Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 455

Thread: NBA to investigate Lakers re alleged George tampering. (Vecsey)

  1. #26
    LET'S PLAY FOOTBALL Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    23,961

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA to investigate Lakers re alleged George tampering. (Vecsey)

    and the Joe Smith scandal doesn't apply here. they actively and knowingly circumvented the salary cap. and even then, the league's original ruling was pretty damn excessive. Stern took FIVE 1st's from them, that's insane, something like that's never going to happen again short of something just incredibly egregious.

    also agree with Peck that Herb thinks something legitimately dirty happened, this isn't some petty "oh we lost our superstar poor us" thing.
    Last edited by Heisenberg; 08-20-2017 at 03:29 AM.

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


  3. #27
    Death or Glory Strummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,585
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA to investigate Lakers re alleged George tampering. (Vecsey)

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    we'll get no form of "compensation." if the Lakers lose picks or something those picks will just cease to exist in whatever draft it is. nothing about our situation is going to change.
    You don't know that. We filed the complaint because we felt we were damaged. There's no way to make us whole but the league can attempt to compensate us in some way.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:


  5. #28
    _________________________ RamBo_Lamar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,874

    Default Re: NBA to investigate Lakers re alleged George tampering. (Vecsey)



    The Lakers failure to prevent this is proof enough of how they orchestrated it.
    I hope they end up getting heavily sanctioned.


  6. The Following User Says Thank You to RamBo_Lamar For This Useful Post:


  7. #29
    "I'm your huckleberry"
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,246

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA to investigate Lakers re alleged George tampering. (Vecsey)

    It's the Lakers. They'll get a nominal fine and lose a 2024 2nd round pick.
    Spoiler Spoiler:

  8. #30
    Pacers fan in FL Deadshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    FLORIDA
    Posts
    2,159

    Default Re: NBA to investigate Lakers re alleged George tampering. (Vecsey)

    Quote Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's the Lakers. They'll get a nominal fine and lose a 2024 2nd round pick.
    Don't really understand this mindset and I see it all the time. Do people not remember "basketball reasons?"

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deadshot For This Useful Post:


  10. #31

    Default Re: NBA to investigate Lakers re alleged George tampering. (Vecsey)

    Can't see the NBA doing anything to significantly hurt the Lakers.
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to rock747 For This Useful Post:


  12. #32

    Default Re: NBA to investigate Lakers re alleged George tampering. (Vecsey)

    The league has before - Basketball Reasons (the Chris Paul trade.)

    Issue may be timing. Magic wasn't officially part of the Lakers until January. Kobe hasn't been since he retired and as a player he could do more legally. By the time Magic was hired - the word of PG wanting LA was already out there.

    Can LA be found guilty of tampering if guys aren't part of the organization at the time? I don't know. Not sure the Kimmel show was enough.

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2Cleva For This Useful Post:


  14. #33
    Member BornReady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Akron
    Posts
    2,939

    Default Re: NBA to investigate Lakers re alleged George tampering. (Vecsey)

    I'm sure there is more to it that we don't know. However, being able to haul multiple lottery picks and assets at the trade deadline to actually obtaining dipo sabonis when pg was actually traded is pretty strong circumstantial evidence as well.
    follow me @TruenoPanda - lets talk Pacers!

  15. #34
    Administrator Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    39
    Posts
    51,601

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA to investigate Lakers re alleged George tampering. (Vecsey)

    I doubt anything comes of this, but how amazing would it be if the Lakers were found guilty of tampering and Paul George decided not to go there next year for some reason?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:


  17. #35
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    35
    Posts
    33,076

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA to investigate Lakers re alleged George tampering. (Vecsey)

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I doubt anything comes of this, but how amazing would it be if the Lakers were found guilty of tampering and Paul George decided not to go there next year for some reason?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well, if they were guilty of tampering, the NBA would likely prohibit George from signing there for 1 year. Lots of precedent for that.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  18. #36
    --------- freddielewis14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    indianapolis
    Posts
    8,032

    Default Re: NBA to investigate Lakers re alleged George tampering. (Vecsey)

    Quote Originally Posted by rock747 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can't see the NBA doing anything to significantly hurt the Lakers.
    If there is evidence of anything the Lakers will be punished severely. The NBA and owners are bigger than the Lakers.

    Also, the NBA isn't going to interrogate an NBA players family w/o reason.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to freddielewis14 For This Useful Post:


  20. #37
    Pacers Fan in England Eamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Bristol, England
    Age
    30
    Posts
    342

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA to investigate Lakers re alleged George tampering. (Vecsey)

    I couldn't stand how this whole situation played out through the offseason and even the end of the season. It's been tiring and a joke and Lakers fans have been unbearably stuck up throughout - Johnson included. He and the fans all seem to believe they have a devine right to whoever they want because they've had a history of being good and that's a messed up attitude to have.

    I would hate to see him in a Lakers jersey and think if he does he'll be hated for it after all this. I really hope he never ends up there and if the Lakers do well without him based on their drafting in the last few years then fine but through acting the way they have and then getting what they want like a screaming child in a supermarket? F--- that.
    Pacers fan since April 9th 2004 - New Jersey 80 Indiana 90.
    Went to NFL UK in London, Oct. 2016 (1 Colts game)
    Visited Indy from Nov. 11-28th 2016 (8 Pacers games, 2 Colts)
    Went to Global Game in London, Jan. 2017 (1 Pacers game)
    Visiting Indy again from Dec. 2-20th 2017 (7 Pacers games, 1 Colts)

  21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Eamer For This Useful Post:


  22. #38
    Death or Glory Strummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,585
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA to investigate Lakers re alleged George tampering. (Vecsey)

    Quote Originally Posted by freddielewis14 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Also, the NBA isn't going to interrogate an NBA players family w/o reason.
    That's what I think too. They wouldn't hire a law firm for an independent investigation just on mere suspicion. They have to know something more substantial than just the Magic wink.

    Interesting, apparently three teams were fined for tampering in 2013. You can read about it here.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...arges/2409499/

    Those teams tampered by mentioning upcoming free agents from other teams to the media, in email to season ticket holders and/or in web site articles. Not quite as severe as the PG situation (if it happened) since PG was still under contract for another season. It sounds like those three teams just jumped the gun on free agency by a month or so.

    And here's the definition of tampering and the prescribed penalties from that article.

    The definition of tampering was provided in the memo, and reads as follows.

    "Article 35A of the NBA Constitution states that it's a violation of the league's anti-tampering rule for any person affiliated with an NBA team to directly or indirectly (i) entice, induce, or persuade, or attempt to entice, induce or persuade, any player, coach, GM or other person under contract to any other NBA team to enter into negotiations for or relating to that person's services or to negotiate or contract for such services, or (ii) otherwise interfere with the employment relationship between that employee and the other NBA team."

    The Constitution also says that potential penalties for tampering include suspension of the offending person, prohibition of the offending team from hiring the person being tampered with, forfeiture of draft picks, and individual and/or team fines of up to $5 million.

  23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:


  24. #39

    Default Re: NBA to investigate Lakers re alleged George tampering. (Vecsey)

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadshot View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't really understand this mindset and I see it all the time. Do people not remember "basketball reasons?"
    Yeah people conveniently ignore this along with them saying a few weeks ago how PG was overrated and not worth much.

    Now you guys are talking about how the Lakers will suffer if PG doesn't go there.

    If he's as overrated as you say he is then it won't matter.

    The Lakers are bigger than any player that has come and gone and they've had LEGENDS.

    Besides if LeBrat ends up going to the Lakers(ugh) Paul George won't really mean much to them.

  25. #40

    Default Re: NBA to investigate Lakers re alleged George tampering. (Vecsey)

    Double post

  26. #41
    Death or Glory Strummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,585
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA to investigate Lakers re alleged George tampering. (Vecsey)

    And then there's this:

    ...
    When the Miami Heat were discovered to have tampered with Pat Riley in 1995 by negotiating with him when he was still the coach of the New York Knicks, the Heat agreed to compensate the Knicks with $1 million and their first-round draft pick in 1996 to avoid a penalty from the league.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...rge/584084001/

  27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:


  28. #42

    Default Re: NBA to investigate Lakers re alleged George tampering. (Vecsey)

    Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Small price to pay considering the 3 titles they got out of Pat Riley.

    And the Knicks? *crickets*

  29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:


  30. #43
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    41
    Posts
    9,773

    Default Re: NBA to investigate Lakers re alleged George tampering. (Vecsey)

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dollars to donuts Vecsey got that from Walsh. They've got something.
    Yeah, that's very, very likely indeed. They go back a looooooong way.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  31. #44
    Member Grimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    10,775

    Default Re: NBA to investigate Lakers re alleged George tampering. (Vecsey)

    Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    Problem is Lakers 2018 pick belongs to the Celtics.

  32. #45
    FREE LANCE MillerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    5,551

    Default Re: NBA to investigate Lakers re alleged George tampering. (Vecsey)

    Quote Originally Posted by DrBadd01 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    IF the Lakers are found guilty of this could they be banned from signing PG after this year? I think that would be poetic justice.
    I think the Lakers would be more interested in LeBron and Westbrook
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.



  33. #46
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    32
    Posts
    31,699

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA to investigate Lakers re alleged George tampering. (Vecsey)

    Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think the Lakers would be more interested in LeBron and Westbrook
    Now wouldn't that be some poetic justice. The Lakers are slapped on the wrist by not being able to sign PG for a year, PG watches Bron and his new teammate Russ go to his dream destination, and he's left standing when the music stops in his own game of musical chairs.

  34. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:


  35. #47
    Member Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,990

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA to investigate Lakers re alleged George tampering. (Vecsey)

    I'll be surprised if this goes anywhere. If it happens to, does Paul likely stay in OKC, or move on to a new not-LA team? Actually, speaking of LA, what about the Clippers?

    As for the Pacers, is the reason they're upset because they believe they could have convinced Paul to stay if the Lakers had not tampered? If not, what else would it be, trade value?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

  36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


  37. #48
    Member vnzla81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    36
    Posts
    35,193

    Default Re: NBA to investigate Lakers re alleged George tampering. (Vecsey)

    Same people that didn't think the video was enough proof PG was leaving months ago now are telling us that the video shows enough proof for tampering
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

  38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vnzla81 For This Useful Post:


  39. #49
    Death or Glory Strummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,585
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA to investigate Lakers re alleged George tampering. (Vecsey)

    Confirmation from the NBA.

    NBA statement on investigation into alleged tampering violation

    Official release

    Aug 20, 2017 3:19 PM ET
    NEW YORK -- The following statement has been issued by Mike Bass, Executive Vice President, Communications:

    "At the request of the Indiana Pacers, the NBA opened an investigation into alleged tampering by the Los Angeles Lakers. The independent investigation is being conducted by the law firm Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz. The Lakers have been cooperative and, at this point, no findings have been made. We have asked both teams to refrain from commenting while the investigation is ongoing."
    http://www.nba.com/article/2017/08/2...eged-tampering

  40. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:


  41. #50
    TRADE MONTA Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55 - Now, Then, Forever
    Posts
    7,863

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA to investigate Lakers re alleged George tampering. (Vecsey)


    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "

  42. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •