Thread: WITHOUT TRADES - Who do you extend? Who do you sign? Why?

Hybrid View

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Default WITHOUT TRADES - Who do you extend? Who do you sign? Why?

since we're living in the transaction blackout, I thought this would be a good time to post your "if I were in charge" preferences.

Here's the list of players we've got on contract right now:

O'Neal
    Croshere
    Bender
    Artest
    Pollard
    Tinsley
    Jackson
    Foster
    Johnson
    F Jones
    Granger
    Gill
    Harrison

As far as I know (and I'm sure someone will correct me ) these are our unrestricted free agents:
    Davis
    Edwards
    J Jones

Anyone notice that there are 16 names total?

Let's take a new angle - here are the players who either have no contract or the contracts end next summer (again, corrections welcome):
    Pollard
    F Jones
    E Gill
    Davis
    Edwards
    J Jones
    Lorbek

SO LETS GET TO IT - barring trades, who do you sign or extend? Why?

My answers:

Pollard - despite how I like his personality, there's no need to explain how he only has value as cap space clearing trade fodder.

Fred Jones - The only guy I would consider extending right now, I still need to be cautious and wait until next summer to sign him, even if it's only in a sign-and-trade. He's wicked talented but right now he's not someone I would mold a team around. I just think he'd be much better and much more valuable on one of the quicker West Coast teams. He can be a mid-level star and a top scorer in a running offense, and other teams probably know this and are watching (and waiting).

Gill - keep him this year and then let him go FA. Again, an improvement at PG is not going to happen in-house. I'll wish him luck and thank him for stepping up during the season from hell.

Dale Davis - Don't think. Sign him and sign him now. Even if it's just for PR and 15 minutes worth of muscle a night, he's worth it. That is, as long as he doesn't want way too much money in return.

Edwards - no explanation needed when I say dump him, but I renew my prediction from a few months ago that he will be with the organization again this season.

James Jones. I'm sorry to say it, but he's expendable, especially with the addition of Granger. Sign and trade or outright release.

Lorbek. I don't know this guy from Adam, so I won't state a preference until I hear more.

SO - leaving trades out of it - what would you do? Extend? Sign? Let expire?

Default Re: WITHOUT TRADES - Who do you extend? Who do you sign? Why?

Fred, Dale, and James all would get extended. The rest I would let expier.

BTW: We had 16 players because Ron was suspended so he didn't really count on the active roster or the IL.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Default Re: WITHOUT TRADES - Who do you extend? Who do you sign? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by rommie
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fred, Dale, and James all would get extended. The rest I would let expier.

BTW: We had 16 players because Ron was suspended so he didn't really count on the active roster or the IL.
    Actually, we picked up both Ron and Granger and lost Miller. 15+2=17; 17-1=16