Thread: Pacers play it safe with rookie

Default Pacers play it safe with rookie

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...TS04/507120411

Pacers play it safe with rookie

By Mike Wells
    mike.wells@indystar.com

Danny Granger's debut in an Indiana Pacers uniform could be put on hold.

The Pacers might hold out their first-round pick from this week's summer league in Minneapolis because a knee injury has not completely healed.

"His knee is structurally fine, but he's at about 80 percent strength-wise of where he needs to be," Pacers coach Rick Carlisle said. "We're going to make sure his strength level gets to where it needs to be before we push it. We feel like there's no need to take that kind of risk."

Granger, the No. 17 pick in last month's NBA draft, injured his left knee in January while at the University of New Mexico. He was expected to be out several weeks after having surgery, but missed just three games.

"I came back earlier then they thought and with the draft camp and everything, I didn't have any time to rehab it," Granger said.

The Pacers, who are holding a rookie/free agent camp at Conseco Fieldhouse until Thursday, will play five games in Minnesota's summer league July 15-19.

Granger is taking part in non-contact drills and he's expected to travel to Minneapolis with the team.

"We're going to do a lot of skill-type things with him," Carlisle said. "He can do a lot of stuff; he just won't be scrimmaging."

Jones sitting, watching

Restricted free agent James Jones has watched as some of the marquee free agents have agreed to contract terms with teams around the league. He knows his time will come.

"Right now it's all about the major free agents getting their deals," Jones said from his home in Miami. "Once those guys get done, things should pick up for some of us other players. It's not discouraging."

By being a restricted free agent, the Pacers can match any offer made to Jones up to the midlevel exception, which is about $5 million a year. Jones isn't expected to get that high of an offer. Pacers officials have said they want to re-sign Jones.

Jones declined to say which teams have shown interest, but Detroit and San Antonio are believed to like the 6-8 swingman. Jones averaged 4.9 points and 2.3 rebounds in 75 games, including 24 starts, last season.

"The Pacers are a team I want to play for," said Jones, who was a second-round pick in 2003. "They took a chance on me when other teams didn't want to and I'm grateful for that."

Going to China

Pacers assistant coach Chad Forcier is leaving for Beijing today to take part in Basketball Without Borders, a basketball camp that features 50 of Asia's top players.

"I've never gone overseas to do this type of thing before," Forcier said. "Our organization wants to take part in these types of things and this is something I want to do."

Among the NBA players expected to take part in the four-day camp, which starts Thursday, are Houston's Yao Ming and San Antonio's Tony Parker.

Default Re: Pacers play it safe with rookie

oh great
    "GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER

This is worrisome. Granger had surgery some time last winter did he not? And his knee is only 80% rehabbed from that? We were assured that Granger fell to us for the most marginal of reasons. Perhaps our crack medical staff missed something that other teams did not. Calling Dr.Dyrek!

I'm sure he'll be ok. Keep in mind this is the team that's had to deal with Bender for the past 5 years or so. Erring on the side of caution and getting him ready for the regular season is the priority.

Quote Originally Posted by rabidpacersfan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm sure he'll be ok. Keep in mind this is the team that's had to deal with Bender for the past 5 years or so. Erring on the side of caution and getting him ready for the regular season is the priority.
    I hope you're right. Caution would be advisable, especially during the summer, but I still don't see how a knee only recovers 80% strength in what 6, 7 months. I also have yet to get any details on what the makeup of our medical/training staff consists of, personnel-wise. So I guess my skeptism is based on what we experienced last year.

Here's the optimist view: If he was good enough to get drafted in the first round with a knee that's only 80%, just think how good he'll be when it's healed.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by McClintic Sphere
    I hope you're right. Caution would be advisable, especially during the summer, but I still don't see how a knee only recovers 80% strength in what 6, 7 months. I also have yet to get any details on what the makeup of our medical/training staff consists of, personnel-wise. So I guess my skeptism is based on what we experienced last year.
    Because to get full recovery you have to do rehab, not just be able to use the injury-affected area. What they are wanting to do is to actually get him through rehab activity so he can get the remaining 20% back.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Not a big deal IMO.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Guess that's why Granger fell so low. Hope he's not another Bender.

Also doesn't sound like JJ is a lock to resign with us. Although that's been a pretty logical assumption for a while now.

IndyToad
    Dust-free

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have to agree no big deal.. Granger had the surgery then played on the knee during the Conference tourney , playing well enough to get tourney MVP over Andrew Bogut. He then played in the NCAA tourney.

He hurried back to play , then had all the pre draft tryouts. As Danny said , he's not had time to do strengthening therapy yet.

I had surgery for a meniscus tear getting it from 80% to 100% will only take a matter of weeks. The fact he was playing on it after 3 games probably about 14 days , shows the tear was minor. Thus strengthing it with exercises will be no problem.

He could play on it now , but why risk it? Its 11 weeks before training game thats more than enough time.

No structural damage is the key. But it is too bad he won't get to play in the summer league.

Mood

It's worrisome, but at the same time with this 80% knee he went through all the pre-draft workouts and the like, and did really well.

SjA3837

I had very minor knee surgery, twice. Both times, it was because my knee cap would pop out of place.

All they did was cut some of the tissue so it would stop pulling so hard on the knee cap.

It took me about a month before I could walk without a limp. And it wasn't until about 4 month until i could actually start running and doing the things I used to.

However, I still wasn't as fast, or able to do some of the things I could do until now.. about 12 month later.

I know I didn't have all the medical staff that he has, but I play football for Northcentral; and the two medical doctors bother work for IU, and one works with the Colts also.

But this was just a minor minor surgery, so I don't think Granger still being 80% is much of a concern.

I would have liked to see Danny in the summer league but this is good if is hurt let him get that knee to a 100%, you dont want him getting hurt in a damn summer league game.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

WTF - SUmmer league hasn't started and we're talking about injuries again.

I would bet double that this is from what they learned with Bender. First you heal, then you rehab until you get FULL (or close) strength back, THEN you play.

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by PacerMan
    I would bet double that this is from what they learned with Bender. First you heal, then you rehab until you get FULL (or close) strength back, THEN you play.
    agreed...i bet theres a bit of paranoia where young stars and knees are concerned around pacer central these days...

Wolves: McCants injured, debut might be delayed
    Kent Youngblood, Star Tribune
    July 13, 2005 WOLF0713.NOTES

Rashad McCants' debut in a Timberwolves jersey could be delayed, perhaps until veterans camp this fall.

McCants, the Wolves' first-round draft choice in June's draft, aggravated a groin muscle pull in workouts over the weekend, was held out of much of Tuesday's minicamp practice and could miss summer league action at Target Center this weekend.

No final decision has been made about McCants' status, but, listening to new coach Dwane Casey, McCants sounds rather doubtful.

"We have to err on the side of caution because of his injury," Casey said. "I would rather have him [healthy] in veterans camp than have him here in summer league."

Sounds kind of familiar doesn't it.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....