Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 88

Thread: Reggie on ESPN Radio

  1. #51
    foretaz
    Guest

    Default Re: Reggie on ESPN Radio

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcadian
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    1)Telling people they totally miss the point isn't really helpful in arguing your point or furthering dialogue. When you start a response that way it tells me I saw what you wrote and either you think I'm stupid or you've made little effort to see my point. I don't believe that either of those messages were what you were trying to communicate.
    if i tell u i dont like the taste of beets and thats why i dont eat them and u come back to me with the nutrional benefits of beets-uve missed the point...and while u might not like it..and it may not be very conversational, its still the truth...some of u want to go into the merits of why he should disclose something that is of a private nature....doesnt matter why u think he should....its private...therefore, its none of our business...no matter what good it might do...

    2)I completely disagree with the idea that a person admitting that they have a problem and getting help for it has nothing to do with courage. If that is how you truely feel then perhaps that is why we disagree.
    ahhh...but we dont disagree....what we apparently disagree with is who that person should admit it to and more importantly who they choose to disclose what they are doing about it to.....based on what ur saying, one should admit it to the whole world and then tell the whole world what they are doing to make things better....i disagree with that...ron has admitted he has problems...even said some of the things that he would like to do-as it relates to public knowledge-less techs and flagrants and playing more as a team....

    3)This is a bit off subject on my part but NBA players do not make thier money because they play basketball. If simply playing basketball earned money the Milkan's family would have been able to afford his burrial costs.

    NBA players make money because people pay to watch them play basketball and take an interest in thier personalities. This is especially true in the star driven promotions of the NBA.

    Bottom line is that Ron makes millions for being in the public eye. He is under no obligation to use that fame for good causes. (Ron in fact does and is a very generous person.) However, in this case I think he made a mistake. He should have had an answer ready that wasn't a lie.
    as i said earlier...any answer other than a denial he would be persecuted for...whether he says its noones business...or no comment...it was a no win situation....how would u expect him to answer just about any aspect of his personal life that was seemingly being brought into question....denial is the pat response for politicians, athletes, etc....

    By the way I wish people who think that therapy is a personal issue would apply that same logic to drug use, law infractions, personalities and sex lives. Those issues usually aren't said to be out of bounds and the only reason I think that in this case it is different is that Ron is a Pacer.
    im not sure what ur trying to say here....if ur saying that people are too concerned with public figures personal lives then i would agree....but im not sure thats what ur saying, because if it were , im not sure why you would be arguing that he should have shared his personal life with the world...

    i cant speak for anyone else, but i feel this to be the case for everyone, not just ron...

    however arrests and what have u are matters of public record, so in that light it is a bit different...

  2. #52
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,306

    Default Re: Reggie on ESPN Radio

    You know the real question should be is if Reggie's willing to layout that personal info on Artest then shouldn't he come clean on who burnt down his house?
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

  3. #53
    foretaz
    Guest

    Default Re: Reggie on ESPN Radio

    Quote Originally Posted by RWB
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You know the real question should be is if Reggie's willing to layout that personal info on Artest then shouldn't he come clean on who burnt down his house?
    and this is kinda the whole point...

    is there anyone who truly doubts ron isnt going to therapy?????

    is there anyone that truly doubts who burnt reggies house down?????

    why does everyone have this persecution complex????

    u did it...u know u did it....now admit it.....hahahahaha.....

    i seriously dont get it...can it be any more immature?

  4. #54

    Default Re: Reggie on ESPN Radio

    My purple friend you have a Ragnarian ability to carry on an arguement.

    All I am saying is Ron shouldn't have lied about it.

    If you don't think that Reggie should have outted him that's fine by me.

  5. #55
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,306

    Default Re: Reggie on ESPN Radio

    Quote Originally Posted by foretaz
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    denial is the pat response for politicians, athletes, etc....

    SIZE][/COLOR]

    How many times do I have to tell you? I did not have sexual relations with that woman. Now Monica go in there and get me some Cubans.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

  6. #56
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,860

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Reggie on ESPN Radio

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcadian
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I never said anything about your reading skills...but not all of the things I listed were legal infractions.

    It was an allusion, I know you didn't say anything about them.

    No, not all of them were against the law. Just 2 out of the 3. But still comparing the two, would mean they are on equal levels, and that's about as far off base as you can get short of calling it murder.

  7. #57
    foretaz
    Guest

    Default Re: Reggie on ESPN Radio

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcadian
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My purple friend you have a Ragnarian ability to carry on an arguement.

    All I am saying is Ron shouldn't have lied about it.

    If you don't think that Reggie should have outted him that's fine by me.

    im not a proponent of lying....however i understand the dilemma hes faced with....and as i said, it was a no win situation...and bottom line is his responsibility to the fans does not require him being honest and forthright when it comes to his personal life....

    i think if anyone, including u, was in rons shoes, they would do exactly the same....and i wont fault him for that....i refuse to hold him to a higher standard than anyone else...

  8. #58
    Speed Freak
    Guest

    Default Re: Reggie on ESPN Radio

    Perhaps everyone misses the point?

    Ron made a decision about his personal life that was his to make. In no way are we obligated to know anything about him. If his employer made explaining this to the public a condition of his employment he would then have to decide whether he should explain what he was doing, or quit. That is his decision to make as well. It would appear that the Pacers have left this matter to Ron to explain how he chooses. If Ron felt comfortable with everyone knowing, we would know. If he doesn't feel comfortable letting everyone know, than he doesn't have to.

    However, this same point applies to the argument that is going on. It is for each and every individual to decide what they deem an appropriate response is for specific situations. The person who felt that Ron ought to have not denied his therapy and needed more courage in admitting his problem isn't wrong. Neither is the person who felt this matter was private and had no reason to be revealed. Those are both valid opinions and, last I checked, we are allowed to have those. They are right as the topic relates to them. Whereas one person may grow and be helped by admitting his faults, another may feel it's private and have nothing to gain by doing so. These decision are situational and furthermore, are different from one individual to the next. So perhaps everyone arguing is missing the point?

    It is a person's undeniable right to have an opinion in this matter. However, that doesn't mean one party is correct and the other is false. It means that humanity has many facets and this is an example of that in progress. As individuals, we form opinions about nearly everything we are informed of. You can't fault any person for that.

    Do we have a right to demand Ron act on our opinions though? Absolutely not. The final decision is up to him. Employers, family members, friends, fans, and therapists may place consequences on whichever decision he makes in order to encourage the response they prefer, but they can't force him to make a decision he's not ready to commit to. And that's his right.

    Personally, I believe that Reggie ought not to have acknowledged something that Ron had wished not to be said. But I am not Reggie/Ron, so I cannot say how this effects either. It's my opinion that handling this matter was/is Ron's obligation, not Reggie's. I also, however, do not believe that there is nothing to gain in admitting that you have a problem. There can be many instances where being openly honest about your troubles can be very helpful. It's not for any of us to decide for Ron whether this is one of those instances though.

    In all reality, none of us know enough about Ron as a person and the therapy and organizations he is working with to declare we know the correct or best way to do things in regards to him. We can only form an opinion based on what we know, and wait, watch and listen to see what happens next.

    So maybe arguing about who's right and who's wrong is a silly thing to do. Who's to honestly say which decision is right or wrong in this instance other than Ron Artest? Maybe instead we should explain our opinions, recieve others' opinions and feel better informed because we have heard more opinions than our own.

    That's just my opinion anyways. Take it for what it's worth.

  9. #59
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: Reggie on ESPN Radio

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My god things are slow.

    The "P" in "PD" stands for psychology right?
    I was beginning to think it stands for Purple.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  10. #60
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: Reggie on ESPN Radio

    Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was beginning to think it stands for Purple.
    ZING again!

  11. #61
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: Reggie on ESPN Radio

    Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ZING again!
    I'm on a roll tonight, I think I will quit while I'm ahead.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  12. #62
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,057

    Default Re: Reggie on ESPN Radio

    Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    1) dont u understand tht u havnt rd a singl thing iuve said??????????

    2) I can't do this purple thing anymore. Sorry. You make good points, but I just can't read them anymore.
    This is Btown's best attempt at saying he was wrong. And like Ron, he can't just come out and admit it.

  13. #63
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,438

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Reggie on ESPN Radio

    Quote Originally Posted by foretaz
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    and this is kinda the whole point...

    is there anyone who truly doubts ron isnt going to therapy?????

    is there anyone that truly doubts who burnt reggies house down?????

    why does everyone have this persecution complex????

    u did it...u know u did it....now admit it.....hahahahaha.....

    i seriously dont get it...can it be any more immature?

    Maybe I'm just way out of the loop. What was the scoop on the fire? I never followed it too closely, I just always thought they had no clue who did it.

  14. #64
    foretaz
    Guest

    Default Re: Reggie on ESPN Radio

    Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    First of all, I have no clue why, but I cant see any of foretaz posts in this thread. Very weird.........

    I do agree with most everyone in this thread. I do think that therapy is a very private thing (I have lots of friends that have gone over my 19 years, and I have almost gone twice) and it can be a very embarrassing (sp) thing. I see no reason why I should have to tell anyone jack **** about my life.

    I also agree with btown about the fact you forfeit (sp) (assuming this is what you are inded saying) this "right" so to speak when you become a pro athelte and/or famous. Wether that is right or not, that is a whole nother discussion..............
    interesting....becoming a pro athlete or famous means u forfeit ur right to a private and personal life.....

    whether or not that is right is exactly what this discussion has been about....

    and that notion is simply ludicrous....pro athletes and famous people, while being in the public spotlight, are just as entitled to a private and personal life as anyone else....the fact that some meddling, curious fan says otherwise is laughable....

  15. #65
    foretaz
    Guest

    Default Re: Reggie on ESPN Radio

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerFanAdam
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe I'm just way out of the loop. What was the scoop on the fire? I never followed it too closely, I just always thought they had no clue who did it.

    it was reported that an initial investigation was done....

    that reggie then called off the investigation by authorities and specifically insurance people....and he agreed to not file a claim....and ate the cost of the fire and the rebuild....reggie is no longer married....

    what do u know about filters for coffee makers?

  16. #66
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,306

    Default Re: Reggie on ESPN Radio

    Quote Originally Posted by foretaz
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    ....reggie is no longer married....
    Did you know she finally made it in a movie? Dinner Rush, haven't seen it but heard it was pretty good.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

  17. #67
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,860

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Reggie on ESPN Radio

    Quote Originally Posted by foretaz
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    it was reported that an initial investigation was done....

    that reggie then called off the investigation by authorities and specifically insurance people....and he agreed to not file a claim....and ate the cost of the fire and the rebuild....reggie is no longer married....

    what do u know about filters for coffee makers?

    Actually State Farm paid for the damages. My dad knows his agent, plus we have a guy insured that was living 3 doors down at the time who just recently moved away from there.

  18. #68
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,054

    Default Re: Reggie on ESPN Radio

    Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If we can somehow mention Brad Miller and Jamison Brewer, this thread will finally be complete.
    Jamison would like me to remind all of you that in Reggie's Beyond The Glory he said they've never found out who burned down his house. He said ever six months or so he'll receive a letter or a phone call presumably from the arsonist.

    Brad said he asked Reggie if he's going to give "that b-atch" a role in his upcoming movie. I cannot report his answer because the language would most likely get me banned.




    There, our lives are now complete.

  19. #69
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,914

    Default Re: Reggie on ESPN Radio

    Quote Originally Posted by foretaz
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    interesting....becoming a pro athlete or famous means u forfeit ur right to a private and personal life.....

    whether or not that is right is exactly what this discussion has been about....

    and that notion is simply ludicrous....pro athletes and famous people, while being in the public spotlight, are just as entitled to a private and personal life as anyone else....the fact that some meddling, curious fan says otherwise is laughable....

    Here is how it is whether you like it or not...
    When a person's livelihood and earning power depends on their acceptance by the general public they have to make some concessions.

    Artest can deny he's in therapy, he can refuse to go to therapy, he can rob the therapist's office if he wants.... but he'll have to deal with the consequences of doing so. He has a perception and marketing problem at this point in time and IMHO admitting therapy is not going to make that problem worse but instead would actually improve it.

    If I am going to be writing checks to PS&E for this season I'd like to know that the player most responsible for changing what I expected to see last year (and what I wrote last year's checks intending to see... A championship quest with a high probability of being in the hunt all season long) is doing EVERYTHING in his power to get things straightened out. Artest is a damn good player. IMHO his play means more to the team than JO. ...But that assumes Artest keeps his focus on basketball and his butt out of the stands.

    I have no 'right' to know Artest is in therapy. I do have a reasonable need to know as do other 'curious and meddling fans'. It isn't laughable in my world. Tickets cost money. So does travel, popcorn, drinks, T-shirts, etc.. And besides the money there is the emotional involvement of following a team. That said, I don't expect details of Artest's therapy... And a non-comittal type answer from him would've been somewhat acceptable.

    What's worse is the denial. That is worrisome to most people unless they prefer to stick their head in the sand and cover their ears signing "La La La La". He could've said he is doing everything the league (or team) has asked of him and preferred not to talk about specifics... and I would've been fine with that. That would've spoke volumes in and of itself. I would think after therapy sessions that Artest should feel comfortable enough with them, understand them enough... if he'd opened his mind to them... to lose any fear of stigma that he may attached to them.

    The denial makes me wonder if Artest has closed his mind to them and thinks "this is stupid" the whole time he is there rather than trying to get something from the experience. IMHO, the denial (lying) doesn't paint a pretty picture and raises questions... and it is more questions that are the last thing Artest needs swirling around him right now (IMHO). Unfortunately, the denial (lying) tends to speak volumes as well (or surely implies it).

    I fail to see why you can't acknowledge there are valid points on both sides of this debate. You even seem to have a need to denigrate the opposing viewpoints. Are you even reading them?

    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  20. #70
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,860

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Reggie on ESPN Radio

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The denial makes me wonder if Artest has closed his mind to them and thinks "this is stupid" the whole time he is there rather than trying to get something from the experience. IMHO, the denial (lying) doesn't paint a pretty picture and raises questions... and it is more questions that are the last thing Artest needs swirling around him right now (IMHO). Unfortunately, the denial (lying) tends to speak volumes as well (or surely implies it).

    The Pacer's don't single out and market Ron. He was damaged goods in that aspect long ago. Whether he is, isn't, or lies about himself going to therapy isn't going to stop someone from continueing to like him, start liking him, or start disliking him. The line has been drawn in the sand with 99% of people regarding Ron.


    Why does denying actual therapy frighten you? He has admitted numerous times before, that he has a problem that needs to be worked on. If he works on them in his own way, and the results are yet to been seen, then how are you able to discredit them already? If he kept denying he had any sort of problem at all, I can understand where you're coming from, but that's not the case.

  21. #71
    foretaz
    Guest

    Default Re: Reggie on ESPN Radio

    reading every word....usually at least twice...

    but there is no validity to them....because theyre twisted and inaccurate....

    ron hasnt denied hes going to therapy....hes denied to the press hes going to therapy....

    everything ur then saying about this denial would be true if he was truly in denial...but hes not...

    believe it or not...and this seems to be a concept u and some others have a problem understanding....denying something in the press-refusing to disclose personal and private matters....does not necessarily constitute ron is in denial...in fact, in this case its quite apparent that he is indeed in counseling....and by his own admission he has things he needs to work on....hes said so on numerous occasions now....saying hes not going to therapy to a reporter really makes no difference....and any smart person should realize this....

    anyone that wants to make a federal case out of ron telling reporters hes not going to therapy.....when they know he is going to therapy....has other issues....

    and quite frankly, if ur writing a check to PS&E is based on them being able to contend for a title...then i could care a less if u wrote that check or not...whether its the case or not it seems to say if they dont contend, then ur not going to write the check.....u can figure out the rest....

    and btw....they still finished in the top 8 last year....and if ur 'writing the check' is dependent on whether ron tells the whole world something the whole world should already know....well like i said....maybe u should save the cash...

  22. #72
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,914

    Default Re: Reggie on ESPN Radio

    Quote Originally Posted by foretaz
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    reading every word....usually at least twice...

    but there is no validity to them....because theyre twisted and inaccurate....

    ron hasnt denied hes going to therapy....hes denied to the press hes going to therapy....

    everything ur then saying about this denial would be true if he was truly in denial...but hes not...

    believe it or not...and this seems to be a concept u and some others have a problem understanding....denying something in the press-refusing to disclose personal and private matters....does not necessarily constitute ron is in denial...in fact, in this case its quite apparent that he is indeed in counseling....and by his own admission he has things he needs to work on....hes said so on numerous occasions now....saying hes not going to therapy to a reporter really makes no difference....and any smart person should realize this....

    I have no time to reply to this post properly but from what I read above it seems like you are saying "it depends on what the definition of 'is' is..."

    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  23. #73
    foretaz
    Guest

    Default Re: Reggie on ESPN Radio

    what im saying is simple....

    if ron was in denial, then the situation would be different...

    hes not, hes said as much as is required to indicate this...hes said hes got things he needs to work...even specified a few of these...

    ur only in denial if u choose to deny u have a problem to those that are in a position to help....

    hes going to therapy...everyone in the world who has half a brain knows this....

    denying this to the press is obviously saying he has no desire to share his personal and private life with the whole world...he is only one of the more recent in an unbelievably long list of public figures to do this...thats what public people do....they deny it...because its noones business....and denial is short, sweet and the least telling....

    now....do u believe hes been in therapy??

    if u do, then its obvious hes not in denial...u cant do both....

    so if u believe that, then whats the problem????

  24. #74
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,306

    Default Re: Reggie on ESPN Radio

    Quote Originally Posted by grace
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Jamison would like me to remind all of you that in Reggie's Beyond The Glory he said they've never found out who burned down his house. He said ever six months or so he'll receive a letter or a phone call presumably from the arsonist.
    Well I guess that eliminates Lisa Lopes, but not Ms. M.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

  25. #75
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,057

    Default Re: Reggie on ESPN Radio

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have no time to reply to this post properly but from what I read above it seems like you are saying "it depends on what the definition of 'is' is..."

    -Bball
    This sounds to me like another form of "I can't read purple anymore."

    He wasn't parsing "is." He was making some decent points. As I mentioned above, Ron may not be the only one has a problem admitting he is wrong sometimes.

    It's really not very hard. Just say, "Good point. Hadn't though of that. You may be right, I may be wrong. I'll give it some thought." Fortaz may not make it very easy with his strong denunciations, but others of you have posted on here too long, too well. You're big enough to rise above it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •