Thread: Are you sitting down, "Tinsley is the key to the Pacers"

Default Are you sitting down, "Tinsley is the key to the Pacers"

Yes I now believe that Tinsley is the key to the Pacers team. He is the X-factor.

Since Tinsley has been in the lineup the Pacers are 28-6. Yes 28-6. That is Chicago Bulls of the 1990's type record. 28-6.

I love how Tinsley has been playing this whole season, but the last two games he has been playing at an allstar level. I am serious.

He has had great energy, he has run the ballclub beautifully, he has been all over the court.

I never thought I would ever say this. "I enjoy watching Tinsley play now"

But the biggest surprise to me and I knew I would never say this. "Tinsley's defense is so much better and tonight against the Celtics it was outstanding". Sure Tinsley was coming up with steals, Tinsley has always had great hands, if he is anywhere near the ball he is going to come up with it.

But I was most impressed how Tinsley was pressuring the ball and still keeping his man in front of him. He also was fighting through the screens which IMO changed the game as much as anything.

There was a period late first quarter and through the first part of the second when the Celtics pick and rolls were hurting the Pacers. Pacers were trapping the pick and roll and Celts were getting good stuff from it, so the coaching staff made an adjustment, but it was Tinsley who was able to carry out the change, by fighting through the screen, which allowd the Pacers big guy to stay with the screener.

I can't get over how impressed I was with Tinsley's defense

My main thing about Tinsley last season was I did not think he had the athleticism to be a very good NBA point guard. But he has lost weight and that has changed his game and to his credit he has kept the weight off.

[size=9:39e1142dc0]Hope Ragnar does not read this[/size]

Mood

Default Re: Are you sitting down, "Tinsley is the key to the Pacers"

Tinsley has rocked.

He's quit with the streetball ********, he's hitting his shots, he's playing defense, he's snatching steals (notice I seperated those), and he's running a good fast break AND a good half court offense. I'm VERY happy with him as our starting PG right now.

Scott Hoke had a little report during the game quoting JO as saying "As Jamaal goes, so go the Pacers."

And he has been going quite well, indeed.
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Yes I now believe that Tinsley is the key to the Pacers team. He is the X-factor
    I've said it before, I will say it again... without tinsley, we are nowhere near 49-16

We've gotta give IT credit for this... looks like Tinsley is going to become a solid PG after-all.

Now what if Freddie turns out to be a player.... Scary...IT knows talent

Yes I now believe that Tinsley is the key to the Pacers team. He is the X-factor
    I've said it before, I will say it again... without tinsley, we are nowhere near 49-16

We've gotta give IT credit for this... looks like Tinsley is going to become a solid PG after-all.

Now what if Freddie turns out to be a player.... Scary...IT knows talent
    IT deserves some credit. I think Tins deserves most of it though. He got into game shape and made the most of his opportunity after riding the pine. He could've easily gotten disgruntled or asked for a trade like certain other players would've. He's the guy who deserves the lion's share of the credit.

I've said it many many times before... Tins just has a natural ability that you don't find in every point guard.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

But I was most impressed how Tinsley was pressuring the ball and still keeping his man in front of him. He also was fighting through the screens which IMO changed the game as much as anything.
    ________

Now that's what I noticed. Great positioning. ANd Hicks is right about the streetball bull****...that was my biggest complaint about him. I honestly didn't think he'd get it out of his system. But he has. SO when he occasionally (very rare now) does try a zany one I can smile and say "I LOVE THIS GAME!"
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Tinsley's playing great.

Boston TV had a graphic last night, though, about Ron Artest. They broke down his stats in Pacres wins vs. Pacers losses. It was an incredible difference-- something like 8 more ppg in wins, way more rebounds, steals, etc.

Looking at that graphic leads one to think that as Artest plays, so play the Pacers.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

I'll throw in this quote from Rick:

“We were active defensively all night. One of the things we got better at as the season has gone on is our decision making in transition. Tinsley tonight was probably the key guy in the game because he set the tone defensively with ball pressure, got his hands on a lot of balls and made great decisions in transitions. When you have a game like this where everybody plays well, it’s great.”

Sports Logo

I am sure it is no surprise that I agree. ed:

UB and Hicks I also hated the street ball crap but the difference is that I always felt that he (or a real coach) would weed that out of his game.

I also agree that much of his problem last year was his weight. Of course the stress of loosing a mother in the same time frame that your team is completely imploding probably had something to do with it. Once again the difference is that I believed he would shed the pounds and become the player I believed him to able to be.

I don’t think he is there yet. I believe he will get better. He has the ability to see the court in a way that people like AJ or Kenny will never be able to do. He can see the court like Magic, Stockton, Jax and Kidd. The only question was would he ever be able to harness that talent or would he be like Rasheed or Isiah Rider and have tons of talent but waste it. Again I believed he would harness it.

UB while others (including myself) doubted Artest you knew he would be the player you thought he would be this year. We were both right and both wrong.

Of course the stress of loosing a mother in the same time frame that your team is completely imploding probably had something to do with it.

Sports Logo

I got it right in another thread.

Having a coach who is consistent about what he wants Tinsley do... what he expects of Tinsely... and what he expects of the other players.... probably helps too.

Also, being more consistent with the rotations and having players that are more comfortable in their own roles can't hurt Tinsley's game either.

It is a team sport... it's nice to have a group of players playing as a team.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

You can go down the line with all the great point guards in this league, and it took them a long time to get to the point that they were great point guards. Most of them were traded two or three times before they emerged to the stature they have now.—DW

I don't know how many times I've seen "trade Tinsley" or trade proposals involving Tins on various forums. Seems to have quieted now.

Tinsley still does his streetball crap, just no more over the shoulder boulder holder no look passes. He does it in his dribbling, which he has to be one of the best in the game at.. I am all for him schooling PGs off the dribble, but he is so under control it seems, if he cant get a lane or a open man on the intial break down he will start up the ol feed reggie, feed the post bit, usually with plenty time left

But I totally agree with UncleB, Tinsley has been playing great, his numbers dont truly reflect how well he is playing right now. Im hoping he can keep running things this well when it really counts.. in the POs.

And Fred Jones... I am almost as impressed with him as Tinsley. With consistent mins he will be a star.

Tinsley still does his streetball crap, just no more over the shoulder boulder holder no look passes.
    Maybe Jamaal was just distracted......

[web]http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Over+the+shoulder+boulder+holder[/web]

hahah thanks for lookin that up, Magic Johnson was the first to utilize the no look over the shoulder boulder holder pass effectively. I haven't seen Tinsley squeeze off some good titty passes at that consistant level yet.

Terrymo

I read an article in my hometown paper about JT before the draft that year, checked him out and thought he would be great for the Pacers. I was really happy when they drafted him. I knew his game would come around. As for Freddie, he is a great player and will only get better.

fishman

While IT did a lot of things wrong in his time with the Pacers, I can't knock his skill when it comes to drafts. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he drafted Damon Stoudamire, T-Mac, and Vince while he was in Toronto, and Tinsley and Jones here in Indy.

To get a solid starting pg near the end of the first round is a pretty tough thing to do. You can't fault Isaiah for the fact that it took Tinsley a few years to develope. As someone already said, it usually takes at least a few years for a point guard to develope. Sure, he maybe should've kept a tighter leash, but you can't just go and blame every flaw in any of the player's games on Thomas.

As far as Jones, I live in Oregon and I've NEVER heard anyone describe Freddie as the best west coast player in the last ten years. He had a pretty good career at Oregon, but he really didn't come out until his senior year. He was athletic in college and that was about it. Not many people expected him to get drafted at 14 and not many people really expected him to have a very successfull career.

I've gotta add, just like most of the posters on here, I'm much happier with Rick as the coach, but I get tired of hearing people use Thomas as a scapegoat for any problems the Pacers have.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

this is a bit of a rant, and off topic besides, but it's been bugging me for a while...

did isiah in fact draft tinsley? what isiah did was to start a rookie pg, which takes guts, so i would credit him with some of tinsley's development. but i thought all along that tinsley was a walsh steal - the story i remembered then was that tinsley had fallen off everyone's radar because of injury, but atlanta somehow heard we were after him and grabbed him before us, and we had to trade an extra 1st rounder to acquire him.

the story that came out this year was that isiah batted strongly for freddie in last year's draft. but isiah was the coach of the pacers, not the gm, and i imagine donnie still had final say on personnel.

this is not to steal isiah's thunder - i thought he did a pretty decent job as coach. but somehow the story has grown to isiah drafting freddie, and then tinsley, and i even read one version (not here, thankfully) where isiah supposedly acquired j.o.

isiah is a good evaluator of talent, he proved that in toronto, he proved that with freddie, but let's not give him too much credit

Default Re: Bull *****ing *****!!

Given that JT was the best pg coming out, IT gets no credit for "discovering" him either.
    Oh bull. If everyone felt he was the best pg coming out, why did he go 28th? After Iowa State flopped in the tourney, and Tinsley's less that stellar team workouts, nobody felt he was NBA material, let alone the "best".

On the issue of whether he was a IT or Donnie pick, I remember reading articles right after we drafted him (stuff repeated the first month of his rookie year) which described how Isiah just fell in love with him during the predraft workouts (The whole "spitting on the court" story, for instance.) Right or wrong, I always got the impression that Zeke campaigned hard to trade up for Tinsley, while Donnie was always focused on getting Brewer in the second round.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Sports Logo

Given that JT was the best pg coming out, IT gets no credit for "discovering" him either.
    Freddie already IS a player, and anyone on the West coast already knew that.
    I give IT all the credit for taking Tinsley. He was not considered the best pg coming out. Atlanta needed a pg but didnt think there was a good one in this draft. (never mind that other than J.T. there was also Tony Parker and Gilbert Arenas) Atlanta traded us their pick for ours the next year. They did not take him and trade him to us.

And no one thought Freddie was the best player on the west coast. Talk about re writing history.

While I have been very critical of Isiah's coaching there is one thing about him you can not debate. He can spot talent. I would go so far as to say that he is as good or even better at the pure talent evaluation than Bird or Donnie.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

oops, my bad. just goes to show what happens when i don't check the facts...

tinsley was actually drafted 27th overall by the grizzlies, and was traded to indiana via atlanta for a future first rounder. i didn't know that isiah was a big fan of his already before the draft.

incidentally, some draft sites rated him as a possible lottery pick, but that doesn't matter since teams passed him up anyway. and what did the draft sites know - they rated tinsley's defense and jump shooting as "solid" ed: the worst criticism they offered up was that tins plays out of control. good thing he got that out of his system

PacerStud

I give IT all the credit for taking Tinsley.
    As long as you blame him for not being able to coach him, it's OK.

Sports Logo

I give IT all the credit for taking Tinsley.
    As long as you blame him for not being able to coach him, it's OK.
    Oh I do.