Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
Results 201 to 225 of 299

Thread: ABADays in Iraq/cramerica in Qatar

  1. #201
    Fear my small avatar Gyron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    6,366

    Default Re: ABADays/esabyrn333 in Iraq

    My Brother left last Wednesday for Iraq as well. He's been on the board reading under my account in the past, but not registered himself, so I guess you could say that makes 4.

    ABA I told him that if he makes it to balad to let me know and I'd have him look you up.

    He's in a Stryker unit. He thinks they are headed to Baghdad, but he's not sure,

  2. #202
    Boom Baby'er ABADays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Coliseum
    Posts
    6,248

    Default Re: ABADays/esabyrn333 in Iraq

    That would be my guess as well. Interesting - as I write we are under a red alert for mortars.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

  3. #203
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    2,134

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: ABADays/esabyrn333 in Iraq

    Hey guys, in Qutar right now. Flying out to Iraq in a few days. I'll let you know when I get into Kirkuk.

    Later.

  4. #204
    Fear my small avatar Gyron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    6,366

    Default Re: ABADays/cramerica/esabyrn333 in Iraq

    Be safe Cramerica.

    Keep us up to date. Let us know if you need anything.

  5. #205
    Member esabyrn333's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Rapid City, South Dakota
    Age
    37
    Posts
    697

    Default Re: ABADays/cramerica/esabyrn333 in Iraq

    cramerica are you army or AF? I'm about to leave kirkuk in a few weeks. Maybe your my replacement. A new requirement I heard is to have on PD member at Kirkuk at all times. Maybe I will see you around.

  6. #206
    Boom Baby'er ABADays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Coliseum
    Posts
    6,248

    Default Re: ABADays/cramerica/esabyrn333 in Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by esabyrn333 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    cramerica are you army or AF? I'm about to leave kirkuk in a few weeks. Maybe your my replacement. A new requirement I heard is to have on PD member at Kirkuk at all times. Maybe I will see you around.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

  7. #207
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    2,134

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: ABADays/cramerica/esabyrn333 in Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by esabyrn333 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    cramerica are you army or AF? I'm about to leave kirkuk in a few weeks. Maybe your my replacement. A new requirement I heard is to have on PD member at Kirkuk at all times. Maybe I will see you around.
    I'm in the AF. In comm actually. You?

  8. #208
    Member esabyrn333's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Rapid City, South Dakota
    Age
    37
    Posts
    697

    Default Re: ABADays/cramerica/esabyrn333 in Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by cramerica View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm in the AF. In comm actually. You?

    I am CE an Electrician. Here I have been doing FP Escort duty. Been a long 4 months. Can't wait to get out of here.

  9. #209
    Member esabyrn333's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Rapid City, South Dakota
    Age
    37
    Posts
    697

    Default Re: ABADays/cramerica/esabyrn333 in Iraq

    Well guys I just made it home last night. So I guess you can take my name off of this thread. All I can say is it feels damn good to be back home

  10. #210
    Fear my small avatar Gyron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    6,366

    Default Re: ABADays/cramerica/esabyrn333 in Iraq

    Welcome back Esabyrn333. Glad you made it home Safe.

  11. #211
    Boom Baby'er ABADays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Coliseum
    Posts
    6,248

    Default Re: ABADays/cramerica/esabyrn333 in Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by esabyrn333 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well guys I just made it home last night. So I guess you can take my name off of this thread. All I can say is it feels damn good to be back home
    Hm - Iraq always reminds me of the Gulf Coast

    Was this your last deployment? If so, great for you!
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

  12. #212
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    2,134

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: ABADays/cramerica in Iraq

    Good to hear you made it back. I still have around 3 1/2 months left or something like that.

    ABA, I got a couple of comm guys over in Balad with you. Let me know if you are familiar with comm over there (not really sure how the base is set up).

  13. #213
    Resident Cyclist TripleThreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Deep in the armpit of Texas
    Posts
    140

    Default Re: ABADays/cramerica in Iraq

    My cousin's husband is in the 82nd Airborne. in the 60 months after 9/11, he spent 49 of them in Afghanistan. He came home a year ago, and was promised that they would be home for 2 years, and most likely 3.

    A few weeks ago, they were sent back over there, this time to Iraq.

    You guys have my utmost gratitude. I was on station for the end of Desert Storm, and remained on station for the start of Operation Southern Watch. Spent 2 additional tours over there after OSW, and I wouldn't want to go back. Those 2 Ops were cakewalks compared to what's going on over there now.

    My thoughts and prayers are with you both. When I was there, we didn't have the internet (thanks, Al) or e-mail to keep in touch. I'm glad that we can be here for you guys to have some real conversations with people back in the world.

    Take care, and God Bless.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

  14. #214
    Member esabyrn333's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Rapid City, South Dakota
    Age
    37
    Posts
    697

    Default Re: ABADays/cramerica/esabyrn333 in Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by ABADays View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hm - Iraq always reminds me of the Gulf Coast

    Was this your last deployment? If so, great for you!
    No I am supposed to be getting orders out of here (Biloxi) soon. Being CE I will be going back over there many more times. I got 10 years left before I retire. Maybe next time I will get Balad. I heard the MWR program there was very nice. Most likly because of you. But everyone I meet at Qutar said it was really nice there all things considering.

  15. #215
    Boom Baby'er ABADays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Coliseum
    Posts
    6,248

    Default Re: ABADays/cramerica/esabyrn333 in Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by esabyrn333 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No I am supposed to be getting orders out of here (Biloxi) soon. Being CE I will be going back over there many more times. I got 10 years left before I retire. Maybe next time I will get Balad. I heard the MWR program there was very nice. Most likly because of you. But everyone I meet at Qutar said it was really nice there all things considering.
    Thanks TT

    Ahhh - 10 years, so you are a lifer!

    Yep - (long puffy sigh) - I am totally responsible for the MWR being what it is. I'm the man. I'm the guy.

    Actually, since I was at a FOB before in Baghdad, I looked at this the place the first time I got here and thought "holy moly - this is a military Club Med". Guys here have it really good and no clue. The 33nd Expeditionary Wing is here - does that hold true though all of Iraq?
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

  16. #216
    Member esabyrn333's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Rapid City, South Dakota
    Age
    37
    Posts
    697

    Default Re: ABADays/cramerica in Iraq

    I think so I am not sure. I know Balad is the main base that was in my chain. Everyone said it was a club med. Plenty of Alarm Reds and the typical stuff. But I heard you had everything that Quatar had. Movie theater and everything. Really nice gyms. Kirkuk ain't bad its kinda small but I liked it better than Cutter really.

  17. #217
    Boom Baby'er ABADays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Coliseum
    Posts
    6,248

    Default Re: ABADays/cramerica in Iraq

    Yeah - we have about an average of 17 indirect fire attackes a week. I haven't been to Qatar so I can't compare. This place has an indoor pool, Olympic size outdoor pool, 3 gyms, 3 recreation centers with phone and computer banks, indoor and outdoor basketball and volleyball courts and a full size movie theatre. Not much for guys here to complain about.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

  18. #218
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    2,134

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: ABADays/cramerica in Iraq

    Being this is my second time in Kirkuk...I gotta say it's not all that bad. It is small as was pointed out, but everything is in walking distance. Qutar...I don't know about that place either. Everytime I go through there, I can't wait to leave. It just doesn't do anything for me. But people who go there seem to like but I don't care for it. Kirkuk has a pool, but it's not olympic size or anything. The gyms here are small, but they have nice equipment (or atleast equipment that isn't all worn down). They are building a new DFAC right now but that probably won't be done by the time I leave.

    But like I said...I'd rather be here than in Qutar.

  19. #219
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    2,134

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: ABADays/cramerica in Iraq

    Also...speaking of being at the 10 year mark. I hit my 10 year mark in about 5 days and I'm actually thinking about getting out. I'm in the IT career, so there are alot of opportunities for me out there right now...including some contractor positions over here and Afganistan.

    TSgt results come out in 2 weeks. If I make it...then I will probably stay in. If I don't, then I'm probably getting out. It's my 4th time taking that damn thing, so hopefully I get it because I'm not sure if I really want to get out or not.

  20. #220
    Boom Baby'er ABADays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Coliseum
    Posts
    6,248

    Default Re: ABADays/cramerica in Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by cramerica View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Also...speaking of being at the 10 year mark. I hit my 10 year mark in about 5 days and I'm actually thinking about getting out. I'm in the IT career, so there are alot of opportunities for me out there right now...including some contractor positions over here and Afganistan.

    TSgt results come out in 2 weeks. If I make it...then I will probably stay in. If I don't, then I'm probably getting out. It's my 4th time taking that damn thing, so hopefully I get it because I'm not sure if I really want to get out or not.
    A lot of good opportunities for you as a contractor in IT - not to mention the money. Afganistan though - hmmmmmmm - I don't know about that.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

  21. #221
    Grumpy Old Man (PD host) able's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    8,623

    Default Re: ABADays/cramerica in Iraq

    ABA, email me about some of thise IT contracts? I might be interested
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

    If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!


  22. #222
    Fear my small avatar Gyron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    6,366

    Default Re: ABADays/cramerica in Iraq

    Well, I heard from my brother today. He was there for one of the deadly insurgent attacks this week. His stryker was damaged pretty bad by an IED, but everyone in his Stryker is ok. He lost 2 guys under his command however when their stryker got hit at the same time. Very bad week all around for him. Just glad to hear he's ok.

    He said his stryker was repaired and they were back out on missions in 2 days. They gave them the day off today to have a ceremony for the guys who died in the attack, but they go right back out tomorrow.

    He's really down. ABA, Cramerica, Esabryn what do you say to the guys to help them through the tough times like that? I wish I knew whatt o say other than keep your head up and that I am proud of him.

  23. #223
    Boom Baby'er ABADays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Coliseum
    Posts
    6,248

    Default Re: ABADays/cramerica in Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by Gyron View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, I heard from my brother today. He was there for one of the deadly insurgent attacks this week. His stryker was damaged pretty bad by an IED, but everyone in his Stryker is ok. He lost 2 guys under his command however when their stryker got hit at the same time. Very bad week all around for him. Just glad to hear he's ok.

    He said his stryker was repaired and they were back out on missions in 2 days. They gave them the day off today to have a ceremony for the guys who died in the attack, but they go right back out tomorrow.

    He's really down. ABA, Cramerica, Esabryn what do you say to the guys to help them through the tough times like that? I wish I knew whatt o say other than keep your head up and that I am proud of him.
    Gyron

    Where is he? Speicher, Liberty or Slayer. I know you said he was out by the airport (BIAP). There isn't a lot that can be said in a situation like this. What you said to him is probably the best thing he could have heard. I've been reading about how tough it's been for their units.

    They all have our thoughts and prayers.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

  24. #224
    Fear my small avatar Gyron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    6,366

    Default Re: ABADays/cramerica in Iraq

    He's at Camp Liberty. He said the camp itself is actually pretty nice for them.

    He's always been a tough kid. He is a platoon leader, so he has 30-40 guys under him. I know he's taking it personally when he loses anyone, blaming himself. I keep telling him that he can't blame himself when something like that happens.

    Being in the Stryker units, I know he is put into a lot of the toughest situations. Thats what he was trained for. He's really good at what he does. I just hope he makes it home safe and doesn't have too many close calls like that.

  25. #225
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    2,134

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: ABADays/cramerica in Iraq

    Hey, just found out I made TSgt. Looks like I'll be staying in.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •