Thread: OT - Anybody been to San Diego?

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default OT - Anybody been to San Diego?

I'm going to be leaving to San Diego for like a week or so, and I need to know of some good places to eat there.

Thanks in advance.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Zesty

Default Re: OT - Anybody been to San Diego?

Sorry, would love to go but haven't been yet.

if you're going to be downtown, there's a place for breakfast called the Cheese Shop that's excellent. Don't remember the street name, but it's about 4-5 blocks from the convention center area - it's a local landmark, so anyone could give you directions probably...

Enjoy!
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

I took basic training there, and I visited there a few times when stationed in California, but you know what, I hardly remember the place.

Hmmm, all I can remember is they have a nice zoo, I can't remember any place I ate.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hey, one of my best friends just left for San Diego to serve his next 3 years in the Navy. However he thinks he'll be headed to Iraq or Iran at right about a year.

I know this doesn't help you, but thats what I thought when I saw San Diego. On the plus side he says its really really nice out there.
    All in for DG33

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Good places to eat? What you need to do is center in on the hip neighborhoods. If you want good food and music, you need to go into some of the places where "eccentric culture" thrives.

My top picks (shamefully ripped off from here http://sandiego.about.com/cs/neighbo...=ss15_sandiego ) --

Hillcrest
    New York has Greenwich Village. San Francisco has the Castro. Vancouver has the West End. And San Diego has Hillcrest, our closest thing to a diverse, lively, hip and colorful neighborhood. This gay-friendly 'hood just north of Balboa Park is a mix of apartments and bungalows mixed with a pedestrian-friendly business district. Best Bets: Landmark Cinemas, any restaurant. Bus Routes: 1,3,11,16,25

University Heights
    University Heights is located between Hillcrest and North Park. Similar in ways to both (not as lively as Hilcrest; not as worn as North Park), it is a mix of Craftsman bungalows and apartments. Its small retail area is at the north end of Park Blvd. where it turns into Adams Ave. Best Bets: Adams Avenue Grill, Twiggs Coffee House, Parkhouse Eatery, Trolley Park. Bus Routes: 1,11,15,115,990

For beers by the Water:
    Ocean Beach
    O.B is more like a town within the city, but I'll include it here because it has a little business district and it truly does have a neighborhood feel, albeit one steeped in the '60s and '70s. Ocean Beach has resisted gentrification, and for that it should be commended. Because it wouldn't be O.B. if it didn't have it's funky charm. Best Bets: The O.B. Pier, Dog Beach, Winston's. Bus Routes: 923,35

Or, if you want to stay downtown you could go to the "little italy" section. Fair warning - it kind of sucks - especially if you've been to a little italy in another city.

Little Italy
    Little Italy has always been a neat ethnic enclave within downtown, but only in the past year or so has it become a bonified "cool" neighborhood, thanks to the addition of new condo highrises. Plus, the business district has been refurbished, including it's own nifty street-spanning neighborhood sign. Best Bets: India Street, Mimmo's Italian Village, Indigo Grill, Filippi's. Bus Routes: 50, 150, 810, Trolley

The most common place for visitors to eat is the Old Town Mexican Cafe, in Old Town SD. I don't especially care for it but everyone I go with disagrees. It is fairly authintic and across from the Whaley House, one of two California certified haunted houses.

There are a lot of other places to eat in Old Town as well. The Gaslamp district has a lot of nice places to eat as well. I don't go often enough though to have a favorite place.