Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 455

Thread: NBA to investigate Lakers re alleged George tampering. (Vecsey)

  1. #1
    The Prodigal Lance Willbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia
    Posts
    469
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default NBA to investigate Lakers re alleged George tampering. (Vecsey)

    https://twitter.com/petervecsey1/sta...92218774007808

    Wow. Didn't think this would ever happen.
    "He's a strong physical presence out there on both ends of the court. He's a man. There's a reason he was an All-Star." -- Vogel on David West

  2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Willbo For This Useful Post:


  3. #2

    Default Re: NBA to investigate Lakers re alleged George tampering. (Vecsey)

    I'TS ABOUT DAMN TIME!

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Foul on Smits For This Useful Post:


  5. #3

    Default Re: NBA to investigate Lakers re alleged George tampering. (Vecsey)



  6. #4

    Default Re: NBA to investigate Lakers re alleged George tampering. (Vecsey)

    Wait. You have to pay $5 to read what he says. Nevermind. lol

  7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Foul on Smits For This Useful Post:


  8. #5
    Member MUpaceSIC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,317

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA to investigate Lakers re alleged George tampering. (Vecsey)



    Here's a good breakdown.

  9. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MUpaceSIC For This Useful Post:


  10. #6
    TRADE MONTA Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55 - Now, Then, Forever
    Posts
    7,863

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA to investigate Lakers re alleged George tampering. (Vecsey)

    Dollars to donuts Vecsey got that from Walsh. They've got something.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "

  11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:


  12. #7
    #LanceEffect TMJ31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    9,521

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA to investigate Lakers re alleged George tampering. (Vecsey)

    This is amazing! I am so happy right now! If the Lakers end up losing this I may actually cry tears of joy.

  13. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  14. #8
    '12 PD Sunshiner awardee Kemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    A-Town , Indiana
    Age
    42
    Posts
    5,092

    Default Re: NBA to investigate Lakers re alleged George tampering. (Vecsey)

    "They want to be famous. We want to be champions. They want to be rappers and backup dancers. We want to play football." - T.J. Ward, Denver Broncos

  15. The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to Kemo For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  16. #9
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    15,014

    Default Re: NBA to investigate Lakers re alleged George tampering. (Vecsey)

    Look if our conservative overly cautious owner and management team filed this then I feel pretty confident that they didn't just do this on a whim, they have to either know something or have something or they wouldn't risk this.

    That being said there was always something very shady about the way Magic went about his business regarding Paul. Most GM's would go out of their way to say they can't discuss players on another team or at the very least they would talk in theory (just enough so they couldn't get in trouble). But Magic literally gave us all the nod and the wink, before you say it that can not be the reason the Pacers did this. But it does lead me to believe if they were this careless then in all likelihood they were careless in other ways as well.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  17. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  18. #10
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    44
    Posts
    32,796

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA to investigate Lakers re alleged George tampering. (Vecsey)

    Just gonna be the debbie downer....but I doubt that anything comes of this.

    Someone that has a legal mind will have to chime in....but it sounds like it's going to be hard to prove that there was actual tampering. I'd like to believe that a "Wink Wink interview from Magic subtly hinting that PG13 should come to LaLaLand" would hold up in court....but I don't get the impression that it would hold up in court as actual tampering.
    Last edited by CableKC; 08-20-2017 at 01:28 AM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

  19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:


  20. #11
    2014 IKL Champion DrBadd01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    United States.
    Posts
    2,435

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA to investigate Lakers re alleged George tampering. (Vecsey)

    IF the Lakers are found guilty of this could they be banned from signing PG after this year? I think that would be poetic justice.
    PACER FAN ON STRIKE!!!-The moment the Pacers fire Larry Bird I will cheer for them again.

  21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DrBadd01 For This Useful Post:


  22. #12
    #LanceEffect TMJ31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    9,521

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA to investigate Lakers re alleged George tampering. (Vecsey)

    Quote Originally Posted by DrBadd01 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    IF the Lakers are found guilty of this could they be banned from signing PG after this year? I think that would be poetic justice.
    This would be the single greatest schadenfreude possible in this whole saga.

  23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:


  24. #13
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,672

    Default Re: NBA to investigate Lakers re alleged George tampering. (Vecsey)

    It probably is the winking TV appearance...
    Otherwise, who will be talking? Magic? PG? PG's agent? A friend of PG's he confided in? A scorned lover?

    Unless someone else in the know got screwed and doesn't care who they take down in the process, I just have a hard time of seeing anything beyond the obvious TV and maybe some social media posts that might be out there being what this is based on.
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  25. #14
    #LanceEffect TMJ31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    9,521

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA to investigate Lakers re alleged George tampering. (Vecsey)

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It probably is the winking TV appearance...
    Otherwise, who will be talking? Magic? PG? PG's agent? A friend of PG's he confided in? A scorned lover?

    Unless someone else in the know got screwed and doesn't care who they take down in the process, I just have a hard time of seeing anything beyond the obvious TV and maybe some social media posts that might be out there being what this is based on.
    I think the TV appearance alone should qualify as blatant tampering. But that's just me.

  26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:


  27. #15

    Default Re: NBA to investigate Lakers re alleged George tampering. (Vecsey)

    What's for sure is that this will be heavily downplayed in the media because we are the Pacers. If we were the Knicks, it would be top story sports news. I'm sure Stephen A will tell us all it's no big deal on Monday. If he mentions it at all.

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to Foul on Smits For This Useful Post:


  29. #16
    Member Eleazar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    10,286

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA to investigate Lakers re alleged George tampering. (Vecsey)

    Quote Originally Posted by TMJ31 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think the TV appearance alone should qualify as blatant tampering. But that's just me.
    While I agree, I'm not sure that would be enough to officially file allegations. I think it is enough to start having a conversation with league offices, but I don't think you file allegations without more evidence.

  30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:


  31. #17
    #LanceEffect TMJ31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    9,521

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA to investigate Lakers re alleged George tampering. (Vecsey)

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    While I agree, I'm not sure that would be enough to officially file allegations. I think it is enough to start having a conversation with league offices, but I don't think you file allegations without more evidence.
    Agreed. Which is why I think Peck is right... They have more evidence, or STRONG suspicions, that we aren't aware of.

  32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:


  33. #18
    2014 IKL Champion DrBadd01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    United States.
    Posts
    2,435

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA to investigate Lakers re alleged George tampering. (Vecsey)

    Quote Originally Posted by Foul on Smits View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What's for sure is that this will be heavily downplayed in the media because we are the Pacers. If we were the Knicks, it would be top story sports news. I'm sure Stephen A will tell us all it's no big deal on Monday. If he mentions it at all.
    On Monday ESPN will downplay this if they mention this at all. The less publicity this gets the better it is for their interests.
    PACER FAN ON STRIKE!!!-The moment the Pacers fire Larry Bird I will cheer for them again.

  34. The Following User Says Thank You to DrBadd01 For This Useful Post:


  35. #19

    Default Re: NBA to investigate Lakers re alleged George tampering. (Vecsey)




    Ya i know what that means Magic. I know. You're retarded. That's what that means.

  36. #20

    Default Re: NBA to investigate Lakers re alleged George tampering. (Vecsey)

    Quote Originally Posted by DrBadd01 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    On Monday ESPN will downplay this if they mention this at all. The less publicity this gets the better it is for their interests.
    ( not being a dick ) Ya that's what i said. Or what i'm saying.

  37. #21
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    15,014

    Default Re: NBA to investigate Lakers re alleged George tampering. (Vecsey)




    Just a theory here and I have nothing to back this up but hear me out. I almost suspect this really is more on Paul's camp. In other words someone on behalf of Paul reached out to the Lakers to find out is they would be willing to go all in on signing him as a free agent or making whatever moves needed to be made to get him there before his contract was up. Instead of rebuffing whoever contacted them as they should have the Lakers engaged in a hypothetical conversation. Giving Paul the knowledge that no matter what he could go home (thus his agents declaration) and ultimately screwing the Pacers in both the fact that Paul was leaving no matter what and in leverage since Paul had an informal agreement in place to go home.

    Now at the end of the day will this do anything to anyone? Well the Timberwolves were screwed hard for years over Joe Smith, but this is the Lakers were talking about not the Twolves. Depending on the evidence I could see this being nothing or a fine. I doubt if they lose draft picks or are prohibited in signing George.
    Last edited by Peck; 08-20-2017 at 01:37 AM.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  38. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:


  39. #22

    Default Re: NBA to investigate Lakers re alleged George tampering. (Vecsey)

    I'm in the camp that thinks that Kimmel video is enough for tampering.

  40. #23

    Default Re: NBA to investigate Lakers re alleged George tampering. (Vecsey)

    I also wonder if Jimmy Kimmel gets interviewed. These types of late night interviews are not spontaneous conversations. They are preconstructed questions that the host and the guest both know about. It's very very possible that whole bit was set up as a signal to Paul George. If you rewatch it a few times it becomes even more sketchy thinking about that.

    Not that Kimmel has any obligation to grant them any such interview to help any investigation.
    Last edited by Foul on Smits; 08-20-2017 at 01:53 AM.

  41. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Foul on Smits For This Useful Post:


  42. #24
    Death or Glory Strummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,592
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA to investigate Lakers re alleged George tampering. (Vecsey)

    If the Lakers have to forfeit draft picks, I'd like to see those picks come to the Pacers to somewhat make up for Paul's decreased trade value.

    Of course if it costs the Lakers two first round picks but they still end up with PG they'll be happy. They'll feel the tampering was worth it.

  43. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:


  44. #25
    LET'S PLAY FOOTBALL Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    23,963

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA to investigate Lakers re alleged George tampering. (Vecsey)

    Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If the Lakers have to forfeit draft picks, I'd like to see those picks come to the Pacers to somewhat make up for Paul's decreased trade value.

    Of course if it costs the Lakers two first round picks but they still end up with PG they'll be happy. They'll feel the tampering was worth it.
    we'll get no form of "compensation." if the Lakers lose picks or something those picks will just cease to exist in whatever draft it is. nothing about our situation is going to change.

  45. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •