Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA to investigate Lakers re alleged George tampering. (Vecsey)

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: NBA to investigate Lakers re alleged George tampering. (Vecsey)

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Same people that didn't think the video was enough proof PG was leaving months ago now are telling us that the video shows enough proof for tampering
    You do know they are 2 separate things, right? A team can break tampering rules going after a player who goes nowhere.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk
    BillS

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
    Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Not surprised the Pacers are going that route

I mean, I don't care what the penalty is. Obviously I'd LOVE it if the Lakers were prohibited from signing PG or they lost picks.

But honestly it would be incredibly cathartic for me even if the end result was just the NBA saying "They tampered and are being fined one dollar."

It's the principle of the thing.

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Not surprised at all we brought the charges. KP hinted at it pretty heavily at the lunch I attended the day after the draft. He even refused to say the name Lakers. Dude was/is super pissed.

KP was adamant that someone had changed Paul George's mind. I know this seems like a petty thing, but I really doubt Pacers bring these charges without thinking they can make them stick.

If they don't stick then the Pacers come out looking really bad. If they do stick, Lakers look horrible and Paul George looks like an easily manipulated doofus. So you only bring the charges if you think you can win IMO.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 08-20-2017 at 06:42 PM.

7. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Same people that didn't think the video was enough proof PG was leaving months ago now are telling us that the video shows enough proof for tampering
    You're confusing the videos. The video that had people in denial was the one where PG was grinning and saying that he hadn't talk to Kobe "yet" (which I agree, it was obvious then that PG was heavily considering leaving, which had many here in denial).

The tampering video is where Magic Johnson was winking like a jackass, which is pretty much tampering by the verbiage of the rule.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Mood

What's gonna happen, is this.....absolutely nothing.

Then we'll look like the crybaby capital in sports with this combined with Deflategate.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pogi For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Not surprised the Pacers are going that route
    Do you mean this in a way to say the Pacers are being petty?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to freddielewis14 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Not surprised at all we brought the charges. KP hinted at it pretty heavily at the lunch I attended the day after the draft. He even refused to say the name Lakers. Dude was/is super pissed.

KP was adamant that someone had changed Paul George's mind. I know this seems like a petty thing, but I really doubt Pacers bring these charges without thinking they can make them stick.

If they don't stick then the Pacers come out looking really bad. If they do stick, Lakers look horrible and Paul George looks like an easily manipulated doofus. So you only bring the charges if you think you can win IMO.
    I assumed the Pacers would file as soon as I saw your thread. So thanks for sharing that.

Whether it's legit or we look bad from the outcome, let me say this. Simon filed. This is the same guy that doesn't like going after RFAs out of respect to other owners. Doubt he would take this anywhere w/o good reason.

15. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to freddielewis14 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by pogi View Post

Then we'll look like the crybaby capital in sports with this combined with Deflategate.
    And we're still paying for Deflategate.....

Since then the Pats have won 2 SBs

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    And we're still paying for Deflategate.....
    No they're not. It's long over. What residuals are you trying to talk about ??

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    No they're not. It's long over. What residuals are you trying to talk about ??
    I'm referring to the Colts not being the same since.

At least with the Pacers its hard for them to really be worse.

There has to be a "there" here (or there)....... when it comes to this tampering investigation. I mentioned last month it was strange how Paul was behaving like a person returning to his team for the new upcoming season all Summer long. Then in a 2 day span he became obsessed with becoming a Laker. Not getting traded persay, but becoming a "Laker."

That's due to a bad GM, a bad coach and some bad players.

I hope the Pacers win, sincerely. But even if they don't, I hope it at least shuts the door on teams/GMs being so obnoxiously obvious as Magic and the Lakers have been.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 3rdStrike For This Useful Post:

_________________________ RamBo_Lamar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pogi View Post

Well, in the words of Edmond Burke:

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
    Last edited by RamBo_Lamar; 08-22-2017 at 02:01 AM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to RamBo_Lamar For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Lakers likely won't lose draft picks since George never actually went to LA.

The NBA can and if they find LA guilty most likely will ban PG from signing there next summer. That sends a strong enough message not to **** with another team's player.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Mood

There's no way the front office waited three months to refer the NBA to a YouTube clip.
    "He's a strong physical presence out there on both ends of the court. He's a man. There's a reason he was an All-Star." -- Vogel on David West

28. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Willbo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Willbo View Post
    There's no way the front office waited three months to refer the NBA to a YouTube clip.
    Agreed. NBA could have sanctioned LA a long time ago for that Kimmel interview - just like they did to previous tampering teams for mentioning FA players in the press conference/fan materials.

This isn't NBA driven - this seems Indy driven. If KP thought that PG changed his mind over something in June - it makes sense. Problem being - the rumors of PG wanting LA were strong - long before that. I know that PG was contacting people outside of the Pacers org to say he was gone as soon as the Cavs series was over. Simon was willing to deal him at the deadline.

Curious to see what shows up.
    Last edited by 2Cleva; 08-21-2017 at 09:35 AM.

Feature on ESPN about NBA tampering

Q: Why is the NBA investigating the Lakers in August and not in April when Lakers President of Basketball Operations Magic Johnson was on the "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" show and joking about winking at George if the two ran into each other in the offseason?

MARKS: The Pacers might not have filed for tampering until much later -- after George's trade value was diminished with the news that he wanted to go to L.A. (George was traded to the Oklahoma City Thunder for Victor Oladipo and Domantas Sabonis on June 30.)

However the Pacers could have a hard time proving that the value of George's trade value diminished when his agent implied his desire to opt-out of his contract at the end of the 2017-18 season.

A player on an expiring contract like George has limited value based on the theory of a one-year rental and the uncertainty that the player would commit long-term.

In the case of George, it was buyer beware even before letting the Pacers know his desire about returning home to Los Angeles.

Q: What happens if there are phone records between Johnson and Aaron Mintz, the agent for Paul George?

MARKS: Even if there was a conversation in June, it could be difficult to prove it involved George. Mintz also represents then-draft prospect Luke Kennard, so it is possible the Lakers were setting up a draft workout.

Mintz also represents former Lakers guard D'Angelo Russell and current starting power forward Julius Randle.

D'Angelo Russell would be traded on June 22 to Brooklyn and any correspondence found between Mintz and Johnson could be as a result of conversations regarding Russell and not George.

Q: Is the investigation over if the Lakers are proved to be innocent?

MARKS: Yes and no. Consider the proposed tampering charges by the Pacers to be a warning shot at the Lakers.

The Lakers, like the rest of the 29 teams in the league, will be watched closely to make sure no illegal tampering or circumvention occurs.

The Lakers will likely receive a memo from the NBA, exonerating them of any wrongdoing but also letting Los Angeles know that if any new information comes to light, the NBA has the authority to hand out punishments.
    More in link - http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...-tampering-faq

31. The Following User Says Thank You to 2Cleva For This Useful Post:

Mood

The definition of tampering was provided in the memo, and reads as follows.

"Article 35A of the NBA Constitution states that it's a violation of the league's anti-tampering rule for any person affiliated with an NBA team to directly or indirectly (i) entice, induce, or persuade, or attempt to entice, induce or persuade, any player, coach, GM or other person under contract to any other NBA team to enter into negotiations for or relating to that person's services or to negotiate or contract for such services, or (ii) otherwise interfere with the employment relationship between that employee and the other NBA team."

The Constitution also says that potential penalties for tampering include suspension of the offending person, prohibition of the offending team from hiring the person being tampered with, forfeiture of draft picks, and individual and/or team fines of up to $5 million.
    This is interesting to me....It makes me wonder why there has never been charges drummed up for players under contract recruiting others...For instance....Miami's big three admitted that they discussed playing together prior to their contracts being up with their current teams....Wouldn't D-Wade be considered "affiliated with Miami", and wouldn't he be able to be charged with "enticing" the others to join him in Miami???

Just wondering why the NBA is so lax on situations like this, when the rule is SUPER broad....

You could then argue that Magic and Kobe would both be "affiliated" with the Lakers, even if not under contract....Both of them are Lakers Legends, who played their entire career with the Lakers....

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ejwallace For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    You're confusing the videos. The video that had people in denial was the one where PG was grinning and saying that he hadn't talk to Kobe "yet" (which I agree, it was obvious then that PG was heavily considering leaving, which had many here in denial).

The tampering video is where Magic Johnson was winking like a jackass, which is pretty much tampering by the verbiage of the rule.

Both videos gave some of us a clue about where PG was going but a lot of people didn't want to see it, you can't tell me "well those videos mean nothing he just told us he wants to win a championship so all this is fake news" and then few months later this same people are using the same videos to tell us there is tampering this makes no freaking sense.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

Both videos gave some of us a clue about where PG was going but a lot of people didn't want to see it, you can't tell me "well those videos mean nothing he just told us he wants to win a championship so all this is fake news" and then few months later this same people are using the same videos to tell us there is tampering this makes no freaking sense.

People's interpretations on a message board (which I agree with you that many were blind to see what was plainly obvious) have nothing to do with whether tampering took place or not.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

I have no idea how you are reaching this comparison. "Tampering" means they influenced his decisions against the rules. Whether or not the videos were definite statements of intent has nothing to do with whether or not they indicate tampering. You can tamper with someone even if they decide to stay where they are.
    BillS

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
    Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...

38. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Heard on NBA Radio a few minutes ago the NBA has been investigating this since May. So this is not new.

40. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

According to the LA Times, the investigation has been going on for quite a while. They're saying depositions happened in May.
    http://www.latimes.com/sports/nba/la...820-story.html

The NBA said the law firm Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz is conducting the investigation. Lawyers from the NBA and the outside counsel the Lakers hired to review the matter each deposed Johnson, owner Jeanie Buss, and general manager Rob Pelinka in May, according to the officials.

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post: