Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 65

Thread: Gerald Green - OMG

  1. #26
    Member LouisvilleLip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    26
    Posts
    348

    Default Re: Gerald Green - OMG

    Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Appears to be a sure thing? C'mon. All draft picks are a gamble.
    Exactly, lots of guys have had excellent college and international careers yet they have never translated over in the nba game.

    Also don't get confused over my first post, I didn't intend to imply that I want Gerald based on that video clip because he can dunk. I wanted him long before draft day.

  2. #27
    Harmonica
    Guest

    Default Re: Gerald Green - OMG

    Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And wow because of a nice dunk we should have picked him. Then next year we should pick James White in the first round if thats the way it goes.
    I've seen this guy do more than just dunk. And mark this thread. Two years from now you'll be the first to lambast Bird if Green explodes (ala McGrady) and Granger turns out to be a good all-around utility player.

  3. #28
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: Gerald Green - OMG

    I'd take Granger over Green everytime, I don't want anymore high schoolers.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  4. #29
    Banned Jermaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Your baby moms house
    Age
    25
    Posts
    11,717

    Default Re: Gerald Green - OMG

    Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've seen this guy do more than just dunk. And mark this thread. Two years from now you'll be the first to lambast Bird if Green explodes (ala McGrady) and Granger turns out to be a good all-around utility player.
    And you will keep your mouth shut and never mention Gerald Green again on these boards when Danny starts tearing it up.This team is ready to win now and Danny is ready to play NOW. Gerald Green needs time.And what if he turned out be another Jonathan Bender if we picked him but at least Donnie Walsh would give him a 25 million dollar deal so he wouldnt mind having a career like JB.

    And damn I wished I save that convo on AIM during the draft, Cause during the draft you where asking me how good Gerald Green was and all that **** and now you seen MORE from this guy.And he is the next McGrady. Pleaseeee, you seen some highlights on some draft sites.

  5. #30

    Default Re: Gerald Green - OMG

    Both are good prospects. Granger is ready to contribute; Green is not. That matters to me when we are close to winning a championship.

  6. #31
    Banned Jermaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Your baby moms house
    Age
    25
    Posts
    11,717

    Default Re: Gerald Green - OMG

    http://www.nba.com/media/bender_dunk_6_cc1108.avi

    WHAT A DUNK. We should pick this guy in the draft, I seen alot of his video from High School and He = NEXT MCGRADY. Ohh **** thats JB we already did pick him.

  7. #32
    Member Vicious Tyrant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Bloomington
    Age
    46
    Posts
    1,207

    Default Re: Gerald Green - OMG

    Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://www.nba.com/media/bender_dunk_6_cc1108.avi

    WHAT A DUNK. We should pick this guy in the draft, I seen alot of his video from High School and He = NEXT MCGRADY. Ohh **** thats JB we already did pick him.
    Whoa!!! Is this kid available???
    "If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you." - Jack Handy

  8. #33

    Default Re: Gerald Green - OMG

    Really, I think the Pacers were in a no-lose situation. Didn't Bird say that they would've drafted Granger with the 5th pick? Given that, I believe Green was the 6th player on the Pacer's board and if we had picked him we would all be falling all over ourselves with his potential to be the next big thing (and I am one that believes he will end up being very good) and the fact that we have time for him to develop given our deep roster.

    There is a risk that Green becomes a superstar and we look stupid for passing him up for anyone else. However, we wouldn't be the only team in that boat. Also, as someone else mentioned, Green might bolt after 3 or 4 years for a bigger market or more playing time (since he would likely start off buried on our bench for at least a year or two). With Granger, we have a player that will either produce almost immediately or likely never. After his first two years are up we will have a good idea of what we have and what we will have to give him if we want to re-sign him after the option years are up.

    It's really a tossup in my mind. I was sitting there on draft night wanting Green myself. However, the more you read about Granger the more you realize what a solid pick it was. I start to wonder about where Granger will be getting some minutes. Sounds like he will be backing up the 2 and 3 which means he's behind Artest and Jax which will play alot of minutes (barring anything such as injuries or . . . SUSPENSIONS) as starters. Does that mean Freddie will not play? Does that mean that James Jones won't play or won't be re-signed? Does that mean that the Bender project is officially over? I'll have to wait and see if Granger is good enough and really produce immediately as a sixth man type of player. If he can average 12 points a game off the bench this year I don't think you can question the pick too much. I might be leaning towards Green because I think Freddie and James are quality backups at 2 and 3 already so I'm not sure if Granger represents a significant upgrade over them. Bird must think this guy is pretty good and can step in immediately and unseat someone because I think he was pretty high on Green too.

  9. #34
    Harmonica
    Guest

    Default Re: Gerald Green - OMG

    Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And you will keep your mouth shut and never mention Gerald Green again on these boards when Danny starts tearing it up.This team is ready to win now and Danny is ready to play NOW. Gerald Green needs time.And what if he turned out be another Jonathan Bender if we picked him but at least Donnie Walsh would give him a 25 million dollar deal so he wouldnt mind having a career like JB.

    And damn I wished I save that convo on AIM during the draft, Cause during the draft you where asking me how good Gerald Green was and all that **** and now you seen MORE from this guy. And he is the next McGrady. Pleaseeee, you seen some highlights on some draft sites.
    I watched the draft and saw the highlight reel. And it looks like Granger will be an immediate contributor alright, as he sits out for the summer. Seriously though, he seems like a good pick, or as someone said, "He was a solid pick." And I guess that's my point. He's solid. Indy has a history of being "solid" and look where that's gotten us.

  10. #35
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,090

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Gerald Green - OMG

    Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I watched the draft and saw the highlight reel. And it looks like Granger will be an immediate contributor alright, as he sits out for the summer. Seriously though, he seems like a good pick, or as someone said, "He was a solid pick." And I guess that's my point. He's solid. Indy has a history of being "solid" and look where that's gotten us.

    To being contenders year in and year out? What such a hard life to lead.

  11. #36
    sweabs
    Guest

    Default Re: Gerald Green - OMG

    Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I watched the draft and saw the highlight reel. And it looks like Granger will be an immediate contributor alright, as he sits out for the summer. Seriously though, he seems like a good pick, or as someone said, "He was a solid pick." And I guess that's my point. He's solid. Indy has a history of being "solid" and look where that's gotten us.
    However, it's not like we haven't taken risks. They may have just happened in other forms aside from drafting. Although, look at Bender...we went for it, and it didn't turn out.

    The Jermaine O'Neal trade was also a risk at the time. So, not everything that the front office does is plain and "solid".

  12. #37
    Harmonica
    Guest

    Default Re: Gerald Green - OMG

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    To being contenders year in and year out? What such a hard life to lead.
    Maybe you haven't been here that long, but to a lot of people here, I don't think that's enough anymore. Personally I think the Pacers are one of the most respectable and well-run franchises in the league (read: solid), but I fancy a little risk-taking myself from time to time. But that's just me.

  13. #38
    Harmonica
    Guest

    Default Re: Gerald Green - OMG

    Quote Originally Posted by rcarey
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Jermaine O'Neal trade was also a risk at the time. So, not everything that the front office does is plain and "solid".
    Good point.

  14. #39
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,090

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Gerald Green - OMG

    Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe you haven't been here that long, but to a lot of people here, I don't think that's enough anymore. Personally I think the Pacers are one of the most respectable and well-run franchises in the league (read: solid), but I fancy a little risk-taking myself from time to time. But that's just me.

    Risk taking from time to time? Like how often? Once a year, every other year, every third year?

    I say management have two albatrosses (a bloated contract to Cro, giving him money that he earned from one series at that's it, and Bender) around their neck at the moment, and three might pull their heads under water with the cap. When your 0 for 2 on your last 2 shots, you think a little harder before you pull the trigger next time, atleast I do.

    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me thrice, and I'm an idiot.

  15. #40
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,090

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Gerald Green - OMG

    Plus, when you take a player with the 17th pick, that was in top 5 in 90% of mock drafts I don't see that has a strikeout.

    Right now it's looking like a warning track blast. Waiting to see if Torey Hunter is in center, if it's off the wall for a triple, or a dinger.

  16. #41

    Default Re: Gerald Green - OMG

    I disagree with the primise that Donnie doesn't take risks.

    Hiring Bird and then IT to coach when neither had any coaching experience were both risks.

    As pointed out trading for JO was a risk as well was the decision to rebuild after the 2000 season. I mean why not keep the group together and keep the fans happy?

    Donnie's draft history is full of risk. There is a reason his picks are so hard for "experts" to guess. He doesn't take the safe pick. That's shown through his picks from Reggie to Bender and Fred.

    Keeping Ron is a risk. Letting Brad go was a risk.

    Donnie is a loyal guy, perhaps to much so but that doesn't equate to playing it safe.

  17. #42
    foretaz
    Guest

    Default Re: Gerald Green - OMG

    Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe you haven't been here that long, but to a lot of people here, I don't think that's enough anymore. Personally I think the Pacers are one of the most respectable and well-run franchises in the league (read: solid), but I fancy a little risk-taking myself from time to time. But that's just me.

    its called being spoiled.....

    i remember the mid 70s and the 80s....

    it truly sux when u have zero chance....when it takes a miracle to even make the playoffs, only to be swept out in the first round.....

    id love to win a title....dearly love to....

    but i know there are no guarantees....the lakers from two years ago proved that....

    all i know is id prefer things be done solidly if it means contending every year and never having to suffer thru what the lakers have this past year, or the knicks, or some of the other teams that got close or even won, only to be followed by years of the doldrums....i dont wanna ever be the hawks or hornets etc.

    sooner or later, if we are in contention every year, things will go our way....you start mortgaging the farm with risks and it doesnt work out due to whatever reason, then u dont have that title in ur pocket and have to deal with losing....no thanks....

    i like knowing we will be in the playoffs every year and have a legit shot at the title....and i, for one, will never take it for granted or be dissatisfied with anything short of a title...

  18. #43
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,090

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Gerald Green - OMG

    Quote Originally Posted by foretaz
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    sooner or later, if we are in contention every year, things will go our way....you start mortgaging the farm with risks and it doesnt work out due to whatever reason, then u dont have that title in ur pocket and have to deal with losing....no thanks....
    Well said. All I can hope for, as a fan, is to have trust in management to bring in players that have the capability(looks wrong for some reason) to win the title. It's ultimately up to the players if they can hit the shots when i's needed, or get the crucial stops.

    has done his job better than any other GM in the league, now it's up to the players.

  19. #44

    Default Re: Gerald Green - OMG

    you guys keep bringing up jonathan bender but this kid is more tmac/kobe than JB.

    And jonathan bender is not the only high school kid on our roster...

  20. #45

    Default Re: Gerald Green - OMG

    Harold Minor (aka:Baby Jordan) could do any dunk in the world that this guy can. Being a fantastic dunker does not make you great.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

  21. #46
    Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cumberland
    Posts
    15,264
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Gerald Green - OMG

    Quote Originally Posted by aceace
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Harold Minor (aka:Baby Jordan) could do any dunk in the world that this guy can. Being a fantastic dunker does not make you great.


    Freddie Jones
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

  22. #47
    Banned Jermaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Your baby moms house
    Age
    25
    Posts
    11,717

    Default Re: Gerald Green - OMG

    Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Freddie Jones
    What about Freddie? Freddie is more then just dunks

  23. #48
    Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cumberland
    Posts
    15,264
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Gerald Green - OMG

    Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What about Freddie? Freddie is more then just dunks
    Really? Other than sky, what does he do that 416 other NBA players don't do just as well if not better?
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

  24. #49
    Mjolnir Diamond Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Crawfordsville
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,175
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Gerald Green - OMG

    Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Really? Other than sky, what does he do that 416 other NBA players don't do just as well if not better?
    While I'll agree that many people on here overrate Fred (just like they do most Pacers), I still think this is a little harsh.

    Fred is a quality defender, one of the better defenders on our team. Fred can push the ball, and every once and a while is a big time impact on a game if he has his long shot going to open up for slashing.
    House Name: Pacers

    House Sigil:



    House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

  25. #50
    Banned Jermaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Your baby moms house
    Age
    25
    Posts
    11,717

    Default Re: Gerald Green - OMG

    Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Really? Other than sky, what does he do that 416 other NBA players don't do just as well if not better?
    He can drive to the basket as well as anyone on our team. When he was healthy he was hitting that 3 very well. And he is a good defender.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •