling. Shark-a-phobia?
    "If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you." - Jack Handy

sweabs

I love the beach, and everything about it. During the summer, I'm usually there 3-4 times a week playing beach volleyball, and in tournaments on the weekends.

It's a great workout, you get to work on your tan, and it's the best game in the world (with basketball of course).

And need I say more about volleyball girls?

Quote Originally Posted by rcarey
    I love the beach, and everything about it. During the summer, I'm usually there 3-4 times a week playing beach volleyball, and in tournaments on the weekends.

It's a great workout, you get to work on your tan, and it's the best game in the world (with basketball of course).

They have beaches in Canada?

Wow, thats gotta be kinda wierd going to the beach in snow boots and a parka.

sweabs

Quote Originally Posted by Gyron
    They have beaches in Canada?

Wow, thats gotta be kinda wierd going to the beach in snow boots and a parka.
    Sometimes I don't even need to wear my snow boots because the walk is relatively short from the beach to my igloo!

Sometimes I don't even need to wear my snow boots because the walk is relatively short from the beach to my igloo!

Well now, let me say this. I grew up spending my summers in New Jersey, where the beach is a lot of fun - not unbearably hot, lots of vendors and activities, fun surf to play in. I enjoy all that. I'm not a monster, for the love of pete.

But when you get down to the Caribbean, people are flocking there and spending big bucks to just lie around where its too hot for any activities, there are no boardwalks or fun things to do, and they just sit there.

In full disclosure, I should point out that we weren't in Cancun proper, where there probably is a lot to do. We went on out and stayed at Isla Mujeres, where things are more "rustic" and "authentic". Translation: Boringer and less air conditioned.

sweabs

Quote Originally Posted by Vicious Tyrant
    Well now, let me say this. I grew up spending my summers in New Jersey, where the beach is a lot of fun - not unbearably hot, lots of vendors and activities, fun surf to play in. I enjoy all that. I'm not a monster, for the love of pete.

But when you get down to the Caribbean, people are flocking there and spending big bucks to just lie around where its too hot for any activities, there are no boardwalks or fun things to do, and they just sit there.

In full disclosure, I should point out that we weren't in Cancun proper, where there probably is a lot to do. We went on out and stayed at Isla Mujeres, where things are more "rustic" and "authentic". Translation: Boringer and less air conditioned.
    I completely understand. I'm not one for just laying around and doing nothing. I find it boring as hell. If I want to get a nice tan, I need to be playing/doing something. I'm not going to waste a full day just laying there.

I definitely agree with you on that point - whenever we're on vacation I cannot believe the people who do nothing but lay down and sleep on the beach when there are beach volleyball courts, swimming pools, soccer nets, golf, etc. to play/do!

Zesty

I was in Cancun in February and loved it, though I only went to the beach a couple times, and both times it was as the sun was going down and I was just taking a walk with my gf. I generally agree with the sentiment that the beach is boring and that sand can eat it.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Love it. Absolutely love it. I spent 2 consecutive weeks on the beach this summer (1 in N. Carolina, 1 in FL on the Gulf). Holden Beach North Carolina is my favorite place on earth.

Next year I'm going to Montego Bay, Jamiaca for my honeymoon.
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
    Honestly, I don't know what that has to do with the beach.

BTW, getting hit by a jellyfish SUCKS! I will never voluntarily go back to Myrtle Beach SC again, because of it. I really don't enjoy lifeguards telling me to **** on the side of my neck to get rid of the rash. Plus their tenicles leave you with nasty cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86

BTW, getting hit by a jellyfish SUCKS! I will never voluntarily go back to Myrtle Beach SC again, because of it. I really don't enjoy lifeguards telling me to **** on the side of my neck to get rid of the rash. Plus their tenicles leave you with nasty cuts.
    If you had any real freinds they'd **** on you so you didn't have to do it yourself..... I must say you are very talented to be able to do that by yourself.....Although I have been told a time or two to "go **** on yourself" but I didn't have a jelly fish sting, so I think they might have been confused...

Quote Originally Posted by Gyron
    If you had any real freinds they'd **** on you so you didn't have to do it yourself..... I must say you are very talented to be able to do that by yourself.....Although I have been told a time or two to "go **** on yourself" but I didn't have a jelly fish sting, so I think they might have been confused...

Well, let's just say I have a gift.

I was just glad that someone was smart enough to make a lotion that rids the poison. I might have been walking around with a 2lb growth on the side of my neck for the fear of having bad aim and hitting myself in the eye.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well perhaps you should take your lifeguard's advice and start pissing on your neck and not in your eyes so you'd be able to see that Montego Bay, Jamiaca is one of the largest beaches in Jamiaca.

House Sigil:

Well perhaps you should take your lifeguard's advice and start pissing on your neck and not in your eyes so you'd be able to see that Montego Bay, Jamiaca is one of the largest beaches in Jamiaca.
    I think he was making a funny.

I think.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

The beach isnt' for everyone, but it's definitely for me.

I swam with dolphins on Sunday. Came within 10 feet. No way a movie rental tops that.

Where's all the hostility come from

Maybe I should of added a smiley, but I thought the sarcasm would be upfront and center.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Where's all the hostility come from

Maybe I should of added a smiley, but I thought the sarcasm would be upfront and center.
    My apologies. Perhaps I was to revved up for my softball game last night. It got canceled by the way. Smileys do always help though.

House Sigil:

Love it. Absolutely love it. I spent 2 consecutive weeks on the beach this summer (1 in N. Carolina, 1 in FL on the Gulf). Holden Beach North Carolina is my favorite place on earth.

Unoh, here comes another little Peck.

So all that pissing on myself I already do has healthful benefits??? Awesome! My therapist will be so happy to hear it!

Harmonica

I love being near the ocean, but hate the beach experience—the sand, the sunscreen, the blazing heat, the hoards of people. The beach at night is nice, especially with the right company. And dining in a restaurant or having drinks overlooking the ocean is magical. I love the drive on the PCH (Pacific Coast Highway). It's invigorating to just pull over, walk down to the water and take it all in, or drive up into a canyon road across from the ocean and look at it from high above—it almost feels like you're on the Mediterranian.