Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA to investigate Lakers re alleged George tampering. (Vecsey)

Undefeated

Default Re: NBA to investigate Lakers re alleged George tampering. (Vecsey)

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If they can find communication between the two parties
    Bah, that's just assumed. Representatives of PG speaking to NBA teams are speaking on behalf of PG.
    Danger Zone

Undefeated

The ultimate irony would be if the Pacers have an email from Magic from their trade talks where he writes:
    "We spoke with Paul George and he's signing here next year anyway."
    Danger Zone

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rogco For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Playing catch-up, and I'm totally surprised by the number of people who wants the Pacers to move on. Did we all forget how the LA was making moves on draft night as they were 100% sure of getting PG? They didn't even leave us a poo poo platter. Honestly, I think the Thunder trade and KP not panicking threw a wrench in the works.

Personally, I believe they were something happening behind scenes. It's as simple as Paul George wanting to "win", but yet he wants to go to the Lakers in the Western Conference. That makes zero sense to me. Real talk, if LA becomes a Top 3 team next season after the offseason, well....that says it all for me.

I will check, but I ever recall a bottom feeder team becoming a dominant team after one season.

Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

Undefeated

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    Playing catch-up, and I'm totally surprised by the number of people who wants the Pacers to move on. Did we all forget how the LA was making moves on draft night as they were 100% sure of getting PG? They didn't even leave us a poo poo platter. Honestly, I think the Thunder trade and KP not panicking threw a wrench in the works.
    Agreed. The report right now is that the Kimmel interview is not the source of the tampering. My guess is the Pacers are trying to prove that something happened between June 15, when PG said he planned to remain a Pacer and his camp was telling other NBA teams they didn't expect him to be traded at the draft, and June 18, when he came out and said he was leaving for the Lakers and his camp was telling other teams that he wouldn't sign for them.
    Danger Zone

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Pacers aren't filing charges because they're trying to put an end to tampering or whatever noble bs thats been suggested.

They're filing tampering charges BC they feel they were wronged somehow. That's well within their right, but doesn't make it any less petty in my eyes.
    People who feel like they've been wronged, who have avenues to get recompense, go down that avenue? This is ground breaking stuff.

Sounds like your problem is with tampering rules in general. If pursuing a tampering team is petty, then the whole set of rules is petty.

Obviously the NBA and it's owners vehemently disagree or the rules wouldn't have been put in place or at least would have been scrapped prior to the little Pacers using it as revenge.
    ďJust because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.Ē ― Ricky Gervais.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    People who feel like they've been wronged, who have avenues to get recompense, go down that avenue? This is ground breaking stuff.

Sounds like your problem is with tampering rules in general. If pursuing a tampering team is petty, then the whole set of rules is petty.

Obviously the NBA and it's owners vehemently disagree or the rules wouldn't have been put in place or at least would have been scrapped prior to the little Pacers using it as revenge.
    I don't really have an issue with it all. I've said it a million times, the Pacers are well within their rights. Again, I just think its petty, thats all.

As it currently stands, the league seemingly turns a blind eye to this sort of thing unless one of two things happen: a team representative discusses an opposing teams player through the media, or a team files a tampering claim against another.

Solely going off of what I've read, conversations with players about potentially playing for opposing teams seems to be fairly common place.

This would lead me to believe the Pacers have had this done to them previously and have even done this with opposing players themselves at one point or another. That on top of the personal revenge aspect of things is why I think its petty.

IF the NBA legislated the rule more clearly or consistently then who knows how things would differ. Perhaps my point of view would be different as well. But they don't. Or at least they haven't

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Arguing aside, my gut is that there's more that hasn't been revealed, that will likely change some folks minds about how petty this is. Knowing how often these under the table talks occur, how often do you see a team actually bring tampering against someone? It has to be something beyond the normal crap.

Guess there's no real point in arguing it, however, until the investigation and ruling is completed. It's just hypothesis at this point.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rogco View Post
    What's key is being able to link any LA communication with PG's decision to tell all other teams that he wouldn't sign with them if he was traded to them. The real issue isn't that tampering made PG want to go to LA. It's that tampering inhibited the Pacers ability to operate within the bounds of the NBA rules and regulations. If the Pacers can only prove that LA contacted PG than any penalty will be minor. If the Pacers can prove that LA's communication lead PG to tell other teams he would only sign with LA, then there will be serious repercussions.

It's a fine line, but the distinction is that convincing a player to sign as a free agent in his home town is a negligible offense, but convincing a player to ruin his trade value for the team that he is still contractually obligated too is a major offense.
    That may be your issue but the NBA rules state contact is the concern, not the consequences of that contact.

Any proven contact besides the wink on TV will result in major penalties - regardless of trade return.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 2Cleva For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    Arguing aside, my gut is that there's more that hasn't been revealed, that will likely change some folks minds about how petty this is. Knowing how often these under the table talks occur, how often do you see a team actually bring tampering against someone? It has to be something beyond the normal crap.

Guess there's no real point in arguing it, however, until the investigation and ruling is completed. It's just hypothesis at this point.
    Honestly, I believe it goes beyond Paul George, and there may be additional players involved. Paul George is smart enough to know that he wasn't carrying the Lakers to a championship by myself.

Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I don't really have an issue with it all. I've said it a million times, the Pacers are well within their rights. Again, I just think its petty, thats all.

As it currently stands, the league seemingly turns a blind eye to this sort of thing unless one of two things happen: a team representative discusses an opposing teams player through the media, or a team files a tampering claim against another.

Solely going off of what I've read, conversations with players about potentially playing for opposing teams seems to be fairly common place.

This would lead me to believe the Pacers have had this done to them previously and have even done this with opposing players themselves at one point or another. That on top of the personal revenge aspect of things is why I think its petty.

IF the NBA legislated the rule more clearly or consistently then who knows how things would differ. Perhaps my point of view would be different as well. But they don't. Or at least they haven't
    It's not petty. If this slides, then this just opens the door for future occurrences. Clearly, the organization believes something happened where it warranted an investigation and then a filling. Either Paul George told them a bold face lie, or he meant what he said to suddenly change his mind due to an undisclosed reason. And NO...the supposedly targeted FAs was NOT the reason.

Common sense will tell you that LA is not in a position to compete, and it's rare for a superstar, in his prime, to sign with a bottom feeder team... especially when said superstar "wants to win".

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    Paul George is smart enough
    I think the one thing this entire sordid deal, and even events much prior, have shown is that the above is not true....
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

20. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

The more I have thought about this the more I am convinced that this is not just the Kimmel thing. If it were just that, then this would already be over with and would have ended about a week after the Pacers reported it. You don't take depositions, hire an outside law firm and conduct a couple of month long investigation based on something that was very public and very visible. Why would you? By definition what he did was tampering so that is not even something that needs deep thought. The league would have just admonished Magic and told him to go forth and sin no more and would have issued a statement that he has been warned not to do that again and that would have been the end of it.

Hell the Lakers nor Magic would have even put up a fuss about it. They all would have just brushed it off as Magic being Magic and he now knows better. The league would have told him not to do it all the while winking back at him. The Pacers would still feel ripped off but would know there was nothing to do so they would have issued a statement accepting the league's decision and that they were moving on.

No, this is something far more complex IMO. Herb may have felt disrespected by Magic with the "wink, wink" but IMO he would not make such a public stand over it.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Undefeated

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    The more I have thought about this the more I am convinced that this is not just the Kimmel thing. If it were just that, then this would already be over with and would have ended about a week after the Pacers reported it. You don't take depositions, hire an outside law firm and conduct a couple of month long investigation based on something that was very public and very visible. Why would you? By definition what he did was tampering so that is not even something that needs deep thought. The league would have just admonished Magic and told him to go forth and sin no more and would have issued a statement that he has been warned not to do that again and that would have been the end of it.

Hell the Lakers nor Magic would have even put up a fuss about it. They all would have just brushed it off as Magic being Magic and he now knows better. The league would have told him not to do it all the while winking back at him. The Pacers would still feel ripped off but would know there was nothing to do so they would have issued a statement accepting the league's decision and that they were moving on.

No, this is something far more complex IMO. Herb may have felt disrespected by Magic with the "wink, wink" but IMO he would not make such a public stand over it.
    Woj said it's not about Kimmel. I think the Pacers may know things that happened, but that doesn't mean they have proof.
    Danger Zone

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Rogco For This Useful Post:

Well, yeah, Kravitz said they thought Lakers were communicating with PG's family. I still think the video is the piece they are hanging their hat on to validate the rumors and to show that the entire thing needs investigated.
    So no, it's not solely the video, but the video is the smoking gun IMO. It's actual, physical, evidence even if it's nothing (overly terrible) by itself. But without it I bet there's nothing but rumors and whispered hearsay regarding the juicier stuff.

Of course all that said, we'll find out PG told Lance everything and Lance felt compelled to report it....
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Well, yeah, Kravitz said they thought Lakers were communicating with PG's family. I still think the video is the piece they are hanging their hat on to validate the rumors and to show that the entire thing needs investigated.
    So no, it's not solely the video, but the video is the smoking gun IMO. It's actual, physical, evidence even if it's nothing (overly terrible) by itself. But without it I bet there's nothing but rumors and whispered hearsay regarding the juicier stuff.

Of course all that said, we'll find out PG told Lance everything and Lance felt compelled to report it....
    If that were true I would demand a statue be erected to Lance at season end.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

27. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...ng-paul-george

The possibility of impermissible contact between Los Angeles Lakers president of basketball operations Magic Johnson and four-time All-Star Paul George is at the crux of an NBA probe into tampering, league sources tell ESPN.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:

If it were the Kimmel thing, the NBA would have been proactive about getting on Magic's case. They weren't. He (literally, I think) gave a wink and a nod, but that's not grounds for tampering. Tampering is a legal issue--throw assumptions or "codes" or anything else out the window.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I hope you're right.
    Pacers fan since April 9th 2004 - New Jersey 80 Indiana 90.
    Went to NFL UK in London, Oct. 2016 (1 Colts game)
    Visited Indy from Nov. 11-28th 2016 (8 Pacers games, 2 Colts)
    Went to Global Game in London, Jan. 2017 (1 Pacers game)
    Visiting Indy again from Dec. 2-20th 2017 (7 Pacers games, 1 Colts)

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I am usually the type that would say the pacers should just drop this and move on, but something about this whole thing, that has me ready for battle, so I say bring it on, inflict some pain on the Lakers. Make um bleed. Liked the part from Kravitz where other small market teams are cheering the pacers on.
    I guess the small market teams don't include: Cleveland, Golden State, and San Antonio.

The Lakers haven't been good in years I don't get why people have a beef with them now.

You might as well take an issue with the Knicks while you're at it for being a big media market.

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Some people actually feel like they must tell the truth under oath.
    Nobody is on trial here and they are from L.A. so why would they go against him being closer to home?

Pritchard running to the NBA offices with the Cavs return for Kyrie like he's ****ing Usain Bolt right now probably lol.

35. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    I guess the small market teams don't include: Cleveland, Golden State, and San Antonio.

The Lakers haven't been good in years I don't get why people have a beef with them now.

You might as well take an issue with the Knicks while you're at it for being a big media market.

Nobody is on trial here and they are from L.A. so why would they go against him being closer to home?
    Golden State is not small market. It is the 5th largest market in the US. If they are small market only New York and LA are big markets. Why do people keep calling Golden State small market? Because they play in Oakland instead of San Francisco? If we go by city size alone Indianapolis would be in the top half of the NBA, and would be decidedly NOT small market (neither would San Antonio and Jacksonville). The San Fran-Oakland-San Jose CSA is just shy of 9 million people, it is not small market. Just because Golden State has sucked for most of its existence does not make it small market.

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

If there was tampering it has cost the Pacers money. It damaged their corporation. It may seem petty to you, but it isn't your team nor your money.

39. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rogco View Post
    What's key is being able to link any LA communication with PG's decision to tell all other teams that he wouldn't sign with them if he was traded to them. The real issue isn't that tampering made PG want to go to LA. It's that tampering inhibited the Pacers ability to operate within the bounds of the NBA rules and regulations. If the Pacers can only prove that LA contacted PG than any penalty will be minor. If the Pacers can prove that LA's communication lead PG to tell other teams he would only sign with LA, then there will be serious repercussions.

It's a fine line, but the distinction is that convincing a player to sign as a free agent in his home town is a negligible offense, but convincing a player to ruin his trade value for the team that he is still contractually obligated too is a major offense.
    Not according to the NBA rules.

Undefeated

Quote Originally Posted by 2Cleva View Post
    Not according to the NBA rules.
    Yes it is. The rules state that the the commissioner has some discretion. He's not an idiot and isn't going to punish for minor infractions. But he also knows he needs to put the hammer down for major infractions to stop repeat offenses.
    Danger Zone

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo