Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819

Thread: NBA to investigate Lakers re alleged George tampering. (Vecsey)

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: NBA to investigate Lakers re alleged George tampering. (Vecsey)

Some interesting points on the subject from Zach Lowe and Howard Beck (Bleacher Report) on Zach's podcast starting at 50:00 or so:

http://podbay.fm/show/986595124/e/15...82?autostart=1

There's a discussion about how egregious the conduct from LAL was vs. the usual 2 weeks before the July 1st new league year mark, how the $500K was entirely meaningless, did nothing at all to discourage other teams from tampering. I wish I could unpack all they talk about, but it was nice to hear people entirely unaffiliated with the Pacers organization discuss the saga without pimping the same ole line about how the Pacers are babies and should get over it, et al.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drew46229 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Drew46229 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Some interesting points on the subject from Zach Lowe and Howard Beck (Bleacher Report) on Zach's podcast starting at 50:00 or so:

There's a discussion about how egregious the conduct from LAL was vs. the usual 2 weeks before the July 1st new league year mark, how the $500K was entirely meaningless, did nothing at all to discourage other teams from tampering. I wish I could unpack all they talk about, but it was nice to hear people entirely unaffiliated with the Pacers organization discuss the saga without pimping the same ole line about how the Pacers are babies and should get over it, et al.
    Yeh, 500k is total chump change to a billionaire like jeannie buss. She probably spends that much just jet-setting around every month. More suitable would be to make it so pg can't play for the lakers for like 4-5 seasons. That would punish them far more than a mere 500k fine which is a total joke.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The NBA could have suspended Magic Johnson from being affiliated with the Lakers from Memorial Day to Labor Day for a few years. Magic is there to sit in the meetings with free agents and convince them to sign with the Lakers. Not allowing him to do that would have been better punishment than a fine.
    #DBAP

5. The Following User Says Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Drew46229 View Post

Nice to see some cold water thrown on that narrative by people without a dog in the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    There aremore teams like the Pacers out there than there are the Lakers. I doubt Portland is going to keep tabs on Indiana for Indiana taking the fight to the Lakers. That makes no sense. It's like watching the theft victim to make sure they're not hypocrites rather than watching the ring of thieves.

Now if Indiana signs a Laker FA right at the deadline, then sure, LA would probably raise a stink.
    It would depend on the player. They didn't care when we signed Jordan Hill.