Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: ABADays in Iraq/cramerica in Qatar

Default ABADays in Iraq/cramerica in Qatar

Just thought I would give you guys a quick update. Finally got to Iraq about 5 days ago. First few days are quite frustrating. You have to go to a Transition Camp and get processed. It is the most stark, dusty, hottest place I have ever been - plus the wind always blows because it's so open. I had to file for homesteading because I had so much dust in my eyes, lungs, nose and mouth I qualified as a land owner.

After a couple of days, I got transferred to Camp Slayer which was my assignment. Went through the whole processing thing and got to the last stop and they told me I had been reassigned. Great! Camp Slayer was like an oasis in the desert. Anyway, I was a bit pissed because ONCE AGAIN I had to deal with 165 pounds of luggage and equipment.

So back to the Transitional Camp for a day. My new assignment was the Green Zone right in the heart of Baghdad. This is basically a combination of 4 camps and I am now at Camp Prosperity. To get here, you have to ride what's called a Rhino bus - an amour plated bus. Plus, you are required to wear helmet and flack jacket. You know, like riding IndyGo to certain parts of Indy. All in all, it took 5 hours to go 50 miles.

The green zone was a pleasant surprise. A lot of palm trees and lakes. We use a lot of "bombed out" facilities. I kept looking around for General Patton. Some of the facilities we use look exactly like those in the film. For the most part, things have exceeded my expectations. The people I work with in MWR (Morale, Welfare and Recreation) are really good people and the facilities are fine. Right now I kind of rove around to three different ones. Yesterday, one of my journeys was interesting in that a helicopter landed RIGHT behind us on the street.

A couple of friends have asked the question so I thought I would pass along the answers here. Is it really as hot as they say it is? Yes, it is. Average temperature is around 112 but I understand yesterday was 121. You can laugh if you want but dry heat does make a difference. The 112 with about 5% humidity isn't as bad as Indy at 95 with 95% humidity. Do you ever hear explosions? Well, I've only been in Iraq for a week but yes you do. You probably read about the guy who was a human bomb killing 42 people at a recruitment center. That happened about 900 yards away followed by massive gunfire. Do you feel safe? Yes - it's not been an issue with me from day one.

I should be getting my private living quarters within the next couple of weeks where I will have my own internet. Then I can start posting more. Until then - keep posting. Coming to the Digest makes me feel much closer to home.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Default Re: OT-ABADays in Iraq

Stay safe ABA.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I understand what you go through with the heat. It's constantly 105-115 here during the summer, but since it's a dry heat, it doesn't feel as bad as even 95 degrees with a lot of humidity.

And please stay safe.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Thank you for serving our country. Thanks for the update. I believe you posting
    about Iraq helps us all understand a little better what is going on over there.

owl

Your post is quite interesting and detailed. Thanks for providing that behind-the-scenes look at army life. Stay safe man. The Fieldhouse is calling you back.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have no idea what to say to you ABAdays. Pride? Fear for you? Yes, I suppose so, but I also know that you are doing what you are supposed to be doing right now. For whatever reason, you are there doing what was meant to be. Please keep us as informed as you can without endangering yourself or your buddies and get back here soon.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

I look forward to hearing more updates from behind the lines. Thanks for the insight ABA and please keep yourself safe over there.

Thank you, ABADays. Stay safe.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

For sure, Be SAFE! I thank you for your service for the United States as well as the Iraqi people who want the freedoms we take for granted each and every day. Keep making the difference. That is what it is all about. You and every US citizen helping in Iraq with the military, et. al, are the true heroes. Thank you and God bless!

Stay safe, ABADays. I can't imagine myself in your situation.

I must say I never thought there'd be a day ANYONE would access my site from Iraq.

Sports Logo

Stay safe and come home. By this time next year...you will have a Pacer NBA Championship to come home to.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

I hope that:

1) Your work and travels are safe and happy.
    2) You bring fun and happiness to the Americans you encounter through your work.
    3) You are being well paid for the service you are providing.

See you stateside.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Great to hear from you, ABADays. Back in the day, my old band toured Korea through MWR... quality folks, all of them. I know that any taste of home is a big deal to those stationed abroad... happy to do my part.

Stay safe.

Good luck ABA, I hope you can stay safe.

I have heard that the US Army is under orders to block this (Juan Cole's blog) political website from net access to their soldiers in Iraq. Can you confirm this?

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Stay safe, ABADays. I can't imagine myself in your situation.

I must say I never thought there'd be a day ANYONE would access my site from Iraq.
    Yes, well . . . I never really thought I would be posting from Iraq either

Thanks for all the good well wishes guys!
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Mood

DIDN'T ABADays mention this as his location??

From todays USAToday

Blasts hit Green Zone; purported al-Qaeda members nabbed in Iraq
    BAGHDAD, Iraq (AP) — Two suicide bombers struck a checkpoint near the heavily fortified Green Zone in Baghdad Thursday, killing at least two policemen, but a third attacker was wounded and captured by U.S. and Iraqi security forces, officials said.

An Iraqi explosive detonation team disarms a suicide bomber vest attached to the body of an alleged attacker in Baghdad.
    By U.S. Army/AP

The U.S. military, meanwhile, announced the arrests of two purportedly key members of Iraq's most-feared terror group, including one suspected in the kidnap-slaying of an Egyptian envoy and attacks on senior diplomats from Pakistan and Bahrain.

The coordinated attacks by a suicide car bomber and two men strapped with explosives on Thursday rocked the capital just one day after a horrific blast at a poor east Baghdad neighborhood that killed as many as 27 people, including a U.S. soldier and 18 youths who had swarmed around a U.S. Humvee to get candy and toys.

The car bomb exploded first at a checkpoint near the Green Zone, where the U.S. Embassy and Iraqi government offices are located, followed by two bombers on foot, according to the military.

"A suicide bomber detonated himself and the other suicide bomber tried to run away from the scene," the military said in a statement, adding that Iraqi police shot and wounded the surviving attacker and disarmed the explosives he had packed in a vest.

al-Qaeda in Iraq claimed responsibility in a Web posting, but its authenticity couldn't be verified.

Five policemen and four civilians were taken to Baghdad's Yarmouk Hospital for treatment, emergency room Dr. Muhanad Jawad said. Two of the policemen later died, he said.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays
    My new assignment was the Green Zone right in the heart of Baghdad.
    Indeed he did. Let's hope he is alright.

3ptmiller

My best wishes for you ABADays, i admire you !

Hopefully he responds soon

[QUOTE=skyfire]Good luck ABA, I hope you can stay safe.

I have heard that the US Army is under orders to block this (Juan Cole's blog) political website from net access to their soldiers in Iraq. Can you confirm this?[/QUOTE]

This part has no place in this thread, just my opinion.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Mood

[QUOTE=Peck]
    Quote Originally Posted by skyfire
    Good luck ABA, I hope you can stay safe.

I have heard that the US Army is under orders to block this (Juan Cole's blog) political website from net access to their soldiers in Iraq. Can you confirm this?[/QUOTE]

This part has no place in this thread, just my opinion.
    I agree 100%....can we get that post deleted?

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    No. That post doesn't violate any forum rules.

It was isolated and ignored by anyone to whom it didn't apply until people started to make a big deal out of it.

Skyfire is well within his privledge to ask his only known contact in the U.S. military a question that he couldn't ask anywhere else. Could it have been done in a PM? Sure. But so could 70% of the posts on this forum.

The continued and expected politicaliztion of the question, however, will be confined to the Politics forum.

Let's try to keep this thread as one of well wishes for one of the few true heros this country has.
    Well said.

If anyone wants to talk about that more, start a thread on the Politics board; this is a focus on ABADays.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Thank you, ABA. And, be careful.

Also, how long are you going to be there?
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

That's the 2nd post that suggests people didn't even read the article indygeezer posted; right now I just want to know if he's OK...

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm really looking forward to ABADays' next post. I hope you're okay, buddy.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you