Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA to investigate Lakers re alleged George tampering. (Vecsey)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: NBA to investigate Lakers re alleged George tampering. (Vecsey)

The Pacers didn't bring this charge over the freaking Kimmel tape lmao

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Vecsey also reports Magic, Pelinka & Buss were asked to turn over "any correspondence pertaining to" George, including his agent & parents.
    Kevin O'Connor (@KevinOConnorNBA) August 20, 2017

Just a theory here and I have nothing to back this up but hear me out. I almost suspect this really is more on Paul's camp. In other words someone on behalf of Paul reached out to the Lakers to find out is they would be willing to go all in on signing him as a free agent or making whatever moves needed to be made to get him there before his contract was up. Instead of rebuffing whoever contacted them as they should have the Lakers engaged in a hypothetical conversation. Giving Paul the knowledge that no matter what he could go home (thus his agents declaration) and ultimately screwing the Pacers in both the fact that Paul was leaving no matter what and in leverage since Paul had an informal agreement in place to go home.

Now at the end of the day will this do anything to anyone? Well the Timberwolves were screwed hard for years over Joe Smith, but this is the Lakers were talking about not the Twolves. Depending on the evidence I could see this being nothing or a fine. I doubt if they lose draft picks or are prohibited in signing George.
    Yeah the league has no choice but to investigate because the Pacers brought the charges but no way they punish the Lakers like they punished the Wolves and Miami a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    The Pacers didn't bring this charge over the freaking Kimmel tape lmao
    I said it at the time - if Magic was so brazen to wink like a jackass on national tv, then God only knows what happened behind the scenes.

The Lakers and PG both probably expected the Pacers to fold on draft night with their tail tucked in between their legs by accepting whatever toilet bowl crap the Lakers were offering. Pritchard standing up to the hostage taking threw a wrench in their plans.

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Generally speaking, I'm not a fan of my team trying to call out others on technicalities. I'd rather my team tough it out and rise above this kind of stuff. If you're going to have a "tough" persona, then you have to act that way through and through.

That said, I would not be surprised if there's something truly going on here. The escalation in the press would likely not be happening unless there was something real here that the Lakers were ultimately held accountable for. I doubt it'll help the Pacers in any meaningful way, and I sure as hell hope that we end this line of inquiry here.

Time to move on.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:

Mood

This is crap or the Pacers; I feel giving whatever fine, or whatever forfeit the opposition has to the Pacers is only right.
    Why so SERIOUS

I think the guy to watch in this is Lebron. Lebron wants the NBA to change forever IMO, he wants players to hold all the cards and that's his end game. If PG is punished or this impacts Lebron's plans I think the NBA could have a big issue on their hands. Which is why I think anything that happens on a punishment stand point would ultimately not impact PG or Lakers ability to sign free agents.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by docpaul View Post
    Generally speaking, I'm not a fan of my team trying to call out others on technicalities. I'd rather my team tough it out and rise above this kind of stuff. If you're going to have a "tough" persona, then you have to act that way through and through.

That said, I would not be surprised if there's something truly going on here. The escalation in the press would likely not be happening unless there was something real here that the Lakers were ultimately held accountable for. I doubt it'll help the Pacers in any meaningful way, and I sure as hell hope that we end this line of inquiry here.

Time to move on.
    I cannot thank this enough

So it's better to just be a pushover and let other teams run over you and get away with it just because they're led by a famous player with a lovable smile?

Tampering isn't a technicality, lol it's actually a very serious violation. Stepping once inch off the sideline during a fight and getting suspended because of it is a technciality.

13. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Mood

I would also think that there is more to this than just the tampering allegations.

With the state of the league, and all the issues that small market teams have acquiring and retaining stars, this is a small market team standing up for itself against a big market team as well as the strong arm of the media. This investigation could set a precedence going forward. Should the Pacers sit back and do nothing, it would seem as if they were condoning the actions of Magic on national TV, as well as any other interactions between the media, Lakers, agents, families, etc involved.

I know at this point, it feels like the scorned lover that got cheated on, and we should move on, but at the same time, PG being under contract which specifically disallows tampering is like him breaking his prenup. IF tampering did occur, and PG, or someone in his camp, participated, it is a violation of his contractual obligation to the Pacers. Players expect penalties and payoffs should the team default on their side of that contract, why should the player not be held to their responsibilities within that same contract??

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ejwallace For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    So it's better to just be a pushover and let other teams run over you and get away with it just because they're led by a famous player with a lovable smile?

Tampering isn't a technicality, lol it's actually a very serious violation. Stepping once inch off the sideline during a fight and getting suspended because of it is a technciality.
    I presume this is in response to my comment.

I'm all for holding teams accountable to the rules.

I just would prefer that it's not my team crying to mommy (the league front office). It's just my personal preference, and consistent with the "tough" persona that Pritchard espoused at the end of the year.

Respect is earned, not given.

Just my $0.02.

Typical

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2Cleva For This Useful Post:

Undefeated

I just would prefer that it's not my team crying to mommy (the league front office). It's just my personal preference, and consistent with the "tough" persona that Pritchard espoused at the end of the year.

Just my $0.02.
    I don't understand this post at all. So your all for punishing teams that break the rules, unless that team broke the rules in a way that hurt the team you support??? Also, isn't the Pacers' standing up for themselves against LA actually the "tough" thing to do, instead of rolling over and letting Magic stick it in our ?
    Danger Zone

20. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Rogco For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Just my $0.02.
    Letting yourself get taken advantage of does not earn respect.

22. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Just my $0.02.
    This is such a backwards way of thinking. This isn't the Pacers calling some bs protest of a game where the officials blew an obvious call.

Had Paul George changed his mind and re-signed with the Pacers this summer, they should have still gone forward with tampering charges if they think something is there. Tampering goes against the integrity of the league and how it operates. Doing nothing enables it to continue to happen in the future.

Acting "tough" by doing nothing about something that's wrong/illegal is a pretty poor way of going about things, NBA or not. Why can't the Pacers be a tough minded team and take action against those that break the rules/laws?

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bunt For This Useful Post:

The Pacers didn't get taken advantage of in any way. Paul didnt want to play in Indy anymore. Period. He wanted to play for LA, the Pacers didnt oblige, and everyone has moved on...minus KP and the Pacers

The franchise has been playing the victim role in all of this since the summer. The filing of tampering charges is just a part of it all.

Its the leagues duty to perform due dilligence, so that's understandable. Perhaps a fine will come due to Magic mentioning a player on a different team as a target acquisition. I'd be highly surprised if anything more than that comes of it though, so hopefully that will help mend KP's feelings.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    The Pacers didn't get taken advantage of in any way. Paul didnt want to play in Indy anymore. Period. He wanted to play for LA, the Pacers didnt oblige, and everyone has moved on...minus KP and the Pacers

The franchise has been playing the victim role in all of this since the summer. The filing of tampering charges is just a part of it all.

Its the leagues duty to perform due dilligence, so that's understandable. Perhaps a fine will come due to Magic mentioning a player on a different team as a target acquisition. I'd be highly surprised if anything more than that comes of it though, so hopefully that will help mend KP's feelings.
    I think somehow you might be more offended with how KP's reacted than KP is offended that PG wanted out.

Nothing may come of the tampering charges. Likely won't be anything more than a fine. But it doesn't mean the Pacers are wrong for taking action. They're not "crying to mommy" or acting any less tough, whatever that can possibly mean.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bunt For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rogco View Post
    I don't understand this post at all. So your all for punishing teams that break the rules, unless that team broke the rules in a way that hurt the team you support??? Also, isn't the Pacers' standing up for themselves against LA actually the "tough" thing to do, instead of rolling over and letting Magic stick it in our ?
    LOL. Again, I said both times that this is just my opinion. So feel free to disagree.

I just believe that it should be up to the NBA front office to oversee such things... and teams should leave it to the commissioner to police the rules. If the commissioner approached Pritchard to clarify his view of the circumstance, that'd be one thing, but when Pritchard goes and cries to mommy about a breach of the rules... well, it's just not my preferred way of dealing with things.

You might be different!

The worst part of it, of course... is that we have to continue to be reminded of this event, vs. celebrating our opportunity for a cultural reset. The past is not our identity... our future is.
    Last edited by docpaul; 08-21-2017 at 01:56 PM.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:

LOL. Again, I said both times that this is just my opinion. So feel free to disagree.

I just believe that it should be up to the NBA front office to oversee such things... and teams should leave it to the commissioner to police the rules. If the commissioner approached Pritchard to clarify his view of the circumstance, that'd be one thing, but when Pritchard goes and cries to mommy about a breach of the rules... well, it's just not my preferred way of dealing with things.

You might be different!

The worst part of it, of course... is that we have to continue to be reminded of this event, vs. celebrating our opportunity for a cultural reset. The past is not our identity... our future is.
    I mean clearly he disagrees, he's just discussing your post.

But should bullying be left to the teachers and principals and students shouldn't worry about. I know that's stretching it a tad, but the league office/commissioner certainly aren't all knowing. The Pacers could be privy to information that the league office isn't.

And filing a tampering charge doesn't prevent any celebration of a cultural reset. Doesn't make it anyone's identity. Doesn't affect the current team one iota.

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bunt For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post

I guess the people saying this completely missed the fact that the league started investigating BEFORE Simon filed.

34. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to freddielewis14 For This Useful Post:

I'm cracking up at all the " Who cares " articles i'm seeing now. This is why Indiana and other similar teams will never compete in the NBA and it's a major issue that's being ignored.

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Foul on Smits For This Useful Post:

You might be different!

But isn't that what the team is doing? They reported and the league is investigating. The league is under no obligation to rule in our favor unless they find a blatant provable violation. So in essence the commissioner is policing this.

Why would the league proactively investigate this? In reality there is nothing between the Pacers, the Lakers and Paul George. He was traded to another team so why would the league investigate this on their own unless they felt the Kimmel tape was enough, which I cannot believe it would be.

To me there has to be something, some kind of hard evidence, or I just can not see Herb Simon allow this. He cares way to much about his league wide reputation to jump to accusing another team of tampering.

I get the "let's get over it and move on" idea, really I do. I'm actually past Paul George and ready for a new team (I hated last seasons team for the most part). But that does not mean that I am OK if there is actual proof beyond the Kimmel thing that they interfered. Now if we are all going on just the Kimmel tape then yes we are going to look stupid as hell when the league says there is no tampering. But if it's more? Nah, I think something needs to be done.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

38. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Mood

This isn't a "letter of the law" versus "spirit of the law" thing. If it were just one of the gentleman's agreement rules, then I could see the argument for letting bygones be bygones and just moving on. But if there's something to find here, tampering is a serious violation of an actual NBA rule. You're not talking about Lance Stephenson putting in 2 extra points on a lay up in the closing seconds. You're talking about big market toying with small market, the media gleefully playing along, and an actual violation that can potentially wreck a franchise in the right circumstances.

We all agreed how strange it was that PG specifically singled out the Lakers as his preference. Just wanting to leave? OK, fine, I get it. But wanting to leave and specifically targeting a franchise that has been hot garbage for years? In the Western Conference? While going on and on about how he wants to win? C'mon, it looks strange to anyone. So if the team has enough to file for investigation, they must feel like real rules were broken. In which case, standing up against a Goliath like LA and its media for the rules is a pretty strong move for the Pacers.

I just hope something comes out of it that proves they broke the rules. Because if it doesn't, then yeah, we look like crybabies, just the Colts did with Deflategate and the AFC Champ Game Participant banner. So, if the risk v. reward isn't a strong enough bet, then I could definitely see the preference to keep quiet and move on. But, as has been mentioned, Simon has spent decades protecting his reputation, and I don't think he'd throw it away on a silly, childish attempt to tattle on another franchise for a few (obnoxious) winks on a talk show.
    It's a new day for Pacers Basketball.

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    But isn't that what the team is doing? They reported and the league is investigating. The league is under no obligation to rule in our favor unless they find a blatant provable violation. So in essence the commissioner is policing this.

Why would the league proactively investigate this? In reality there is nothing between the Pacers, the Lakers and Paul George. He was traded to another team so why would the league investigate this on their own unless they felt the Kimmel tape was enough, which I cannot believe it would be.

To me there has to be something, some kind of hard evidence, or I just can not see Herb Simon allow this. He cares way to much about his league wide reputation to jump to accusing another team of tampering.

I get the "let's get over it and move on" idea, really I do. I'm actually past Paul George and ready for a new team (I hated last seasons team for the most part). But that does not mean that I am OK if there is actual proof beyond the Kimmel thing that they interfered. Now if we are all going on just the Kimmel tape then yes we are going to look stupid as hell when the league says there is no tampering. But if it's more? Nah, I think something needs to be done.
    I have a slightly different view of it.

I think this sort of "tampering" happens all of the time, and that the league is more or less complicit in allowing it to happen.

Of course, if the rules were followed to the letter, many fines would be administered... but that's not happening.

I think there's an overwhelming preponderance of evidence that this happens on a regular basis. For example, do people really believe that a player agrees to a contract 1-2 hours after meeting with a new club in free agency?

So, what again is the point of calling out the Lakers on it, outside of some smoking gun evidence? Is there even a need for that evidence? Isn't it more or less obvious what's been going on?

I just wish the league would either enforce the rules on the teams' behalf, or not have a rule around this.

I don't think that the Pacers' sticking their neck out there in the current milieu is helpful, but that's just my opinion.

42. The Following User Says Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Of course, if the rules were followed to the letter, many fines would be administered... but that's not happening.
    Haven't some of the reports about this talked about quite a few fines that have been levied recently and just not hyped because they weren't as drastic asd the TWolves?

The league isn't omnipresent or omniscient - they won't see everything. If some additional evidence came into the hands of the team as part of being so close to the situation, the move isn't to say, "well, if the league didn't see this that's just tough for us."
    BillS

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
    Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...

44. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Just my $0.02.
    Have you considered the Pacers are not crying? They are instead cussing.

46. The Following User Says Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post: